Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I have copmpletely quit buying craftsman anything and the entry level craftsman tool chest I got new is a piece of poo poo compared to the used husky chest I got off craigslist. Ive used them about equally, both store very heavy tools, but the craftsmans drawers have warped and arent smooth at all. For the last couple years I basically either get decent tools used or harbor freight tools cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

AnomalousBoners posted:

I have copmpletely quit buying craftsman anything and the entry level craftsman tool chest I got new is a piece of poo poo compared to the used husky chest I got off craigslist. Ive used them about equally, both store very heavy tools, but the craftsmans drawers have warped and arent smooth at all. For the last couple years I basically either get decent tools used or harbor freight tools cheap.

This has basically been my experience with Sears/Craftsman. For Quick and Dirty jobs, I get Harbor Freight, for stuff that needs to last I get snap on now. :sigh:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Suniikaa posted:

I took my fathers Craftsman staple gun in to get replaced because the slide wouldn't lock anymore and they basically told me to get hosed, so YMMV.

v0v My mom got her fiberglass pole pruner replaced a few years ago. It was around 20 years old. I can't count how many shovels this family has gotten for free. Craftsman ratchets *are* poo poo, though, and you're almost guaranteed a rebuilt one. A Snap-On ratchet is well worth the $60.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Skyssx posted:

Craftsman ratchets *are* poo poo, though, and you're almost guaranteed a rebuilt one. A Snap-On ratchet is well worth the $60.

The one I got from Harbor Freight was $20 and has a dual head where one side is 1/4" and the other is 3/8" drive; you can pop a socket on the side you aren't using and spin the mechanism like a handle-stabilized ratchet screwdriver and or hold the unused socket to keep the used one from being able to backspin. Also it has a telescoping handle for more torque. It's such a loving good tool, I'm going to own this or a better-made one of the same design for my entire life. gently caress regular ratchet wrenches, I keep a few around for emergencies but they don't go everywhere with me.

Here's a link.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

The one I got from Harbor Freight was $20 and has a dual head where one side is 1/4" and the other is 3/8" drive; you can pop a socket on the side you aren't using and spin the mechanism like a handle-stabilized ratchet screwdriver and or hold the unused socket to keep the used one from being able to backspin. Also it has a telescoping handle for more torque. It's such a loving good tool, I'm going to own this or a better-made one of the same design for my entire life. gently caress regular ratchet wrenches, I keep a few around for emergencies but they don't go everywhere with me.

Here's a link.

I love this thing. I think I bought mine after the last time it was mentioned in this thread.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Skyssx posted:

Tool bags are for taking places, tool boxes are for sitting on benches, again IMO.
To be more specific, tool bags are for poo poo you have to schlep from the truck to the site for every job; if it normally lives in the truck or on the bench and only needs to be schlepped occasionally, go with a box. Ideally have a bag and a box, and keep the core tools in the bag and take things out of the box and put in the bag as needed.

Rhyno posted:

So how many of you live in apartments and keep a rolling chest there? I was looking at apartments this week and one of them had this nook behind the front door that would fit a tool chest almost perfectly.
I definitely considered (but could not afford) a rolling chest with a work-surface top when I lived in an apartment and had my "shop" in a closet. Now that I'm renting a house with a garage, I'm pricing 2x4s and looking at back issues of Popular Mechanics to build a proper workbench.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Delivery McGee posted:

I definitely considered (but could not afford) a rolling chest with a work-surface top when I lived in an apartment and had my "shop" in a closet. Now that I'm renting a house with a garage, I'm pricing 2x4s and looking at back issues of Popular Mechanics to build a proper workbench.

Well I already own a rolling chest full of tools so it's not a money issue with me. It's just that my current place doesn't have room but the place I looked at does. And on top of that it has a walk-ou patio which ends a few feet from where I would be parking.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rhyno posted:

Well I already own a rolling chest full of tools so it's not a money issue with me. It's just that my current place doesn't have room but the place I looked at does. And on top of that it has a walk-ou patio which ends a few feet from where I would be parking.

