Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tech report shows off Asus line of new P65 motherboards

That Sabertooth is ridiculous. However I do like that intel NIC are available on top tier boards and the same top tier are all USB 3.0 (as in every port).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skilleddk posted:

Do you guys think I'll be able to attach my Cooler Master V8 to a LGA 1155 motherboard? It's fine on my LGA 775 for now, and my friend used it on LGA 1156 before.

I really want to reuse it, it looks so massive

I moved my old Ninja cooler from a 775 board to a 1156 one. I took off the pins on the heatsink and used nylon screws and bolts to attach it to the board. If the holes line up, you can reused it.

quote:

In addition to lavishing users with overclocking extras, this ROG board taps the Gigabit Ethernet networking Intel builds into its core-logic chipsets. Most motherboard makers ignore this "free" GigE controller in favor of standalone Realtek chips, which we've long suspected are cheaper to implement. Asus confirmed that to be true, but it's nonetheless committed to using Intel networking solutions on more of its motherboards.

HOORAY!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SRQ posted:

I want to say I'm going to play it smart and keep my current i5 750 build, but I know in my heart I'm gonna blow a cashwad on this. It'll still use the same DDR3 ram though, please?
yes, sandy will still use DDR3 (dual channel for s1155, quad channel for s2011)

Using realtek Gbit instead of the Intel one makes no sense to me and mildly frustrates me. But won't deflect me from grabbing the P67A-UD3x or P67A-UD4.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I moved my old Ninja cooler from a 775 board to a 1156 one. I took off the pins on the heatsink and used nylon screws and bolts to attach it to the board. If the holes line up, you can reused it.

I don't know how reliable a Wikipedia article linked to VR Zone is, but it appears its hole comparable with 1366.

A few motherboard makers figured out how to use hole compatible 775 HSF on 1156 motherboards with the same hardware. It does require extra engineering and some "high level OC capability" concessions, but its doable.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Even with the integrated Intel MAC, you need a PHY like a 82577. Controllers like the 82574 are standalone PCIe-interfacing chips.

Excited about onboard Intel though. Always been an Asus guy, will continue to be now. Think I'll pass on the flak jacket though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really was going to try to extend the life of my E3110 (already overcoocked) but I think I'll be a day one buyer. I've always been an Asus man, and they pretty much sealed the deal that I will continue to be. Farewell Wolfdale, enjoy your life as a media server!

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Is there a comparable thread for info on Bulldozer, or does nobody care enough to make one? :)

edit: i looked a few pages back but didn't see one... so don't flame me yet

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
There isn't but you could probably just discuss it here, there isn't much brand loyalty in SHSC. Most of us are interested in both platforms anyways I would wager, if for no other reason than staying up on things.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The E6600 has had a good service life though. Mine has been dutifully chugging away for 4 years now, it's really not surprising that my next upgrade is going to involve a total platform overhaul. In hindsight it really amazes me how much hardware requirements for applications stagnated over that period of time. Between purging of old hardware and greater adoption of .NET and the overhead it costs, they seem to be going up in earnest for the first time in years.

I'm sitting on the same thing. By March I'll have had this computer for 4 years, and the only thing I've replace has been the graphics card because it stopped working.

Sandy Bridge is coming out at a good time to look for an upgrade.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Put me in the group of people upgrading to Sandy Bridge from a Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale E8400). Unfortunately, I got one of those C0 Wolfdale chips so I only managed to squeeze out a 400MHz overclock that is stable. I'm hoping that doesn't happen with Sandy Bridge because I plan on getting one with the unlocked multiplier, probably the i5-2500K.

When they are launched presumably in January, what will the supply be? Will they only trickle out a little at a time or will a bunch of them be dumped on the market and therefore be widely available?

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Alereon posted:

. This is probably a direct response to Sandy Bridge's on-die graphics not supporting OpenCL,

Can someone named JawnV6 confirm this because a certain architect suggested otherwise when he was lording over us how our 'other' graphics solution got poo poo canned

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

feld posted:

Is there a comparable thread for info on Bulldozer, or does nobody care enough to make one? :)

edit: i looked a few pages back but didn't see one... so don't flame me yet
Not much info. on BD yet. "1 module = approx. 80% the performance of 2 cores" and that they're taking a "speed demon" (P4-esque) approach is about all we have still. Unless AMD screws up it should be a decent chip, but late. Depending on which rumors you look at its either coming late Q2 or late Q3 2011.

