Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I like how they represented the size of EVE universe by the size of one (big) ship it contains. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I have about £4.79 on the UK PSN, any recommendations?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I haven't played it but I'd guess that the Lord of the Rings world size comes from the books and other apocrypha which might not be entirely represented ingame.

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.
Didn't want to make a thread to ask one simple question so I think this is as good a place as any.

Does anyone happen to know if the Rage of Mages games are capable of working on Windows 7?

Also I'm open to some more suggestions of games like Rage of Mages as well, as dinky as that game was I loved it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

So i've been on a megaman kick lately, what are some similar games to that series? mainly the "get different powers, non linear gameplay with great action/music" style megaman is known for. would prefer somethin from the 16 bit era, but GB/GBA is good too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

So i've been on a megaman kick lately, what are some similar games to that series? mainly the "get different powers, non linear gameplay with great action/music" style megaman is known for. would prefer somethin from the 16 bit era, but GB/GBA is good too.

Played Demon's Crest for the SNES? It's also by Capcom, and it's basically a moody, gothic Megaman with beautiful music. It's a great game, and got solid reviews for its time, but apparently it was one of Capcoms biggest commercial flops. Somehow, against all reason, more copies were returned than were sold.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 18, 2010

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of world size, I saw some chart the other day that said WoW's game world was tiny compared to some titles like the LoTR MMO and old-school Daggerfall. I can understand Daggerfall, as I believe it was all procedurally generated, and stuff like Fuel, which you drive though, but what about the LoTR game? Is that just endless, endless tracts of nothingness you have to traverse?

As cool as WoW's world is, even then world traversal gets pretty boring after you've played it for any length of time. I can't even imagine what the LoTR MMO is like.

Something seems really really off about those game world comparisons. I haven't played all of the shown games but it looks as if they're all at differing scales since the streets in the Burnout Paradise map look wider than the city blocks in GTA3. I mean I still bet it's bigger than both GTA maps but it just seems... off some how. Especially when the Imperial City of Cyrodiil looks like it's half an Island from Liberty City.

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

Here are some others to build on Dominic White's recommendation:

Don't know if you'd count it since it's an NES game but Darkwing Duck on the NES incredibly similar to Megamn but with the ability to grapple and duck. It's also by Capcom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2X6ONeTqik

There's also X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse where similar to Megaman you have to select your stage (but you're locked to the character for that stage). Then have a series of linear stages where you select a character and then again it opens up to picking stages again, though it's a beat'em up/platformer. I also think the music is pretty 'Megaman-ish'. Again by Capcom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKDe3FQND8

Edit:

Oh a big one I forgot, Vectorman for the Genesis, though level progression is linear they're large enough that your movement through each stage has multiple solutions. I don't recommend the second though which makes the stages more maze like rather than free-form like the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY0CjXG--S8

Arctic fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 18, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arctic posted:

Something seems really really off about those game world comparisons. I haven't played all of the shown games but it looks as if they're all at differing scales since the streets in the Burnout Paradise map look wider than the city blocks in GTA3. I mean I still bet it's bigger than both GTA maps but it just seems... off some how. Especially when the Imperial City of Cyrodiil looks like it's half an Island from Liberty City.

A static map obviously doesn't translate well when scaled to size but the numbers are based on the statistics developers give.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not to mention that with smaller game worlds like GTA3, a city block is far smaller than games with bigger game worlds like Burnout Paradise. They didn't want GTA3 to be 2 or 3 blocks per island, so they put in streets every few buildings, which isn't very realistic.

The one thing that bugs me about that picture is that the Far Cry 2 map they use is actually less than half of the game world. There's a whole other segment just as big as the one shown south to it in the game and a strip of desert between the two.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The one thing that bugs me about that picture is that the Far Cry 2 map they use is actually less than half of the game world. There's a whole other segment just as big as the one shown south to it in the game and a strip of desert between the two.

Heh, I noticed that too, but it's almost realistic in the sense that almost nobody played that game long enough to find out there was an entire new area the south. That game had so much potential but totally squandered it with some bizarre design choices.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Can anyone recommend any good puzzle games?

I want some thing easy to pick up and put down so it won't distract me from studying, but it has to be challenging. Most of the puzzle games I find are targeted at soccer moms and aren't really puzzles but more 'Flashing Lights! Mystic Stones! Dan Brown Da Egyptian King Arthur-Ville! Ooooooh!'. A good example would be something like Cogs, I guess.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Hello, goons. I would like some recommendations for an online co-op shooter for the PC (other genres are ok too, as long as the game isn't terribly complex/doesn't require a big time-investment to learn).

The problem is that my PC is far from being a gaming computer, particularly due to its lovely integrated graphics processor which makes even Half-Life 2 stutter pretty heavily -- so it'd have to be an older game or one with low requirements.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Aardark posted:

Hello, goons. I would like some recommendations for an online co-op shooter for the PC (other genres are ok too, as long as the game isn't terribly complex/doesn't require a big time-investment to learn).

The problem is that my PC is far from being a gaming computer, particularly due to its lovely integrated graphics processor which makes even Half-Life 2 stutter pretty heavily -- so it'd have to be an older game or one with low requirements.
System Shock 2 has coop.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want to be a criminal. Mastermind maybe. I'd like to have some sort of open ended game where I can rob banks, take over cities, kill politicians to gain power, run guns/drugs. RTS, MMO, anything is good.

