Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I didn't mean anything by it! I didn't even know L Ron Hubbard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Painkiller posted:

Just watched the "The Library", Philip Baker Hall is AMAZING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF2gZu3ygEQ

That's like an ice cream man named Cone!

Mr. Bookman is probably my favorite one-off character of the entire series.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Poque posted:

That's like an ice cream man named Cone!

Mr. Bookman is probably my favorite one-off character of the entire series.

Definitely. Mr. Bookman is awesome.

"Well I got a flash for ya, joy boy"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

At the time I was disappointed in it because I'd let myself get too caught up in the hype of THE BIG FINALE but as the years have gone by and I've thought about it, it really was a stupendous finale. These horrible, horrible people finally having every horrible thing they've ever done come back on them and forced to sit there and suffer society's condemnation... and yet they still remain unaffected and indifferent to it all. Doubly effective because it forced the viewers to accept that, there's no getting around it, they might love Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine but they ARE horrible, horrible people.

What makes me laugh now looking back is all the people who were convinced that the show would end with a marriage, like Jerry and Elaine getting married or something, which was just.... I mean... did these people ever watch the show?

I never really raged against the finale but I don't buy the brilliance of the "reveal" that they're all horrible people. We already realize they're horrible people. That's the punchline of basically every episode of the entire show. It's not like the finale did anything new in that regard.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I never really raged against the finale but I don't buy the brilliance of the "reveal" that they're all horrible people. We already realize they're horrible people. That's the punchline of basically every episode of the entire show. It's not like the finale did anything new in that regard.

I don't think it's the reveal that they are horrible people so much as they finally have to face that fact AND actually have some consequence for all the terrible things they've been pulling off over the years. Plus at the end they still don't even really care, which is hilarious, to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, and there honestly were a lot of people who didn't seem to realize how horrible Jerry and friends were - probably the same people who expected the show to end with Jerry and Elaine getting married, people who thought Seinfeld and Friends were the same thing.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
I have a friend who prefers the Friends finale over the Seinfeld one because "they all got happy" at the end. This put a dent in our friendship, because Friends is utter trash, especially so when compared to Seinfeld.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
the finale was great in theory for every reason you're stating. In execution though, it's not that funny, aside from jackie childs' moments.The flashbacks were only funny if you were watching the episode in context, rather than just "they were having a contest!!"

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

Mystic_Squid posted:

I have a friend who prefers the Friends finale over the Seinfeld one because "they all got happy" at the end. This put a dent in our friendship, because Friends is utter trash, especially so when compared to Seinfeld.

I told myself long ago that I couldn't be a friend of anybody that doesn't like Seinfeld. Is it silly? Probably? Juvenile? Maybe. Nonsense? Quite possibly.

But I still stand by it every day, because those guys...those are not my kinda guys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Infamous Shane posted:

I told myself long ago that I couldn't be a friend of anybody that doesn't like Seinfeld. Is it silly? Probably? Juvenile? Maybe. Nonsense? Quite possibly.

But I still stand by it every day, because those guys...those are not my kinda guys.

So, basically what you're saying is 95% of the population is unfriendable?

UNFRIENDABLE.

So how are all these people gettin' together?

Alcohol.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So Elaine was dating a guy named Joel Riffkin, who happened to share his name with a serial killer. She is looking through a sports magazine and suggesting names for him to change to. First she suggests Deion. After that, she suggests O.J. This was in 1993. :stare:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Chunk posted:

So Elaine was dating a guy named Joel Riffkin, who happened to share his name with a serial killer. She is looking through a sports magazine and suggesting names for him to change to. First she suggests Deion. After that, she suggests O.J. This was in 1993. :stare:

And guess which lawyer Jackie Chiles is based on.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anybody else find themselves using Seinfeld quotes in their normal conversations like all the time? They're always the first ones to pop into my head in a situation, along with things from Arrested Development. One of my favorite moments was when I saw a guy fixing an ATM and he had the whole bottom of it pulled out. I went up to him, pointed to the money slot, and said "I think the money comes out up here." He gave me the dirtiest look I think I've ever received in my life.

"Ukraine is not weak!" also popped up a lot when my sister was stationed there during her stint in the Peace Corps.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Most of my insincere friends know exactly where they can stuff their "sorry"s.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I use "that's a shame" pretty much on a daily basis, and I'm disappointed that no one has called out on quoting Seinfeld yet.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Poque posted:

"Ukraine is not weak!" also popped up a lot when my sister was stationed there during her stint in the Peace Corps.

I think it is literally impossible to play a game of risk and not have that said at least once.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for ruining my daddy's business you fat gently caress!

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Who's this?

It's Vincent.

Of Vincent's Picks?

The same.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Your Proud Pal posted:

Most of my insincere friends know exactly where they can stuff their "sorry"s.

I don't know what that means.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chunk posted:

I was sitting on the toilet the other day thinking about posting this observation in this thread :stare:

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
"What are you saying?"
"I'm not saying anything"
"You're saying something"
"What could I be saying?"
"Well you're not saying nothing you must be saying something"
"If I was saying something I would've said it"
"Well why don't you say it?"
"I said it"
"What'd you say?"
"Nothing!"

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
"Nope, you said spite. Too late."

I always used to think that guy was Dan Aykroyd as a kid.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Tender Bender posted:

The thing is, their horribleness was really exaggerated in the last season or two. In the earlier years, the characters were often trying to help people, we even saw Elaine and the others involved in charity work. Their efforts to help others usually failed in some dramatic way (Babu) but they weren't terrible people. The reason Seinfeld became a "water cooler show" is because we could relate to them.