I think they're doing a demo or something either late this month or early next so you should have more news then on it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Raptop posted:

Can someone named JawnV6 confirm this because a certain architect suggested otherwise when he was lording over us how our 'other' graphics solution got poo poo canned

Posters on the anandtech message boards are talking about how SB will do OpenCL, so :confused:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20016302-64.html

quote:

Thomas Piazza, an Intel fellow and director of graphics architecture for the Intel Architecture Group, said that Sandy Bridge-based chips in their current implementation will not support DirectX 11, a Microsoft technology for accelerating multimedia and games. Currently, Sandy Bridge supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenCL 1.1--the latter used on Apple's Mac operating systems, according to Piazza. Certain graphics chips from Advanced Micro Devices' ATI unit and Nvidia already support DirectX 11.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2010

DoobieKeebler
Jul 22, 2004
Looks like the numbers for AMD are out on both anandtech and techreport.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4023/the-brazos-performance-preview-amd-e350-benchmarked
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19981
I like the techreport comparison as it compares laptop to laptop performance and covers more relevant cpu types though a core-ix low volt would be a nice addition.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

yup. Top brazos is barely faster in CPU than atom, GPU is a good deal faster than current intel IGPs, but still very slow. Irrelevant to me, searching for a market in general. If Intel gets a budget sandy out for the $400-500 laptop market it'll destroy brazos all the way around (as long as it keeps the 12EU config).

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

movax posted:

On topic, I can't wait, an i7-2500 is in my future. My E6600 is choking miserably on CoD Black Ops, and I'm beginning to think it was my E6600 bottlenecking a ton of games, not a 8800GTS. (Just bought a GTX460, and I think the E6600 is bottlenecking it...)
It was definitely the 8800GTS. I have an E6750 and it runs everything pretty well with a 4890 (except Blops, but that's because it's a poorly optimised piece of poo poo) - I had a GTS 320MB before and games released two years ago were starting to struggle.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ilkhan posted:

Irrelevant to me, searching for a market in general. If Intel gets a budget sandy out for the $400-500 laptop market it'll destroy brazos all the way around (as long as it keeps the 12EU config).
??

SB in netbook format would have be downclocked massively on the GPU and CPU. If they kept the 12EU + stock clock config. for the GPU it'd probably be about as good as Brazos's GPU, but they won't be able to. So a SB netbook would probably have a faster CPU but significantly slower GPU, so it'll likely perform worse for most games. It'd also probably still use more power and cost more as well. ULV SB will probably be closer to $600 to start, probably much higher at launch. Brazos based netbooks will probably be around $500-400.

Also Bobcat's CPU is much better at single threaded stuff then Atom, almost double the performance there. So "barely better than Atom" is probably a stretch.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

??

SB in netbook format would have be downclocked massively on the GPU and CPU. If they kept the 12EU + stock clock config. for the GPU it'd probably be about as good as Brazos's GPU, but they won't be able to. So a SB netbook would probably have a faster CPU but significantly slower GPU, so it'll likely perform worse for most games. It'd also probably still use more power and cost more as well. ULV SB will probably be closer to $600 to start, probably much higher at launch. Brazos based netbooks will probably be around $500-400.

Also Bobcat's CPU is much better at single threaded stuff then Atom, almost double the performance there. So "barely better than Atom" is probably a stretch.

Which starts to make you question the point of a netbook at that price point. Sure it's small, but it's more expensive than a bottom dollar 15" notebook.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The gaming numbers look impressive (comparatively) but those Anandtech numbers still look like poo poo overall. You can probably play your older games fine, but then I still wonder the point of playing games on a netbook.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

WhyteRyce posted:

The gaming numbers look impressive (comparatively) but those Anandtech numbers still look like poo poo overall. You can probably play your older games fine, but then I still wonder the point of playing games on a netbook.

My older GMA950 Atom netbook chokes on pretty much any web video, yet I chose it for battery life. If AMD tells me I can actually watch House on Hulu if I want to yet still have 8+ hours of battery life when I'm just typing, I'm interested.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Won't the next line of Atom netbooks have better video decoding as well?

edit-I don't know about Flash though.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 16, 2010

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

PopeOnARope posted:

Which starts to make you question the point of a netbook at that price point. Sure it's small, but it's more expensive than a bottom dollar 15" notebook.

Portability factors - especially battery life - are often bigger concerns than performance.

