Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You know, now that the show has been put to rest for good finally, I think Scrubs is a pretty great sitcom watch for the first four seasons if you haven't already seen it.

E: vvv What this guy said, word for word.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I'm half-tempted to recommend stopping after My Lunch in season five, then start again in season eight.

Yeah, the first four seasons are terrific but after that it falls apart at a terrific pace, only to sort of pick itself back up again at the finish.

Yes, season eight is the finish. Nothing happened after that, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

WTFPWND
Mar 16, 2004

You may have won this time, but next time you shall be WTFPWND!

Superrodan posted:

I really wouldn't know what shows to recommend someone who can't actually watch them. It's not something I've ever really thought about. I was going to say 30 Rock, but the visual gags make that show a lot of the time.

What shows do you think have worked the best so far as audio only? (For example, I imagine you'd miss a bunch with Heroes) I'd be curious which rely on the visual medium of television the least.

Out of the list I posted, I'd say that Friends, Seinfeld, 2.5 Men, Big Bang Theory have worked out the best.

The only reason LOST worked is because I had already seen all of the episodes, so I could easily visualize what was going on.

After reading through the thread, I think I may try Married w/ Children and/or The Drew Carey Show. Scrubs as mentioned below could be a good choice as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's raining today, so I suspect my commute will be close to 2 hrs each way. I'll probably wind up finishing season 10 of Friends and most, if not all, of the finale. I'm always sad when I finish a series and look back at how many days it kept me entertained and from road raging my rear end off, and wish it could go on.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Reggie Died posted:

Started watching Fringe, up to ep 13 of season one. The premise of the show is pretty interesting in an "out there" kind of way, and Walter's character is all kinds of awesome. But does anyone else loath and despise Olivia's character. I'm not sure why, but it's the same feeling I get when thinking of Dexters sister (note* I have not seen any eps of this seasons Dexter). Maybe because they are both seem like incompetent police officers who take their job very seriously despite completely relying on other people to get results.

I didn't like Olivia much in the first season either (well, I wasn't crazy with the early episodes of Fringe in general), but it gets a lot better. Now it's one of my favorites and Anna Torv is doing some of the strongest acting on the show.

I haven't done a good series binge in a while, and I've been wanting to get caught up on HBO shows. I think I'm going to get started on Rome, then move on to Deadwood or Carnivale.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So Veronica Mars just hit its first sour note for me last night. I'm just going to say... "karaoke scene".

Ugh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember really liking that scene, as silly as it is. I recently marathoned Veronica Mars season 1 and the whole thing is just completely fantastic. Taken a break on a friend's recommendation, though, and so have started on Boston Legal. Episode 4 was brilliant (the one where Alan gets Sally to befriend the clerk who's a witness in some case where he's representing the defendant, then invites him into the office and just completely tears him apart). I'd only ever seen seasons 3/4 before, and while the crossdressing silliness and such was a lot of fun this is far superior.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Superrodan posted:

So Veronica Mars just hit its first sour note for me last night. I'm just going to say... "karaoke scene".

Ugh.

It's silly, but I just took it as Veronica just being that drat good at going undercover. And yeah, I'll agree that season one of VM is loving great and so far (just gotten to the Abel Koontz episode), season two is pretty nifty as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bown posted:

I remember really liking that scene, as silly as it is. I recently marathoned Veronica Mars season 1 and the whole thing is just completely fantastic. Taken a break on a friend's recommendation, though, and so have started on Boston Legal. Episode 4 was brilliant (the one where Alan gets Sally to befriend the clerk who's a witness in some case where he's representing the defendant, then invites him into the office and just completely tears him apart). I'd only ever seen seasons 3/4 before, and while the crossdressing silliness and such was a lot of fun this is far superior.

That's one of my favorite scenes in the show. That kind of tone is definitely strongest in season 1, Season 2 is goofier but worth watching as well. After that it definitely got too wacky for my tastes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superrodan posted:

Ugh.

I think she sings pretty well, that scene wasn't that painful

Skip to 2:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzrpJQJy7H0

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Just to keep the Veronica Mars talk going: I just finished Rat Saw God (season two), and since I'm still watching the horribly butchered syndicated version they didn't show me what 'interrogation technique' Clarence Wiedman used on Abigail Koontz's boyfriend, anyone remember?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think she sings pretty well, that scene wasn't that painful

She sings fine, but that scene wouldn't have felt out of place in a made for TV Disney movie targeted towards 12 year old girls. She was doing all kinds of pre-choreographed dance moves and the camera work was spinning everywhere, and the crowd was going nuts and her friend congratulated her afterwards like she won some kind of contest.

It was just so stereotypical "teenage girl power" television in a show that has surprised me so far for being much more grown up than I had first imagined.

