Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Well gently caress me, this has thrown a spanner in the works.

I've already built a system specifically for Vail including those 4k drives from WD (2Tb EARS), and now I literally have no reason to wait for Vail to come out.

What do I do now? AFAIK, WHS1 doesn't like 4k drives. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

modeski posted:

Well gently caress me, this has thrown a spanner in the works.

I've already built a system specifically for Vail including those 4k drives from WD (2Tb EARS), and now I literally have no reason to wait for Vail to come out.

What do I do now? AFAIK, WHS1 doesn't like 4k drives. Any recommendations?

Set the jumpers then install V1

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

The SBS Blog provides a huge clue:

It's about positioning these products as OEM solutions. Buy a new server to get the new features, let the OEM's differentiate themselves and be able to set higher prices for what is otherwise standard hardware. Vail probably got hit because businesses might have used it instead of Aurora if the feature was still there.

So basically if you want to build your own Vail server, you're hosed and would have to buy a manufacturer's server (i.e. Acer, HP) and rely on them to develop some sort of RAID? Are there really that many people who do that? Or how many people actually use a hardware RAID solution with WHS v1? My guess is there's either an overwhelming number of WHS v1 users who have complained to Microsoft about their hardware RAID not working properly, or Microsoft tried to develop a new Drive Extender for Vail and gave up because they realized their new lovely filesystem won't allow them to do so.

It sounds more like Microsoft is throwing in the towel and saying "Well, we have to ship Vail by this date and we don't have enough time to get DE working, let's just gently caress the home users and tell OEMs they have to solve this for us." That, or the OEMs went to Microsoft and asked them to take out DE so they can make more money supplying customers with their RAID solutions.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 24, 2010

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What options do we have now that this won't be working with Vail.

Stick with WHS1? I am pretty sure they'll cut off support for it asap and thus it will be open to exploits or whatever.

Go to Unix? I deal with servers all day long at work so I like coming home to something super simple like Windows.

Just go with Windows 2008 and let go of the drive extender? Ugh.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

What options do we have now that this won't be working with Vail.

Stick with WHS1? I am pretty sure they'll cut off support for it asap and thus it will be open to exploits or whatever.

Go to Unix? I deal with servers all day long at work so I like coming home to something super simple like Windows.

Just go with Windows 2008 and let go of the drive extender? Ugh.

V1 is 2003 server so no, it will have updates for quite a long time. I am sticking with v1 myself.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

kri kri posted:

Set the jumpers then install V1

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With v1, do I need a separate OS drive? I can just chuck a spare 250Gb one in there.

Ironically, I had this machine built for me by my local computer shop because I'm far too busy and important lazy to build my own machines anymore, so I'll void the warranty by opening it up. Oh well.

On the up side, it means I can order WHS and have it in a couple of days instead of sitting about for six months or more twiddling my thumbs.

modeski fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 24, 2010

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

modeski posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With v1, do I need a separate OS drive? I can just chuck a spare 250Gb one in there.

Ironically, I had this machine built for me by my local computer shop because I'm far too busy and important lazy to build my own machines anymore, so I'll void the warranty by opening it up. Oh well.

Nah V1 does not use a seperate OS drive. A 250 will work fine for the boot drive, 20GB will be partitioned as system and the rest will be the storage pool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't really looked into it, but doesn't Windows have it's own software RAID?

I wouldn't be surprised if you can recreate some of the features of DE with that. It won't be a complete replacement, of course.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't really looked into it, but doesn't Windows have it's own software RAID?

I wouldn't be surprised if you can recreate some of the features of DE with that. It won't be a complete replacement, of course.

If software raid you mean Dynamic Disks from Disk Management-- then don't do this. I was lazy and merged two partitions on a drive instead of reformatting, and it was a nightmare to recover data from it unless I put the drive back in the system it originally came from when I did the dynamic disk setup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jeeves posted:

If software raid you mean Dynamic Disks from Disk Management-- then don't do this. I was lazy and merged two partitions on a drive instead of reformatting, and it was a nightmare to recover data from it unless I put the drive back in the system it originally came from when I did the dynamic disk setup.

