Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DropShadow posted:

Swapped my boring wood trim with a friend for his aluminum trim. He was going to wrap it in carbon fiber dinoc, so we swapped and he wrapped my old wood trim instead and I got his aluminum. I've been wanting to do this since I got the car, so this swap worked out perfectly and didn't cost me a dime.

Looks nice man, I have the ultrasport package so I got that fishscale trim which can be easily changed to the brushed aluminum with some sand paper. Is that what your friend did or did he buy the aluminum trim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I never Realized it, but the interior of the Pontiac G8 is startlingly similar to whatever car DropShadow has.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Got a tune.

G8 GXP m6, Rotofab intake and Solo Performance catback are the only mods; gained about 30/35 with the tune. It definitely runs better than stock now. :dance:

Niiiiiice. Who did the tune?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I never Realized it, but the interior of the Pontiac G8 is startlingly similar to whatever car DropShadow has.

2005.5 Audi A4 Avant

RapeWhistle posted:

Looks nice man, I have the ultrasport package so I got that fishscale trim which can be easily changed to the brushed aluminum with some sand paper. Is that what your friend did or did he buy the aluminum trim?

He wrapped my old trim in 3M's DiNoc carbon fiber-look vinyl, and it looks surprisingly good. His trim (now in my car) shows a little more wear than I'd like, so I might do the same at some point, but for now I like it, and it was free.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 22, 2010

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Not mine: I helped Pleads put his winter tires on. No problems at all, once we figured out the way to unstick the summer tires after the lug nuts are off is a couple of good swift kicks.

The roads here have been more or less repaved with ice, so I can't fault his timing.

I swapped over to the Hakkapeliitta's on the 13th. My timing was actually perfect this year it seems.

It feels weird actually having decent grip on ice...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Over the weekend I wired in my radar detector to my new car. No more dangly wires down to the lighter socket!

I hooked into the map lights power connector with wire tap connectors. Took a bit of trial and error, plus I hosed up once because my new cable had the colours in a different order to the old one.

One oddity is that the radar will stay on for up to an hour after you turn off and lock up the car. I assume this is because all the interior circuits run off the same timer that lets the sound system keep playing even when the car is off.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

[

Almost all of the welding and grinding is done. I wish the welds were a little more consistent cosmetically but I'll make them look good.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

I tried out my new camera mount in the Yaris at the Marana auto-x today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hU1N32Q3es

Overall i'm pretty impressed with the Delkin Fat Gecko. Now for a proper camera...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

~Coxy posted:

Over the weekend I wired in my radar detector to my new car. No more dangly wires down to the lighter socket!

I hooked into the map lights power connector with wire tap connectors. Took a bit of trial and error, plus I hosed up once because my new cable had the colours in a different order to the old one.

One oddity is that the radar will stay on for up to an hour after you turn off and lock up the car. I assume this is because all the interior circuits run off the same timer that lets the sound system keep playing even when the car is off.

Did your V1 not come with a direct-wire adapter in the box?

It's a lot easier, and possibly safer than trying to crimp fragile phone wire, and it gives you an extra RJ jack for an accessory. It was small enough to fit behind my sunroof controls in a similar spot to yours.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

~Coxy posted:

This is one of the worst wiring jobs I've ever seen.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Replaced the thermostat and degreased the engine in the 1981 240d. I also discovered it does NOT have the block heater installed. So much for an easy install for me. Sometimes the engines have the block heaters installed, but not the wiring. Mine has neither. I've got both parts, the block heater and the wiring for it, but the intake and exhaust manifold have to be pulled to install. Not looking forward to that.

The old thermostat was stuck open and the engine was running far too cold and taking forever to come up to temp. Not good for a diesel I'm pretty sure. My fuel milage took a huge nosedive as the outdoor temps dropped. I'm down to 24mpg on the last tank. I also found a small fuel leak around the number four injector, I think it's the return lines. They're cheap and easy to replace so that's next. Need to climb back to the 30mpg I was getting prior.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Podothehobbit posted:

I tried out my new camera mount in the Yaris at the Marana auto-x today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hU1N32Q3es

Overall i'm pretty impressed with the Delkin Fat Gecko. Now for a proper camera...

Try some interior shots (where you see the steering wheel and the course) or outside wheel shots. They are usually more entertaining and informative. :)

Hot car by the by.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Try some interior shots (where you see the steering wheel and the course) or outside wheel shots. They are usually more entertaining and informative. :)

Hot car by the by.

