Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

Nice.

I think I'll get one of these and some fanout cables.

edit: Fanout cables are frickin' expensive, and it seems like there's different types...

edit2: Wait, HP's specs on that card says it has 4 internal SATA ports. The only fan-out cables I can find are Mini-SAS to SATA. I'm ignorant.

edit3: Ok, I don't think this card is what I was talking about. As far as I can tell, you have to have a card with Mini-SAS internal connectors to use fanout cables to multiple SATA drives. This is unfortunate, because I already ordered the card you linked to. :/

Yeah, upon closer inspection, that's just a 4 port SATA card (even though it keeps talking about SAS, very confusing). You need a SAS port to use the SAS to SATA fanout cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, upon closer inspection, that's just a 4 port SATA card (even though it keeps talking about SAS, very confusing). You need a SAS port to use the SAS to SATA fanout cables.
It's a SAS card. However, it doesn't use mini-SAS connectors so you can't use a fanout cable. Each port is a single SATA/SAS channel, so for example if you wanted to do dual-port SAS you have to connect one drive to two ports on the card. We have about 600 of those cards at work, and we run each card with two dual-port SAS drives.

FISHMANPET posted:

Welp, that's a nice card. 4 ports on that though, not 3, so it can drive 16 SATA drives. Very nice.
Basically this is wrong.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 20, 2010

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is what I want, isn't it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I've lost track of what you're trying to accomplish, but basically that's an 8-port SAS/SATA card utilizing two miniSAS connectors, so you could use two fan-out cables to get 8 SATA drives attached.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've lost track of what you're trying to accomplish, but basically that's an 8-port SAS/SATA card utilizing two miniSAS connectors, so you could use two fan-out cables to get 8 SATA drives attached.

That's what I'm trying to accomplish, thanks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

That card directly costs about $250 from Newegg, Intel makes one with the same chipset for $130, and you can get one from SuperMicro that's a little funky (the bracket is backwards) for around $110.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm fed up with my Synology DS210j. It's hosed up twice now, saying the volume "crashed" but it doesn't give me any options to recover. I had to remove a drive from it and wipe it on another system for the Synology to give me the option of creating a new volume on it.

I am looking for a small enclosure with 4x 3.5" internal bays. Is there a good store online to browse these? Newegg's selection seemed a little lacking. I don't want a mini-tower, I want something without any 5.25" bays. Any suggestions? Will I save money just going for a normal desktop case?

Any deals on cpu/motherboard/raid cards? I figure I want to do a 4 disk raid5 or zfs or something. Any info on how to do this cheaply? I figure I want to go with at least an atom cpu.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

paradigmm posted:

I'm fed up with my Synology DS210j. It's hosed up twice now, saying the volume "crashed" but it doesn't give me any options to recover. I had to remove a drive from it and wipe it on another system for the Synology to give me the option of creating a new volume on it.

I am looking for a small enclosure with 4x 3.5" internal bays. Is there a good store online to browse these? Newegg's selection seemed a little lacking. I don't want a mini-tower, I want something without any 5.25" bays. Any suggestions? Will I save money just going for a normal desktop case?

Any deals on cpu/motherboard/raid cards? I figure I want to do a 4 disk raid5 or zfs or something. Any info on how to do this cheaply? I figure I want to go with at least an atom cpu.

There's like two or three cases in existence that fit that specification. Chenbro has a couple on Newegg, in the server chassis section. Fractal Design makes another one, but those aren't hotswap. Otherwise there isn't much in that arena. The easiest might be to get a small standard case with 3 5.25" drives, then get a 5-in-3 or 4-in-3 enclosure to hold your data drives.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Does anyone know of an SAS Expander which does not need to be plugged into a PCI-E, or indeed any, expansion slot? I'm trying to plan out an Atom-based server, but the only board I've found with a PCI-E slot (which would first be used by an HBA) has only one slot at all, which would make powering an expander via an expansion slot impossible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Any "gotchas" to using these drives in an mdadm raid5 array?

I know there has been some problems with WD Green drives and some sort of NAS solution that's popular in here, but I've lost track of the actual issues.

I've had the 1.5TB Samsung Ecogreen drives in my box for...470 days according to SMART. No issues in md at any time.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Go to the Openindiana website, update to the latest version using the in-place installer that uses pkg, then scrub. The scrub shouldn't take nearly that long, and it sounds suspiciously like poo poo I ran into back before I upgraded. Also, since it sets a new Boot Environment, if you don't liek OI, you can go right back to snv_118 when you're done.

I finally got around to doing this (it was like 6 commands), but it still says it's going to take 150h (though it is going faster than that, ala windows).