So far it's the only thing that has caught me off guard in a bad way, really.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I would have rather they started the song then cut to the end and given us a more realistic reaction, whether it be "I didn't know you could sing" or "That was horrible" but giving us an over the top impromptu performance just rubbed me the wrong way.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 5, 2010

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

WTFPWND posted:

Out of the list I posted, I'd say that Friends, Seinfeld, 2.5 Men, Big Bang Theory have worked out the best.

The only reason LOST worked is because I had already seen all of the episodes, so I could easily visualize what was going on.

After reading through the thread, I think I may try Married w/ Children and/or The Drew Carey Show. Scrubs as mentioned below could be a good choice as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's raining today, so I suspect my commute will be close to 2 hrs each way. I'll probably wind up finishing season 10 of Friends and most, if not all, of the finale. I'm always sad when I finish a series and look back at how many days it kept me entertained and from road raging my rear end off, and wish it could go on.

Only three seasons out on DVD, but Becker works really well. Very few visual gags. I've "watched" several seasons of it while browsing the net/doing chores.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Superrodan posted:

She sings fine, but that scene wouldn't have felt out of place in a made for TV Disney movie targeted towards 12 year old girls. She was doing all kinds of pre-choreographed dance moves and the camera work was spinning everywhere, and the crowd was going nuts and her friend congratulated her afterwards like she won some kind of contest.

It was just so stereotypical "teenage girl power" television in a show that has surprised me so far for being much more grown up than I had first imagined.

So far it's the only thing that has caught me off guard in a bad way, really.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I would have rather they started the song then cut to the end and given us a more realistic reaction, whether it be "I didn't know you could sing" or "That was horrible" but giving us an over the top impromptu performance just rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but there's an even worse karaoke scene that you can look forward to watching.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

WTFPWND posted:

I have at least 2.5-3 hours a day to burn while commuting to/from work. So I've been burning through TV series DVDs for the last year and a half. So far I think I've done the following:

Lost - Seasons 1-5. I'll be doing Season 6 next week
Seinfeld - All 9 seasons
Friends - Currently on Season 10
Ally McBeal - All 6 seasons. Dont judge me, you bunch of Glee watching women!
Freaks and Geeks - Entire series
Weeds - 3 seasons and got bored with it
Heroes - 3 seasons and got bored with it
King of Queens - All 9 seasons
Two and a Half Men - Finished season 6. Just got season 7. Will watch soon.
Chuck - The 3 seasons released on DVD so far
The Big Bang Theory - Just got season 3
The State - Entire series
The Guild - All 3 seasons on DVD so far (I think s4 just came out though)

Things in my queue:
How I Met Your Mother - Seasons 1-5
Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Seasons 1-5
Undeclared - Complete series

I have things like ST:TNG, Breaking Bad, and a couple of others, but I really need more "sitcom" type programs that are more auditory than they are visual, as I am in fact operating a motor vehicle (I'm sitting in < 10 MPH bumper to bumper traffic. Spare me the lecture.)

Based on my above previous watched selections, what else would you recommend. Would prefer things that already have their entire series on DVD. But if it has a bunch of seasons out, thats good too.

I'd highly recommend News Radio if you haven't seen it yet. Great show, but really on one "set" so it's easy to visualize where they are 95% of the time. Played alot of NHL/Madden with that running in the background.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Just to keep the Veronica Mars talk going: I just finished Rat Saw God (season two), and since I'm still watching the horribly butchered syndicated version they didn't show me what 'interrogation technique' Clarence Wiedman used on Abigail Koontz's boyfriend, anyone remember?

He dangles him out a window

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I tried to watch Six Feet Under but I just can't stand the female lead that plays the brother's girlfriend. Maybe I have some left over hate from her being on Blow. Has anyone watched Survivors? Its a UK show that is available for streaming on netflix.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

superjew posted:

Parks and Recreation

How is this show? I've been thinking of watching it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kilometers Davis posted:

How is this show? I've been thinking of watching it.

Skip season 1, you don't really miss anything

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Skip season 1, you don't really miss anything

If you do, I'd suggest to go back and watch season 1 after wards. It's short, but has alot more charm once you get a feel for all the characters.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm getting ready to let my Netflix subscription lapse for a while, but I know I can fit in two more DVDs in the mail (one-at-a-time plan) before I do so. Since they are each two discs, should I get Bored to Death Season 1 or Party Down Season 1? Keep in mind I haven't seen either.

Some of my all-time favorite shows include Lost, Angel, Buffy, Venture Bros, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Firefly, Archer, 30 Rock, Stella, Parks and Recreation (my most recent discovery), and The Office (although I completely lost interest in it last season).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm getting ready to let my Netflix subscription lapse for a while, but I know I can fit in two more DVDs in the mail (one-at-a-time plan) before I do so. Since they are each two discs, should I get Bored to Death Season 1 or Party Down Season 1? Keep in mind I haven't seen either.

