Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

His show on 6 music is alright.

He was destined for greater things :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

seregrail7 posted:

The newest Buzzcocks is great, Terry Wogan is fantastic.

"You cant come here James blunt, with all your fine ways"

"....im sorry terry"

Wogan was brilliant, i wish he was regular host.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was destined for greater things :(.

http://bandonthewall.org/events/2661/

boom!

chris barrie's mix of his reading voice and rimmer voice is funny.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
New series of Garrow's Law is out. The second series, to be precise. I, personally, really enjoyed the first series so I'm hoping the second one lives up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w5c5g/Garrows_Law_Series_2_Episode_1/

quote:

Period drama. When 133 African prisoners are thrown overboard from a slave ship in suspicious circumstances, Garrow challenges the brutal trade that regards slaves as cargo.

Pioneering eighteenth century barrister William Garrow returns to the Old Bailey to champion the rights of prisoners against the power of the State.

When 133 African prisoners are thrown overboard from a slave ship in suspicious circumstances, Garrow challenges the brutal trade that regards slaves as cargo. It is a case that amounts to a declaration of war.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thebardyspoon posted:

Have they stopped putting QI XL on then? Used to be put up On Demand over the weekends, have no idea when it was actually on the telly but for the past couple weeks it hasn't been put up. Wanted to see more of Eddie Izzard.

I think it's just a matter of if the material is there to do an extended one. Or they may just decide it based on what else is on that Saturday.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Was anyone else kind of bummed out by Eddie Izzard's performance on QI? At first I was annoyed 'cos it seemed like Bill Bailey and Alan were talking over him a lot, but then when he did get a chance to speak he wasn't very funny :( .

(also he talked about B52s flying over Nazi Germany but actually they were B17s)
:goonsay:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

fuf posted:

Was anyone else kind of bummed out by Eddie Izzard's performance on QI? At first I was annoyed 'cos it seemed like Bill Bailey and Alan were talking over him a lot, but then when he did get a chance to speak he wasn't very funny :( .

Eddie Izzard has been terrible in anything that isn't his own standup performances.

He can't act and his brain is wired for long surreal rambling, not quick wittedness and oneliners as required in any tv comedy quiz show.

He was also on Question Time some years ago. He had nothing of any value to say.

I should point out that I do love Eddie Izzard. His standup is fantastic.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

LE0N posted:

"You cant come here James blunt, with all your fine ways"

"....im sorry terry"

Wogan was brilliant, i wish he was regular host.

I thought James Blunt was great too, but then again he always is.

"What's the secret to your success with women?"

"I am a lesbian."

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 15, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Izzard's last standup DVD was awful, so maybe he's just run out of ideas.

Blunt was very good on HIGNFY as well as Buzzcocks.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

fuf posted:

(also he talked about B52s flying over Nazi Germany but actually they were B17s)
:goonsay:
Kept on putting his hand up as if to say something, just to polite to shout over everyone I reckon :)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I gotta say I much prefer Channel 4 News' new blatant gayer Arts Editor to boring old Nicholas Glass.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I thought you guys might have been setting an impossible expectation to live up too for that Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I was wrong.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
James Blunt is more quick witted than Eddie Izzard.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

thehustler posted:

You could say he's sharper :rimshot:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thehustler posted:

Wogan was spot on with that "only popular with the public" line. Blunt really does come across as a genuinely decent, funny person, who gets poo poo on by TV personalities because he has a posh voice.* After his last two panel show performances I'd take him over most of the regular circuit guests.

*And his name rhymes with oval office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think the fact that, even though people try to use it to humiliate him, his appearance on Sesame Street was pretty awesome helps.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Not strictly TV related but I finally got around to watching Four Lions. Man, Morris really hasn't lost it. The scene with Waj in the kebab shop was black comedy at its finest.

Scant Consolation
Sep 4, 2006
Good Egg

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pudsey sees somebody smuggling raisins. Pudsey happy.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 17, 2010

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

Scant Consolation posted:

Oh my.

I think I need a few moments alone.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I was particularly amused by the spazzy Pudsey that came up before the last round and was clapping. Clearly his mental capacity has lowered over the years.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I enjoyed the trip this week. I think of it as a show with sketches using impression and food rather than a sitcom. The last few seconds got the biggest laugh for me this week. It's one of the few shows I laugh out loud (lol) at.