Sounds like a plan, then. My patio had a fence around it, which led to me carrying the tools out, setting them on the patio rail when finished, and finally remembering to go get them from the indoors side the next day. i eventually got a toolbelt, and then never had to work on the car again before moving.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I did not and probably will not build a bench like this but it needs to be seen:

http://www.rd.com/images/offer/fh/project_plans/pdf/FH97Feb_Workbench.pdf

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Splizwarf posted:

So you know what turns out to be the best holder for a soldering gun or iron? An old water pump, that's what.

:fry: I looked these up and fell in love.

Make sure the ones you buy are adhesive-lines heatshrink. I use them all the time for marine wiring, and they are loving awesome. I can shrink them with my lighter, and use my HF racheting crimper. It takes 1/10 the time to solder, its just as good electrically and mechanically, and they look professional. I've never had a properly installed one fail in the marine environment, and that's saying a lot.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Rhyno posted:

I love this thing. I think I bought mine after the last time it was mentioned in this thread.

Alright you guys sold me. Picked one up for $10 or somewhere thereabouts after 20% off coupon. The one I got is the newer style with the green and black Kawasaki-esque handle. Love the 72-tooth gear action; feels a lot nicer than my Craftsman 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have to admit, HF's impact gun sockets are drat good. Sure not Snap On but hell for the price point, I wont complain.

Is it me or is HF finally catching up to getting some decent quality hand tools. Sure they are not perfect but they never said 2 words to me about a wrench that I obviously was bent from being hit with a hammer and gave me a new one.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Nor should any hand tool manufacturer. My grandpa was working for a company that did a lot with piping and radiators. Small stuff up to huge building sized radiators. This company was based in Elyria, Ohio so using Ridge Tools was a no-brainer. On one day, they exchanged four man tall pipe wrenches at no charge. The guy working customer service that day said "I'd like to know the name of the man who bent that!" and the reply he was given was either "John Deere" or "Caterpillar", I can't remember.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

Nor should any hand tool manufacturer. My grandpa was working for a company that did a lot with piping and radiators. Small stuff up to huge building sized radiators. This company was based in Elyria, Ohio so using Ridge Tools was a no-brainer. On one day, they exchanged four man tall pipe wrenches at no charge. The guy working customer service that day said "I'd like to know the name of the man who bent that!" and the reply he was given was either "John Deere" or "Caterpillar", I can't remember.

RIGID quality has taken a dive for the worse in the past years - the battery&charging sysem for their portable tools suck serious rear end. We had a whole fleet of batteries die on us from using the gently caress out of them daily (been using DeWalt since with no problems).

Their older stuff is pretty loving tough though.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Skyssx posted:

Oh goddam, rigid pipe wrenches!!
What the gently caress is a four man tall pipe wrench? Its it actually 20+ feet long?

At my old job, we were breaking casing using 48s. One piece wouldn't come off, so we put a 48, with a piece of pipe off the end of it, and then 20 feet of drill rods on the end of that. With four guys 200+ pounds reefing on the end of it, the pipewrench started to bend, about a foot below the jaw, which is big fuckin heavy poo poo, the pipe over the end started to bend too, and then finally the casing started to "break" (unthread).

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
No, they exchanged a quantity of four ginormous pipe wrenches, each of them bent by some sort of large diesel traction machine, in one day. I don't know what the gently caress they were trying to wrench on, and grandpa's been dead for 15 years now.

Sockington posted:

RIGID quality has taken a dive for the worse in the past years - the battery&charging sysem for their portable tools suck serious rear end. We had a whole fleet of batteries die on us from using the gently caress out of them daily (been using DeWalt since with no problems).

Their older stuff is pretty loving tough though.

The electric tools sold under the RIDGID name don't have so much to do with the hand tools, especially pipe fitting tools. They're under one company, but i'm sure if there wasn't the association with Home Depot, most of that stuff wouldn't be made. I'd not buy any of their 18v Li-Ion stuff, but i'm happy with their corded angle grinder. I almost bought their planer and joiner (because they were on sale) but I couldn't justify $900 in tools to make a round top chest for camping.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 24, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a little 8" pipe wrench I got from my dad that has a distinct curve to the handle. I really need to ask about the story behind that.