Some of my all-time favorite shows include Lost, Angel, Buffy, Venture Bros, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Firefly, Archer, 30 Rock, Stella, Parks and Recreation (my most recent discovery), and The Office (although I completely lost interest in it last season).

Bored to Death is pretty good but Party Down is absolutely brilliant.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Andy Richter Controls The Universe has some of the most conspicuously awful sound design I've seen on television in recent memory. Which is a shame, because there are some good gags to be found even if the show overall is pretty uneven.

I mean, just look at this random clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7of0_IGq9T0

In the span of 30 seconds we have:
-Wacky ska
-A record scratch/tape rewinding sound effect
-Obnoxious guitar riff scene transition

Out of context it's not that bad but the entire show is like that non-stop, and it doesn't fit the show's style of humor at all.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah that's some pretty awful use of music and sound effects.

It's funny, I've found that most, like, random shows on ABC are full of the most obnoxious music being used throughout every single episode, it's almost ubiquitous on that network. I think Lost was the only real exception to this. It's to the point where I find it very difficult to watch any ABC-produced show because I know it'll have "ABC Music" in it. Like, I want to enjoy the show Castle because it's light-hearted and fun at times, but the musical cues just drive me INSANE.

Widespread Panic
Apr 12, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I haven't seen Bored to Death but I can attest to Party Down's brilliance. Jane Lynch in particular was great in the first season.

If you've got watch instantly hooked up, I'd recommend Louie as well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

kaworu posted:

Yeah that's some pretty awful use of music and sound effects.

It's funny, I've found that most, like, random shows on ABC are full of the most obnoxious music being used throughout every single episode, it's almost ubiquitous on that network. I think Lost was the only real exception to this. It's to the point where I find it very difficult to watch any ABC-produced show because I know it'll have "ABC Music" in it. Like, I want to enjoy the show Castle because it's light-hearted and fun at times, but the musical cues just drive me INSANE.

My mind immediately leaps to Boston Legal with its *snare tap* "WHOOOA HOOOAA whooaaaaaaaaoohh" *synth guitar* during like every scene transition.

Also Scrubs, which was on NBC but produced by ABC :tinfoil:

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 13, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Widespread Panic posted:

I haven't seen Bored to Death but I can attest to Party Down's brilliance. Jane Lynch in particular was great in the first season.

If you've got watch instantly hooked up, I'd recommend Louie as well.

My wife and I just binged through the first disc of Party Down, and we're eagerly awaiting the second. Great recommendation from everyone!

I'll give Louie a chance on Instant as well.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

Tender Bender posted:

My mind immediately leaps to Boston Legal with its *snare tap* "WHOOOA HOOOAA whooaaaaaaaaoohh" *synth guitar* during like every scene transition.

Also Scrubs, which was on NBC but produced by ABC :tinfoil:

The cheesy shite music adds to the charm of Boston Legal. I've just started s4 and its become one of my favourite shows.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I finished Lost yesterday. It was incredible. I don't admitting that my brother and I just sat there stunned and weeping for about ten minutes - partly from what happens to everybody, partly from the fact that we blew through the whole series in 2 months and it was overwhelming to see it end. Definitely one of the best shows ever made, and although it changes dramatically from season to season, it really does stay consistently good. And that ending was extraordinarily good.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have one episode left in season 1 of Veronica Mars. I honestly was put off by the last episode I watched.

Logan has cameras set up, it turns out Duncan was the one in bed with Veronica, and now Veronica's mom is back which sucks because honestly I like the pairing of Keith Mars and Alicia Fennel. Plus, I have no idea if the season is going to end on a cliffhanger or actually solve the overall mystery. I was thinking the Mom did it but who knows anymore.

Anyways, I'm going to watch the last one now. Hopefully it gets back on track to end the season right (I know the other seasons are supposedly not as good as this one).

Edit after starting season 2: The ending was good, with a few slight exceptions. I REALLY like that everything I had a problem with was taken care of. Started season 2 and I like it a lot so far so I am absolutely dreading where it drops off a cliff (pun sort of intended) I still don't like Duncan all that much, he just doesn't seem to be anything more than the bland romantic love interest. He was interesting last season but now that he is back to being guilt free and the happy version of himself he is just boring again. As for predicting things, I already have a feeling the mayoral candidate is in on everything, just because why else would they introduce him and his daughter. Plus, he's played by Steve Guttenberg and his character's last name is Goodman. I look forward to more mysteries of the week.

