Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really don't see Rey as the 'plot vengeance' kind of guy. I think he'll just be crushed by monumental despair.

Poor dude just wanted his one chance to be someone's father figure. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Sarinnanashi posted:

Tell me if I am remembering this wrong, but near the beginning of the whole comic somewhere in the first chapter, didn't Antimony tell the audience it would be another two years before she saw her father again? How long has she been at the court at this point?

This is the summer break of her second year at the Court, so there's still one more year to go before he shows up. She made the comment in her first summer break, when she was staying at the Court while Kat went on vacation, I think.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
It was also stated that it would be "more than" two years, so there's no telling when precisely he'll show up.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
JEEZ, Annie. :(

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Whoa Rey getting owned. His heart torn to shreds.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Annie, you're being kind of a bitch :mad:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

She would make one serious (robot) villain. :sbahj:

I'm not even going to try and speculate about this turn of events.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Why isn't it friday already i must know what happens next why can't I force myself to wait till at least a full chapter is finished.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
The lesson here: don't badmouth Anthony Carver.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And that's why you don't casually talk poo poo about Annie's family.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, that is glorious. The official forums are driving me nuts. They're all "But he didn't deserve that! :ohdear:"

He's a monster that tried to kill her and he thinks of Surma as his. He's an rear end in a top hat and seeing Annie getting genuinely pissed off and vengeful is glorious. It's good to see that, despite her odd emotional blocks in some spots, she's still normal. She got her buttons seriously pushed, and he essentially called her father a worthless dick.

Yeah, this is amazing and I hope it continues well into next week. I am not a Renard fan, so seeing him getting a gut punch like this is cool. Lovin' where this chapter is going. This is the 'Annie has flaws like normal people' chapter. She's gotta cheat on her work, and her fury button is her father.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay, panel five really is something special.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Probably should have just let her copy the homework.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I still maintain that this was justified. Renard, despite being on the protagonist's team, was being an rear end to no end. You have a young girl whose mother died and whose father she hasn't seen for a solid year being told that her parents' relationship was a sham and that her only known surviving family member can't possibly love her (since Renard did say Anthony can only feel disdain, after all) and her dead mother was, in a sense, "his." I can't possibly feel much sympathy for him right now.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I can feel a little bit of sympathy for him, mainly because the only reason he thought that Surma was 'his' was because she was loving with his emotions in order to help the court maintain the upper hand.

Yes, he's massively out of line and getting bitch slapped is what he deserves, but it's not like Surma didn't do her fair share of the work causing the entire clusterfuck.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I think Annie's outburst is an insightful thing to include, and a clue to how much anger and misery she may be bottling up. No one, child or adult, goes through the death of a loving parent unscarred, and up until this point Annie has appeared shockingly well-adjusted despite the death of her mother, seeming abandonment of her father, and life-changing move to a new school. As far as the audience knows Annie has never met anyone who has experienced something similar, who would fully understand what she's going through.

My wild speculation: Jones will be revealed to be an orphan as well, and will either become her confidante for the issues Annie can't even talk to Kat about, or be the example to Annie of what she could turn out to be like if she keeps bottling up her emotions.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

She could become a super heavy badass with the ability to punch through walls? Orphan power, activate!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hang on Sloopy posted:

I think Annie's outburst is an insightful thing to include, and a clue to how much anger and misery she may be bottling up. No one, child or adult, goes through the death of a loving parent unscarred, and up until this point Annie has appeared shockingly well-adjusted despite the death of her mother, seeming abandonment of her father, and life-changing move to a new school. As far as the audience knows Annie has never met anyone who has experienced something similar, who would fully understand what she's going through.

My wild speculation: Jones will be revealed to be an orphan as well, and will either become her confidante for the issues Annie can't even talk to Kat about, or be the example to Annie of what she could turn out to be like if she keeps bottling up her emotions.

Jones does not have hu-mon parents, duh. Of course she's an orphan.

Unless you're counting the Jewish guys with the muddy hands as her parents.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I think this is definitely justified, for sure, but I still think Annie's being a little bit cruel by not letting him crawl to the corner and think for a while. He's still under her control, it's not like he can leave.

I just hope she doesn't drive the stake in deeper, jesus. Justified or not, this doesn't need to get any messier :ohdear:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hang on Sloopy posted:

My wild speculation: Jones will be revealed to be an orphan as well,

Jones is Annie's father :roboluv:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I may be reaching, but I'm feeling some echoes of this strip:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=432

"The woman could never love someone like that!"
"NO, that's so mean!"
"But it's true!"

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody wins when poo poo like this happens. I hope Annie realizes she's trading any trust Renard had with her for control of him, which isn't the same thing at all.

I'm looking forward to more, but this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Also, conflating what you think is true to what actually is true isn't very reliable. I doubt what actually happened back then is really recorded anywhere.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 24, 2010

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Annie looks like she's enjoying this a little too much.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I don't really think Renard is out of line here much. When people like you and your mom and you have an absentee father, people are going to hate him. It doesn't matter that people loved Surma as well. Just looking at it from a completely generic angle, people hate absentee fathers. They'll complain about them in front of everyone. Sometimes to blow off steam, sometimes because they feel like it will help the kid deal with this if they know how thoroughly a piece of poo poo absentee dad is. It's pretty much just human that basically everyone hates her dad, especially someone who has as deep a relationship with her and her mom as Renard.