Now that I know it has a very good grip I will have to do an exterior wheel shot next time. I was just super paranoid about the mount coming off and losing the camera on the track!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eddiewalker posted:

Did your V1 not come with a direct-wire adapter in the box?

It came with one, but it's in the old Falcon and I very much doubt it would have fit inside the roof console.

I HATE CARS posted:

This is one of the worst wiring jobs I've ever seen.

After the map light plug is put back in the console and the detector put into its mount it looks perfectly fine.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Niiiiiice. Who did the tune?

MAC Autosport in Parker, CO, about 3 miles from where I live. Nick did the tune and had nothing but enthusiasm for the job, doing 8 runs total. After a few days on the street I can definitely feel improved throttle response, and the car pulls better up top too. It will be interesting to see what it feels like after hi-flow cats which are purported to add another 20+ whp.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Tried to replace the gas struts that hold up the hatchback. Apparently 'Simple installation, only a screwdriver needed' really means 'Two wrenches, and you'll have to drill or grind the old one out of the bracket so you can reuse the bracket, since they didn't want to drop the three cents on a couple new brackets'.

Fuckers.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put new headlights in the Bronco. The old ones' reflectors were just rattling around inside the housing, making them useless. This job takes about 2 hours and involves removing the battery and windshield washer bottle to access the bolts that hold the headlight trim/turn signals on, which hide the bolts to remove the actual headlights. To make it more fun, the adjuster screws, which double as the bolts to secure the headlights into place, were stripped and I had to use my drill plus a pair of pliers to get them out. Luckily the new headlights came with adjusters that use a 4mm hex instead of a phillips head.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 23, 2010

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sitting at Town Fair Tire right now waiting to get some tires plugged. My dad's Taurus has a nail in it and I need to drive it to class tonight. While I'm here I figured I'd bring my Eclipse's tire with a leaky seal. Thank God for 3g phones.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

PopeCrunch posted:

Tried to replace the gas struts that hold up the hatchback. Apparently 'Simple installation, only a screwdriver needed' really means 'Two wrenches, and you'll have to drill or grind the old one out of the bracket so you can reuse the bracket, since they didn't want to drop the three cents on a couple new brackets'.

Fuckers.

Solved this!

Took the old gas struts to a local shop to see if they could grind off the stud holding it to the bracket, the guy shrugged and said 'Sure'. All of a sudden fuckin' Bam-Bam comes out of the back with the biggest Goddamned ball-peen hammer I've ever seen (seriously it was a small sledgehammer with a ball on one end) and smashes the poo poo out of the end of the struts, seriously they were in PIECES.

Picks the brackets out of the wreckage, smashes them a couple times until they're the right shape again, tosses 'em back. They didn't even charge me for it.

Installation was easy as pie from there. I celebrated by washing the car.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Put 400 miles on my '80 300cd before storing it for the winter, also picked up a windshield seal at my local dealer; 1/3 windshield seals left in the United States. Good luck ordering that from Germany, W123 coupe owners. :twisted:

The rubber air cleaner mounts from 2 years ago disintegrated during my drive, as this car tends to turn any rubber mount into goo or dust quickly.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I finally fixed the heater in my work car.

I now have front and rear heat along with a windshield washer. It was actually an easy fix but it feels good to have it done after slacking on fixing it for so long.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Spent about an hour with a file on the throttle plate from my OEM Keihin carb so it would fit on the throttle shaft on my Weber 32/26. The angle of connection, pivot radius and overall stability with the throttle plate that came with the Weber absolutely sucked. I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but recently I've been having the issue of the throttle cable becoming disconnected at anything more just under half-WOT throttle with the Weber plate, so that prompted me into action.

Runs a lot better, now, and I've got that piece of mind back that my throttle cable will actually stay connected regardless of throttle input. Only thing left to do on that is mount the return spring properly, bore out a hole in the cable mounting bracket to get a straighter angle and then retune it, which will probably take all of about an hour or so.

Up next, adjust my clutch pedal since I found out it's a mechanical clutch instead of hydraulic like I thought, install a new stereo so I can actually listen to the radio in the car ($400 stereo system (deck with iPod connectivity and speakers for my front doors and rear deck) for $200 because of Black Friday week), timing belt/water pump and then full tune-up before my Christmas drive from Texas to Indiana at the end of next month. December's gonna be a busy car month for me. Money permitting, I might even get an alignment.

zamin fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 24, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
(From last night..)

