Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
My new(ish) job is supporting a web app that runs on top of an Oracle database. It seems like every week, we have some big production issue with it - the new version of Oracle doesn't like our old PL/SQL code, a memory leak is crashing production every 35 hours, some minor configuration issue just became a big problem, etc. Is this normal for Oracle databases, or am I just on a team of losers? If it is typical of Oracle, are other database products like this, too? Do MySQL and MS SQL server constantly need some sort of tweaking and/or upgrading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm in a ~60 year old house, with one full bath upstairs and a half-bath downstairs. The downstairs bathroom smells - and this is the best way I can describe it - like an old dump. Like 20 minutes after someone really went to town in there, and they shut the door on it after flushing. There's a wet sewage-y smell to it that's not quite to the point of being offensive or nasty, but it's just there, and it's noticeable. And I think it's getting worse.

It's a sink and a toilet, and there's nothing rotting in the toilet tank. What could this be?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

jackpot posted:

I'm in a ~60 year old house, with one full bath upstairs and a half-bath downstairs. The downstairs bathroom smells - and this is the best way I can describe it - like an old dump. Like 20 minutes after someone really went to town in there, and they shut the door on it after flushing. There's a wet sewage-y smell to it that's not quite to the point of being offensive or nasty, but it's just there, and it's noticeable. And I think it's getting worse.

It's a sink and a toilet, and there's nothing rotting in the toilet tank. What could this be?

Most likely a clog. Check the P-trap under your sink, it should be full of water that prevents sewer gas from breaching the sink. If there's mold in it, mold can have a really sewage-y smell.

When you flush that toilet, does the sink gurgle? If it does you probably have a clogged stink pipe. If that gets clogged, the air normally displaced when waste goes down to the septic field the air gets drawn in through the sink.

Start with the sink and work your way from there. Shut the water off, pull the drain, and start checking for wads of guck and hair. When you're sure you've removed any obstructions or nastiness, pour 1/2 gallon of bleach into the sink and let it sit for 24 hours without use. Follow that up with a big-rear end pot of boiling water. If that doesn't take the smell out, it's the toilet.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

jackpot posted:

Also two more possibilities, you may have a dead animal in the walls.

Your wax ring under your toilet is probably gone, they melt away after a while.

Also:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

Just one final thing to clarify then, will a second reservoir cause a problem or a hindrance? Again it's aesthetic, it's purely for look because I want it to be there. The only way I'm not installing it is if it's detrimental to the loop.

I don't believe the reservoir would cause a huge issue, it will just slow the flow rate down some. If the reservoir is right after the PC parts it should be fine. If the reservoir were right after the pump/radiator then it would affect the cooling.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Peristalsis posted:

My new(ish) job is supporting a web app that runs on top of an Oracle database. It seems like every week, we have some big production issue with it - the new version of Oracle doesn't like our old PL/SQL code, a memory leak is crashing production every 35 hours, some minor configuration issue just became a big problem, etc. Is this normal for Oracle databases, or am I just on a team of losers? If it is typical of Oracle, are other database products like this, too? Do MySQL and MS SQL server constantly need some sort of tweaking and/or upgrading?

Are you updating your Oracle software regularly? In the corporate world where I work, rolling out a new version of your database software is a once a year (if that) event with lots of prep time, and yes it does often cause a myriad of problems.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Peristalsis posted:

I'm pretty new to this, so take it for what it's worth: MS SQL has a different (smaller) set of functionality than Oracle or MySQL, which can mean massive re-writes, and it tends to be buggy. Oracle tends to be finicky. MySQL is also buggy, but it has a very well documented set of bugs.

Uugh, this is mostly hear-say; I've only ever seriously used MySQL. (And it's far less of an issue on our system is than Tomcat is.) You'd probably be better off re-posting this questing in SH/SC or Cavern of COBOL.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I remember the forums intermittently used to have overused catchphrases picked up by the word filter and changed to something more humorous, is this something you can purchase for a length of time similar to Banner Ads or smilies?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
This might be more for sh/sc, but it's so simple it doesn't seem worth asking there.

What exactly is the point of all this n/a/b wireless network stuff? My dinosaur wrt54g claims speeds up to 54mbps...I have the fastest internet connection available to me and it's only around 20mbps. Is it just for networking purposes or something?