WhyteRyce posted:

The point of putting better graphics in low-end systems isn't so you can play games. People have already touched on video decoding, but an accelerated desktop is likely to play a much more significant role in the near future, as well. IE, Firefox, and Chrome are all moving towards hardware acceleration, and letting the GPU take some of the load off the CPU will allow the system as a whole to get away with a less powerful, less power-hungry CPU.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

The point of putting better graphics in low-end systems isn't so you can play games. People have already touched on video decoding, but an accelerated desktop is likely to play a much more significant role in the near future, as well. IE, Firefox, and Chrome are all moving towards hardware acceleration, and letting the GPU take some of the load off the CPU will allow the system as a whole to get away with a less powerful, less power-hungry CPU.

That may be the point of what AMD did, but there are still people who talk about playing games in the comments of any netbook related review or article. It seems like every week I've had to talk my dad down from buying a near-$500 ION netbook, even after he bought an ipad.

It's probably my complaint with netbooks in general. I liked the concept of a cheap, near-disposable computer which handles most of my day-to-day poo poo (poor video playback is a sore spot), and then people wanted to go and beef them up to the price of a low-end laptop or near a ULV laptop.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 16, 2010

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anything special in the Sandy Bridge LGA2011 over the LGA1156 one? Apart from more PCIe lanes and quad channel memory?

--edit: Also, with apparent support for things like OpenCL, does that mean that games can actually use the graphics unit for physics? Nevermind, no OpenCL.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 16, 2010

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything special in the Sandy Bridge LGA2011 over the LGA1156 one? Apart from more PCIe lanes and quad channel memory?
Almost certainly a 130W TDP, no on-die GPU. More cores (6-8).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

That may be the point of what AMD did, but there are still people who talk about playing games in the comments of any netbook related review or article. It seems like every week I've had to talk my dad down from buying a near-$500 ION netbook, even after he bought an ipad.

It's probably my complaint with netbooks in general. I liked the concept of a cheap, near-disposable computer which handles most of my day-to-day poo poo (poor video playback is a sore spot), and then people wanted to go and beef them up to the price of a low-end laptop or near a ULV laptop.

Originally netbooks were something that ran Linux, was slow with a tiny low res screen and had aobtu no storage. They were only usable for browsing and word processing.

Now they are nearly full fledged computers and can often outperform larger laptops from similar pricepoints in most areas but raw cpu power, and definitely have better battery life.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Multiprocessor support, if you buy Xeons. In the consumer sector, it's likely to be a good replacement for LGA1366: theoretically more capable, but practically very little performance improvement.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, with apparent support for things like OpenCL, does that mean that games can actually use the graphics unit for physics?

Sandy Bridge's IGP doesn't support OpenCL or DX11 compute shaders, so no.

If you're talking about OpenCL/DirectCompute-based game physics in general, yes, although I wouldn't expect much to show up for a while. Requiring hardware physics acceleration would lock out the vast majority of the market, which isn't good for sales. We might see some physics-based graphical effects in the near term (similar to what Mirror's Edge and Batman: AA did with Nvidia's Physx acceleration), but major titles that use physics acceleration to actually change gameplay are still a long ways off.

DoobieKeebler
Jul 22, 2004
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Zacate-E350-Processor-Performance-Preview/?page=8

Data from a third site comparing power draw from the wall of the e-350 vs atom/dual atom. It looks a lot better than the previous two sites under this context.

"In all cases the display was not factored into the power draw [...] In short, AMD's Brazos platform and their Zacate processor consume significantly less power than a dual core Atom/Ion2 solution at idle and under load. In addition, at idle, Zacate even consumes a lot less power than a standard single core Atom design."

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1039&type=expert&pid=8
4th site seems to show the same power consumption numbers, including a celeron su2300+ion combo.

Exciting from a cheap, mobility perspective. I'm curious enough to want to visit some stores and test out atoms/ulv's for a performance comparison/expectation experience.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

DoobieKeebler posted:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Zacate-E350-Processor-Performance-Preview/?page=8

Data from a third site comparing power draw from the wall of the e-350 vs atom/dual atom. It looks a lot better than the previous two sites under this context.

"In all cases the display was not factored into the power draw [...] In short, AMD's Brazos platform and their Zacate processor consume significantly less power than a dual core Atom/Ion2 solution at idle and under load. In addition, at idle, Zacate even consumes a lot less power than a standard single core Atom design."

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1039&type=expert&pid=8
4th site seems to show the same power consumption numbers, including a celeron su2300+ion combo.

Exciting from a cheap, mobility perspective. I'm curious enough to want to visit some stores and test out atoms/ulv's for a performance comparison/expectation experience.