Replaced the CV axle on my MX3. God, what a pain in the oval office that was. It has a circlip on the transmission side to hold it from coming out accidently, and it took me hours of aggrivation to figure out a way to get it out. Finally ended up wedging my pry bar in there at an odd angle and pushed my foot against it with all the force I could muster. Figuring I was either going to break the transmission splines or the axle, its the only thing I could do. Pop! Out came the axle and half a pint of tranny fluid, hurray!

So now all I had to do was put the new one in and bolt the control arm ball joint back up. Only problem is, when I went to put the ball joint pinch bolt back in, I stripped all the threads completley, and it's a special bolt. gently caress! So I gave up for the night, admitting defeat. Took my friend's truck into the wreckers to grab a new bolt, came back and everything went perfectly. Sometimes you just need to know when to quit.

So I got a new CV axle in the car and it doesn't make any more horrible sounds when turning! Yay!

Senor Quack
May 12, 2001

what i mean, is that it's nerdy, but also harcore. i represents everything being a unix gangster stands for

MrZig posted:

Replaced the CV axle on my MX3. God, what a pain in the oval office that was.

What I did was I just grabbed the outer CV housing and yanked it repeatedly until the cir-clip popped, basically using the entire halfaxle as a slide hammer. I couldn't pop it out any other way.

Also, I too have stripped that bolt for the balljoint :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finished my headlight project on the Bronco by fixing the mysterious dimming driver's side headlight and then aiming both headlights. Also tightened up a couple things on the Beetle that were letting in a draft, since I don't have heat in it because of the aftermarket exhaust.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Senor Quack posted:

What I did was I just grabbed the outer CV housing and yanked it repeatedly until the cir-clip popped, basically using the entire halfaxle as a slide hammer. I couldn't pop it out any other way.

Also, I too have stripped that bolt for the balljoint :)

I was doing that exact technique. Up until the the outer axle popped right out of the inner axle and wrecked the boot. :(

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Yesterday, front struts for my 98 BMW 540i. Bilstien HDs. The internet guide said it would take 8 hours. After only about one I had one strut out and on the bench. Then my hex key snapped in the top of the strut. After futzing around with it for 45 minutes out came the cut off tool and split the nut.

The struts were the originals that were on the car in 98. After 150k they were pretty much just serving to connect the springs to the front end.

Rear shocks today. Took about 6 hours, thanks to help from my 16 year old. No real drama other than time spent trying to figure out how to disconnect the sunshade, just typical fighting Adolf and Fitzes' finest engineering. There is a reason that poo poo doesn't break.

Oh and gently caress Bentleys. When redoing the rear shocks they devote three whole pages, most of which are pictures of BMW tools no one really uses. Step three was remove sunshade if equipped. Doesn't tell you how to at all.

I gotta say, but for the electrical stuff Bentleys would have been a huge waste of $120.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Just got the Hankooks installed on my TRM C1's. They fit with about 1mm of clearance to the strut.

Sunday is gonna be AWESOME (Dixie SCCA AutoX)

zencyl
Jan 17, 2010
Finally got my dodge ram running again. Only took a new ac compressor and belt. Put freon in the ac system after it passed the vacuum test (Thank God!) and ran the system to make sure everything was good. Now the ac condenser fan motor is shot. Good thing its not summer time so the windows are going to be down for a few more weeks.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Today, I replaced the fairly plain and boring stock dash panel on my Focus...

...with a much nicer dark wood effect one from a Ghia model.

And I finally have a working clock too! Just have to work out how to set it now...

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Today, I replaced the fairly plain and boring stock dash panel on my Focus...

...with a much nicer dark wood effect one from a Ghia model.

And I finally have a working clock too! Just have to work out how to set it now...

That looks a hell of a lot nicer than the gray.

Took mine to get it inspected, and it passed! Huge load off of my mind, considering when I replaced my carb, I ripped out about 20 lbs of emission control, have my EGR and A/S valve capped off, and the pipe from the exhaust that used to go to the TAC and the lines from the charcoal canister are all pointed under the engine instead of actually being hooked into anything. I kinda thought they'd take one look under the hood, go :what: and just reject it.

And this is an emissions county.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I've been trying to put one of those clocks in my US market '02 Focus for the last three years. Can't find anyone willing to sell (rather, ship) me the HVAC/stereo surround with the clock cutout.

Also, drat you Euros and your access to hundreds of options Ford never considered offering here :argh:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 30, 2010

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Checked the fuel mileage on my truck, 6.5mpg, holy gently caress. I must have messed up the power valve last year when I rebuilt the carb. Of course I read about being careful with the valve after I was done. I have no idea how it runs as good as it does and passed emissions with massive amounts of fuel being dumped in.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I picked up the TT from the body shop today, after they repaired it for a hit and run. I'll be going back tomorrow.

