Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

How many times have wrestlers left in frustration because they've hit their ceiling and know they'll never be given any screen time or room to advance?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Then again how many shoots or even normal interviews have there been from wrestlers from top to bottom of the roster that said they left because of feeling creatively stunted or because of the direction of the company? Many. Well that or they wanted to go somewhere that they could do drugs.

Name 1 besides Christian. The only guys who leave willingly are doing so either because they don't want to work the WWE schedule or they want to do drugs. You do realize when they say "WWE has come to terms with" that means they're firing the guy, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A recent example is Batista. Not because he was being held down but because he didn't like the direction of the company and how things were being done.

MVP was looking for work elsewhere recently due to being unhappy with how he was being booked. While he didn't say directly that he was outright leaving he apparently made comments on his twitter hinting that he was going to look into joining the now failed promotion that was starting up.

From the Observer:

quote:

One company insider noted to Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer that four other WWE stars have stated in recent weeks that they've completely lost their passion for wrestling, to such a degree that they vow to leave the business altogether once their contracts expire.

Comedy Option: Matt Hardy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Daivari also left because he wasn't really being used and wanted to test the waters elsewhere.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A recent example is Batista. Not because he was being held down but because he didn't like the direction of the company and how things were being done.

Batista is 40+, has made a humongous chunk of change, and has some retarded idea that he can do MMA, which should be the most hilarious one-and-done MMA record in history if it ever comes to fruition. He is also likely to be back soon.

Also Batista has always whined and used his stroke to bury the people he works with.

MVP's outfit is starting to double as a way to conceal how fat he is. He's billed as being heavier than Triple H, which is pretty ridiculous when he's only 6'0. He's also 37. Do the math.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
NXT is the smark show.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did sabu and new jack ever have a 1 on 1 match? and if so was it botch-a-tastic?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Which Wrestlemania is the one where most of the wrestlers in it are dead? I know you can say that about a lot of the early ones, but I remember one in particular that was worse than others.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Let's see...

1. 5 wrestlers - The Executioner (Buddy Rose), SD Jones, Junk Yard Dog, Andre & Big John Studd; 3 managers - Moolah, Freddie Blassie & Lou Albano.

2. 10 wrestlers - Moolah, Andre, Big John Studd, Ernie Holmes (NFL player in battle royal), Harvey Martin (NFL player in battle royal), Davey Boy Smith, Hercules, Junk Yard Dog, Adrian Adonis & Uncle Elmer; 3 managers - Miss Elizabeth, Albano & Blassie.

3. 6 wrestlers - Hercules, Junk Yard Dog, Little Beaver, Davey Boy Smith, Adrian Adonis & Andre. 3 managers - Elizabeth, Blassie & Dino Bravo.

4. 8 wrestlers - Bad News Brown, Junk Yard Dog, Dino Bravo, Andre, Bam Bam Bigelow, Rick Rude, Hercules, Davey Boy Smith; 2 managers - Elizabeth & Peggy Sue (Sherri Martel).

5. 8 wrestlers - Hercules, Big Boss Man, Mr. Perfect, Owen Hart (Blue Blazer), Dino Bravo, Andre, Rude, Bad News Brown; 1 manager - Elizabeth; 1 special ref - Studd.

6. 10 wrestlers - Andre, Earthquake, Hercules, Perfect, Brown, Sapphire, Sherri, Bravo, Boss Man, Rude; 1 manager - Elizabeth.

7. 8 wrestlers - Kerry Von Erich, Bravo, DBS, Perfect, Boss Man, Earthquake, Hawk, Hercules; 1 manager - Sherri; 2 appearances - Andre & Elizabeth.

8. 3 wrestlers - Boss Man, Earthquake, Owen; 3 managers - Perfect, Sherri, Elizabeth.

9. 4 wrestlers - Gonzalez, Crush, Yokozuna, Perfect; 2 managers - Luna & Sherri.

10. 6 wrestlers - Owen, Bam Bam, Luna, Crush, Yokozuna, Earthquake.

11. 3 wrestlers - DBS, Owen, Yokozuna; 1 "manager" - Reggie White (NFL Player in LT's entourage).

12. 4 wrestlers - Owen, DBS, Yokozuna, Skip (Chris Candido (appeared on Free For All)).

13. 3 wrestlers - Owen, DBS, Crush.

14. 3 wrestlers - Hawk, Owen, Luna.

15. 3 wrestlers - Owen, Test, Boss Man.

16. 5 wrestlers - Boss Man, Test, Crash Holly, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero; 1 manager - Moolah.

17. 4 wrestlers - Eddie, Test, Benoit, Earthquake (gimmick battle royal).

18. 2 wrestlers - Perfect (Free for all match), Test (Free for all match).

19. 2 wrestlers - Eddie & Benoit.