Which reminds me, I'm getting a bit bored of any panel guest over 40 going on about twitter or facebook and how they don't understand it. It's the equivalent of a George Bush joke for 2010, get a grip dudes.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
If you have a couple of hours to spare and want to watch some mindless telly, the 50 greatest Children in Need clips or whatever it's called was fantastic. It was on BBC3, narrated by Matt Berry, and lots of decent clips. Makes you remember how fantastic(and how fantastically awful) Children in Need can be :3:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

BeeZee142 posted:

If you have a couple of hours to spare and want to watch some mindless telly, the 50 greatest Children in Need clips or whatever it's called was fantastic. It was on BBC3, narrated by Matt Berry, and lots of decent clips. Makes you remember how fantastic(and how fantastically awful) Children in Need can be :3:

I thought it was Rufus Hound doing a funny voice. I even wondered to myself how I could be laughing at his jokes.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I dispute that any of the people on the only connect celebrity special were celebrities.

...Except for Adam Hart Davis.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wogan was spot on with that "only popular with the public" line. Blunt really does come across as a genuinely decent, funny person, who gets poo poo on by TV personalities because he has a posh voice.* After his last two panel show performances I'd take him over most of the regular circuit guests.

*And his name rhymes with oval office.

I think the main reason he gets poo poo on is because of the horrible, horrible music that is so dearly loved by the public. He is rather good on panel shows, though.

Phoon posted:

I dispute that any of the people on the only connect celebrity special were celebrities.

...Except for Adam Hart Davis.

They're celebrities to the sort of people that watch Only Connect. A columnist for the Independent, a Reverend/Popstar/Newsnight Review regualr, a 6Music DJ, a Documentary Champion, a Poet Laureate, and someone who plays poker with Victoria Coren.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Watching Chelmsford 123 on 4oD, the 2nd series and it is gob smacking how unrecogniseable a young Rory McGrath looks.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've never seen "only connect" before but I'm watching the Children in Need special. What's with the lack of an audience? Is it always like that? It's freaking me out hearing all these witty jokes being followed by total silence. It all just feels really ackward.

e: also if the point of the game is to find the connection between the things, why do they drop from 5 points to 3 points for introducing the second thing? How could they possibly get the full 5 points with just one thing? There would be nothing to connect it with!

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2010

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can't help but imagine The Quiz Broadcast.

I was dearly hoping that some bored guy working on the show would flash up "REMAIN INDOORS" on the screen briefly.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

fuf posted:

I've never seen "only connect" before but I'm watching the Children in Need special. What's with the lack of an audience? Is it always like that?

Yeah it's strange, I've never been able to make it more than 10 minutes into an episode.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

fuf posted:

e: also if the point of the game is to find the connection between the things, why do they drop from 5 points to 3 points for introducing the second thing? How could they possibly get the full 5 points with just one thing? There would be nothing to connect it with!

I've done it on the second round once or twice. The first picture was twilight, so I guessed the last would be breaking dawn. I've seen people on the show do it too, when the first clue might be something like 'ignition' and it makes them think of fuel traveling through a car, and they rightly guess the last part. I saw some guys do it in the first round, correctly guessing that the connection was aerial maneuvers based on one clue.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

On the subject of Only Connect, has anyone tried playing the online version of the connect wall?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect/quiz/

I'm finding near enough impossible to get all 10 points on any of them. I've come close a couple of times, but the partial red herrings consistently mess me up.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 18, 2010

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I find the problem is that you get the right answers, but it doesn't parse it and so you lose.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
what annoys me is the groups with 5 or 6 correct answers. I know this is deliberate, but it's still very annoying, since it's possible to know one or two groups, get them "right" and still get no points because some of the right answers were meant to be in other groups which you didn't know. It makes it more of an all or nothing game

EDIT: yay, my first ten pointer, wall #5

have to say, don't think many Americans would have gotten the Wombles

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 18, 2010

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Scant Consolation posted:

Alright, I may have said becfore that she isn't hot but drat, she could turn me lesbian.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Anyone else been finding iPlayer to be increasingly unreliable? I've never had a problem with 4OD but iPlayer seems to stutter and overlap all the time these days.

Granted, I'm trying to watch the Apprentice which is probably one of the most in demand shows, but it's really annoying. :mad:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gasmask posted:

Anyone else been finding iPlayer to be increasingly unreliable? I've never had a problem with 4OD but iPlayer seems to stutter and overlap all the time these days.

Granted, I'm trying to watch the Apprentice which is probably one of the most in demand shows, but it's really annoying. :mad:

Yes. The annoying thing it does with me is play for a bit, then partially freeze, then the sound goes super loud and can't be turned off, then the sound starts playing AGAIN in the background, from the point at which it screwed up, and the picture freezes and starts up again at random

hopefully it's some big code switchover or something and will be ironed out soon

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010

Gasmask posted:

God drat yeah I have this problem right now. I have a tv which hasn't been turned on in 3 months because I love iplayer and it's making me sad :(

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Gasmask posted:

I have been having this exact problem. I am trying to watch The Apprentice right now and it's spazzing out like mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Every loving HIGNFY Ian complains about Twitter. Every single loving one.