The pipe wrench customer reviews on Northern Tool's site are hilarious:

On the 3-foot one: "[3/5 stars] I have not used this wrench much, but from the looks of it I would not put a six foot cheater pipe on it. The quality looks fair, but it all goes back to you get what you pay for. If you need a large light duty pipe wrench then this is the one for you."

The five-footer: "[2/5] Tool little on heavy side. Has good grip but fails to adjust without alot of handling. Starts to bend very easy when a cheater bar is attached"

I have a 24" one from there (it's $13, why not?), and haven't broken it. Of course, I have yet to use it on big pipe or with a cheater bar; I mostly keep it around for hitting things, ripping out studs (like a Stanley Fubar, but adjustable!), and the other day I took out the upper jaw, turned it backwards, and used it as a prybar to lift a washing machine that needed leveling.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Harbor freight has a 25% off coupon good on thanksgiving only.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...52&keycode=0000

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Elephanthead posted:

Harbor freight has a 25% off coupon good on thanksgiving only.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...52&keycode=0000

Lots of fine print, be sure to read it all. For example it says it doesn't work for generators, compressors, and more.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I bought a 6 inch drill press vice from Harbor Freight, its the shittiest piece of poo poo but in all honesty it pretty much does what I need it too.

13 piece Tap and Die set from norther tools. Tap holder broke pretty quickly, so I use a pair of locking pliers. Also a couple taps sheared in half, but really I attribute this to my initial lack of intuitive good tap use practices. But really I wouldn't complain, at this point it does everything I need it too.

Protip: Kobalt sells some single tap/drill bit combos that are covered under their
"No Hassle" warranty. Apparently, only some of them are. Like at the same time I bought a 4NC40 and a 8NC24 (both with a drill bit) and the 4NC40 says its covered under the warranty but not the 8NC24.

I was pretty happy with this 13 piece Hitachi Black-Gold drill bit set I bought, use 'em for mild steel. They seemed to last longer than any other drill bit I've bought (matched maybe by I think Rigid(?) cobalt bits) and it comes with 2 1/8" which is handy. I think it was like $13.99 USD at Lowe's.

Also, Harbor Freight had this AWESOME laser with a magnet/screw on/or double-sided tape(included) that shines a straight line. The Lens is adjustable so you can rotate the line any way you want. I'll stick it on the end of my vice, line up the line with a right-angle, and use it to align my drill (which happens to be my dad's craftsman corded hand drill which is older than me and to this day works awesome) to get the straightest of holes. The mamma jamma was $2.99.

Basically just go into Harbor Freight with an idea of what will make you life easier, and look around. You will always find something cool, and sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised quality-wise.

P.S. - Anomalous Boners, check the Metal working-Blacksmithing thread in DIY-Hobbies. :cheers:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

The electric tools sold under the RIDGID name don't have so much to do with the hand tools, especially pipe fitting tools. They're under one company, but i'm sure if there wasn't the association with Home Depot, most of that stuff wouldn't be made. I'd not buy any of their 18v Li-Ion stuff, but i'm happy with their corded angle grinder. I almost bought their planer and joiner (because they were on sale) but I couldn't justify $900 in tools to make a round top chest for camping.

I have their 1/2"chuck 2-speed hammer-drill (110v), and it's loving awesome. It's mainly the portable tools that I've had/seen any issues with.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

The Scientist posted:

P.S. - Anomalous Boners, check the Metal working-Blacksmithing thread in DIY-Hobbies. :cheers:

Did I miss something?

Also I break small taps (8-32 and under) all the time. Even with decent tapping procedures its just a bitch to tap tiny poo poo and when you're tapping a long part or something if it bends at all it'll often break the tap.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I love Harbor Freight but I always feel kind of dirty because I don't think a single thing in that store isn't made in China... Then again, what isn't? I just wish I could buy tools made in the US at a decent price.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
What's the consensus on low-end Harbor Freight compressors for small tasks (like pumping up tires) and occasional air tool use?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

AnomalousBoners posted:

Did I miss something?

