Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pr0phecy posted:

I was in the market for a new desk and I decided to google this. Holy poo poo, this desk is 300$ to what amounts a piece of wood with 3 legs? What the gently caress.

edit: it's kinda big so I guess that may make it worth the price.

Use a crappy 50 dollar desk for a while, that continually ticks you off and lasts for 6 months, then try the Galant, which is sturdy as gently caress, durable as gently caress and feels good to boot.

It IS worth the premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pr0phecy posted:

I was in the market for a new desk and I decided to google this. Holy poo poo, this desk is 300$ to what amounts a piece of wood with 3 legs? What the gently caress.

Have you ever shopped for furniture? Its either terrible cheap walmart crap, real expensive hardwood that will cost more than $300 or the in between option, which is what ikea tries to be.

You can get cheap galant's depending on what size you need, the best part about them is you can keep buying parts and expanding it to fit your needs.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99852114 Basic galant corner desk, $160.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009
If you're price-sensitive, just Craigslist it. There is a thick market for IKEA products almost anywhere worth living.

As far as I'm concerned, most IKEA furniture is in one of two states: good enough or broken.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

jassi007 posted:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99852114 Basic galant corner desk, $160.

Had this exact desk configuration before I moved out, with the computer in the corner. The wheels of the chair kept bumping against the leg of the desk to the left, which was pretty annoying. Easily solved by rotating it so the wheels missed the leg, but still managed to drive me nuts.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

jassi007 posted:

After I clicked the link I had the EXACT same thoughts as posted above me. I cant imagine using a chair with that desk at all. I would think the chair-closest legs would go out the other way or something?

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Had this exact desk configuration before I moved out, with the computer in the corner. The wheels of the chair kept bumping against the leg of the desk to the left, which was pretty annoying. Easily solved by rotating it so the wheels missed the leg, but still managed to drive me nuts.

And even more easily solved by adding an extension to that side of the desk so that the legs are further away.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

jassi007 posted:

You can get cheap galant's depending on what size you need, the best part about them is you can keep buying parts and expanding it to fit your needs.

Now I understand why IKEA gear is popular in this thread. In Australia, that same item costs $395, or ~$380 US dollars, which puts it in the 'proper locally made desk' bracket.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 17, 2010

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Now I understand why IKEA gear is popular in this thread. In Australia, that same item costs $395, or ~$380 US dollars, which puts it in the 'proper locally made desk' bracket.

Which is funny because, at least here, you would be hard pressed to find a locally made desk for less than 600-800 dollars. 400 would put you in the "high end" chinese/malaysian import range

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Pr0phecy posted:

Having done the cheap desks for years, we have two Galants and they are worth every penny.

Only get the T-legs, and as said, they are sturdy as gently caress, thanks to the solid steel frame that the wood top sits on. Plenty of cheap-rear end desks are literally the wood and then the legs. Galant has a nice steel frame that is not going to move on you.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not looking forward to the day the wife wants to get around to replacing/decorating the computer room. She wants some goddamn massive wood monstrosity with a hutch on top to boot, and likely a cabinet spot for maximum computer overheating. Good luck finding a hutch that can handle dual 22-24" widescreen monitors, honey!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tonelok posted:

Having done the cheap desks for years, we have two Galants and they are worth every penny.

Only get the T-legs, and as said, they are sturdy as gently caress, thanks to the solid steel frame that the wood top sits on. Plenty of cheap-rear end desks are literally the wood and then the legs. Galant has a nice steel frame that is not going to move on you.

The A legs are rock solid too. I've been using mine for 3 years now without any wobble. Plus they're cheaper.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
If you're feeling particularly ghetto about it, do what I did - get the Vika Amon table top and make sure to get as many legs as it'll support. I've got one going on three years now.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

work

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Guerrand posted:

And even more easily solved by adding an extension to that side of the desk so that the legs are further away.

Could you possibly link to the Galant extension you're talking about? I'm having a hard time finding these desk "extensions" everyone is talking about.

I have an Ikea Mikael. I love it, but I want something with less of a vertical profile. The shelves above it are nice but it's definitely too bulky.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spaceship posted:

work

This is the least work safe work desk I've ever seen. Pedobear and The Bra-less Wonder?

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!

spaceship posted:

work

I require a blow-up of the cartoon panel strip pinned to the uppper part of that pinboard.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

http://xkcd.com/327/

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Corbet posted:

Could you possibly link to the Galant extension you're talking about? I'm having a hard time finding these desk "extensions" everyone is talking about.

This is what it looks like with the extension attached to the short edge. Here are all of the extensions.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

devmd01 posted:

Not looking forward to the day the wife wants to get around to replacing/decorating the computer room. She wants some goddamn massive wood monstrosity with a hutch on top to boot, and likely a cabinet spot for maximum computer overheating. Good luck finding a hutch that can handle dual 22-24" widescreen monitors, honey!

poo poo, I grew up with this kind of a desk. My parents were really proud of it, and honestly I loved it at first. It was really fancy. At some point I got a monstrous 19" CRT monitor, and it just did not work very well. A 17" LCD worked best.

Now I use a Galant and I can't ever imagine owning another kind of desk. Why the hell do people want hutches and poo poo that take up precious monitor room? You can look rich and fancy without all of that poo poo.

Also: Galant is worth more than it costs. Man up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does Ikea sell the screws for the Gallant or anything? I have a Gallant, but lost the bag of screws for it (also a bad scratch, but oh well). This is an old desk and the screws got lost in the process of a move, so it's not like I have the receipt, just a pile of wood and steel. :smith:

vv I just hope that they don't care that I seemed to lost everything, and don't have a reciept, ha. I'm not normally one of "those" customers, but it's been a long time since purchase and now.