My tank scrub is the one that's taking days to complete, and it looks like the first drive has the majority of the errors... maybe I should get a UPS.

Also, I'm getting an error on one of my files in rpool:
code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-2@2010-11-20-23:40:33:/var/pkg/download/b0/b0f72b1432f45b7fdb0ab2a2860af4b33780a74c
I don't know if this is actually a problem, can I just delete the file it's complaining about?

Finally, should I zpool upgrade rpool and tank once I complete this scrub? I'm guessing it'll add dedup and other useful stuff.

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008
I have a friend who is looking for a large amount of storage for his new home server. It will be acting as an FTP for large numbers of files. Currently he's looking at a 4u, 24 SATA drive enclosure by SuperMicro (http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846TQ-R900.cfm) because 'it's big and I can put lots of 2TB drives in it.' While that's a noble goal, he has little to no idea on what kind of motherboard or processor or RAID card he needs to get.

So, if I may be so bold as to ask what any of you guys use for something this big? If you were given that case, what would you put in it to drive 24 SATA drives?

Thanks.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FISHMANPET posted:

There's like two or three cases in existence that fit that specification. Chenbro has a couple on Newegg, in the server chassis section. Fractal Design makes another one, but those aren't hotswap. Otherwise there isn't much in that arena. The easiest might be to get a small standard case with 3 5.25" drives, then get a 5-in-3 or 4-in-3 enclosure to hold your data drives.

Thanks for mentioning these. The Chenbro case is perfect but it is really expensive and it seems like you'd have to throw the entire loving case out if your PSU died.

I don't understand why there aren't more cases like this. Maybe I'd be way better off (cooling, price, flexibility down the road) if I just got a mini tower case.

Found the other case you mentioned, looks great but is also ridiculously expensive.

paradigmm fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 22, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
These look pretty cool:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...vatedMark=False

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FISHMANPET posted:

These look pretty cool:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...vatedMark=False

Hell yes, eyeing that black lian li with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128452

Those 2 products together is just as much as I paid for this crappy Synology NAS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

paradigmm posted:

Hell yes, eyeing that black lian li with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128452

Those 2 products together is just as much as I paid for this crappy Synology NAS.

That only has 4 SATA ports. You'll need some kind of OS drive to do NAS (or you could use a flash drive, or something like FreeNAS that boots of CD and stores configs on a flash drive). You could do some stuff with that IDE port I suppose.

In the mini-ITX space it's hard to get enough SATA ports without paying out the nose.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FISHMANPET posted:

That only has 4 SATA ports. You'll need some kind of OS drive to do NAS (or you could use a flash drive, or something like FreeNAS that boots of CD and stores configs on a flash drive). You could do some stuff with that IDE port I suppose.

In the mini-ITX space it's hard to get enough SATA ports without paying out the nose.

Was thinking a CF/IDE adapter for the OS, should fit!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, I went out and bought some parts without doing enough research, being incredibly tired and figuring I could make things work with FreeNAS, but I'm getting weird lockups. I'm assumign it's my HDDs as per the thread, here's the parts list:

5x Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB 5900RPM drives (probably the culprit)
Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54
Processor - Athlon 250 dualcore
2 GB of RAM

Currently running FreeNAS with ZFS - and beyond simply disliking the terrible UI and the fact that half the poo poo doesn't seem to work, I'm getting lockups. I would be happy to try out OpenIndiana, and I can find my way around *nix environments, but if it's an issue with ZFS, then I doubt that'll help.

So given my lack of a good raid controller, what are my best options? I'm looking for something that I can fire and forget, and don't care terribly about getting more than 50 MBps out of it. Do I need to buckle down and get a raid controller and go for hardware raid?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

what do you mean by lockups?

coredumps or something different?

I'm not having any issues with those drives, I just made a zfs with them and it seems fine.

What isn't fine, are USB devices which seem to poo poo on FreeNAS on a regular basis and I'm hoping that as soon as I'm done migrating data from my backup drives over to the raid arrays, it'll stop loving core dumping halfway through my rsyncs.

It's helpful to look up the error codes when you get a core dump, they usually mean something helpful to figuring out what the actual problem might be. In my case, I guess I'm using lovely USB docks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Telex posted:

what do you mean by lockups?

coredumps or something different?

I'm not having any issues with those drives, I just made a zfs with them and it seems fine.

What isn't fine, are USB devices which seem to poo poo on FreeNAS on a regular basis and I'm hoping that as soon as I'm done migrating data from my backup drives over to the raid arrays, it'll stop loving core dumping halfway through my rsyncs.

It's helpful to look up the error codes when you get a core dump, they usually mean something helpful to figuring out what the actual problem might be. In my case, I guess I'm using lovely USB docks.