Also I break small taps (8-32 and under) all the time. Even with decent tapping procedures its just a bitch to tap tiny poo poo and when you're tapping a long part or something if it bends at all it'll often break the tap.

Yeah, he wants to talk with you / rape you or something.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2905844&pagenumber=43#post384903773

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

What's the consensus on low-end Harbor Freight compressors for small tasks (like pumping up tires) and occasional air tool use?

I've had one of these for several years. It's slow and noisy, but it's the best compressor of that size that I've owned. Of course, I only use it to fill bicycle tires.

It uses a japanese style quick disconnect. McMaster Carr sells couplings with NPT threading so you can adapt it to normal fittings. Or just cut the hose it comes with and jam a barbed fitting in there.

One of these days I'm going to make my own tiny little oiled compressor.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

oxbrain posted:

I've had one of these for several years. It's slow and noisy, but it's the best compressor of that size that I've owned. Of course, I only use it to fill bicycle tires.

It uses a japanese style quick disconnect. McMaster Carr sells couplings with NPT threading so you can adapt it to normal fittings. Or just cut the hose it comes with and jam a barbed fitting in there.

I've got emergency compressors like that for both my cars, but that looks far more substantial. Don't leave home without it!

I would like to get some airtools at some point. I borrowed a compressor and nailguns when I built my addition, but I don't actually own anything big enough to use with a nailgun or any other airtool. Once I have a compressor, I figure I might start getting air tools...

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I always thought it'd be cool to have something to compress air into those little paintball tanks and then just run air tools off of that (through a regulator). I know Rhino makes something like that that uses CO2 tanks, but some sort of home setup where you could fill your own tanks to very high psi (safely) would be awesome from a mobility and cost standpoint.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

oxbrain posted:

I have that compressor and it is a hell of a deal. Has never given me an issue other than needing the car on for fast pumping.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Jared592 posted:

I always thought it'd be cool to have something to compress air into those little paintball tanks and then just run air tools off of that (through a regulator). I know Rhino makes something like that that uses CO2 tanks, but some sort of home setup where you could fill your own tanks to very high psi (safely) would be awesome from a mobility and cost standpoint.

Anything remotely high flow would just freeze the tank and suck liquid in under a second.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

AnomalousBoners posted:

Get a pillar drill (even a broken one, it doesn't matter). Put the tap in the chuck and clamp your workpiece to the bed. Then you can hand-tap it with the whole thing held in alignment and running on bearings. If, as you say, you're using decent technique, eliminating the chance of movement, bending or sideloading should let you do it perfectly every time.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I usually take the pulley belt off a floor drill press and put it in a chuck and the part in a rinky dink vise. The side loading happens when I reverse and it starts to spin the other direction especially if the tap bottomed out and started to bind on the thread. Often parts are spec'd such that the thread depth may exceed maximum thread strength for that material (I.E. 3x tap dia in aluminum in a blind hole gently caress my gay life) I should probably start clamping it down after I use it to align it to eliminate the possibility of those moments. As it is I just stick a pin through the holes to limit but not eliminate rotation of the vise.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Speaking of compressors, I've been thinking about picking one up like the 60 gallon one here http://www.powermate.com/air_compressors/products.php?cat_id=1 It'll be on sale friday at the local farm store. Planned on having it to run some air tools (ratchet,hammer,cut-off) and maybe a spray gun later, but nothing serious every day use. It will either be a Coleman or Magna Force, which I think are the same thing.

Is this a good buy? Or should I save up and buy a better one?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

AnomalousBoners posted:

I should probably start clamping it down after I use it to align it to eliminate the possibility of those moments. As it is I just stick a pin through the holes to limit but not eliminate rotation of the vise.
Yep, that's what I'd try. You could also see if anyone can recommend you a good tapping lube specifically for aluminium.

