Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ropes4u posted:

I totally support the use of tactical nukes, but In the case I was just expressing my outrage.

(sent from my iPad, which might have been assembled by some douche who let their kid starve to death because it was a girl)

Why do you support the use of tactical nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawrenceOfHerLabia
Feb 4, 2005

by Ozmaugh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it only in an attempt to contain a xenomorph infestation in a colony installation with a substantial dollar value attached?

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why do you end questions with a period?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jack Black posted:

?And why do I begin questions with them

Please help me.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Jack Black posted:

Why is no one posting documentaries?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
There's a documentary I saw a few years ago called The Last Peasants. (And here's another article about it.) It concerns the people of a remote village in Romania, the old inhabitants clinging steadily to ancient, almost medieval ways, while the young strive and scheme to escape to somewhere, anywhere else.

While most coverage of the film focused on those who immigrated (or attempted to) and the bitter hard reality of being an illegal immigrant, what struck me was the life of the villagers. They resemble nothing so much as the Elbonians from Dilbert, wearing absurd headgear and farming a land that seemed to consist of nothing but mud. Except it wasn't comical but tragic: families labouring to eke food out of the soil, neighbourhood suspicions and feuds, a son being browbeaten into marrying a local girl so he can keep the farm going. I once met a Romanian and asked her about the area. She nodded sadly and just said, "They're animals out there."

Xipe
Jul 30, 2005
protoAmerican

Graviton v2 posted:

Why is no one posting documentaries?

I'll have a stab at it, apologies if they've recently been posted. I collect documentaries from all over and promptly forget from where, but these threads have been a gold mine: thanks, all.

Fun to Imagine

quote:

Richard Feynman (1918-88) was one of the most remarkable and gifted theoretical physicists of any generation. He was also known as the 'Great Explainer' because of his passion for helping non-scientists to imagine something of the beauty and order of the universe as he saw it.
In this series, Feynman looks at the mysterious forces that make ordinary things happen and, in doing so, answers questions about why rubber bands are stretchy, why tennis balls can't bounce for ever and what you're really seeing when you look in the mirror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI&feature=related

Feynman is just such an impressive, adorable and enthusiastic person, my favorite parts are #4 and #7 where this almost unparalleled genius in quantum mechanics is giggling and musing like a child at the wonders he's explaining.

Here he is much younger. He was such a cool (and dorky) person.

Richard Feynman explains the feeling of confusion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytxafTXg6c&feature=related

Lucky Luciano

quote:

He wrote his name in blood on the sidewalks of New York and made himself the Boss of all Bosses.

Arriving in America at the age of nine and embarking upon a life of crime at age 14, Charles “Lucky” Luciano rose through the ranks of the New York Mafia like a pistol shot.

By the age of 34, he was running the Sicilian mob like a U.S. corporation diversifying the rackets, organizing the gangs and running his own political candidates.

Examine Lucky’s 30-year career as CEO of Murder, Inc. through rare interviews and extensive archival footage. Mob insiders recall the history-making meetings held in Luciano’s Waldorf-Astoria headquarters.

And naval records reveal how his top-secret war efforts earned him parole from a 50-year sentence.Journey into the dangerous world of La Cosa Nostra for the definitive portrait of one of the most notorious criminals in history.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5954609955165122491&hl=en

Ten Commandments of the Mafia

quote:

In 2007, Italian police make an astonishing discovery during a raid on a Mafia boss' villa: a list of the Mafia's most sacred laws. It's an incredible find: a code of conduct for the Mob. Now, for the first time, former Mobsters speak out about the rules that govern their criminal world; and reveal what happened when gangland began to question the so-called 'Ten Commandments of the Mafia'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8eGXOllsU&feature=player_embedded

Quite well-made. I also didn't know much about the mafia (except for Capone and Gotti) so these two were very illuminating and interesting. The second one is perhaps more "infotainment" than a clear cut documentary, but features interviews with case officers from the real Donnie Brasco operation, Henry Hill (Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas) and other "genuine" mafioso.