Well, that's not really the fault of dynamic disks (if that's what Windows calls it's software RAID). That's the fault of the user not knowing what he was doing. :D

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Thermopyle posted:

Well, that's not really the fault of dynamic disks (if that's what Windows calls it's software RAID). That's the fault of the user not knowing what he was doing. :D

Pretty much, but I know more than most but holy gently caress was it annoying as poo poo to try to get data off of. If it was annoying for me then it would be a nightmare to most.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WinSuperSite has an update on why they removed the feature:

quote:

In a briefing last month, I was told that Microsoft and its partners discovered problems with Drive Extender once they began typical server loads (i.e. server applications) on the system. This came about because Drive Extender was being moved from a simple system, WHS, to a more complex, server-like OS )(SBS "Aurora") that would in fact be used to run true server applications. And these applications were causing problems.

"Drive Extender was a neat feature, but the implementation was off, and we discovered some application compatibility and disk tool problems related to its ability to correct data errors on the fly," Microsoft general manager Kevin Kean told me. "We don't want to give customers problems; we want to give them solutions. So ultimately, we decided that we needed to cut out Drive Extender. Removing Drive Extender will make file shares easy, and it's possible to accomplish most of its features otherwise. For example, you use the server's centralized backup or even RAID as an alternative to data duplication."

Basically, the plan was to include Drive Extender with some of Microsoft's new entry-level business server offerings, but performance wasn't up to par with some of the customer's enterprise apps. So they decided to yank the technology out of ALL their OSes instead, instead of just relegating it to consumer status.

What a crock.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

kri kri posted:

Use X-files, pretty sure its in the OP.
It is, and I had no idea that was the purpose of the site (though it now makes sense). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm now curious if I should bother with the current Vail Beta or WHS V1 - PP3. It seems like the Vail Beta was mostly stable for the lot of people testing most of its features as an everyday no-frills home server.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Now I'm wondering about using some iSCSI backend to get easy replication and pooling. I assume Vail still has iSCSI initiator support?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone still wants to buy a WHS while DE still exists, Newegg has a bunch on sale for Black Friday and really cheap prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859321014&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105562&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105562&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105563&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105563&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105777&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105777&nm_mc=BFUS

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Jeratain posted:

I'm now curious if I should bother with the current Vail Beta or WHS V1 - PP3. It seems like the Vail Beta was mostly stable for the lot of people testing most of its features as an everyday no-frills home server.

I've been using it since August with no problems at all. It hasn't crashed/broke once yet. It backs up five computers around the house, has utorrent running, a minecraft server, and it streams media to two Xboxes. I've found it very stable and will use it for as long as Microsoft allows it to grab updates.

Hopefully they'll change their mind with all this backlash and add DE back in to the final build of Vail. Right? :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I like how they say it was "neat feature" when it is pretty much the entire reason that most people used WHS.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just saw a couple articles on this.

http://www.liveside.net/2010/11/24/the-vail-debacle-why-microsoft-still-doesnt-get-the-consumer/

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/11/has-microsoft-just-ruined-windows-home-server.ars

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am a little confused about this changed. I have a WHS v1 now, and the main reason I bought it was that it would:

1) allow me to upgrade my storage on the fly. replacing a smaller drive with a larger one and expanding the total storage. I think this is going away in v2.

2) provide redundancy for my files. I never ran apps off my server, just used it to store my pictures/videos, and documents. I think this is going to be available in v2 but changed?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

All of the HPs are long gone.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

EC posted:

Drive extender is being cut from Vail?! I'm at a loss as to what this product is turning into.

http://www.mswhs.com/2010/11/drive-extender-cut-from-home-server/

So does this leave Amahi as the only Home Server offering that does this?

Really is a bizarre stance for MS to take, and effectively kills off WHS. If anyone is after a Home Server OS look at Amahi, I used it for a year and it ran completely effortlessly the whole time, it needed no personal intervention it just ran, apart from the odd reboot every few months for kernel updates.

I stopped using Amahi when the motherboard in the server decided to die and switched to Server 2008 R2 when I got the machine back up and running, as wanted to try it and got given a license key. So far though Amahi does offer a lot more, and does it for free, but going to keep 2008 for the time being as I just use the HS as a file store and media server. Well I will keep it until it starts asking me to reboot every other week, as I expect a MS product to do.

