Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dicky B posted:

This "all he does is remind you about things" poo poo that I keep hearing is also stupid poo poo that seems to be propogated (in jest) by less successful comedians and then proliferated by people who haven't even seen his standup. It's like saying all Stewart Lee does is talk slowly and repeat the same thing over and over.

But other less successful comedians* DO say this about Stewart Lee

*Richard Herring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Leyburn posted:

Sorry for being poor and common. How can I be more like you 'proper' folk?

Poor and common isn't the problem, it's the webbed fingers and toes.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

Leyburn posted:

Roffle

Seriously?

That said, Seinfeld is alright by me because it was a direct influence on Father Ted which is basically the best sitcom ever. No, don't bother arguing because you're wrong and I'm going to bed now anyway. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone about a page or two ago mentioned Danger Mouse. I couldn't be hosed to read the useless cuntery since then, so all I ask is: Did anyone bad-mouth Danger Mouse?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
loving hell, I return from the pub to find this thread with 84 new posts?! I think all you people who seem to absolutely detest pretty acclaimed shows should maybe back up your opinions with some kind of argument, else you're pretty much the kids who will just dismiss a book as 'boring' and feel that is sufficient.

For my part, I feel that what a lot of the Seinfeld haters have failed to recognise is the way in which it differs from the vastly inferior shows its format has spawned. There's a deep underlying core of cynicism in the show that I think a lot of English viewers would enjoy if they gave it half a chance (rather than dismiss it because it looks like Friends, and the music is loving awful). The characters are greedy, selfish, lazy and want to do little else but get laid, but they're still friends and enjoy hanging out with each other, and that chemistry is what really makes the show work. The same situation pretty much exists in any Graham Linehan comedy - albeit with more wackiness - so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

I'd try to write about why I think Curb's great, but it's half two in the morning, so gently caress.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dappy from N Dubz is doing the Alt. Xmas Speech this year.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Seinfeld was a really great show. The "mass-produced" criticism is incredibly misguided and uninformed as it was the creation of Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, both of which had full creative control until the very end.

The show might seem like every other show after it because it was the original that all the others aped, usually very badly.

Thanks to Seinfeld we have stuff like Father Ted, Black Books and Peep Show. We also have stuff like Friends, Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie and Family Guy.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Probably one of my favorite things about Seinfeld was that most of the plots and storylines are based somewhat in fact. Like the episode where George decides to quit his job, but then regrets it, so decides to go into work anyway and pretend like it didn't happen. Larry David got some poo poo from people saying that it wouldn't happen, and if it did then nobody would react in that way, then he revealed that it did happen to him and that's exactly what he did.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 24, 2010

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Someone about a page or two ago mentioned Danger Mouse. I couldn't be hosed to read the useless cuntery since then, so all I ask is: Did anyone bad-mouth Danger Mouse?

Danger mouse wouldn't exist if it wasn't for seinfeld.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

le chat posted:

Family guy will forever loving suck mind
one of my housemates was gobsmacked when I said old Simpsons was way better than Family Guy. He said Simpsons was poo poo and for kids and then went around asking everyone which they preferred

they all prefer Family Guy :negative:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The Perfect Element posted:

so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

And I think the idiots parroting the received wisdom that Seinfeld is the progenitor of all modern comedy should realise that Britain has a tradition of black comedy which pre-dates weak poo poo like Seinfeld by decades, if not centuries.
I realise that young people today have a hard time believing anything of note actually happened before their birth, but seriously, there's a reason Seinfeld never took off over here.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Flatscan posted:

And I think the idiots parroting the received wisdom that Seinfeld is the progenitor of all modern comedy should realise that Britain has a tradition of black comedy which pre-dates weak poo poo like Seinfeld by decades, if not centuries.
I realise that young people today have a hard time believing anything of note actually happened before their birth, but seriously, there's a reason Seinfeld never took off over here.
I fully agree. Never enjoyed Seinfeld (yes even when it was first on), I can appreciate its technical brilliance but it didn't make me laugh much. At the same time in the UK we had a few black comedy's (Seinfeld wasn't black comedy it was suburbanite comedy of errors type poo poo) making me belly laugh out loud, far better.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Flatscan posted:

I'd say Father Ted owes more to stuff like Blackadder than to Seinfeld anyway.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

I'd say Father Ted owes more to stuff like Blackadder than to Seinfeld anyway.