Revolution OS

quote:

Revolution OS is a 2001 documentary which traces the history of GNU, Linux, and the open source and free software movements. It features several interviews with prominent hackers and entrepreneurs (and hackers-cum-entrepreneurs), including Richard Stallman, Michael Tiemann, Linus Torvalds, Larry Augustin, Eric S. Raymond, Bruce Perens, Frank Hecker and Brian Behlendorf. The film begins in medias res with an IPO, and then sets the historical stage by showing the beginnings of software development back in the day when software was shared on paper tape for the price of the paper itself. It then segues to Bill Gates's Open Letter to Hobbyists in which he asks Computer Hobbyists to not share, but to buy software. (This letter was written by Gates when Microsoft was still based in Arizona and spelled "Micro-Soft".) Richard Stallman then explains how and why he left the MIT Lab for Artificial Intelligence in order to devote his life to the development of free software, as well as how he started with the GNU project. Linus Torvalds is interviewed on his development of the Linux kernel as well as on the GNU/Linux naming controversy and Linux's further evolution, including its commercialization. Richard Stallman remarks on some of the ideological aspects of open source vis-á-vis Communism and capitalism and well as on several aspects of the development of GNU/Linux. Michael Tiemann (interviewed in a desert) tells how he met Stallman and got an early version of Stallman's GCC and founded Cygnus Solutions. Larry Augustin tells how he combined the resulting GNU software and a normal PC to create a UNIX-like Workstation which cost one third the price of a workstation by Sun Microsystems even though it was three times as powerful. His narrative includes his early dealings with venture capitalists, the eventual capitalization and commodification of Linux for his own company, VA Linux, and ends with its IPO. Frank Hecker of Netscape tells how Netscape executives released the source code for Netscape's browser, one of the signal events which made Open Source a force to be reckoned with by business executives, the mainstream media, and the public at large. (this text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licenses)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7707585592627775409

Xipe fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 13, 2010

Xipe
Jul 30, 2005
protoAmerican
A Place for Paedophiles (Louis Theroux)

quote:

Louis visits the Coalinga Mental Hospital in California, which houses more than 500 convicted paedophiles. Spending time with those undergoing treatment, Louis wrestles with whether he can ever allow himself to believe men whose whole history is defined by deception and deceit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frvc1snhF98&p=AB120288690C1504&playnext=1&index=22

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Xipe posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frvc1snhF98&p=AB120288690C1504&playnext=1&index=22
Thanks hadnt seen that one. Well worth watching. Its playlisted as well.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Chernobyl Heart:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=414073095760658789

Chernobyl Heart is a 2003 documentary film by Maryann DeLeo. The film won the Best Documentary Short Subject award at the 2004 Academy Awards.
In the film, DeLeo travels through Ukraine and Belarus with Adi Roche, the Irish founder of the Chernobyl Children's Project International, observing the effects of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster on the health of children in the area. In addition to mutations and severe radiation poisoning, many children suffer from a previously unknown cardiac degradation condition, so common in the area it is known as "Chernobyl heart". DeLeo herself contracted caesium poisoning during the making of the film, although she was successfully treated and made a full recovery.
DeLeo explored the Chernobyl disaster again in 2008 with the film White Horse.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Xipe posted:

It's probably not on Youtube but his latest documentary Welcom to Lagos is up on iPlayer if you're in the UK.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Xipe posted:

I enjoyed this, in the sense that it's well made, but it kept pissing me off.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point of having this mental asylums for pedophiles, since they exist exclusively to prolong these people's sentences, without actually saying so (i.e. most of them would never be allowed to leave, even though they had done their time in prison).

Since the state wants to keep them locked up, I think that they should just be open about it, and either establish mandatory life sentences for child-abuse, or just go the extra mile and execute this people (thus doing what most people would like anyway). Even though I can feel no sympathy for child abusers, the fact that they're being incarcerated after their actual incarceration does bother me, since it could set a dangerous precedent in criminal law, and work as a political tool to suppress civil rights (in different types of offenses, of course).

The particularly annoying thing about this whole arrangement is that they actually live in a very pleasant environment, with none of the dangers associated with prison, where child molesters are targeted on a daily basis. So you go to jail for a ponzi scheme and, depending on the amount of money you stole, spend decades in prison, while if you rape a kid, you spend some years in the joint, and then go to this med-club for the rest of your days.

On a "lighter" note I thought that it was hilarious (though downright creepy) that one of the perverts was so adamant about "setting the record straight" by saying that he does not want to gently caress children (again). His basic idea was that he just hosed a kid because he had the chance to do so, but was in no way a pedophile.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I mean, he could just want to stick his dick in everything once, see what's best.