Sounds like they should really be using a larger thread with an insert rather than just tapping straight in with the small thread, but that's not going to happen, is it?

Could be worse, you could be the guy on our CNCs who snapped a dozen taps off in some not-bargain-basement inconel bits because he didn't check he'd drilled his pilot hole the right size. Oh how we laughed as a £90 tap went ping. :commissar:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I finally came up with an excuse to use the HF angle grinder, and it performed admirably. We've finally started unpacking from the move, and when it was time to assemble the dining table, we couldn't find the wedges that hold the legs on. So I took some thickish sheetmetal I had laying around, folded it in half to make the right thickness, cut strips off the folded edge, and ground them to shape.

In retrospect, I should've drilled a hole or something in the big ends to make it possible to pull them out if ever we move again (the originals had a tab to hammer on with a punch for removal), but oh well, I've got Vise-Grips.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I use MagicTap for aluminum but when you're tapping a 75% hole that is .089 wide and .5 deep its just a risk you run. Either you take forever clearing chips or you hope it doesn't bind. I am going to start insisting that the other guy who I work with (its a 4 man shop) make sure the speeds an feeds are right to tap on the CNC. He loves to leave poo poo 80% completed when it could be brought to 95% in the machine in a single setup. The 20% is always stuff like face to length and drill and tap holes then I look like a dick when a tap breaks. Meanwhile I tap on the CNC fine. Nice thing about that is you can tap in .1 increments then clear the hole and its still faster than the drill press.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jared592 posted:

Its technically possible. They've been using high-pressure air setups in paintball for over a decade at this point...its p much required for anything that has a high rate of fire to keep the gun from freezing or the tank's operating pressure from dropping. The catch is while the tanks are rated to hold either 3000 or 4500 PSI (output is regulated down to either 400 or 800 PSI depending on the setup), their capacity is fairly low with the largest tanks coming in under 100 cubic inches. And the equipment required to refill them isn't cheap either, so not terribly practical/economical to have an in-home filling station. You'd be better off renting a large storage tank if your application requires the use of air tools but for some reason you wouldn't be able to have an on-site compressor.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 26, 2010

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

grover posted:

I would like to get some airtools at some point. I borrowed a compressor and nailguns when I built my addition, but I don't actually own anything big enough to use with a nailgun or any other airtool. Once I have a compressor, I figure I might start getting air tools...

Air tools are like crack, once you get a taste you will keep wanting more air powered tools until you own a compressor the size of a small car just in case you want to run all your air tools at once.

I just got some nice cash for my birthday, so new air compressor here I come!

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

djdanno13 posted:

Speaking of compressors, I've been thinking about picking one up like the 60 gallon one here http://www.powermate.com/air_compressors/products.php?cat_id=1 It'll be on sale friday at the local farm store. Planned on having it to run some air tools (ratchet,hammer,cut-off) and maybe a spray gun later, but nothing serious every day use. It will either be a Coleman or Magna Force, which I think are the same thing.

Is this a good buy? Or should I save up and buy a better one?

You didn't mention the price asked, so I can't tell you if it's a good buy or not, but a 60 gallon tank seems about right (on the low end) for what you want to use it for. Coleman/Magna Force will be alright for some serious hobby useage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Back to jack-chat,

While making up my Christmas list, I noticed everyone's favorite HF jack now has LEDZZZ: http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3000-lb-capacity-aluminum-racing-jack-with-leds-96562.html

Hot drat!

Also, I was at Costco the other day and noticed they have a low-profile jack for $90... I can't find it on their website, but I think it's this one by Torin Jacks, out of Changshu, China. Looks pretty similar to the HF jack, but it comes with the Costco warranty. Maybe worth the extra 10bux?

Finally: Jack stands. I know it's been covered in here before, but I went back 20 pages and couldn't find anything. The prevailing opinion is don't buy HF's jackstands, buy something reputable, right? What's a reputable brand? Costco has 3 and 6 ton stands, but they're made by the same Torin company out of China.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 27, 2010