Only issue I had with Amahi is that to get all the features (i.e. the web features especially) you have to set it as your DNS server, which can be a pain at times. Getting the data off it after the motherboard failure was straight forward as well, once I figured out the correct order of the drives :) (Didn't write down the order, which turns out you should do just in case complete system failure like I had).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does Server 2008 have something like drive extender? I doubt it, seeing how you'd probably just have to go full raid.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So I looked into Amahi a little bit.

It uses greyhole to offer storage pooling that is pretty much just like Drive Extender with a few extra features.

It seriously works nearly identically to DE, except on Linux. In addition to copying files around in the background, it balances free space amongst drives, and you can set shares to be duplicated to as many hard drives as you desire. This page offers a comparison to DE and a guide to migrating from WHS to Amahi/greypool.

All that being said, I still think I'm moving on to RAID5+LVM as I'm ready for a more powerful solution.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

So I looked into Amahi a little bit.

How easy would this be for someone who has spent their entire life as a DOS/Windows person? I won't be migrating as I have a virgin server waiting to be set up, and I'm very close to ordering WHS.

modeski fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 27, 2010

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

modeski posted:

How easy would this be for someone who has spent their entire life as a DOS/Windows person? I won't be migrating as I have a virgin server waiting to be set up, and I'm very close to ordering WHS.

I haven't used it, but from perusing their wiki it looks really simple. I'd recommend you look around the Amahi wiki and see what you think.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Greyhole looks nice, wish I could run it with Ubuntu and not Fedora though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

Greyhole looks nice, wish I could run it with Ubuntu and not Fedora though

Greyhole should work on Ubuntu.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/11/26/ballmer-set-windows-home-server-drive-extender-fiasco/

Maybe there's hope?

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!
How-To Geek has a good article about alternatives to drive extender as well, if you are looking for other options. Most have been discussed here before, but I thought it was a good comparison of each.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36458/9-alternatives-for-windows-home-servers-drive-extender/

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

valinhorn posted:

How-To Geek has a good article about alternatives to drive extender as well, if you are looking for other options. Most have been discussed here before, but I thought it was a good comparison of each.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36458/9-alternatives-for-windows-home-servers-drive-extender/

Thanks, valinhorn.

This is terribly un-geeky of me, and the 20-year-old inside me is screaming at me not be such an old man (and I do wish she'd shut up :rimshot:), but I think I might just take the easy option and go for WHS1.

Years ago I'd happily have spent days tinkering around, but I just want something easy and quick that I'll better know how to fix if it fucks up.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

modeski posted:

Thanks, valinhorn.

This is terribly un-geeky of me, and the 20-year-old inside me is screaming at me not be such an old man (and I do wish she'd shut up :rimshot:), but I think I might just take the easy option and go for WHS1.

Years ago I'd happily have spent days tinkering around, but I just want something easy and quick that I'll better know how to fix if it fucks up.

I'm in the same boat as you. I know there are a ton of solutions I could use that would require maximum geeking out, but I really just want something that works and is reliable, especially since it's holding all of my data.

Probably sticking with WHS1 :(

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone here have a HP MediaSmart EX490? I'm curious about it, as the Acer media server isn't really my jams for how it looks, and the only place I'll have for a server is right on the side of my desk so I'd have to stare at it out of the corner of my eye so I don't mind spending an extra hundred for a snappy case.

I'm curious about how loud it is (seeing how it will be in my desk which is in my bedroom), and its setup for WHS. HP seems to be one of the better OEM blends for WHS, but I am weary of all of the dumb plug ins it comes pre-installed with, especially since reinstalling WHS myself from a fresh start is most likely a chore on these machines without even a video output. Can I uninstall most of HP's WHS plug ins that they pre-install?

I've gotten really spoiled by my own custom install of Win2003 I did on my trusty ASUS EEE Box I've had running for 2 years now, as it is almost completely silent and running just a rock solid bare bones Win2003 setup. But I've maxed out it's one hard drive bay and I would honestly much rather just buy a whole new home server in a single box than deal with the ASUS+a NAS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'd have to check, but I think that's the model my father in law has. It's fairly quiet, and if you can RDC into the thing you can remove anything you want to (I find that way easier than trying to uninstall poo poo through the console). I like the box, and kind of wish I had spent the money on one instead of rolling my own (giant, noisy) box.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Not a good sign - Microsoft Press has canceled the Vail-based Windows Home Server Inside Out Book. It could mean that Ballmer put the brakes on things and may force them to change, but it's still not a good sign.