I hope this doesn't ruin their friendship :ohdear:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Yeah, now both of them are in the wrong.

I hope this ends up with both of them being stuck there together over the summer.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009

Spikey posted:

Annie looks like she's enjoying this a little too much.

Also, with all the expression-changes once she's alone people were quoting a few pages back, this looks like the only time she's been genuinely enjoying herself in a while.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

Hang on Sloopy posted:

It turns out that Jones was only acting all wooden because her parents died in a water-skiing accident the week before she was introduced to the story, and she wants to make sure that no one sees it get to her.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I hope this means Renard is going to lash out and at least try to destroy half of the Court in a blaze of glory before he is slain by Eaglemore.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
I realize that Reynard has been a douche and a half in the past, but drat it, I feel awful for him now. :ohdear:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Annie is going to regret making hims stay the same helpless, more immature shape; thats going from being cruel to outright tormenting. He has just had a heartbreaking revelation, and is now truly making him powerless. It's straight up abuse.

Theres doing something in anger, and (deservedly) getting back at him for insulting her father and him being a dick in general, but thats taking it too far.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fecha posted:

JEEZ, Annie. :(

I said this before I even read the text below the strip...

Taeshi
Sep 15, 2009

Man, I didn't Annie would be capable of being so cruel! I feel so terrible for Renard, especially how she's basically straight up forcing him to remain.

The tragic thing is he really can't freaken do anything! People say he'll destroy the court and whatever, but as if. She could just order him to stay in a box and he'd obey. He really is helpless. It's horrible!

Admittedly my first thought before "God Annie you BITCH" was that she's looking more and more like her mother, she looks particularly.. Surmaish in this page. Not with the gentle eyes and relatively blank expression anymore, unlike Surma's explosive behaviour.

Renaaardddd ;___;

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
See, it's easier to take Renard's side because we don't know what kind of relationship Annie had with her father and exactly what it does to her when she hears other people badmouthing him.

We KNOW how much Annie is DESTROYING Renard because we know what he felt for Surma. But what does Annie have with her father? He abandoned her, and he's quite possibly the reason why she's so emotionally stunted. Until we know exactly why she's so quick to defend him, it's hard to take her side.

This would all be so much easier to discuss if it was a book we could read from beginning to end. loving Webcomics.

Taeshi
Sep 15, 2009

Oh, of course I assume that there's more to Anthony than just being an "abandoning jerkwad", but it's still horrible to "torture" Renard, he was ready to drop it and go sulk, but she's not letting him go that easy.

I still think Renard calling Surma "my Surma" in front of Annie was a dick move. It made me want Annie to tell him the truth, but not really take it to this level :(

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ironic Twist posted:

Until we know exactly why she's so quick to defend him, it's hard to take her side.

It's hard to take her side because she is honestly kind of a terrible person. She cares very little about anyone else besides Kat, and even then has been abusing Kat's trust in her by copying her homework for quite a while now. When she previously thought she was "wronged" in some way when Mort gave her the blinker stone she completely flipped her poo poo and accused him of a bunch of horrible stuff, and then pretty much let him know that she thinks he is essentially sub-human. When Jack showed affection for her she quite literally gave him the cold shoulder, completely and utterly unconcerned about anything he feels, and when Renard expressed his dissatisfaction in her academic dishonesty - granted going after her dad was a total passive-aggressive douche of a move - she decides that he needs to "learn his place" and humiliate him by exerting and reveling in the very crippling power she has over him.

Bottom line, she has some serious emotional and social issues and were she a real person I would not want anything to do with someone who has such an abusive personality.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I probably wouldn't side with Annie so much except she very clearly telegraphed "don't insult my dad in front of me" when she said "They loved each other!" and then "He-he dedicated his life to curing my mother's illness." Those were two VERY clear "shut up right this instant" chances to get out unscathed. Far as I see it, Renard got smacked on this third strike out.

It's also a bit personal for me, too. My dad makes a horrible impression on most people socially, and a lot of my friends don't like him, but he's a super great guy. If someone said these kinds of things about him, I'd probably flip my lid. I wouldn't enjoy it, though.

(And all this aside, Renard's lamenting what led to Annie being born. Just tasteless, tasteless, tasteless.)

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 24, 2010

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Pick posted:

I probably wouldn't side with Annie so much except she very clearly telegraphed "don't insult my dad in front of me" when she said "They loved each other!" and then "He-he dedicated his life to curing my mother's illness." Those were two VERY clear "shut up right this instant" chances to get out unscathed. Far as I see it, Renard got smacked on this third strike out.

If she had left it alone after the second panel of this latest comic, I'd probably agree with you. Using her possession of him to force him to say it and remain in his animated doll form instead of allowing him to retreat is simply being cruel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, at this point she's obviously being vindictive, I just don't think it's that outrageous of a response. Cruelty is always wrong, but it's not beyond my comprehension in this case.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

An (effectively) orphaned tween having abandonment issues and lashing out? This definitely means she's a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well we all know that people are either good people or terrible people! There of course are no shades of grey, or temporary moments of rash behavior that could possibly be regretted later. Annie is being an emotional teenager, you can't really sit here and judge this logically with days to think about her actions (which have only occurred over a couple of minutes) and go 'how cruel she is terrible!'.