The color match on the paint looks good (at least in the garage and in the snowy, overcast weather today). However, there is some kind of overspray or something on the fender. It looked like wax or something initially, but it won't come off, and there's a distinct texture difference between this area and the unaffected paint.

Halfway home, something started rubbing during left-hand turns. While putting the winter tires on tonight, I discovered what it was. They installed a FWD rear fender liner.

One might wonder how they did that. Well, noting the obstacles in the way of mounting it in my quattro car (e.g., the shock absorber orientation), they diligently trimmed the offending material away (though not enough to keep it from rubbing on the tire here, apparently).

Also, compare this picture of the left-hand rear fender liner (that did not need replaced) with the one above, noting that there are different mounting points for a FWD and quattro rear fender liner:

How'd they solve this conundrum? By simply drilling new holes into the car, of course! Problem solved! The quattro fender liner mounting points have the circles around them in these images, and the ersatz mounting points are to the left in both pictures.

I'm decently upset by, yet at the same time grudgingly respectful of, their determination to get this FWD peg into my car's quattro hole. This is the place that has won the city paper's auto shop award every year for the last 16 years. What they lack in attention to detail they sure make up for in can-do spirit!

DogDodger fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2010

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

DogDodger posted:

I picked up up from the body shop today, after they repaired it for a hit and run. I'll be going back tomorrow.

The color match on the paint looks good (at least in the garage and in the snowy, overcast weather today). However, there is some kind of overspray or something on the fender. It looked like wax or something initially, but it won't come off, and there's a distinct texture difference between this area and the unaffected paint.

Halfway home, something started rubbing during left-hand turns. While putting the winter tires on tonight, I discovered what it was. They installed a FWD rear fender liner.

One might wonder how they did that. Well, noting the obstacles in the way of mounting it in my quattro car (e.g., the shock absorber orientation), they diligently trimmed the offending material away (though not enough to keep it from rubbing on the tire here, apparently).

Also, compare this picture of the left-hand rear fender liner (that did not need replaced) with the one above, noting that there are different mounting points for a FWD and quattro rear fender liner:

How'd they solve this conundrum? By simply drilling new holes into the car, of course! Problem solved! The quattro fender liner mounting points have the circles around them in these images, and the ersatz mounting points are to the left in both pictures.

I'm decently upset by, yet at the same time grudgingly respectful of, their determination to get this FWD peg into my car's quattro hole. This is the place that has won the city paper's auto shop award every year for the last 16 years. What they lack in attention to detail they sure make up for in can-do spirit!

Oh man, it looks like you took your Audi to a body shop who doesn't know what the gently caress is up with Audis. I loving hate motherfuckers who jerry rig their work.

Next time, ask Audi enthusiasts in your area who does good body work. I got hosed so hard by some idiots who were RECOMMENDED BY AND ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOCAL AUDI DEALER.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Unfortunately, I am the Audi enthusiast within 50 miles or so. I've had a car to the local dealer's body shop and was unimpressed with their paint work. This shop was on a special list from my insurance company, and they had won those awards, so... But yeah, even if they didn't know anything about the car, it's time to learn, not just drill your own holes to mount a part that you know doesn't fit. :(

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

_adam posted:

Almost all of the welding and grinding is done. I wish the welds were a little more consistent cosmetically but I'll make them look good.

I need to know more about this. What sort of terrible Frankenstein are you making?

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Installed a new head unit and front/back speakers in my '88 Accord. The old stereo was completely stock and HU only had a tape deck, which didn't work, and basically all the speakers had disintegrated, so most of the time replacing the speakers was spent cleaning up pieces of the cones off my floor and the ground.

Now, I can actually listen to music in my car without using my headphones and iPod. My main reason for the swap was because my iPod doesn't have enough battery left to make the entire drive from Texas to Indiana over Christmas, so having a HU with a USB input is great.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got stuck behind a semi towing a dump trailer on the highway today. With no tailgate or any other method to keep the pile of rocks and broken pieces of concrete it was hauling in the trailer.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

note quarter for scale

A baseball-sized chunk of concrete came rolling down the pile, bounced three times on the road and smacked my windshield. I thought for sure it was going through. I would have called the highway patrol, but they wouldn't come out if I did - one time I called 911 when a guy was waving a gun at me and their response was "we'll advise the next department down the road of the situation *click.*"

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^ *NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OBJECTS THROWN FROM ROAD* :jerkbag: