Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

keep punching joe posted:

When you die and go to hell I hope it's an eternity of watching On the Up and Keeping up Appearances.

Edit: And Goodnight loving Sweetheart

daffy oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob

Tardstar posted:

daffy oval office

I hope you paused for a suitable period of time so that the canned laughter could identify this as amusing, otherwise i`m not sure some people will understand.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Meltdown321 posted:

I treat comedies as unique when they appear to be so. When there`s a mass-producing formula that`s currently in vogue and churning out poo poo like Seinfeld, etc, i just tend to ignore them instead.

Edit: And watch something decent like Black Books or Danger Mouse.

Seinfeld ran from 1990-1998, so your "currently in vogue" comment doesn't really work unless you think comedy moves at a glacial pace.

For its time, Seinfeld was absolutely as unique as Black Books. It was the work of two people, not a "mass-producing formula". If it appears that way now, it's because it's the most influential sitcom ever so we have become completely familiar with its style.

Curb is even more unique, more so than Black Books, which was incredibly well written but pretty familiar in its sitcom style.

I dunno I just get the impression a lot of people haven't even watched these shows properly before dismissing them.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Meltdown321 posted:

I hope you paused for a suitable period of time so that the canned laughter could identify this as amusing, otherwise i`m not sure some people will understand.

am ah bothered?
      /

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

fuf posted:

Seinfeld ran from 1990-1998, so your "currently in vogue" comment doesn't really work unless you think comedy moves at a glacial pace.

For its time, Seinfeld was absolutely as unique as Black Books. It was the work of two people, not a "mass-producing formula". If it appears that way now, it's because it's the most influential sitcom ever so we have become completely familiar with its style.

Curb is even more unique, more so than Black Books, which was incredibly well written but pretty familiar in its sitcom style.

I dunno I just get the impression a lot of people haven't even watched these shows properly before dismissing them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

I think it's a case of this. Seinfeld seems old and boring now because all the good comedies mimic it. For its time, Seinfeld was an incredibly new concept, and without it there'd be no The Office or shows of a similar ilk.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

I don`t think anything has changed SINCE the 90`s with American sitcoms. Curb is basically an idiotic version of One Foot in the Grave and only expands on the usual by adding curse words in which shock those giggles out of you. Except they don`t, because it`s just daft.

Maybe it`s a culture thing, maybe it`s because i like my comedies with more thought and less huge great signs pointing out the humour. Also, sarcasm is something i rarely see implemented well with any amusement in any American sitcom, excepting (early) Frasier.

Edit: ^^^^ I`d welcome that. Ricky Gervais is the biggest prick in UK comedy at the moment.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I think it's a case of this. Seinfeld seems old and boring now because all the good comedies mimic it. For its time, Seinfeld was an incredibly new concept, and without it there'd be no The Office or shows of a similar ilk.

I was about to edit my post to add that Black Books (and all the other non-cheesy, non-sentimental comedies) wouldn't have existed without Seinfeld, but yeah you've made the same point.

edit:

Meltdown321 posted:

Maybe it`s a culture thing

I definitely think it is a culture thing, and most of my friends would agree with you completely. They refuse to watch any American TV and we have this exact argument all the time. I just think it's a shame, because if you can get past the "American TV = dumb" theory that is part of the British mindset there's actually a lot of really good American comedy.

Meltdown321 posted:

i like my comedies with more thought and less huge great signs pointing out the humour.

Oh man please don't make the "thinking man's comedy" argument, it just doesn't work. You honestly think that Black Books doesn't have any "huge great signs pointing out the humour" but Curb does? That's just not the case.

fuf fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 23, 2010

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

fuf posted:

I was about to edit my post to add that Black Books (and all the other non-cheesy, non-sentimental comedies) wouldn't have existed without Seinfeld, but yeah you've made the same point.

Because no one would be motivated to cheer up the world after the dismal attempts of said sitcom?

^^^^ Never mentioned thinking man`s humour, just don`t want moron`s humour.

Meltdown321 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 23, 2010

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Seinfeld is trash and all it influenced is how to make yet more terrible cultural exports by a country of retards who barely understand the concept of sarcasm.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

For its time, Seinfeld was an incredibly new concept, and without it there'd be no The Office or shows of a similar ilk.