Basically, for what reason would I ever need to get faster than wireless-g?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This might be more for sh/sc, but it's so simple it doesn't seem worth asking there.

What exactly is the point of all this n/a/b wireless network stuff? My dinosaur wrt54g claims speeds up to 54mbps...I have the fastest internet connection available to me and it's only around 20mbps. Is it just for networking purposes or something?

Basically, for what reason would I ever need to get faster than wireless-g?

Yes, local networking is the primary reason, for example streaming a 1080p video file to a wireless media player uncompressed would take over 300mbps, only possible with (n). Depending on the compression of the video though, you can fit it barely over (g), but you will never see decent 1080p over (b).

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Can someone help me remember where this joke is from/what show I heard it on?

I really can't remember anything about it except the premise of the joke was something like someone was miserable or down and

"i bought you a star/I named a star after you but it went supernova"
guy, upset - "oh man..when?"
"about 6 million years ago"

I'm fairly sure it isn't The Big Bang Theory and it's probably an english comedy..but that's all I remember. :( Ring a bell with any one? Might be a movie, might be a series..pretty sure it wasn't a cartoon.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
It occurs to me I've never been inside a real court room before, and it might be something interesting to see. Can you just walk in and out of some trials as an observer? I know some are closed proceedings, but also that many are open to the public. My dad is testifying in a lawsuit this afternoon and I thought I might go watch, but I can't get ahold of him.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Elijya posted:

It occurs to me I've never been inside a real court room before, and it might be something interesting to see. Can you just walk in and out of some trials as an observer? I know some are closed proceedings, but also that many are open to the public. My dad is testifying in a lawsuit this afternoon and I thought I might go watch, but I can't get ahold of him.

It'll probably depend on the case and where the trial's being held. Whereabouts are you? I know in England and Wales you can just turn up and find an usher who'll show you in (though the most interesting cases will already have been booked out in advance, and certain categories of cases (such as those involving children) have restricted access).

Just make sure you turn off your mobile phone before entering the courtroom.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Bloodbath posted:

Can someone help me remember where this joke is from/what show I heard it on?

I really can't remember anything about it except the premise of the joke was something like someone was miserable or down and

"i bought you a star/I named a star after you but it went supernova"
guy, upset - "oh man..when?"
"about 6 million years ago"

I'm fairly sure it isn't The Big Bang Theory and it's probably an english comedy..but that's all I remember. :( Ring a bell with any one? Might be a movie, might be a series..pretty sure it wasn't a cartoon.
It's from Flight of the Conchords. The bands manager invests in real estate, by buying stars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SDdglLeKI&t=0m10s

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Can anyone recommend a site that does independent reviews of prepaid Visa/Mastercards?

I need a card that the person I am contracted to can deposit my pay to, and I can use it as one would a regular debit card. I want one so I can keep the pay from going into my regular bank account so I can keep a handy check on what/when I am being paid for tax purposes, and also instant access.

All the 'review' sites seem to be heavily biased and shady. Also, these things appear to be loaded with fees.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

revolther posted:

It's from Flight of the Conchords. The bands manager invests in real estate, by buying stars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SDdglLeKI&t=0m10s

Perfect, thank you

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Elijya posted:

Can you just walk in and out of some trials as an observer? I know some are closed proceedings, but also that many are open to the public. My dad is testifying in a lawsuit this afternoon and I thought I might go watch, but I can't get ahold of him.

I did just this at an English magistrate's court. I felt awkward at the time, but no one objected or gave me any funny looks. I was just curious.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Can anyone recommend a site that does independent reviews of prepaid Visa/Mastercards?

I need a card that the person I am contracted to can deposit my pay to, and I can use it as one would a regular debit card. I want one so I can keep the pay from going into my regular bank account so I can keep a handy check on what/when I am being paid for tax purposes, and also instant access.

All the 'review' sites seem to be heavily biased and shady. Also, these things appear to be loaded with fees.

Something like this:

https://prepaid.bankofamerica.com/CashPay/Pages/Home.aspx

Or something a bit more "anonymous".

Aygtets
Nov 8, 2005

I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean.
I'm looking for a picture, and all my googling and all the king's men can't find this picture.