The Drobo people are gloating, especially since they signed an agreement with HP a few weeks ago for some small business stuff.

Ballmer can't be too happy. Last time there was some HP business lost, he flipped out, and the DE fiasco could give HP/Drobo an advantage in sales of non-Microsoft goods.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
What's the easiest way to install WHSv1 and get your SATA-drives to use AHCI? Right now the installer won't detect any drives if I set them to AHCI. Do I have to use a floppy, or is there a way to inject drivers onto the cd?

Intel-chipped mobo...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scuttle_SE posted:

What's the easiest way to install WHSv1 and get your SATA-drives to use AHCI? Right now the installer won't detect any drives if I set them to AHCI. Do I have to use a floppy, or is there a way to inject drivers onto the cd?

Intel-chipped mobo...

I used Nlite and added the Intel RST drivers to the i386 folder of the WHS DVD. Worked great. You can also spend 15 bux and get a aftermarket SATA controller, use it to boot with and then flip the BIOS to ACHI and load the drivers as normal.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

redeyes posted:

I used Nlite and added the Intel RST drivers to the i386 folder of the WHS DVD. Worked great. You can also spend 15 bux and get a aftermarket SATA controller, use it to boot with and then flip the BIOS to ACHI and load the drivers as normal.

Alright, sounds easy enough... After writing that I came up with two more questions...

The first version o WHS used one disk as a "landing zone", meaning you had to periodically wait for the drives to balance themselves. Is that still the case? Or would I be better of using a smaller, faster disk for the system-drive?

I have today a bunch of 2TB-drives connected to a 2008-server. Some of them are WD-drives and I assume they use the new 4k sectors... will I have to reformat these drives if I connect them to WHS, or can I pull the information from them?

I was thinking of connecting maybe one or two empty drives, add those to the pool, connect a few of my full drives. Empty the full drives into the pool, then add those disk to the pool. Repeat until no more disks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Scuttle_SE posted:

Alright, sounds easy enough... After writing that I came up with two more questions...

The first version o WHS used one disk as a "landing zone", meaning you had to periodically wait for the drives to balance themselves. Is that still the case? Or would I be better of using a smaller, faster disk for the system-drive?

I have today a bunch of 2TB-drives connected to a 2008-server. Some of them are WD-drives and I assume they use the new 4k sectors... will I have to reformat these drives if I connect them to WHS, or can I pull the information from them?

I was thinking of connecting maybe one or two empty drives, add those to the pool, connect a few of my full drives. Empty the full drives into the pool, then add those disk to the pool. Repeat until no more disks.

The landing zone thing went away with PP2 or PP3 I forget, point is WHS copies files directly to the drive it wants to now.

The new WD 2TB drives could very well be advanced format 4k drives. You will have to install the jumper to fool the OS into aligning the partition before adding them to the storage pool.

Your plan sounds fine though, that is the way I generally rebuild my WHS when I need to.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Scuttle_SE posted:

IMO, you don't really need to worry about the system drive speed/size...

You will be able to plug those new WD drives to WDS to pull the data off the drives, but you will need to set the jumpers to format correctly before adding them into the storage pool itself.

The migration plan will work exactly how you described it and will be fairly painless really.

As far as the whole DE fiasco, it really leaves me up in the air too. I plan on adding a video card to my box and adding a new 2 TB drive to the pool soon. At that point, I'll have the option to either continue using WHS v1 or more to a 2008 server build or something. I really like the idea of not having to manage disk space myself and having the flexibility of adding drives and sizes as I need to. Moving off of the Windows 2003 code would be great, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

qutius posted:

Moving off of the Windows 2003 code would be great, tho.

I've been feeling the upgrade itch, but haven't been able to justify it, especially now that DE looks to be gone in WHSv2. What would be the advantages of moving off of 2003 code, out of curiosity? Right now it does everything I need it to, and fairly silently as well.

• Locked thread