Well in that case, as soon as I invent a time machine I know who I'm killing first and it's not Hitler.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I know about opinions and all that, but I don't get the hate for The Office. I know nowadays that Ricky Gervais is a oval office, he is arrogant, and he hogs screentime; but if you overlook his personality I can't see how you could hate The Office so much. It's got character development, humour, and emotion. I can't fault it.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

I know about opinions and all that, but I don't get the hate for The Office. I know nowadays that Ricky Gervais is a oval office, he is arrogant, and he hogs screentime; but if you overlook his personality I can't see how you could hate The Office so much. It's got character development, humour, and emotion. I can't fault it.

I don`t hate The Office as such, i just don`t particularly find it that funny, more cringey. Everything else that came after this for Ricky Gervais was arse, as was he.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

It's got character development, humour, and emotion.

All of which is overshadowed by the comedy blackhole which is Ricky loving Gervais. I loving hated him on The 11 O'Clock Show and nothing I've seen of him since has altered my opinion at all. I did try to watch The Office but I had to keep turning the sound off every time he opened his mouth, which was far too loving often.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

I know nowadays that Ricky Gervais is a oval office, he is arrogant, and he hogs screentime; but if you overlook his personality I can't see how you could hate The Office so much. It's got character development, humour, and emotion. I can't fault it.
Watch Cemetery Junction for more Gervais (read: probably Merchant) brilliance. And no screentime hogging.

Also this thread has gone insane, apparently every comedy ever is poo poo. Saying that, Arrested Development hasn't been mentioned so I assume we all love that.

Speaking of, Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is... alright, David Cross plays a pretty great hole-digging character.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

I quite like Yes, Prime Minister and also The Good Life.

They probably would never have existed if it wasn`t for Seinfeld.

Meltdown321 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 23, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flatscan posted:

I'd rather be forced to watch Miranda for the rest of eternity, Clockwork Orange style, than watch a single episode of Seinfeld.

ITS A SIN! ITS A SIN! A MOBILE PHONE WOULD HAVE SOLVED ALL OF THESE PLOT ISSUES!

And Peter Kay was funny until after series 2 of Phoenix Nights, He Autobiography is a good read :).

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
I'm sorry, people are making GBS threads on Seinfeld in this thread now?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

I love how I said this at the top of the last page and then the exact argument I was talking about sprung up in the following pages.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Seinfeld has absolutely no place in this thread. Thanks to whoever said " the scheme" that's what i was looking for!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Meltdown321 posted:

I quite like Yes, Prime Minister and also The Good Life.

They probably would never have existed if it wasn`t for Seinfeld.

come now that's just silly.

I was only arguing with you because you said this:

quote:

...a mass-producing formula that`s currently in vogue and churning out poo poo like Seinfeld

This is just an incredibly stupid thing to say and I couldn't live with myself if I let that kind of misinformed opinion go unchallenged.

But yeah that's probably enough Seinfeld discussion, sorry.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Gervaischat:

The Office is great, but I'm still not sure whether that was in spite of Gervais or whether it was simply before he became The World's Favourite Englishman and hence before his ego exploded.

Series one of Extras is also very good, but series two is complete and utter self-serving bollocks.

Ghost Town is dull as loving dishwater. The Invention Of Lying is everything that was wrong with series two of Extras cranked up to 27 and is legitimately and without even a shred of exaggeration one of the worst movies I've ever watched.

All that being said, An Idiot Abroad makes me chuckle and that's all I ask a comedy programme to do.

Man I love it when this thread gets mean.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

All right, if we`re being all serious now, in a comedy thread...

Most the Seinfeld materials i saw in Cheers, and to be honest Cheers, did it so much better. I think everything after that just had the same colour to it. I don`t doubt it influenced much as everything is sourced from somewhere but i don`t see it as amusing in the least.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Meltdown321 posted:

All right, if we`re being all serious now, in a comedy thread...

Most the Seinfeld materials i saw in Cheers, and to be honest Cheers, did it so much better. I think everything after that just had the same colour to it. I don`t doubt it influenced much as everything is sourced from somewhere but i don`t see it as amusing in the least.