20. 3 wrestlers - Lance Cade, Eddie, Benoit.

21. 2 wrestlers - Eddie & Benoit.

22. 1 wrestler - Benoit.

23. 3 wrestlers - Benoit, Umaga & Lance Cade (lumberjack in dark match).

24. 2 wrestlers - Umaga & Lance Cade (in dark match battle royal).

25. None!

26. None!

I didn't count referee Joey Marella or announcer Gorilla Monsoon or Liberace and Billy Martin.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch

KDdidit posted:

Awesome, thanks.

pretty morbid

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So what are the good things Jake the Snake is remembered for?

I barely have any wrestling knowledge pre 1998 and all I've ever seen is the burnt out, crack addicted Jake the Snake. One thing that has really struck me about him is no matter what, the fans always seem pleased to see him, well from what I've seen.

What did Jake the Snake do to endear himself so deeply into the hearts of wrestling fans?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
He was awesome on the mic, is probably one of the best at working the crowd ever, has one of the best finishers of all time and brought out a loving PYTHON to the ring.

The Jean Genie
Jan 1, 2010

I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS
I remember him clearly for sicing his snake on Macho Man and for hitting Elizabeth. Back then (and now still to an extent), hitting a woman—a non-wrestler more over—was something greatly detestable. So he was a vehemently vilified heel to the audience.

I would say he was probably the catalyst to the Mankind, Kane, early Abyss type of figures, but milage varies.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The Jean Genie posted:

I remember him clearly for sicing his snake on Macho Man and for hitting Elizabeth. Back then (and now still to an extent), hitting a woman—a non-wrestler more over—was something greatly detestable. So he was a vehemently vilified heel to the audience.

I would say he was probably the catalyst to the Mankind, Kane, early Abyss type of figures, but milage varies.

Eight-year-old me was legit loving terrified of him.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

The Jean Genie posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z7mp4GK4Fg&feature=related - SS 91 promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINtOMUECLo - second half of the "this tuesday in texas" match with the Elizabeth attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaDxp_NV34s&feature=related - Heel promo post match that was *way* ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJeOy2DnGo&feature=related - WM8 Promo vs UT, still a great one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-MdpDZJlk&feature=related

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 16, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

The Jean Genie posted:

Also The Undertaker. I remember the first time I saw Taker do a promo it reminded me of a slower, zombie-like Roberts promo.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I love that Funeral Parlor where Jake traps Undertaker's hand in the coffin and just wails away on him. I think that it was the first time someone in "kayfabe" beat the ever loving poo poo out of 'Taker. I know he lost matches to Hogan and Warrior but this was different.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Amazing that a WM from 3 years ago already has 2 dead wrestlers

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chunky Delight posted:

I love that Funeral Parlor where Jake traps Undertaker's hand in the coffin and just wails away on him. I think that it was the first time someone in "kayfabe" beat the ever loving poo poo out of 'Taker. I know he lost matches to Hogan and Warrior but this was different.

He may have wailed on Taker, but Taker kept coming.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jake wasn't half-bad as a babyface either. This promo from 'Mania VI is a particular favourite of mine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

Daivari also left because he wasn't really being used and wanted to test the waters elsewhere.

Turns out those waters had lots of steroids in them! :ohdear:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Forgot to add, Austin also owes a hell of a lot to watching Jake Roberts. People compare him a lot to Piper, but Piper was far more spastic.

Bonus: Here's a promo by Roberts where you go "this man is insane" but not in the wacky, taking things too far direction Abyss tends to go in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZcUH6okO50

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Bonus: Here's a promo by Roberts where you go "this man is insane" but not in the wacky, taking things too far direction Abyss tends to go in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZcUH6okO50

This one from his feud with Million Dollar Man shows the dark edge Jake had even as a face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5n5inH9U4A

Since it was asked what made Jake so beloved I think it was the sheer level of intellect and darkness Jake put across. In an age of screaming and yelling Jake was calm and intelligent and often spoke of much deeper subject matter then most other wrestlers. But there was always an apparent darkness to him no matter his status as a face/heel. Roberts came across as someone who lived on the dark side of life and didn't mind that. He was on only one side and that was his own.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Plus he had a loving snake. You could train a dog or a cat or even a bird. But how the gently caress do you train a snake? :ohdear:

It didn't hurt that just about every single wrestler went 'OH poo poo' and booked it when Jake opened up the bag. He was seen as being legitimately scary and intimidating, even if he wasn't the biggest or baddest guy on the roster.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymlVQeABro&feature=related

Found this one, hadn't seen it in a while. He was just way ahead of his time.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?
Didn't Jake also have a good promo where he returned on Raw a few years back? I remember the crowd going absolutely nuts thinking he was going to deliver a DDT but somehow it got stopped (Orton maybe?).