Exactly my point.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I got the complete Seinfeld for Christmas last year, I find it basically as formulaic as every other conventional sitcom (JERRY AND GEORGE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ETIQUETTE WORKS THE WAY IT DOES, KRAMER IS WACKY AND ELAINE IS FEMALE) but it does make me laugh when it's on form.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Adrianics posted:

I got the complete Seinfeld for Christmas last year, I find it basically as formulaic as every other conventional sitcom (JERRY AND GEORGE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ETIQUETTE WORKS THE WAY IT DOES, KRAMER IS WACKY AND ELAINE IS FEMALE) but it does make me laugh when it's on form.
Yeah but all these guys are saying it wrote the book for that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Graviton v2 posted:

Yeah but all these guys are saying it wrote the book for that.

Well I can't really say, being that I'm hardly an expert on the american sitcom. I would assume though that in order for Seinfeld to be ordered at all there'd have to be some sort of precedent or inspiration for the 'show about nothing' idea, even if Seinfeld popularised it and/or took it further.

The one thing I like about Seinfeld that sets it apart from most of the other sitcoms I've watched (more recent ones notwithstanding, obviously) is the whole deal with 'no hugging, no learning'. The characters are horrible people who will never change despite the swathes of people they turn away with their antics, and hey, I dig that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Meltdown321 posted:

`````
Use the right loving key, you tit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Paperhouse posted:

one of my housemates was gobsmacked when I said old Simpsons was way better than Family Guy. He said Simpsons was poo poo and for kids and then went around asking everyone which they preferred

Put on Last Exit to Springfield and Cape Feare.

Then smack those bitches up.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

reality_groove posted:

Dappy from N Dubz is doing the Alt. Xmas Speech this year.

What do Channel 4 have with that obnoxious twat.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2013

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

What do Channel 4 have with that obnoxious oval office.

The whole media is in love with him and his lovely band, it's utterly bizarre. He had a feature in the Observer last week, the BBC seem to love him, now channel 4 have joined the pack as well. I really, really don't get it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Paperhouse posted:

I hate humanity. So much.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

The whole media is in love with him and his lovely band, it's utterly bizarre. He had a feature in the Observer last week, the BBC seem to love him, now channel 4 have joined the pack as well. I really, really don't get it.

I thought the media was mostly ironically supported them, in a "haha they don't realise we're taking the piss out of them!" sort of way.

Maybe the joke's actually on me for thinking that :(

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

nationalista posted:

I thought the media was mostly ironically supported them, in a "haha they don't realise we're taking the piss out of them!" sort of way.

Yeah, and it's really really funny (skip to 1:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuEqimyizd0

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yeah Dappy's appearances on Buzzcocks were amusing and everything but then it turned out he's an utter oval office as well as a loving coward because he copied a woman's phone number during a radio one appearance in order to send her text messages saying he was going to kill her.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Was gonna mention that, seems really weird that was forgotten so quickly considering how hysterical the tabloids were getting about "broken Britain" at the time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Seinfeld is great you idiots.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What do you call a girl with two cunts?

N dubz.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Adrianics posted:

Yeah Dappy's appearances on Buzzcocks were amusing and everything but then it turned out he's an utter oval office as well as a loving coward because he copied a woman's phone number during a radio one appearance in order to send her text messages saying he was going to kill her.
Isn't this the oval office that Charlie Brooker showed us in the last Screenwipe/Newswipe that supported a campaign against Bullying and then was caught sending the exact same text messages of promised violence to somebody a few hours later?

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SeanBeansShako posted:

Isn't this the oval office that Charlie Brooker showed us in the last Screenwipe/Newswipe that supported a campaign against Bullying and then was caught sending the exact same text messages of promised violence to somebody a few hours later?

Yes, also dumped by his pregnant girlfriend because he cheated on her

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yes, that is the oval office in question.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

My only exposure to things like Ndubz or Jedward is when they show up on panel shows like Buzzcocks. All I keep thinking when I see them is that they weren't beaten by their parents or bullied at school enough when they were younger.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

loving hell, I return from the pub to find this thread with 84 new posts?! I think all you people who seem to absolutely detest pretty acclaimed shows should maybe back up your opinions with some kind of argument, else you're pretty much the kids who will just dismiss a book as 'boring' and feel that is sufficient.