Well specifically what I'm seeing is that the entire server seems to lock up. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that ZFS didn't play nice with those drives, and I'll come back to find a teracopy has skipped like 9000 files with various errors, and then I can't browse to the SMB share.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Falcon2001 posted:

Currently running FreeNAS with ZFS - and beyond simply disliking the terrible UI and the fact that half the poo poo doesn't seem to work, I'm getting lockups. I would be happy to try out OpenIndiana, and I can find my way around *nix environments, but if it's an issue with ZFS, then I doubt that'll help.

Even if it's a ZFS issue, the FreeBSD version is something like 10 revisions behind Solaris, so it's still likely to help.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

Even if it's a ZFS issue, the FreeBSD version is something like 10 revisions behind Solaris, so it's still likely to help.

Welp, since I don't have much to lose, I'll reinstall with OpenIndiana tomorrow :D

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
After a lot of research I ended up buying a QNAP 419p+ with 1tb Samsung drives. I am not unhappy but the write performance is pretty shoddy in raid 5. I only get about 10mb/s writing 1.5gb files to it.

I really like the box except for the slow writes. The setup was a breeze, the interface is nice, it uses very little power. If you are looking for anything that does Raid 5 and is network attached, I'd say give this box a try.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone have experience with a SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR4UTBPN 4 Bay USB 3.0 / eSATA Hardware RAID 5 Tower?

I'm wondering if I could hook one of these up to a WDTV Live. I believe that the WDTV can share out connected external HD's, not sure if that's stock functionality or with 3rd party firmware. But I figure if it could work, then I could have some network storage without having to have a full computer running.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

tboneDX posted:

I finally got around to doing this (it was like 6 commands), but it still says it's going to take 150h (though it is going faster than that, ala windows).

My tank scrub is the one that's taking days to complete, and it looks like the first drive has the majority of the errors... maybe I should get a UPS.

Also, I'm getting an error on one of my files in rpool:
code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-2@2010-11-20-23:40:33:/var/pkg/download/b0/b0f72b1432f45b7fdb0ab2a2860af4b33780a74c
I don't know if this is actually a problem, can I just delete the file it's complaining about?

Finally, should I zpool upgrade rpool and tank once I complete this scrub? I'm guessing it'll add dedup and other useful stuff.

Not an expert on OI/OS but I'd say it'd be ok to just delete the file in question, afterwards do a refresh in package manager to make sure everything is ok.

As for doing a zpool/rpool upgrade, just remember you will be locked to OI once that happens... and can't go back to your pre-OI b134 install. I've been running OI for past month or two, and while it's been great, still haven't upgraded, not sure I will yet.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I asked this a while back and didn't get a reply. Is the D-Link DNS 323 still the best beginner NAS?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was about to begin a migration to Windows Home Server, but since Microsoft has now announced that WHS v2 will be completely pointless I'm having strong second thoughts about the platform. I already did not like Vail's updated Drive Extender removing some of the useful features of the old one, but now that it's being removed altogether that means there will be no upgrade path from WHSv1 of any interest.

I currently have a machine running Ubuntu 10.04 with LVM2 set up as follows:
code:
250GB - ext4 /

500GB \
500GB |
1TB   |- LVM VG - ext4 /volumes/pool0/
1TB   |
1.5TB /

1TB - NTFS /volumes/ntfs1/

1.5TB - Unformatted, awaiting installation.
The NTFS volume is from preparation to move to WHS.

Right now I have the single volume filesystem and can easily add the two other drives to the pool, but LVM provides no protection against disk failure and to the best of my knowledge is actually nearly as bad as RAID 0 in terms of "you lose a drive, you just lost everything". This is the main thing I'd like to gain from anything I move to.

Is there anything other than WHS which works reliably and can offer both a pool that single arbitrary size drives can be added to as well as the knowledge that a disk failure will only kill the data on the failed disk, not the entire pool?

I've experimented with AUFS, but it does not handle writes properly at all from my tests. I can't get it to write to more than one volume, when the ideal would be for new files to automatically get assigned to the volume with the most free space.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wait, what? WHS removed pooled drives?

