Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010

T. Finn posted:

I'm not sure at all what point you're making here, you're talking about 2 of the most iconic television shows of all time, both of which are still on TV every day.

I think what I'm getting at is that nobody under 60 years old cares about I love lucy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bruckner posted:

I think what I'm getting at is that nobody under 60 years old cares about I love lucy.

You obiously haven't encountered enough cat ladies. I swear to god, I have met girls my age who love I Love Lucy, but they're also boarderline cat ladies.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

bruckner posted:

Honestly I would rather watch I Love Lucy than most of what is on TV today.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Chunk posted:

Honestly I would rather watch I Love Lucy than most of what is on TV today.

I haven't watched it in years but I had a strange irrational hatred of it as a kid. To the point that one of my first emails was a nasty letter to Nick at Nite telling them why it shouldn't be on the air. Honestly have no idea where it came from.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

bruckner posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. There are young people who won't watch things in Black and white or with laugh tracks out of priniciple, but they are morons. I Love Lucy is timeless.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
Lucy is timeless but Seinfeld will have the benefit of immediate heavy syndication and a much bigger presence of tv in peoples' lives in general.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cane Break posted:

Lucy is timeless but Seinfeld will have the benefit of immediate heavy syndication and a much bigger presence of tv in peoples' lives in general.

I would sacrifice Seinfeld for I Love Lucy in a heartbeat. I Love Lucy is basically sitcom Shakespeare.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Soylentbits posted:

I would sacrifice Seinfeld for I Love Lucy in a heartbeat. I Love Lucy is basically sitcom Shakespeare.
This is the exact opposite of how I feel.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Cane Break posted:

I love Lucy had more viewers than Sienfeld ever did, and Ball and Arnez were TV Royalty. Lucy has also been in continuous syndication for nearly 50 years. That we're even talking about a show that went off the air 55 years ago is remarkable. No other show from the era stands close.

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 18, 2010

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

safety dan posted:

This is the exact opposite of how I feel.

Seinfeld is more sitcom George Orwell.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The best part of I Love Lucy is Fred. That guy is such a butthole.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
I'm honestly shocked, my parents and grandparents are the only people I know who have ever talked about lucy. My mother knows every episode the way I know every seinfeld ep.

Vegavetavitamin and the conveyor belt are cultural staples the way everybody has heard "say hello to my big friend" but haven't all necessarily seen scarface

Yeah, Randy is like the fred of southpark.

And this thread shouldn't derail into lucy- maybe that should have its own TV IV thread if it's so drat timeless!!!

anyway to bring things back to seinfeld:

"Checkmate."

"..............I don't think we should see eachother anymore."

bruckner fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 19, 2010

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

bruckner posted:

Vegavetavitamin and the conveyor belt are cultural staples the way everybody has heard "say hello to my big friend" but haven't all necessarily seen scarface
Such as yourself?

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

bruckner posted:

I know, it's like "Why are you serious?" is the new "say hello to my big friend"

Seinfeld: "What am I, Fred Mertz or something?"

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

bruckner posted:

"say hello to my big friend"

Come on, this is a joke, right?

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?
I Love Lucy and Seinfeld have been my top two favorite shows ever since I first saw them.

I watched Nick at Nite all through elementary school and into high school, and I Love Lucy was my favorite by far. However, earlier in the day I tended to watch kids shows. I remember that once a week though, I could hear my father laughing hysterically while he was watching TV in another room. At some point in the mid 90's, I got curious enough to find out what exactly he was watching. Turned out to be Seinfeld. I thought it was hilarious and started watching it with him from that point on.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I love this exchange - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjyN6-aRNhg&feature=related&t=6m10s

lurkaccount
Jan 4, 2009

by Diapered Witch
Say hello to my big friend!

This is the best blooper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hZsDRnkPM&t=6m34s

It goes on for like 3 minutes and by the end everyone is cracked up. It also comes from one of my favorite episodes, The Susie. The part at 7:40 where Jerry starts to say his line and then just looks at Julia and preemptively stars laughing is awesome, as is the weird look Mike does at 9:31.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
imagine south park parodying seinfeld and the kids know someone who doesn't like seinfeld and he turns out to be an alien who wants to control humans.- since people who don't like seinfeld are friggin weirdos

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

lurkaccount posted:

It goes on for like 3 minutes and by the end everyone is cracked up. It also comes from one of my favorite episodes, The Susie. The part at 7:40 where Jerry starts to say his line and then just looks at Julia and preemptively stars laughing is awesome, as is the weird look Mike does at 9:31.