Well, nobody has posted so I will update with an edit. Just finished episode 8 of season 2. I've gone a bit overboard on the binging, but it's such a good show. So far, I miss Wallace as the character was one of my favorites. Other than that, the show still seems on track. The episode involving child abuse had a really cool ending. Although the situation was kind of cliche, the music was perfect (a song called Run by a group called Air) and combined with the excellent directing made for a moment of great television.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 15, 2010

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Making my way through Generation Kill right now and drat, I wish I had watched this so much earlier! I held out for so long thinking I wouldn't like it very much because it would be too much of a contrast to my other favorite miniseries' ever The Pacific and Band of Brothers but it is really, truly great. Maybe not quite as much as BoB and Pacific as far as sheer narrative goes but it really is blowing me away.

I thought for sure everyone's faces would just blur together in the desert camo and and helmets but there are really some standouts here and really by the end of episode 2 I had just about all the key guys pegged. Really, really loving James Ransone (from The Wire) and his song interludes. He really got under my skin as Ziggy in the Wire sometimes, then other times I liked him, but here he is a welcome distraction among all the solemn faces and muscle bound badasses that populate most of the show.
Love the Godfather too. What a cool set of characters that make up the chain of command. For those looking for some pretty interesting characters to tag along with for a ride, this is a good one stop shop, and I was very surprised to find this being the case.

I've blown through the first 4 episodes and I'm really upset it will end with 7. It's really a great series I'd like to have a little more time immersed in. Also, it's very interesting watching this directly after The Pacific and seeing the differences (and similarities) between the Greatest Generation of Marines and the Generation Y(kill) Marines.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I finished Lost yesterday. It was incredible. I don't admitting that my brother and I just sat there stunned and weeping for about ten minutes - partly from what happens to everybody, partly from the fact that we blew through the whole series in 2 months and it was overwhelming to see it end. Definitely one of the best shows ever made, and although it changes dramatically from season to season, it really does stay consistently good. And that ending was extraordinarily good.

Came here to say pretty much this. Over the course of two months I streamed seasons 1 through 5 on Netflix then rented S6 on blu-ray. Finished it on Sunday and was sobbing like a bitch with a skinned knee for the last 30 minutes of the last episode. Very few other series makes you care about the characters as much as Lost did.

I am rather pissed at myself as I somehow managed to completely skip 'Across the Sea' and was unaware of this until I saw a flash of it during the 'previously' segment of the last episode. I was wondering where that came from then after the episode while I was rubbing the tears out of my eyes and reading through the Lost Postmortem thread people were talking about it. I can't believe I somehow managed to randomly skip one of the most pivotal episodes that explains the longest running mythology of the Island.

I think I'll just buy that episode on iTunes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't shed a single tear at the end of Lost. Too manipulative with the excessive slow motion and slow piano music. It was like 20 minutes straight of trying to make you cry and it all felt superficial. The writers also didn't know what to do with Eko and it was like he never existed.

Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under do it much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't shed a single tear at the end of Lost. Too manipulative with the excessive slow motion and slow piano music. It was like 20 minutes straight of trying to make you cry and it all felt superficial. The writers also didn't know what to do with Eko and it was like he never existed.

Friday Night Lights and Six Feet Under do it much better.

They tried to get him but he was a pain on the set and he wanted more money.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Ok, so after watching Veronica Mars so much. every time the Vice Principal showed up I sort of had a "I know that guy from somewhere, I should remember to look him up" moment.

After looking him up I remembered where I knew him from... real life. He was in a three man play with my father somewhere around 2003-2004 or so and I met him backstage every day for about a week.

It was an odd revelation.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been powering through The Wire lately. I'm now on season 5. I very nearly gave up during season 2, because it just seemed so out of place - the 3rd and 4th were the best tv I've seen, but the 5th is not so great.

I guess I just find all the politics/office stuff quite boring. Amazing actors though, especially the kids, it's impressive.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

I've been powering through The Wire lately. I'm now on season 5. I very nearly gave up during season 2, because it just seemed so out of place - the 3rd and 4th were the best tv I've seen, but the 5th is not so great.

I guess I just find all the politics/office stuff quite boring. Amazing actors though, especially the kids, it's impressive.

Season 2 was amazing. In retrospect it felt a little divorced from the rest of the series but Sobotka's story was absolutely awesome.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
When it first started season 2 felt really disjointed and unlike normal TV shows that have conventional overarching plot lines that go from season to season. But when I think back on the series I think season 2 is the one I want to go back and watch the most. It was just so very unique in it's approach plus I really liked all the longshoreman characters and setting.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
It works well as a whole seeing the streets, docks, local government, police, school system, media etc. with a focus on one or two in each season.

I've been binging through The OC, a guilty pleasure of mine. Yeah...

Is supernatural any good, or get better? I watched the first few episodes when it first came out and didn't like it that much. Felt like it was trying to be x-file/roswell or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are most of the way through Spaced. I'd heard about it for years, and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. It's funny as hell, and every character is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Getting through The Shield right now. I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2 but season 3 felt a little slow. I'm now starting on season 4 and am excited to see how the new captain works out.