Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Peter Kay was loving hilarious when he was still a rising star and Phoenix Nights was one of the finest sitcoms of the past 20 years.

It needed said.

Michael McIntyre is funny as gently caress too.

Sorry to have strayed outside the the Stewart Lee/Charlie Brooker/Armando Iannucci bubble of acceptable comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SeanBeansShako posted:

Comedy needs to be funny, ergo.

No you see, some people don't have a sense of humour, they need a comedy as well. We have to be inclusive and not judgemental...

of mishapen giants with lank hair lumbering around wearing saggy underwear in poo poo programmes.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 23, 2010

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Peter Kay is basically Seinfeld. People forget that he was one of the first people to do that kind of comedy and make it popular, so he gets resented for being boring and unoriginal years down the line because his style of comedy is copied so much.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Peter Kay is basically Seinfeld. People forget that he was one of the first people to do that kind of comedy and make it popular, so he gets resented for being boring and unoriginal years down the line because his style of comedy is copied so much.

While I will agree that Peter Kay is good at reminding you of things you thought you had forgotten but hadn't really, for money. I cannot agree that people resent him for being original, rather people think he's a oval office because his behaviour is that of a oval office and his routine(s ?) are not funny.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
People hate him because he's released the same DVD every Christmas for about 8 years running and not written any new material since he hit the big time, but he was still very funny. I remember seeing his Comedy Store special before I knew who he was and it was hysterical.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This "all he does is remind you about things" poo poo that I keep hearing is also stupid poo poo that seems to be propogated (in jest) by less successful comedians and then proliferated by people who haven't even seen his standup. It's like saying all Stewart Lee does is talk slowly and repeat the same thing over and over. That's only a small part of his act.

Disclaimer: Not a peter kay fan. Let's just be fair in our criticism

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's quite simple- Phoenix Nights was excellent, everything else Peter Kay has done has been painfully unfunny. His co-writers on Phoenix Nights must have been responsible for all the good stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Who remembers posting ? Ee, but weren't posting grand ? Eh ? You don't see much now. Round my way we were always posting on t'Something Awful forums. Those were t'days. You remember ?

Down t' t' mine.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
It was lovely to see my delightful home town of Wakefield on the old goggle box last night. At least I can say hi to the coppers now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My dad, he used to say "POSTIN'? POSTIN'? WHEN I WERE A LAD WE DIDN'T DO NO POSTIN'!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Remember when northern people paid to be reminded of things they do every day ?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That thing where he was an ice cream man was pretty funny too actually. It was more than ten years ago though.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

eat oatcakes

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Incest?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

marktheando posted:

That thing where he was an ice cream man was pretty funny too actually. It was more than ten years ago though.

That Peter Kay Thing and yea that was glorious.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
I remember laughing at his stuff when I was ten -ten years ago-, but then again, I was a loving idiot at ten. :smug: I think, as stated above, that people have a problem with the same routine over and over and over and over just to churn a profit.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Everything Peter Kay did up till Phoenix Nights Season 2 was gold. Everything after is pure poo poo. Kay is not a good standup - not all TV comedians are good standups. I love Dara O Briain in anything I see him in - but couldn't sit through one of his standup DVDs. Same with Ricky Gervais, his radio/TV/podcasts are solid gold, but I really struggled sitting through his latest standup DVD. Plus all his American movies are poo poo except Waiting for Guffman, and he only had a bit part in that.

All the darker stuff from the Coogan/Ianucci/Brooker/Chris Morris/Sam Bain crowd gets a huge reaction because it is genuinely more entertaining and has more truth, honesty and pathos in it. I don't live in the UK, but growing up watching British comedy on TV has made it unable for me to watch 99% of American sitcoms. I can truthfully say I have never sat through a complete episode of Friends or Sienfeld in my life. It becomes tedious and pointless to sit through something that has obviously been written by a group of writers to be inoffensive and to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible.

I'm assuming most people my age(late 20s early 30s) have seen it all before and can predict plotlines and punchlines coming a mile away. You need something raw and new to keep me interested, doesn't always have to be dark and gritty. More Extras and less When the Whistle Blows, if you know what I mean.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

lynch_69 posted:

I can truthfully say I have never sat through a complete episode of Friends or Sienfeld in my life. It becomes tedious and pointless to sit through something that has obviously been written by a group of writers to be inoffensive and to appeal to as wide a demographic as possible.