Should still be locked up, though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Alive Day Memories: Home from Iraq

In his first project since the Sopranos, James Gandolfini brings a stunning documentary about the veterans of the War on Terror. Gandolfini interviews 10 soldiers to see how they're adapting to their lives post war and to discuss the most tragic days of their lives, their Alive Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j08fvUk67U

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just talked about this documentary in the truly scary movies thread, and I don't know if its been mentioned here or not, but "Cropsey" was the most terrifying and awesome documentary I've ever seen. I'll let wikipedia explain it:

Staten Island filmmakers Joshua Zeman and Barbara Brancaccio reveal how an urban legend conjured up to keep kids from exploring abandoned buildings became a horrifying reality when a mysterious drifter began abducting children in their tight-knit urban neighborhood. Growing up, Zeman and Brancaccio were deluged with terrifying tales of Cropsy, a murderous mental patient prone to snatching children off the streets and taking them to the derelict buildings that were once part of the Willowbrook Mental Institution. Some claimed Crospey had a hook for a hand; others claimed his weapon of choice was a large axe. In 1987, that legend crossed the boundary into reality when 13-year-old Jennifer Schweiger vanished without a trace. Her disappearance sent shockwaves of fear through the community, but it was only the first. Before long Crospey had a name: Andre Rand. When a photo of a handcuffed Rand was released in the press, the public didn't need a conviction to know he was the man who had been preying on their children. In this film, Zeman and Brancaccio go back to the scene of the crimes to search for clues, and speak with the locals about how the case has haunted them for decades.

Its up on Hulu right now with the rest of their "huluween" offerings.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So, I'm not sure if requests fly in this here thread, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent Visual Effects documentaries? Stuff about special effects/incorporating CGI would be fantastic. I remember having some cool old VHS tapes of guys talking about the Star Wars special effects years ago, but I lost them a long time ago. :smith:

I wish I had something cool to post here in return, but all I've seen recently is Cosmos, which I probably found in this thread in the first place.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Surprise T Rex posted:

So, I'm not sure if requests fly in this here thread, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent Visual Effects documentaries? Stuff about special effects/incorporating CGI would be fantastic. I remember having some cool old VHS tapes of guys talking about the Star Wars special effects years ago, but I lost them a long time ago. :smith:

I wish I had something cool to post here in return, but all I've seen recently is Cosmos, which I probably found in this thread in the first place.

If you haven't watched them yet, search youtube for "making of lord of the rings" for a whole bunch of stuff.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Tohokai posted:

go the extra mile and execute this people (thus doing what most people would like anyway

Yes lets start killing people based largely on children testimony, dear lord man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why can't civilized countries just go back to the good old "eye for an eye" days? I can't tell you how angry I get when a building collapses and kills a child and that builders child isn't put to death.

Piledriver Mahoney
Oct 30, 2010

by T. Finn

Mrens posted:

Yes lets start killing people based largely on children testimony, dear lord man.

Usually need more than this to convict someone to a lengthy prison sentence just sayin.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Rather amazing new David Attenborough doc on BBC tonight.

David Attenborough's First Life.

"In fifty years of broadcasting, Sir David Attenborough has travelled the globe to document the living world in all its wonder. Now, in the landmark series, David Attenborough's First Life, he completes his journey by going back in time to the roots of the tree of life, in search of the very first animals. Attenborough's journey begins in a forest near his childhood home in Leicester, where a fossil discovery transformed our understanding of the evolution of complex life. Travelling to the fog bound coastline of Newfoundland and the Australian outback, Attenborough unearths the earliest forms of animal life to exist on Earth.

These bizarre and wonderful creatures are brought to life with the help of cutting edge scientific technology and photorealistic visual effects. From the first animal forms that moved to the first mouths that ate, these were creatures that evolved the traits and tools that allow all animals, including ourselves, to survive to this day."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vspkd/David_Attenboroughs_First_Life_Arrival/

I watched it, stunning. Sorry you non UK people, prahaps you can fire up the proxys or something.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 6, 2010

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Tohokai posted:

I enjoyed this, in the sense that it's well made, but it kept pissing me off.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point of having this mental asylums for pedophiles, since they exist exclusively to prolong these people's sentences, without actually saying so (i.e. most of them would never be allowed to leave, even though they had done their time in prison).