IUG fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 18, 2010

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me

IUG posted:

Does Ikea sell the screws for the Gallant or anything? I have a Gallant, but lost the bag of screws for it (also a bad scratch, but oh well). This is an old desk and the screws got lost in the process of a move, so it's not like I have the receipt, just a pile of wood and steel. :smith:

My local Ikea (near Philly) has a room by customer service where they stock a ton of various screws, nuts, washers and little plastic parts. I bet they have what you need, you should call them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Corbet posted:

I have an Ikea Mikael. I love it, but I want something with less of a vertical profile. The shelves above it are nice but it's definitely too bulky.

This is the main extention piece. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69852120

It works for either the wide end or skinny end. one side of the galant is 23" and the other is 31" and the extension is 23x31. There are half round and quarter round for the other sides are size specific.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SunknLiner posted:

The Frederik is very similar and is still available. I have one, and it's awesome.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80115988

Seconding this. I have one and it's great, I hope it never breaks

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

Nodoze posted:

Seconding this. I have one and it's great, I hope it never breaks

I actually own two of these. They're great values, but be very sure that they're a good height before you buy. I didn't realize until a few weeks in/it was too late that they were a big too tall for me.

If only the Galant T-Legs were compatible (side note: can they be made to fit?), I wouldn't feel like I was in grade school when I sat down at my desk and could salvage at least my tabletops. :smith:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tonelok posted:

Yeah, I've had my Galant for several years and I'm in love with it. Aside from being sturdy, the largest top is loving huge. I bought a cheap shelf from Ikea along with some cheap legs to make a desk-on-desk monitor stand. Keeps my monitors elevated about 8" and gives me a place to shove my keyboard and mouse if I need extra space on the desk for some reason. The best part is that the desk is so big that I'm able to fit an elevated shelf with two 22" monitors on it and still have room for a bookshelf speaker to the left and right of the shelf.

The computer holder is also really nice and sturdy as gently caress.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 21, 2010

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I've had my Galant for several years and I'm in love with it. Aside from being sturdy, the largest top is loving huge. I bought a cheap shelf from Ikea along with some cheap legs to make a desk-on-desk monitor stand. Keeps my monitors elevated about 8" and gives me a place to shove my keyboard and mouse if I need extra space on the desk for some reason. The best part is that the desk is so big that I'm able to fit an elevated shelf with two 22" monitors on it and still have room for a bookshelf speaker to the left and right of the shelf.

The computer holder is also really nice and sturdy as gently caress.

What did you use to make the desk-on-desk stand?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What did you use to make the desk-on-desk stand?

Not sure what he used but the galant has a clamp on elevated monitor shelf options among others.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Juriko posted:

Not sure what he used but the galant has a clamp on elevated monitor shelf options among others.

Where are you seeing this at?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70173945

But I was wrong, I thought I remembered it being a lot shorter than that.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19876232

that shelf might be shorter, and could also work

Basically if you can walk into an ikea you can almost always buy poo poo separate from the whole, so you can get creative. The shelf I know I have seen involves a pair of aluminum legs that run at a 45 degree angle that you bolt to the desk and add a shelf too. I have seen it used on desks, and I think it is actually a kitchen counter item.

edit :http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196
Those are what I am talking about

Juriko fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 22, 2010

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
I made a sweet desk shelf with some of these Capita legs:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20054563

and some random shelf that turned out to be almost the exact width of my desk. It turned out great

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Do you guys have any pics of this?

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

Tab8715 posted:

Do you guys have any pics of this?

Here's a poo poo cell phone picture of mine

I used the 4" legs, I wouldn't go any higher

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2007/06/justins-2-tier-computer-desk.html

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I don't think you can get that desk or those capita legs anymore.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I just linked to those capita legs right above you, and the type of desk is a non issue since it is just hardware. You could use them on any desk if you wanted. Most of the capita stuff is still used in the kitchen section, so they are still available. I was using capita legs for my old AV stand since the same kind of feet purchased online were 60 bucks instead of 12.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

almostkorean posted:

Here's a poo poo cell phone picture of mine

I used the 4" legs, I wouldn't go any higher

Are the legs physically attached to the desk?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Isn't it supposed to be more ergonomic if the top surface of the screen is eye-level? I imagine it's quite uncomfortable having to stare at a monitor on a raised platform..

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Juriko posted:

I just linked to those capita legs right above you, and the type of desk is a non issue since it is just hardware. You could use them on any desk if you wanted. Most of the capita stuff is still used in the kitchen section, so they are still available. I was using capita legs for my old AV stand since the same kind of feet purchased online were 60 bucks instead of 12.

Hmm, I thought they'd gotten rid of those legs a while back because I was trying to find some for my mom. Either they brought them back or I'm just crazy and they never left.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Isn't it supposed to be more ergonomic if the top surface of the screen is eye-level? I imagine it's quite uncomfortable having to stare at a monitor on a raised platform..

I just want it so I can shove papers under my monitor and/or keyboard if I need some space to write a few things down. It's just space issue, and there are some some desk they've I've seen with it already made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee

Tab8715 posted:

Are the legs physically attached to the desk?

Nope, it's just sitting on top. It's sturdy enough, I haven't had any problems so far. Drilling it into the desk isn't an option for me anyways since I live in student apartments and the desk isn't mine.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Yea, it is more comfortable to have it eye level but it hasn't bothered me yet, the top of my monitor is only a few inches above my eye level. It's worth it to me for the extra space.