For my part, I feel that what a lot of the Seinfeld haters have failed to recognise is the way in which it differs from the vastly inferior shows its format has spawned. There's a deep underlying core of cynicism in the show that I think a lot of English viewers would enjoy if they gave it half a chance (rather than dismiss it because it looks like Friends, and the music is loving awful). The characters are greedy, selfish, lazy and want to do little else but get laid, but they're still friends and enjoy hanging out with each other, and that chemistry is what really makes the show work. The same situation pretty much exists in any Graham Linehan comedy - albeit with more wackiness - so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

I'd try to write about why I think Curb's great, but it's half two in the morning, so gently caress.

yes because entertainment of purely subjective value requires you to back up any possible dislike.

I'll give you a report anyway:-

Ok i'm now watching seinfeld

It's poo poo and you're a prick

Now how about you provide an arguement about how Seinfeld is good? Or rather don't because the counter arguement is always going to be 'shut the gently caress up you seinfeld liking twat'

Tardstar fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 24, 2010

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob

Akuma posted:

Use the right loving key, you tit.

I am, it`s making that shape there. ^
Thanks for being so polite about it though. Good health to you and yours.

Anyway, Seinfeld. Again. To say that you think someone has failed to recognise something means that you`re positive that you`re the right one. I think you`ve failed to recognise that Seinfeld is lacking in humour and is a series of predictable one-liner setups and badly written "sarcasm".
I think that without Seinfeld, people like Graham Linehan, Rowan Atkinson, Peter Kay, whoever you like would have managed somehow. I say this because i laugh at most their stuff and i tend to scowl at Seinfeld.

Anyway, once again, i`ll mention Cheers. All the jokes, pre-Seinfeld, better.

Meltdown321 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 24, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Blackadder owes a lot to Seinfeld. Without Seinfeld we would have never had the glorious satire of the scene where Baldrick reveals his poetry based on the booming of the guns.

Then again we would have been spared Tony Robinson running around a stately garden during Time Team Live pointing at Mick the Dig and shouting "he's a friend of the family !"

Shame about that really, who'd have thought he had it in him. He hasn't worked since. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 24, 2010

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob
Time team would have been funnier if only lessons had been learned. As it is, i felt that Tony was a little too dry at times and John Gater did a terrible version of Wurzel.

Edited because i don`t think i made it clear: It needed more Seinfeld.

Meltdown321 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 24, 2010

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Without the pioneering work of Seinfeld John Cleese would have never had the courage to write Fawlty Towers.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Frank Spencer owes his fictional existence to the genius of characterisation that is Cosmo Kramer.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Tardstar posted:

yes because entertainment of purely subjective value requires you to back up any possible dislike.

I'll give you a report anyway:-

Ok i'm now watching seinfeld

It's poo poo and you're a prick

Now how about you provide an arguement about how Seinfeld is good? Or rather don't because the counter arguement is always going to be 'shut the gently caress up you seinfeld liking twat'

Christ, that's a lot of rage right there.

Yes, obviously enjoyment of anything is subjective, but that still doesn't mean you can't elaborate on what exactly it is that you find so repulsive about it - and the show really does seem to raise your heckles a great deal.

And I did provide an argument as to why Seinfeld is good. It was in the post to which you so furiously replied.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
You guys are really terrible posters and I don't even know what you are trying to argue anymore, if anything, but I'm gonna respond anyway.

If you don't like Seinfeld: whatever, people have different tastes. But to claim it is objectively "poo poo" puts you in a pretty small minority.

If you think Seinfeld is formulaic: this is pretty hard to argue because the characters and almost every storyline on the show were original. I really don't see much similiarity between Cheers and Seinfeld at all. Cheers (and most American sitcoms) was about basically decent people and the dynamics of their relationships, usually ending with some feel-good message where lessons are learned. Seinfeld was about horrible people with no redeeming qualities screwing a bunch of people over. None of them ever learns a lesson or forms a relationship that doesn't end in hatred or death.

If you think Seinfeld was not influential: I guess it's pretty hard to demonstrate what influenced what, but Seinfeld was very popular amongst critics and comedians and ran for a really long time. If you don't think it was influential at all then that also puts you in a pretty small minority.

And obviously there was good comedy before Seinfeld.

Meltdown321 posted:

I am, it`s making that shape there. ^

Use the key two keys over from the L key, not the key above the tab key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The gravity of The Young Ones hopeless but chaotic student life was inspired by Seinfeld.