Wow. I don't know what to say.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm of the same opinion, the drive extender in WHS was one of the main drivers for me. I've been using the earlier Vail beta up to now, but it's become alot less attractive. I'm thinking of just rebuilding my storage box now and dropping Vail but I've got a couple questions:

I'd like to use ESXi as the host at the top-level, since I've got a bunch of work VMs that'd be convenient to play with at home, but a RAID-Z with ZFS is also really appealing to me. Does ZFS-Fuse work with ESXi? If I instead run an OpenIndiana VM under ESXi, can I give it direct disk-access to build a RAID-Z? If so, can I then connect that storage back to the ESXi host using iSCSI to expand the datastore? Is that a terrible idea?

ephori fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 23, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ephori posted:

I'd like to use ESXi as the host at the top-level, since I've got a bunch of work VMs that'd be convenient to play with at home, but a RAID-Z with ZFS is also really appealing to me. Does ZFS-Fuse work with ESXi? If I instead run an OpenIndiana VM under ESXi, can I give it direct disk-access to build a RAID-Z? If so, can I then connect that storage back to the ESXi host using iSCSI to expand the datastore? Is that a terrible idea?

I have heard of this being done by VMware themselves for demos. One machine running ESXi hosting a Solaris variant with ZFS plus two more ESXi guests allowing them to demo the nifty stuff like vMotion and high availability with only one physical machine.

Not sure on the performance though, and last time I checked it took some work to get a raw device mapping to a SATA device on ESXi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolrah posted:

Is there anything other than WHS which works reliably and can offer both a pool that single arbitrary size drives can be added to as well as the knowledge that a disk failure will only kill the data on the failed disk, not the entire pool?

I'm experimenting with doing this with mdadm + LVM right now.

It's not as dead simple as adding drives to WHSv1, but it provides RAID5 protection.

It works like this:

Partition your hard drives, and raid5 one partition from each drive together and then LVM them all into a single volume.

For example, if you have a bunch of hard drives with capacities all divisible by 1TB, you make 1TB your partition size. 1TB hard drives have 1 partitions, 2TB hard drives have 2 partitions, etc.

Take 1 partition from each drive and make a RAID 5 array out of them. For example, /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 all make /dev/md0.

After you're done you have several RAID devices like: /dev/md0, /dev/md1, /dev/md2.

Then you can take all of those and pool them together with LVM.

You can then add a single new hard drive and partition it into 1TB partitions. Then use mdadm to grow each of your existing RAID devices.

I asked pretty much the same question as you a couple pages back. See there and the following posts for a bit of discussion.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Welp, since I don't have much to lose, I'll reinstall with OpenIndiana tomorrow :D

Update: my hardware apparently isn't supported by OpenIndiana...or at least it won't load at all. Just hangs there after the selection screen on both USB and ISO.

Edit: Freenas 7 looks to be a lot better than 8 for some reason, and seems more stable. Let's see if it has the same issues with freezing.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 24, 2010

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

wolrah posted:

Unraid? http://www.lime-technology.com/

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

wow the cases for that unraid stuff are EXACTLY what I want.

except I have a better board/ram/etc that I'm using currently I just think it might be super sweet to have that case and all those icy docks ($450 just for things to put drives in whee).

i wish I would find out about the cool stuff before holiday season!

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

before I potentially spend all night crying about losing my data...

re: zfs

I have one 4-disk (4x2TB) raidz1 vdev that I made a pool from.

I had 4 separate 2TB drives with all my data on them that I have finally managed to copy everything from and now I'm ready to pool those drives.

I think my next option is to make a second vdev raidz1 consisting of the new 4x2TB drives.

How do I then add it to my existing pool without having to destroy the data on the pool?

Can I delete the pool but keep the vdev and everything's peachy or is there some other way to do it that I'm not noticing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
zpool create tank raidz disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4
<coppy data>
zpool add tank raidz disk5 disk6 disk7 disk8

You can use the -n flag (zpool add -n tank raidz ...) to do a dry run.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

zpool create tank raidz disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4
<coppy data>
zpool add tank raidz disk5 disk6 disk7 disk8

You can use the -n flag (zpool add -n tank raidz ...) to do a dry run.

I assume the answer here is no, but will this gently caress with anything that freenas expects to see on the gui side of things?

I didn't create tank and I don't see the word tank anywhere in the freenas gui. This has me a little worried.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Telex posted:

I assume the answer here is no, but will this gently caress with anything that freenas expects to see on the gui side of things?

I didn't create tank and I don't see the word tank anywhere in the freenas gui. This has me a little worried.

Tank is the pool name. You would replace it with whatever your pool is called.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Tank is the pool name. You would replace it with whatever your pool is called.

Oh, I'm retarded then. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Telex posted:

Oh, I'm retarded then. Thanks.

Yeah, tank is the default name for the pool in just about all the solaris literature. It confused the hell out of me when I was looking for command syntax and examples when I first started.

Falcon2001: If you have an intel cpu, you might be running into the same error I was, unplug any SATA CD drives and see if it'll boot properly. Mine would hang for like 15 minutes before slowly booting from CD, so I said gently caress it and got an AMD platform.