This isnt a comedy thread though? its a general British tv show thread.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sorry I brought up Seinfeld back there I guess, but it sounds like out of those people trashing it, nobody has actually watched it.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

LE0N posted:

This isnt a comedy thread though? its a general British tv show thread.

Thanks for focussing on that and making it stand out there. Yes, i realise the thread isn`t specifically about comedy but the current topic is. I`d like to offer my sincerest apologies for offending anyone with that particular strain of ASD.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

Sorry I brought up Seinfeld back there I guess, but it sounds like out of those people trashing it, nobody has actually watched it.

I can't speak for the others in this thread, but unlike most of the 'spergy fuckers in the US threads I actually stop watching poo poo programmes after a couple of episodes. (SGU is my one vice in this regard)

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
everyone I know likes curb I've never bothered with Seinfield though. The only other thing I've watched with Seinfield in was Bee Movie so you can understand why I'm not in a rush to watch anything else of his.
I also enjoy eastbound and down and that Todd Margaret thing (would FOTC count?) so maybe I don't have a strong irrational aversion to american programming like others here :3

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Family guy will forever loving suck mind

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

I like Happy Days. That work for you?

Well, i did when i was about ten, anyway.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
There's new episodes of Infinite Monkey Cage up on iTunes.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Anyone who dislikes The Office is a humourless grump, and extras is funny too. That said it's clear that Ricky Gervais is a one dimensional comedian (and a fairly cheap one too), but undeniably struck on gold when he co-wrote the office. Stephen Merchant is dreamy though.

And as for Seinfield, I think it's definitely suffered from the legacy it created; most people in this thread were probably too young to watch it thoroughly (I know I was). I've heard it's good, but after suffering through about half my life watching endless Friends repeats (seriously why is this the go to program alongside The Simpsons?) I just feel like I've seen it all before.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The best american sitcom of all time is The Larry Sanders Show.

Second place is one that only lasted one series called Action which is such a shame because it was loving hilarious, if you've never heard of it I strongly suggest you give it a watch.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

le chat posted:

Family guy will forever loving suck mind

American Dad is great though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DaWolfey posted:

Second place is one that only lasted one series called Action which is such a shame because it was loving hilarious, if you've never heard of it I strongly suggest you give it a watch.

That was the one with the producer making the terrible film right? I remember quite liking that, though it's been an age since I saw it. Is it on DVD?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Flatscan posted:

I can't speak for the others in this thread, but unlike most of the 'spergy fuckers in the US threads I actually stop watching poo poo programmes after a couple of episodes. (SGU is my one vice in this regard)

That is a bizarre behavioural quirk a lot of American posters do seem to have. That and calling for a programme they still enjoy and watch every week to be cancelled just in case it stops being enjoyable.

It is baffling.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DaWolfey posted:

The best american sitcom of all time is The Larry Sanders Show.

I would point out that Arrested Development is both the funniest and cleverest US sitcom, but it's clearly not the thread to be having this argument.

Instead: The Trip. I finally watched it, and it's brilliant.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Action was superb, I loved it. As for current American comedy shows that are good: Eastbound and Down, Bored to Death, and The Office. I watched the first couple of episodes of Running Wilde for Peter Serafinowicz and was thoroughly underwhelmed.
That being said, Stephen Mangan linked this on Twitter today, I've never heard of it, but it looks promising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4yH0mI-yJs&feature=youtu.be

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Roffle are people in this thread trying to pretend that Seinfeld isn't good? Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. Get a grip people.

Edit: Also, finding Peter Kay funny = BNP supporter. Thanks UK TV IV Thread, I never realised everyone I know, and my entire family were so full of race hate.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 24, 2010

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Leyburn posted:

Roffle are people in this thread trying to pretend that Seinfeld isn't good? Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. Get a grip people.

Edit: Also, finding Peter Kay funny = BNP supporter. Thank's UK TV IV Thread, I never realised everyone I know, and my entire family were so full of race hate.

Kill them then kill yourself, do the gene-pool a favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Sorry for being poor and common. How can I be more like you 'proper' folk?