Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Jack is the smoothest player to ever play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I finally get it. Jones isn't the robot, Annie is. The worst wet blanket robot.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
It's the handshake more than anything else, it's just that perfect robot flourish.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Poor Jack, forever banished to the awkward acquaintance zone, only to one day make it to the friend zone after years of struggle. But he will go no further.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TheHeadSage posted:

Poor Jack, forever banished to the awkward acquaintance zone, only to one day make it to the friend zone after years of struggle. But he will go no further.

I think he dodged a bullet here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Slightly confused on panels 4 and 5. Was Jack going for a goodbye hug and got shut down by Anniebot?

Poor Jack. He fell for the girl who saved him from ether-spiders, not knowing she was an emotionless husk. I know the feeling. :smith:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Everything will end up okay for Jack when a robotics project he and Kat are working on goes wrong and he ends up tarred and feathered as a result.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

inthesto posted:

Everything will end up okay for Jack when a robotics project he and Kat are working on goes wrong and he ends up tarred and feathered as a result.

Kat and Jack will construct some kind of robotic blanket drying device.

And yes 1st gear thats exactly what happened.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

inthesto posted:

For the first half of that sentence I thought Jack's problem was going to get solved by an actual robot Annie.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
I actually laughed at today's page. AWKWARD.

Oh, Annie, I guess you can't help being socially stunted. Raised in a hospital with an emotionally distant father and a now-dead mother. I hope she gets over this eventually. Not necessarily so she can have make-outs with Jack, but just have more normal-ish relationships.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Given how many people were apparently hot for Surma and how much trouble it's caused, I'd be a little surprised if Annie wasn't actively discouraging all possible romantic entanglements. Also I assume she inherited her father's social skills.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Bear in mind Annie probably still feels guilty for how bad Jack got during the whitelegs dilemma (knowing he was sick but not telling anyone etc.) even if Jack's all right with it now. And that's on top of her usual reserved demeanor.

On the other hand, boy have I been there. I got a little skin crawl in sympathy.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Its all in the eyes in the 5th panel. Those eyes could turn down anyone. Its like they look deep into the soul (or something equally deep/metaphorical/creepy)

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Oh Annie, don't cheat on your homework. Just ask for help!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, hey, this hasn't been referenced in like 15 chapters... in one tiny panel before she talks to Jones. Seems like Annie's going to get a "stop being a butt" chapter sort of like Kat had with the injured bird. Her shortcomings have been on display for the past like 10 pages.
Speaking of, I like the detailing of Kat's room with the X-Files poster and bird mask. And a lil' robot dude.

e: okay a few panels. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=365

vvv Seems like it just means that she's putting on a polite face for people that immediately disappears when she leaves them. She also seems more irritable than usual in general.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 15, 2010

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
I'm more concerned what it means that she does the same facial expression sequence in the top row that she did a few comics ago when she left Kat.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh no, Annie! :ohdear:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Annie's got quite a large chip on her shoulder.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Annie :sigh:. I'm sure Kat would help you with your physics homework if you just asked.

Anyone else a little confused as to where this chapter is going? So far we have Surma leading Reynard on, some awkward moments with Jack, and now Annie (probably) about to abuse Kat's trust again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I discussed this with someone, but I seem to be the only one who seems to see it. But I figure the point with this storyline is that Annie thinks her relationship with Jack with similar to that of Surma with Rey - in that she's leading him on, while Jack is totally infatuated with her and doesn't see there's no reciprocation. And that's gotta be depressing.

Also maybe she went to talk to Jack because she wanted help with her homework, but realised how bad an idea getting Jack to help would be.

and annie is a filthy cheat, kat is too good for her

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Fangz posted:

Also maybe she went to talk to Jack because she wanted help with her homework, but realised how bad an idea getting Jack to help would be.
It seems bizarre to me to leave the company of Kat and her mother and then go to ask Jack for help with homework.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
But it'd be embarrassing to have to beg your best friend for help.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

quote:

I discussed this with someone, but I seem to be the only one who seems to see it

You are over thinking it. Annie simply doesn't *get* romance, and doesn't actually like most people. Or most social interactions. And she's kind of a bitch sometimes. Really that simple. We open with the mother being two faced and transition into the daughter being two faced. There is the good, composed Annie face she shows most of the time....and there is the fact she cheats her rear end off and would rather most people screw off away underneath. She's also pretty cool and brave and can be dryly amusing too, but the emotionless bitch thing is part of her too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fecha posted:

It seems bizarre to me to leave the company of Kat and her mother and then go to ask Jack for help with homework.

Are you going to demonstrate your total incompetence and cheating past in front of a teacher and your best (only?) friend (co-incidentally said teacher's daughter)?