Well I actually like the idea. If a cure could be found for whatever could possibly make one want to rape a kid, let them at it! It could prevent thousands of children from ever being victims of sex crimes and would allow what let normally downright repugnant people lead morally righteous lives (or at least ones that don't lead to rape of children, witch in their case is a huge rear end improvement)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone have any good documentaries on Canada or Canadian culture? I have Souvenir of Canada and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Does anyone have any good documentaries on Canada or Canadian culture? I have Souvenir of Canada and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Trailer Park Boys is on Netflix Watch Instant. :rimshot:

Romanshoes
Dec 15, 2007

Haha! They're Roman shoes! Aren't I witty?
Surprised no one's mentioned Abandoned Children of Bulgaria, which is an incredibly depressing and rage-inducing look into a Bulgarian orphanage. These kids are malnourished, socially deprived to the point that they grow up not speaking, not given basic medical care even though proper medical care is available...and it's implied the only reason they aren't being physically and sexually abused is that there's a camera right there.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

cloudchamber posted:

It's probably not on Youtube but his latest documentary Welcom to Lagos is up on iPlayer if you're in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XnEr1V9gc

Did you mean this? It's called "Hard Law in Lagos". Very bad quality on youtube, unfortunately.

There's another BBC documentary called "Welcome to Lagos", not by Louis Theroux, but still a very good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8llgvgHxHE&feature=related

Also, here's Vocal Slender's full music video (He's one of the guys that this documentary is about) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBaA-VwidI&feature=related Pretty nice song in my opinion.
His dedication to making it big in music is awe-inspiring.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 6, 2010

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Romanshoes posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned Abandoned Children of Bulgaria, which is an incredibly depressing and rage-inducing look into a Bulgarian orphanage. These kids are malnourished, socially deprived to the point that they grow up not speaking, not given basic medical care even though proper medical care is available...and it's implied the only reason they aren't being physically and sexually abused is that there's a camera right there.

This entire documentary is a huge heartwrencher. But, thankfully they went back because there was such a huge public outcry. Here's the followup documentary:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/bulgaria-abandoned-children-revisited/

The Dickens
Mar 31, 2010

Tohokai posted:

On a "lighter" note I thought that it was hilarious (though downright creepy) that one of the perverts was so adamant about "setting the record straight" by saying that he does not want to gently caress children (again). His basic idea was that he just hosed a kid because he had the chance to do so, but was in no way a pedophile.

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Get it right, I don't currently gently caress children nor do I seek them out nor is one on my dick at this instant. Mostly because nobody's on it because I'm in an asylum. But yanno, pass the word along. Don't judge me just because I had sex with a child once, that was hours ago, at least.

At any rate, good watching. And that one guy...I don't know, I guess I'd assumed more of the interviewed would be like him, but the grateful dead guy for example surprised me. There's something to be said for how open and just "Oh you meant what am I here for? I'm a child molester." Well then. Carry on. I suppose when you're surrounded by people like you and the whole point is honesty and clarification on what you've done and why to avoid ever doing it again, there's no reason to dance around it outside of active therapy. I'm willing to admit I don't know all there is to know about the daily doings of pedophiles in rehabilitation but I guess I'd expected more of a sense of "It's not your business and who are you again? Why do you need to know?" even though they were briefed as to his arrival. I'd just expected more bristled responses.

The Dickens fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2010

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
The Genius of Photography

In the course of our 170 year relationship, photography has delighted us, served us, moved us, outraged us and occasionally disappointed us. But mainly, it has intrigued us by showing the secret strangeness that lies beneath the world of appearances. And that is photography's true genius.

Follow the story of photography in this six-part series 'The Genius of Photography'. See some of the most famous photographs ever taken and find out more about what made them so very special.

Really good documentary by the BBC. If you like photography you'll like this.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 7, 2010

WingAttackPlanR
Apr 30, 2002

POE/OPE
Marwencol

http://www.marwencol.com/

This one is in threatres now, I saw it last night and Ai highly recomend it. Mark Hogencamp is a guy who gets his head bashed in by 5 jerks outside an upstate New York bar. He comes out of a coma with severe memory loss and physical disability. He eventually starts building the fictitious town of Marwencol set in World War II Belgium in 1/6 scale in his backyard and starts populating it with 1/6 scale models, barbies and action figures. Each model being a person in his past, friends and acquaintances. Crafting the town, its inhabitants and its story becomes his therapy for his significant physical and mental scars. Along the way he takes some pictures which caught the eye of a local photographer and eventually a NYC art gallery. The documentary is about his road to recovery and preparation for the gallery opening.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Didn't see it earlier so...