The issue with these numbers is that they're using desktop parts (except for the Aspire 1551, which isn't really a battery life champion). The "standard single core Atom design" is closest to a typical netbook platform - but one from the GMA950 era, when battery life wasn't anything to write home about. Zacate certainly has potential, but I'd be interested to see some apples-to-apples comparisons before we declare it the second coming of mobile Jesus.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

El Bandit posted:

It was definitely the 8800GTS. I have an E6750 and it runs everything pretty well with a 4890 (except Blops, but that's because it's a poorly optimised piece of poo poo) - I had a GTS 320MB before and games released two years ago were starting to struggle.

Well, that makes me feel a little better. Little soldier will live on as my main CPU until February or so!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

WhyteRyce posted:

That may be the point of what AMD did, but there are still people who talk about playing games in the comments of any netbook related review or article.

The idea of an ultraportable secondary machine for light MMO use is pretty appealing to people who play stuff like WoW. Not something to do hardcore raiding from, but maybe check the auction house or do a little questing with an alt while sitting on the couch/at the breakfast table/on your coffee break at work.

Blizzard offers a service for smartphones to remotely access the ingame auction house, so there must be some demand for "take it with you" game access.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BGrifter posted:

The idea of an ultraportable secondary machine for light MMO use is pretty appealing to people who play stuff like WoW. Not something to do hardcore raiding from, but maybe check the auction house or do a little questing with an alt while sitting on the couch/at the breakfast table/on your coffee break at work.

Blizzard offers a service for smartphones to remotely access the ingame auction house, so there must be some demand for "take it with you" game access.

Yeah I thought about WOW but still wasn't impressed with the numbers I saw on Anandtech. But it didn't occur to me that people would use it for light check-up type work.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Has there been anything stating if the cooler mounting holes are the same as 1156/1366? I was thinking about picking up a Corsair H50 which works with my current LGA775 as well as 1156/1366. If the mounting points are the same, I would go ahead and get it, but I don't want to spend the money on a nice cooler and have it not fit within 3 months

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Has there been anything stating if the cooler mounting holes are the same as 1156/1366? I was thinking about picking up a Corsair H50 which works with my current LGA775 as well as 1156/1366. If the mounting points are the same, I would go ahead and get it, but I don't want to spend the money on a nice cooler and have it not fit within 3 months
yes, s1155 is heatsink compatible with s1156 heatsinks. And s2011 will be compatable with s1366 heatsinks.

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
I'm currentlu posting from a netbook with an atom and intel graphics inside.
The video output sucks , i cannot have dual view , only cloning , cannot watching high definition movies/youtube is very laggy , gif rendering problem (im not sure whether this is related or not ).

If AMD comes out with something that can do all that and at a lower price then I'm sold !

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Of all the issues to complain about on Atom those are not them (well, maybe HD youtube, but even on my desktop I don't really find enough videos on YT that are both 720p and that I care to watch in high quality to worry about it): dual-view works absolutely fine, 720p video plays well with CoreAVC, and I've never had issues with gif rendering across multiple browsers. Sounds like you need to update your drivers?

Dragon's-Maw
Jul 31, 2003
I be here.
Yeah, I had dual view running on my old Aspire One with GMA950. Used the Intel reference drivers instead of the original Acer ones. Worked like a beaut with two different resolutions.

Same thing with 720p though. I could view 480p in flash embeds with occasional stuttering though that could have been connection related. 720p in MPC-HC but that was hit or miss. Never figured out why and sold it anyhow.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Won't the next line of Atom netbooks have better video decoding as well?

edit-I don't know about Flash though.

Intel is advising OEMs to use a broadcomm chip to help flash video decoding.

What IS interesting and most people will look over is AMD will be at every price point with OpenCL support, something that Intel has been ignoring for quite a while. (Perhaps they should of focused on that instead of x86 in the smart phone)

If AMD can give the "Mac OS experience" to apple at all price points in the x86 arena, then this can be a small step forward for AMD.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 24, 2010

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital
Sandybridge definately supports OpenCL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Good news! Based on leaked Sandy Bridge pricing from Sweden that SemiAccurate posted, the multiplier-unlocked K-series CPUs won't be significantly more expensive than the regular version. The Core i5 2500 is $257 while the i5 2500K is $270, a difference of only around 5%. For the Core i7 2600/2600K the price is $363, or $387 unlocked. These are Swedish prices not counting tax and converted to USD, so take that as you will.