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
This is one of those chapters that just makes me wish I could read it right now, all in one go. Aaauuugh...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fangz posted:

I discussed this with someone, but I seem to be the only one who seems to see it. But I figure the point with this storyline is that Annie thinks her relationship with Jack with similar to that of Surma with Rey - in that she's leading him on, while Jack is totally infatuated with her and doesn't see there's no reciprocation. And that's gotta be depressing.

and annie is a filthy cheat, kat is too good for her

Except she's not leading Jack on at all.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Snicket posted:

This is one of those chapters that just makes me wish I could read it right now, all in one go. Aaauuugh...

You could just wait a few weeks...

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Wong Dongson posted:

You are over thinking it. Annie simply doesn't *get* romance, and doesn't actually like most people. Or most social interactions. And she's kind of a bitch sometimes. Really that simple. We open with the mother being two faced and transition into the daughter being two faced. There is the good, composed Annie face she shows most of the time....and there is the fact she cheats her rear end off and would rather most people screw off away underneath. She's also pretty cool and brave and can be dryly amusing too, but the emotionless bitch thing is part of her too.

I think it's less that Annie wants people to screw off and leave her alone and more she's not sure how to interact in those situations. Most of her life she's been living in a hospital, only talking to people who die the next day, or her mother. Not a great place to develop social skills.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I don't know if you can say Annie doesn't understand social interactions... wasn't she picked to start training as a medium precisely because she can pick up and social cues and subtleties?

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Brownie posted:

I don't know if you can say Annie doesn't understand social interactions... wasn't she picked to start training as a medium precisely because she can pick up and social cues and subtleties?

The social cues and subtleties of supernatural beings, with humans she's in over her head.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

No, I'd say she's pretty good at reading people, too. She gave Kat and Ali alone time in the library and later on in Kat's bird person chapter.

Wasn't she the one who made an observation about how uncomfortable Jeanne looked in her portrait, as well? She did correctly see the headmaster wasn't interested in the meeting with Coyote and Ysengrim.

I think she's really just upset at the Court for what happened with Jeanne as well as other things. She's just learned her mother feigned interest in Reynard on behalf of the Court. She might be wondering if those are the types of things she'd be expected to do as Court medium.

Especially when you contrast her running around with spiritual beings in the hospital versus this structured life in the Court. She's just lost her mother and she's in this new environment, she wasn't too enamored with it in the first place. Now she finds out it's a little horrible. I agree with whoever said it earlier, she'll probably get more elaboration about her feelings on the Court soon like Kat did.

The question is whether she'll see the Court favorably again like Kat or not.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Wasn't she the one who made an observation about how uncomfortable Jeanne looked in her portrait, as well?

That was actually Reynardine.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

No, I'd say she's pretty good at reading people, too. She gave Kat and Ali alone time in the library and later on in Kat's bird person chapter.

So Annie was just intentionally being a massive cockblock to Parley and Smitty then?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Calico Noose posted:

So Annie was just intentionally being a massive cockblock to Parley and Smitty then?

Well to be fair, this was presumably only a few minutes after Annie and Parley had nearly gotten themselves soul-killed by the insanely irate spectre of a (mostly) innocent member of the Court who herself was killed solely to act as a 'guardian' on the borders of the Court and the Forest. They both pretty much learned exactly how Jeanne got into that situation too.

Based off of that it was a little understandable as to why Annie was less interested in letting Smitty and Parley have some neckin' time and more interested in getting to the bottom of why the Court is/was led by a bag of dicks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Kat is an exception. As we saw in the Power Station chapter, Annie more or less shuts down emotionally whenever Kat's not around.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The chapter name might hint at the direction this is going. Reynardine told Annie before that she has a fire in her that she got from her mother. I think the "fire spike" in the chapter title might hint at her opening up more, growing into this supposed fiery personality. A lot happened in the last year and even stoic Annie might have a hard time keeping her emotions inside in the face of all that. It would also be a nice way for the comic to end the school year. I was actually half-expecting her to be receptive to Jack's advances.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Events do seem to be conspiring to piss her off. That said the homework thing is entirely her own fault. The question is if she shall do the right thing herself or if she shall get caught first. I suspect she'll get caught and be made to retake the year over the summer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hello RenarDAD JEEZ DO YOU WANT ME TO PASS SCHOOL OR NOT GET OFF MY BACK

Mickey Eye posted:

Events do seem to be conspiring to piss her off. That said the homework thing is entirely her own fault. The question is if she shall do the right thing herself or if she shall get caught first. I suspect she'll get caught and be made to retake the year over the summer.

I don't know about British schools, but in America while you do get in serious trouble if you get caught copying someone's homework, you don't necessarily have to repeat the year. Unless Annie has been doing this all the time off-screen, I think she'll be okay, particularly since she's rather important to the Court.

Is the UK seriously that harsh?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It's harsh apparently everywhere except in america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ka0 posted:

It's harsh apparently everywhere except in america.

Only up until college. Get caught loving around in college and your rear end is effectively banned from all higher education.