By the final season, everyone's worst qualities were dialed up to eleven. Jerry went from being immature to a complete child, George went from being a nervous Woody Allen-type to turn into his shouting father, and Elaine went from being a little self-centered to a complete bitch. Kramer probably suffered the least, just because he was always a fairly simple character.

The finale seemed like a reaction against those horrible people from the last year or two, and not the characters from the first five or six seasons that we enjoyed watching.

I think it is telling that the finale was written by Larry David, who had left the show two years earlier. It's like he came back just to trash what the characters had became in his absence.

(And no, I never wanted Jerry and Elaine to get married...)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I've said it before but I still believe it - the reason the finale wasn't good had nothing to do with the jail part, or whether they were good or bad people.

Seinfeld was a show about "nothing" - commenting on and making fun of the minutia of the way people interact (and often exaggerating those things for comedy). For the finale to be about a near plane crash, a giant media-circus trial, and a big convoluted plot just felt...not like Seinfeld.

They should have done an episode like the Curb reunion episode - a normal episode of the show where everything continues on like usual.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Invis posted:

Thanks for ruining my daddy's business you fat gently caress!

I use that one on almost a daily basis.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ishamael posted:

They should have done an episode like the Curb reunion episode - a normal episode of the show where everything continues on like usual.

Yeah, pretty much. The par for finales is to go out with a bang though, which doesn't exactly work when you have a show about nothing.

Also, I've never seen the Curb reunion show. :ohdear:

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DentArthurDent posted:

By the final season, everyone's worst qualities were dialed up to eleven. Jerry went from being immature to a complete child, George went from being a nervous Woody Allen-type to turn into his shouting father, and Elaine went from being a little self-centered to a complete bitch. Kramer probably suffered the least, just because he was always a fairly simple character.

Everyone's life turns to poo poo in the last two seasons, too; Jerry's career goes nowhere (gently caress, even Bania gets a sitcom instead of him), George is alone and perpetually angry, and Elaine has her hosed-up relationship with Puddy. Those episodes weren't terrible, but David's absence is more than apparent if you're watching the seasons in consecutive order.

They did take it too far at times, though. In the backwards episode, everyone is so damned awful to each other that it's kind of hard to watch.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
One of my favorite scenes is when George gets back with Susan and as they are walking up the steps to her apartment, he pauses for just a second and has the "what have I done?!" look on his face.

Also when George is on the phone with Jerry and is talking about the Mets game and you hear Susan from the bedroom, "George.....I taped Mad About You!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DentArthurDent posted:

George went from being a nervous Woody Allen-type to turn into his shouting father

Seems like a logical progression to me.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

DentArthurDent posted:

The thing is, their horribleness was really exaggerated in the last season or two. In the earlier years, the characters were often trying to help people, we even saw Elaine and the others involved in charity work. Their efforts to help others usually failed in some dramatic way (Babu) but they weren't terrible people. The reason Seinfeld became a "water cooler show" is because we could relate to them.

Yeah, but in the episode about Babu's restaurant, Jerry was pretty much only "helping" him because that made him feel like a really awesome person ("mom was right, I really am special"). And Elaine was only there to help George cheat on an IQ test.

Bonzo posted:

Also when George is on the phone with Jerry and is talking about the Mets game and you hear Susan from the bedroom, "George.....I taped Mad About You!"

The best part is the end of that episode, the scene with credits rolling. Just Susan and a very disgruntled George in bed in front of the TV while that "Tell me why I love you like I do, tell me who, etc" theme song plays.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
"Who so belongs only to his age, references only popenjays and mumbo jumbos"

- Tommy C

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Sash! posted:

Seems like a logical progression to me.

Yeah, I don't understand the complaint. :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never been able to wrap my brain around Mad About You being both reality and a TV show for the Seinfeld characters.

Kramer's apartment is some sort of nexus between reality and fiction. No wonder Jerry was so terrified to stay there and its dark power warped him into a Krameresque figure.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Kramer's apartment is some sort of nexus

You're thinking of the corner of first and first.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I haven't seen the last two seasons of Curb. I'd love to but HBO on demand has been stuck on the first half of season 4 for over a month. loving Time Warner assholes.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Walrus posted:

You're thinking of the corner of first and first.

Wait, Famous Original Ray's?

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

Evil Agita posted:

I haven't seen the last two seasons of Curb. I'd love to but HBO on demand has been stuck on the first half of season 4 for over a month. loving Time Warner assholes.

The Seinfeld reunion brought a tear to my eye. It was THAT good. It was the perfect mix of old Seinfeld and new Curb with meta coming out the rear end.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

It's great. I got it through my local library on inter-library loan.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
I'm depressed that seinfeld might be forgotten like "I love lucy." I don't blame seinfeld for getting frustrated when larry king forgot his show was the number 1 show on television.

Although the characters are awful to eachother, seinfeld and george ironically help eachother in difficult situations. Seinfeld is kind enough to bust himself and not squel on jon lovitz for knowing he's faking his illness.. in order to reserve george's parking space. Jerry wrestles an old woman for a marbe rye in orderto save george's relationship.. Elaine and Jerry go out on a limb to lie about vandeley industries. Kramer was willing to do a calzone run. George was kind enough to act as the second dude to help manage Jerry's relationship. George uses his manipulative expertise to help jerry perform the roomate switch. There was absolutely no personal gain on his part! These guys bend over backwards for eachoher.

bruckner fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

bruckner posted:

I'm depressed that seinfeld might be forgotten like "I love lucy." I don't blame seinfeld for getting frustrated when larry king forgot his show was the number 1 show on television.

I'm not sure at all what point you're making here, you're talking about 2 of the most iconic television shows of all time, both of which are still on TV every day.