I see your thing and raise you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LdHH0hmHY&feature=related

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Well, it's been three months. I watched every episode from beginning to end.

Goddamn.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Chakron posted:

Goddamn.

How does it feel to be complete?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Chakron posted:

Goddamn.

Which one was your fave?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lurkaccount posted:

"Yeah, but I didn't."

That's amazing. I sympathize with her, though. If I were on the Seinfeld set I would never be able to contain myself.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2010

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Cry Havoc posted:

Which one was your fave?

That would be absolutely impossible to pick!

I could quote a hundred different scenes but I guess all I have to say after watching everything is that George Costanza is probably the greatest character ever created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUcdufdfck

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Just watched The Little Jerry for the first time in a while, the best part about Seinfeld is that even the throwaway lines are great.

"Jerry is it alright if I put some stuff in your fridge?"
"Yeah, sure. You don't even have a fridge do you"
"Well, not here.."

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010

Chakron posted:

That would be absolutely impossible to pick!

I could quote a hundred different scenes but I guess all I have to say after watching everything is that George Costanza is probably the greatest character ever created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUcdufdfck

I don't think you respect the mentor/protege relationship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94&feature=related

I wondered recently what it would be like if there were a nickelodean cartoon called "seinfeld: the elementary school years." Little George arguing with the lunch lady about how many tator tots he got or something.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

bruckner posted:

I don't think you respect the mentor/protege relationship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94&feature=related

Yeah the whole series of scenes is great, I just have a special place in my heart for what runs through George's head when he knows he's completely hosed.

Also

IT'S GOLD JERRY, GOLD

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
The concept behind Seinfeld isn't "nothing" it's specific food items.

Like 9/10ths of the episodes have plots that rely entirely on food or drink.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Chakron posted:

George Costanza is probably the greatest character ever created.

then you should definitely start watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. George Costanza was based on Larry David and Curb just follows his life after Seinfeld.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Curb Your Enthusiasm is pretty much Seinfeld if George was a gazillionaire, yet still cared about getting stuck with the bill at dinner.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I'm going to sew his rear end to his face!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
"Woah, woah, back up. *beep, beep, beep*"

"...beep beep beep? What are you doing?"

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
I desperately want a pair of these

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

I desperately want a pair of these

I know a guy in Chinatown that can sells them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chunk posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm is pretty much Seinfeld if George was a gazillionaire, yet still cared about getting stuck with the bill at dinner.

It's such a "George" thing that Larry actually gets offended if somebody buys him dinner when he feels like it is supposed to be his turn. That episode where he gets into a raging argument with Rosie O'Donnell because she paid for lunch is fantastic (it's also the episode where he hides on the stairs from two crippled women, the second of whom he picked up on the street because he couldn't remember where the first lived and figured one crippled woman was as good an any other).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jerusalem posted:

It's such a "George" thing that Larry actually gets offended if somebody buys him dinner when he feels like it is supposed to be his turn. That episode where he gets into a raging argument with Rosie O'Donnell because she paid for lunch is fantastic (it's also the episode where he hides on the stairs from two crippled women, the second of whom he picked up on the street because he couldn't remember where the first lived and figured one crippled woman was as good an any other).

Did he later buy one of them a crappy used wheelchair?

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The one where he harasses the waiter about how much Jason Alexander left for a tip is priceless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

neoboman posted:

The one where he harasses the waiter about how much Jason Alexander left for a tip is priceless.

Also the time he refuses to leave 2 tips (one for the waiter, the other for the head waiter or "Captain") which is actually pretty reasonable but of course backfires HORRIBLY and he tries desperately to put all the blame on the waiter for pocketing the entire tip and not splitting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Also the time he refuses to leave 2 tips (one for the waiter, the other for the head waiter or "Captain") which is actually pretty reasonable but of course backfires HORRIBLY and he tries desperately to put all the blame on the waiter for pocketing the entire tip and not splitting it.

I dunno, the worst thing is the tip jar where you're trying to show the staff that you appreciate their service and the food... and they turn away as you tip them.

I totally feel for George on that issue because it isn't altruism, all I want is a smile and some recognition as a valued customer and BAM, suddenly you get banned from the establishment.