It's a digital painting, I believe. It's of two girls in a small dorm(?) or just a small room. Basically the room is packed to the brim with cool things, stuffed animals, and future stuff. It seems like all the space is maximized for just two people. Bunks, and all their stuff packed away or hanging on the ceiling or something like that. One girl is drawing on a tablet, I think. And the other is playing videogames. It seems to take place in the future, or an alternate reality. The image is packed with stuff.

But the room looks comfy and it's basically the living space that I want in the future, which is why I want this image so badly.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
What's the site that allows you to input what you have in your kitchen/pantry/fridge and it spits out recipes?

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Legal question: My 19 y/o girlfriend got a MIPS. Can she get it removed somehow without hiring a lawyer? What are her options?

IntangiblePanda
Nov 3, 2009

WHEEZY EAT A FOOD posted:

What's the site that allows you to input what you have in your kitchen/pantry/fridge and it spits out recipes?

http://www.myfridgefood.com/

Question: I recently lost my job and can't find a new one. Money is tight and I'm considering doing some work for an online academic essay mill (I'm a writer, BA in English, fair amount of professional writing experience).

Is this a really stupid idea? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

kinkster posted:

Legal question: My 19 y/o girlfriend got a MIPS. Can she get it removed somehow without hiring a lawyer? What are her options?

Like all legal questions the specific local is extremely important when asking those kinds of questions, but here's a better place to ask:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

VVV Minor In Possession most likely, I don't know what the S is for though.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

kinkster posted:

What is an MIPS? The wikipedia definitions don't sound like they could be what you're asking about. And if it's a legal question you might want to specify where you are.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

IntangiblePanda posted:

http://www.myfridgefood.com/

Question: I recently lost my job and can't find a new one. Money is tight and I'm considering doing some work for an online academic essay mill (I'm a writer, BA in English, fair amount of professional writing experience).

Is this a really stupid idea? Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

There's ton of discussion and a lot of legitimate links/opportunities here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3284002

Good luck!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Something like this:

https://prepaid.bankofamerica.com/CashPay/Pages/Home.aspx

Or something a bit more "anonymous".

Looks good, "anonymous" would be bad, I'd imagine, for tying it into my 1099, etc.

But it appears (still reading) that my employer must sign up their company with BofA?

As opposed to these, http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/prepaid/issuers.html, which I simply sign up for and give my boss a routing/ACH number?

I feel woefully underinformed, so I guess that's why I'm hoping for some kind of trusted comparison/review site or resource (or even goon opinion?)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

But it appears (still reading) that my employer must sign up their company with BofA?

As opposed to these, http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/prepaid/issuers.html, which I simply sign up for and give my boss a routing/ACH number?

No your company doesn't sign up it's just a direct deposit account the same as above.

Goon opinion: Just look at the fee schedule and rules and comparison shop. What works for me may not work for you. Operationally they will all work the same.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Thank you Chubby Emo Babe. The BofA one looks least fee-intensive, so far.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm looking to buy a used car, and I've been scanning Craigslist for a few weeks just to get an idea of what's out there; I know next to nothing about cars.

Can anyone recommend a few models to keep my eye on? Specifically, I'm looking for cars that will continue to reliably perform after 130,000 miles, as that seems to be what is typically available.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm looking to buy a used car, and I've been scanning Craigslist for a few weeks just to get an idea of what's out there; I know next to nothing about cars.

Can anyone recommend a few models to keep my eye on? Specifically, I'm looking for cars that will continue to reliably perform after 130,000 miles, as that seems to be what is typically available.

How much are you looking to spend? What part of the country are you in? What do you plan do do with it? (Haul stuff? In town driving? Long commute? Party with friends? Go camping? Install a waterbed and soundproofing?)

With your vangue question I shall answer:

YES: Toyota. Honda. Scion. Volvo. Late 1990s - early 2000s.

NO: Ford, Chevy, GM, Saturn, SAAB, Chrysler, Dodge.

No. loving. Miata.

Ever.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How much are you looking to spend? What part of the country are you in? What do you plan do do with it? (Haul stuff? In town driving? Long commute? Party with friends? Go camping? Install a waterbed and soundproofing?)