Jake was really, really special when he was in his prime and I will always remember being amazed at how big he actually was in person. He didn't really look it on TV, but he towered above an average man.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Also if you see him on Beyond The Mat, even as a washed-up crackhead just talking to the camera in an obviously self-serving revisionist manner, there's just something that's loving compelling about him. Even when he's at rock bottom he seems to exude that it's interesting that he's there and how he got there is also necessarily interesting, and that he's still dangerous as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trapjaw posted:

Didn't Jake also have a good promo where he returned on Raw a few years back? I remember the crowd going absolutely nuts thinking he was going to deliver a DDT but somehow it got stopped (Orton maybe?).

Yeah, Orton brought back some of the Legends who the Undertaker beat at Wrestlemania to get a better understanding of where they failed so he could kill the legend of the Undertaker. Jake gave a great promo warning him that it wasn't enough to be smart or clever, none of that poo poo mattered against Taker. Orton - not quite as crazy as he could be yet - mocked Jake who proceeded to put a whupping on him to the crowd's delight and - from memory - went to get Damian out of the sack only for Orton to recover enough to hit the RKO. The Viper beat the Snake that day.

Also, Jake was good enough that he was in a feud with Andre the Giant where Andre was the scared one. ANDRE!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So what is the deal with Justin Gabriel? Is he actually gay/bisexual or is that just a hiLARious running joke?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Isn't he like dating Kelly Kelly or something?

Disregarding the fact that every body dates Kelly Kelly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

So what is the deal with Justin Gabriel? Is he actually gay/bisexual or is that just a hiLARious running joke?
Well, he is pretty.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is "getting a win back" more of a joke term that gets thrown around or do wrestlers actually care about getting a win on someone that has beaten them in the past?

I know it gets talked about concerning Hogan and people say that he'll bring someone into a promotion just to get a win on them for a past loss but I can never tell if it's a joke or something that actually matters to these guys for real. If so, that's pretty stupid.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Is "getting a win back" more of a joke term that gets thrown around or do wrestlers actually care about getting a win on someone that has beaten them in the past?

I know it gets talked about concerning Hogan and people say that he'll bring someone into a promotion just to get a win on them for a past loss but I can never tell if it's a joke or something that actually matters to these guys for real. If so, that's pretty stupid.

It's mainly a joke term, though sometimes I think they use it in storylines like the Sheamus/Santino one from recent, but I don't think any wrestler actually cares about getting a win back.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Endorph posted:

Well, he is pretty.

He is extremely pretty. I wasn't sure it was still possible to be that pretty. Plus that accent.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thorias posted:

It's mainly a joke term, though sometimes I think they use it in storylines like the Sheamus/Santino one from recent, but I don't think any wrestler actually cares about getting a win back.

I've seen wrestlers on various shoots talk about how other guys would always have to get their win back or they'd bitch about it and whatnot so I didn't know if it was something that is a big deal for guys to do or if it was just another way for wrestlers to insult each other out of bitterness.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't believe there is any proof of his obsession to it (just so OneThousandMonkeys doesn't throw a fit worthy of one thousand monkeys) but I believe Triple H would always get a win back on Raw or Smackdown after losing a match clean on PPV. It would usually happen in the calendar year.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It depends. For older wrestlers they really do care about wins and losses. The writers also care in WWE and do what Bryan Alvarez calls even-steven booking: A young guy gets a win, then loses within the next week. The writers think that the guy gets a rub but the guy pinned keeps his heat, what really happens is nobody gets over.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

To some wrestlers, it matters for real. There's a significant number of people who suspect the driving force behind WCW hiring the Warrior was Hogan wanting to get his WM6 win back.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

tzirean posted:

To some wrestlers, it matters for real. There's a significant number of people who suspect the driving force behind WCW hiring the Warrior was Hogan wanting to get his WM6 win back.

Now that you mention it I think that's the one I remember sparking my question - I read somewhere (might have been an observer newsletter or something) that Hogan would lobby to bring in certain people just to get that pin on them and even things up. If that's true - it's pretty crazy to be that obsessed with it to bring them in years later. Who knows how much of it is true, though.

Thanks for the responses.

WeaselWeaz posted:

It depends. For older wrestlers they really do care about wins and losses. The writers also care in WWE and do what Bryan Alvarez calls even-steven booking: A young guy gets a win, then loses within the next week. The writers think that the guy gets a rub but the guy pinned keeps his heat, what really happens is nobody gets over.

This definitely seems like the case - at least the part about the older guys seeing it as important. Whenever I see it mentioned it's usually guys like Hogan and Triple H being mentioned so it must be the top tier guys getting crazy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I believe Meltzer mentioned that after Hogan got his win back from Warrior and just before Yoko died (late 98'-early 99'), Hogan was campaigning for WCW to hire Yokozuna.