Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Jesus gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Thread over. This clearly wins.

I can't even begin to fathom the force required to bend steel as thick as a grown man's torso like that.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

RexSS345 posted:

Jesus gently caress.

That is exactly what i said when i saw it. I can't imagine the bang that made when it went.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

It's like, I just, how did...

I simply can't fathom force like that.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I just find it hard to believe they make solid pieces of machined metal that large :psyduck:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

That is exactly what i said when i saw it. I can't imagine the bang that made when it went.

I'm picturing a long, slow, deafening screech that sounds like it came straight from the depths of Hell. This accompanied by everything within a 1.5 mile radius shuddering, things falling from walls and off of shelves, babies crying, and people everywhere praying for their salvation, as the End of Days is surely upon them.

For added hilarity, someone should put that thing out on the curb along with an ad on CL: "Large piece of steel, free for the taking. On the curb. Bring a friend and a truck, this thing is heavy!" Then sit back, and watch the scrap vultures come by, thinking it's like a car door or something. Then watch the ensuing creaming of overalls and fistfights between rival scrappers as to who gets it. Then, once the dust has settled, watch the victor try to figure out how to get it out of there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If there was a way to "win" AI finding the backstory for that would do it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

dietcokefiend posted:

I just find it hard to believe they make solid pieces of machined metal that large :psyduck:

Imagine the block it ran in :aaaaa:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Jesus gently caress, x2. That's just frightening.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Imagine if it was something as simple as just getting the timing of motor wrong when assembling?

"Alright, who's the rear end in a top hat who installed the 400foot long timing belt wrong?"

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
That is insane. I love how the internal combustion engine can just be scaled up or down depending on what you need it to power, it's so loving cool.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I wish I had a picture of this one, maybe you don't think it's as cool as I thought it was. I was on board one of the ships I work on which has a large diesel, similar to the bend rod up above. The ship is three years old and has pretty much been in constant operation ever since being launched. When the main engine is not running, the jacket water is kept at near operating temp, being heated by heat exchanger from the ship's boilers. They had to shut down the boilers for several days in port, and simultaneously the jacket water remained under pressurized circulation (as mentioned, it is its own closed system). When the jacket water reached ambient temperature, the jacket seals on several of the cylinders failed, and jacket water began dumping out externally all over the top of the block, spilling hundreds of gallons down the main engine all the way to the bottom of the engine room, several decks below. Typically these engines just never leave operating temperature even when they're shut down, so the first time they did, seal failure. It was pretty cool to see, but I didn't have my camera. They managed to get replacement seals and install them in time to depart.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

dietcokefiend posted:

From here: http://www.dieselduck.ca/historical/01%20diesel%20engine/Doxford/works.htm

Yes, he's riding the lathe.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Sockington posted:

Imagine if it was something as simple as just getting the timing of motor wrong when assembling?

"Alright, who's the rear end in a top hat who installed the 400foot long timing belt wrong?"

The timing chains on these engines are nuts. Two row chains, each link is about a foot long.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

FatCow posted:

If there was a way to "win" AI finding the backstory for that would do it.
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/testbed_smash.htm
This site doesn't know much more than that it was a MAN B&W 2-stroke testbed, but they have more pictures.

Other pictures and stories of horrible mechanical failures:
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/horror_story_intro.htm

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fucknag posted:

Well, I was driving along my merry way today, when upon shifting into second gear and applying throttle, I heard the most horrendous grinding noise coming from my transmission. Engine sounds fine in neutral, so I suspect my tranny may have poo poo the bed. Holding out hope that it's just a bad clutch, but I have a sinking feeling that my car may belong in this thread soon. :smithicide:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?64821-LSD-Failure-LIST
Fun fact: I googled "LSD Failure" and that thread is #1 :woop:

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 17, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

peepsalot posted:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?64821-LSD-Failure-LIST
Fun fact: I googled "LSD Failure" and that thread is #1 :woop:
yes. this sounds like an excellent solution.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

teh jhey posted:

From here: http://www.dieselduck.ca/historical/01%20diesel%20engine/Doxford/works.htm

Yes, he's riding the lathe.

listening to matt & trey sing "now you're a man" while looking at that pic

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
When I sold my MSP, at 37,000 miles the LSD was going. I was told by the tech I know at the dealer (I traded it in for a 07 Mazdaspeed3 GT) that it was over $8k in repairs to get my car all back together.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Turns out Jude Law is a machinist.

:psyduck:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

RexSS345 posted:

Jesus gently caress.

Some engineering college needs that thing on the lawn as a sculpture stat...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

joat mon posted:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/testbed_smash.htm
This site doesn't know much more than that it was a MAN B&W 2-stroke testbed, but they have more pictures.

Other pictures and stories of horrible mechanical failures:
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/horror_story_intro.htm

So much interesting stuff! But this one:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/Scavenge_fatality.htm

Was pretty grim. Trapped inside the ... manifold? Expansion chamber? I'm not good with two stroke marine diesels.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Well............ I was going to post a couple of broken (multiple pieces) Briggs and Stratton Connecting rods. I think I won't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Black88GTA posted:

Thread over. This clearly wins.