With your vangue question I shall answer:

YES: Toyota. Honda. Scion. Volvo. Late 1990s - early 2000s.

NO: Ford, Chevy, GM, Saturn, SAAB, Chrysler, Dodge.

No. loving. Miata.

Ever.

I'm looking to spend up to 2500 dollars, probably going to buy from an individual seller over Craigslist. I'm on the east coast, MA to be specific.

For using it, it's just going to be a general commute thing. I can hitch a ride one way to work and walk back the other, so I probably won't even drive to work most days. But I'll probably use it a few times a week to go to the store, go and visit my friends at college, go into the city and so on. So a lot of highway and in town driving.

I would prefer a small, 4-door car.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
If you know "next to nothing" about cars, you shouldn't be buying a car off of Craigslist, and certainly not without someone who's knowledgeable about them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Loopyface posted:

If you know "next to nothing" about cars, you shouldn't be buying a car off of Craigslist, and certainly not without someone who's knowledgeable about them.

Maybe not, but all of the dealership cars I've seen are way out of my price range. Is it that unheard of to buy a first car off of Craigslist? I mean, I'm going to get it inspected and get a Carfax report on it before making a purchase.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe not, but all of the dealership cars I've seen are way out of my price range. Is it that unheard of to buy a first car off of Craigslist? I mean, I'm going to get it inspected and get a Carfax report on it before making a purchase.

Don't let the guy scare you, but keep it to small Japanese cars, as suggested. I'd cut it down to just Toyota, Honda, and Subaru for anything 130k or more.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I got my first car from a dealer, a '91 Honda Accord, for $1400 a few years ago. It could definitely be done. I definitely recommend you stick to Honda or Toyota though. I still have that '91 Accord and it's got 205k on it and going stronger than ever (with no major repairs) and my dad has an '88 Toyota Tacoma with 310k on it that he bought for $800. It still runs great (and actually far outlived his '98 Chrysler Sebring).

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm just saying, if you're going to do it privately, be sure to take someone with you that knows what to look for.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
What everyone up there said.

Go Toyota - You should be able to score a late 90's Camry or Corolla in fair nick in that price range.

Bring a knowledgeable friend. Check for rust. Take it to a shop, change fluids, rotate tires. Enjoy.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Anonymous Robot posted:

A bit more advice:

1. Set up a RSS feed (good deals go super quick)
2. Evaluate the seller as much as the car (jim bob with 14 cars vs. grandma selling her "baby")
3. That "check engine light" or whatever else won't "cost a few bucks to fix" they're there to tell the operator "yo, your car is loving up". Not being able to register your working car and drive it sucks, even worse is when you find out the repair is 100$ less than the purchase price.

4-20: Trust your instincts. Most people who end up getting screwed had a hunch or a bad feeling but couldn't resist or got pressured.

Good luck.

E: And yea, mass produced reliable cars in the 95 range like honda, accura (honda), and toyota are champs. Never buy a car that old that is an import (bmw,mercedes, etc) unless you know what you're doing.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 18, 2010

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Hello goons,

I took a photography class over the summer as an elective and had to buy a manual SLR camera. I got a nice camera for pretty cheap, a Nikon n6006 and I absolutely loved it. But taking photos on film is kind of a chore, and I'd really like to get a DSLR. I was wondering if any photo goons could recommend a digital camera that is similar, or just a decent DSLR that has manual controls (zoom/f-stop/aperture). :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

CrackSpider posted:

Hello goons,

I took a photography class over the summer as an elective and had to buy a manual SLR camera. I got a nice camera for pretty cheap, a Nikon n6006 and I absolutely loved it. But taking photos on film is kind of a chore, and I'd really like to get a DSLR. I was wondering if any photo goons could recommend a digital camera that is similar, or just a decent DSLR that has manual controls (zoom/f-stop/aperture). :)

It depends. If you're not interested at all in shooting HD video, you can pick up a Canon 5D Mk1 with lenses for fairly cheap these days.

If you're looking to buy new, the Canon Rebel XS is a really decent entry level camera for fairly cheap, like ~$500 with lens.

Although I'm sure a CC goon is gonna waltz in here and tell me how wrong I am in about 45 seconds...