Gunner Palace
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1197653167 Part 1
(Quality is crap but i found it pretty quickly)

The story of troops in Iraq told by the troops. If you can get past the amateur rapping it's a pretty awesome insight into how troops act and think and what the war had become.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WingAttackPlanR posted:

Marwencol

http://www.marwencol.com/

This one is in threatres now, I saw it last night and Ai highly recomend it. Mark Hogencamp is a guy who gets his head bashed in by 5 jerks outside an upstate New York bar. He comes out of a coma with severe memory loss and physical disability. He eventually starts building the fictitious town of Marwencol set in World War II Belgium in 1/6 scale in his backyard and starts populating it with 1/6 scale models, barbies and action figures. Each model being a person in his past, friends and acquaintances. Crafting the town, its inhabitants and its story becomes his therapy for his significant physical and mental scars. Along the way he takes some pictures which caught the eye of a local photographer and eventually a NYC art gallery. The documentary is about his road to recovery and preparation for the gallery opening.

If this sounds familiar to folks, I believe this same guy appeared in the TV version of This American Life, plus possibly a radio segment, though I'm not sure.

WingAttackPlanR
Apr 30, 2002

POE/OPE
It could, be, the showing I went to was hosted by an NPR film critic.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Medal of Honor Winner SSG Giunta

Click here to visit

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

B3dl4m posted:

Didn't see it earlier so...

Gunner Palace
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1197653167 Part 1
(Quality is crap but i found it pretty quickly)

The story of troops in Iraq told by the troops. If you can get past the amateur rapping it's a pretty awesome insight into how troops act and think and what the war had become.

Amateur rapping yes, but the guy who does the sweet metal lead guitar makes up for that(...its amateur as well i guess)

Regardless it is an awesome doco, and a good companion to the tv series Generation Kill.

I add A Walk Through H: The Reincarnation of an Ornithologist (1978)

If you like Peter Greenaway and drugs then this is an awesome film.

It is a journey through many of his paintings set to a story.

Film is here:
http://www.ubu.com/film/greenaway_walk.html

"As the camera pores over 92 mixed media pictures hung in a gallery (all painted exquisitely by Greenaway himself), a pedantic narrator describes his mysterious journey to H, using the pictures as maps. Subtitled The Reincarnation of an Ornithologist, this film seems to be concerned with the migration of a soul (to Heaven or Hell) following the migratory paths of birds (which feature prominently) - but along the way it takes in the curious provenance and intrepretation of each painting, and it documents a bewildering intrigue between the narrator, his mentor Tulse Luper and his rival van Heuten (keeper of the owls at the Amsterdam Zoo)."

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Haven't had a chance to read the thread yet, but wanted to offer this suggestion just in case:

Lord of the Dance Machine

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7219723761907308555

A fun little doc about a British DDR player. The guy's a total chav, but it's an interesting videogame story.

Holy poo poo I can't believe I have never seen this.
This is going to sound really gay, but I used to be involved with the DDR scene here in the UK, I was good, but never that good.
I've met Kyle (K-dogg) Quite a few times, He's a pretty cool bloke. I was better friends with RMO, who is One of Europe's top ITG/DDR players, who was a very good friend of Kyle's.
This looks absolutely hilarious and I'm going to watch it now.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
American Hardcore

Awesome documentary about the hardcore punk scene in the early/mid 80s, featuring concert footage of band such as Black Flag, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, and SSD, as well as interviews with all sorts of people involved in the scene. I'd definitively recommend it to anyone with any sort of interest in punk/alternative music.

Slippy G
Jul 2, 2007

oh shit
For anyone interested in Tattooing, I just got done watching The Mark of Cain. It's basically about criminals and how their tattoos become part of their life as a prisoner. Everything means something and the prisoners don't have to talk about what everyone did on the outside, how long they have been in prison for, or what criminal rank they have. Also Russian prisons look bleak as gently caress. Also wikipedia says it heavily influenced the film Eastern Promises so I guess if you liked that watch this too.

It's all up on youtube starting here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqnh6-F5AQ

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just watched a great little documentary called The Cruise.

It's in HD on Netflix Streaming.

It follows a tour guide operator in 1998 New York as he talks about the city and his life philosophy in general. It was a lot more insightful than I thought it'd be. He has a great way of verbalizing of what it's like to live in an organism like NYC.

It's a little bit ego, little bit mental illness, and little bit brilliant!

It's got a 7.6/10 at IMDB. Pretty good.

The end with his confrontation with the Fire Door was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Apologies if this was posted, but "The Business of Being Born" is pretty great. I watched it last night and really enjoyed. :nws: for titties and babies popping out of vaginas. Unsure if it's online for free, but you can watch with a free trial of netflix.

If anyone knows any other good birth/baby related documentaries (other than Babies, and In the Womb), I'd love to hear.