I can't even begin to fathom the force required to bend steel as thick as a grown man's torso like that.

Did someone hydrolock a MAN diesel?

Ola posted:

Was pretty grim. Trapped inside the ... manifold? Expansion chamber? I'm not good with two stroke marine diesels.

Oh god, that is horrid I would NEVER go into a component of the engine without someone nearby who knows I was doing maintenance

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 18, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

that is seriously disturbing.

but i can't help wanting to know...scavenge air receiver? does that mean the 2-stroke transfer ports?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

but i can't help wanting to know...scavenge air receiver? does that mean the 2-stroke transfer ports?

The ports pretty much on the bottom of the cylinder, likely died due to the air being sucked out of him

cat drugs
Aug 6, 2004

E36 S50 money shift

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I blew up the photo and it's the air chamber on the exit side of the scavenging operation. Reads like he was knocked out/killed by fumes before he could have been pressurized/burned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god, that is horrid I would NEVER go into a component of the engine without someone nearby who knows I was doing maintenance
This is exactly why you lock stuff off before doing maintenance on it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InitialDave posted:

This is exactly why you lock stuff off before doing maintenance on it.

It is sort of surprising there wasn't a lockout device for an "easily moved hinged / inward-opening" door that's able to lock itself shut. I bet there is now!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Probably a case of "dammit, left my wrench in there. going to be laughed or yelled at. just gonna pop in and see if....oh poo poo".

I remember my uncle telling me a similar story. Guy "just had to" pop into the boiler, or some contraption for storing pressurized steam anyway, without letting anyone know. It got pressurized and they only ever found his watch.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

CommieGIR posted:

The ports pretty much on the bottom of the cylinder, likely died due to the air being sucked out of him
There's also a serious issue with explosions within the crankcase (such as those associated with a number of failures we've seen in this thread) blowing scavenge air doors off the engine and killing people standing beside them. To the point where original doors on older engines are being replaced with doors that feature integrated pressure relief valves.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

miss_catherine posted:

E36 S50 money shift

Wow, when I money shifted my E46 330 I thought I had it bad, but I only bent the valves... I certainly didn't punch a hole in anything. Here were my worst valves.

Edit: I may have actually posted these in this thread already... oops.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 18, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The gory details of the A380 engine failure:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2010/11/17/the-anatomy-of-the-airbus-a380-qf32-near-disaster/

That could have been really really bad.

edit: dammit, this was supposed to go in the aeronautical thread

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 19, 2010

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!

Ola posted:

The gory details of the A380 engine failure:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2010/11/17/the-anatomy-of-the-airbus-a380-qf32-near-disaster/

That could have been really really bad.

edit: dammit, this was supposed to go in the aeronautical thread

Holy poo poo. Methinks that if the engine exploded in take-off the wing would have failed. Nearly max RPM plus high load on the wings equals fried passengers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

I.. can tell you a bit more of what is happening here. That square thing is the crossslide. On engines like that they have a crossslide to take the horizontal forces instead of the cylinder bore itself. I"ll bet that he cylinder, piston, and upper rod were all just fine after this.

Now, for the doxford link. Here are bigger copies of those images, bigger pictures give you some idea of the scale of those chips... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 22, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

I blew up the photo and it's the air chamber on the exit side of the scavenging operation. Reads like he was knocked out/killed by fumes before he could have been pressurized/burned.

right, but "scavenge"? i've only heard that term used in the context of 4-strokes. is this another word for something else or is it a function unique to these marine engines?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
All two strokes scavenge exhaust. The fresh fuel/air charge pushes the exhaust and itself into the muffler, then get bounced mostly back into the combustion chamber. This is why stratified scavenging has been exploding in the OPE field the past few years.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nerobro posted:

I.. can tell you a bit more of what is happening here. That square thing is the crossslide. On engines like that they have a crossslide to take the horizontal forces instead of the cylinder bore itself. I"ll bet that he cylinder, piston, and upper rod were all just fine after this.

Now, for the doxford link. Here are bigger copies of those images, bigger pictures give you some idea of the scale of those chips... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/William_Doxford_and_Sons

From the link posted earlier it looked like the piston jammed in the sleeve somehow, causing a portal to Hell to open and allowing the demon hands of Beelzebub to reach through and do that to the lower connecting rod.

I find those factory photographs really entrancing but it took me a bit to realize why. Yes there are giant engine parts everywhere giving a strange mixed sense of scale, but I was really just struck at the lack of visible safety equipment. I'm so used to seeing shielding and brightly colored easily accessible kill switches on machinery and people wearing ear and eye protection that the images just hit me as very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CaptBubba posted:

From the link posted earlier it looked like the piston jammed in the sleeve somehow, causing a portal to Hell to open and allowing the demon hands of Beelzebub to reach through and do that to the lower connecting rod.

I find those factory photographs really entrancing but it took me a bit to realize why. Yes there are giant engine parts everywhere giving a strange mixed sense of scale, but I was really just struck at the lack of visible safety equipment. I'm so used to seeing shielding and brightly colored easily accessible kill switches on machinery and people wearing ear and eye protection that the images just hit me as very odd.

That is awesome.

Its like the engine shop of the gods