Seinfeld is better than the vast majority of British sitcoms.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

I'd rather be forced to watch Miranda for the rest of eternity, Clockwork Orange style, than watch a single episode of Seinfeld.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Junkenstein posted:

I find Seinfeld incredibly overrated. I've seen a fair few episodes but I just don't laugh at it. I don't really get what all the fuss is about to be honest.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

Junkenstein posted:

Curb your enthusiasm is a much better show.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I've tried getting into both Curb and Seinfeld and I just don't find either of them funny

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seinfeld is poo poo with annoying music. And Curb Your Enthusiasm is the flagship of that agressively unfunny wave of super cheap looking US sitcoms that are objectively worse than the holocaust.

I am the strongman of taste and I have spoken.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Seinfeld might appear a little dated if you've never seen it before but it's still absolutely fantastic.

Curb is like a whole new level of comedy and way better than almost all contemporary British comedies.

I think a lot of British people just can't get past the American style of presentation and assume all American comedies are committee-written cheesy sitcoms.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What the gently caress, how anyone can say that Seinfeld wasn't the best TV sit com of the 90s? Every episode in the first four seasons is a comic masterpiece, every single one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

fuf posted:

Curb is like a whole new level of comedy and way better than almost all contemporary British comedies.

It's so funny you wont even laugh. It is the New Funny.

*Drinks frothachinomochalattelapsangcurry, wears new designer invisible clothes*

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Americans get out

Anyone sympathetic to Americans or their comedy get out

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob

keep punching joe posted:

What the gently caress, how anyone can say that Seinfeld wasn't the best TV sit com of the 90s? Every episode in the first four seasons is a comic masterpiece, every single one.

Hang on, i`ll have a go and then give you a trip report:

Seinfeld was NOT the best TV sitcom of the 90's.

Ok, trip report:
Mildly satisfying.

Seinfeld was toss. Frasier was far more my cup of tea. Slurp.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
:siren: BNP voting bloc spotted :siren:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Curb Your Enthusiasm is brilliant and deserves all the praise it gets.

I don't see any fundamental difference between Seinfeld and any other multicamera sitcom. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't hate Friends, for example. Quite like How I Met Your Mother or sometimes Big Bang Theory. If Friends was a new show and I hadn't seen every episode a million times without even trying to watch it, I'm sure I would probably tune in.

I mean, the early seasons are too dated now and the later stuff was stuck in a massive caricature-driven rut, but the middle few seasons make up a perfectly good sitcom. Similarly, Seinfeld is okay, but I see no genius in it whatsoever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

reflir posted:

:siren: BNP voting bloc spotted :siren:

I think you'll find I said that I don't like Peter Kay.

You remember Peter Kay ? Eh ? He were reet good weren't 'e ? Sliding 'round on his knees. Don't see t'Peter Kay nowadays.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Meltdown321 posted:

Frasier was far more my cup of tea. Slurp.

The first few seasons of Frasier were excellent, although it did disappear up its own arsehole for the last few. I've never actually seen an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but from the clips I've seen it looks as funny and entertaining as watching a Crown Green Bowls tournament.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

I prefer the accents in Crown Green Bowls tournaments. Other than that, i`d par those two as well.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When you die and go to hell I hope it's an eternity of watching On the Up and Keeping up Appearances.

Edit: And Goodnight loving Sweetheart

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Frasier always seemed good from the little I saw of it. For some reason I always assumed Niles was a serial killer.

Edit: Curb Your is the new Keeping Up. Seriously.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Niles :swoon:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

*Drinks frothachinomochalattelapsangcurry, wears new designer invisible clothes*

See, people can't get over the presentation.

Not every good comedy has to be gritty and English. Enjoying curb isn't succumbing to some American consumerist cultural hegemony or whatever.

Every comedy should be treated like a beautiful unique little snowflake and given a chance on its own terms.

I mean sure everyone has different tastes, but I honestly can't see how anyone who has watched a lot of good comedy can deny that curb has moments of genius, Larry David is just too ridiculously talented.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

keep punching joe posted:

When you die and go to hell I hope it's an eternity of watching On the Up and Keeping up Appearances.

Edit: And Goodnight loving Sweetheart

As long as I don't have to watch Seinfeld.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

fuf posted:

See, people can't get over the presentation.

Not every good comedy has to be gritty and English. Enjoying curb isn't succumbing to some American consumerist cultural hegemony or whatever.

You have fundamentally misunderstood my point. I assume you have never encoutered the parable of the Emperor's New Clothes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

fuf posted:

Every comedy should be treated like a beautiful unique little snowflake and given a chance on its own terms.

I treat comedies as unique when they appear to be so. When there`s a mass-producing formula that`s currently in vogue and churning out poo poo like Seinfeld, etc, i just tend to ignore them instead.

Edit: And watch something decent like Black Books or Danger Mouse.