Actually I wouldn't mind suggestions on games where I can start from the bottom and become a supreme ruler of some sort either.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Aardark posted:

Serious Sam 2 has co-op. Sixteen players worth of it.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking for a transport management game for the PC. Something where you layout bus routes and roadways and such. Already played the Sim City series, I was thinking about Cities XL but I don't want the city building aspect, just the transport.

Maybe a train simulator where you layout rail tracks. Any suggestions?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i3lueHorneT posted:

I'm looking for a transport management game for the PC. Something where you layout bus routes and roadways and such. Already played the Sim City series, I was thinking about Cities XL but I don't want the city building aspect, just the transport.

Maybe a train simulator where you layout rail tracks. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind retro goodness, there's OpenTTD. There's also an occasional goon flare-up of interest, as it's pretty robust as a multiplayer game, and it's a relative snap to set up a server.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

It'll cost you nothing but time to find out if you like it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OpenTTD is what you want. It's pretty fun to sandbox in by yourself as well, multiplayer isn't required to enjoy yourself. It's all about networking various cities and industries together. You can do it by road, train, air, or sea, and there's tons of options available to you. Rail building is fairly robust and people have built some insanely intricate rail networks with it, if that's your thing. The business side isn't exactly Railroad tycoon level of complexity, it's mostly there as a backdrop for your network building, but it's still fun.

Dunno if it's this way in the most recent version of OpenTTD, but in the versions I played, if you wanted to cheese it you could have just built airports in big cities on opposite sides of the map, and ferry passengers across for a huge never-ending profit stream while you played around with other stuff.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I recently got back into contact with two close friends, and we decided we'd like to play some games online together, mostly as something to gather on skype over. I've spent a few days thinking about what, though, and I'm coming up blank.

The girls aren't really into intense or overly competitive gaming, so co-op is a plus, and puzzle-like games ideal. A little depth and persistence wouldn't be bad, but nothing that demands min/max-ing (both reached 60 in pre-BC WoW, and both of them dressed their characters in pretty, rather than powerful, items). None of us can afford to spend a lot on games, so the cheaper the better (around $20 is probably the highest). PC games only, and low system requirements would be a plus as well.

Anyone have some good recommendations? We are all big Popcap fans, if that's any help.

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 23, 2010

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Well, I've finally pooled my money together to build myself a pretty good gaming PC, and I feel that I should use this badboy for some games. Is there any good current PC RPGs on the PC worth checking out?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Thwack! posted:

Well, I've finally pooled my money together to build myself a pretty good gaming PC, and I feel that I should use this badboy for some games. Is there any good current PC RPGs on the PC worth checking out?

Shitloads, undoubtedly.

I'd start with Mass Effect 1 & 2. The gameplay is kind of hit-or-miss, but even being someone who's generally not into shooters (they're basically hybrid 3rd person shooters/RPGs), I found myself totally hooked. Just a really engaging storyline with well-written characters.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
So looking here for stupid hard games. Not I Wanna Be the Guy or Mario romhack stupid. Just really hard, legit games. I love unnecessarily difficult challenge, but not completely unfair (ie. IWBTG, stupid rear end romhacks). Moreso recent games.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

smokyprogg posted:

So looking here for stupid hard games. Not I Wanna Be the Guy or Mario romhack stupid. Just really hard, legit games. I love unnecessarily difficult challenge, but not completely unfair (ie. IWBTG, stupid rear end romhacks). Moreso recent games.

N is an incredibly difficult Flash platformer that doesn't pull any punches. It's just you and a smooth, intuitive control system against hundreds of levels full of things that want to (and will) kill you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

Super Meat Boy. Almost none of it is unfair, but it's still incredibly challenging, and incredibly good. It's on XBLA right now and will be released on Steam in a week.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I want some thing easy to pick up and put down so it won't distract me from studying, but it has to be challenging. Most of the puzzle games I find are targeted at soccer moms and aren't really puzzles but more 'Flashing Lights! Mystic Stones! Dan Brown Da Egyptian King Arthur-Ville! Ooooooh!'. A good example would be something like Cogs, I guess.

Puzzle Dimension and Tidalis are fantastic. Both on Steam, too. Oh, Nimbus, too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thwack! posted:

Fallout: New Vegas is the obvious choice. You should also check out Dragon Age: Origins and maybe Alpha Protocol if you're into the choices and dialogs part of RPGs, but it's not recommended if you can't overlook some gameplay issues.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Super Meat Boy. Almost none of it is unfair, but it's still incredibly challenging, and incredibly good. It's on XBLA right now and will be released on Steam in a week.

Yeah, i've hear nothing but good (albeit frustrated) things about it. I just love a challenging game that's not unfair. Ninja Gaiden 2 gave me so much happy points every time I got past a level. During the level I would kick and scream my way through, but the satisfaction at the end is incredible for me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

smokyprogg posted:

Do you have a PS3? Because if you do, you should race to your nearest video game store, running old people off the road and children off the sidewalk if you have to, and you should buy Demon's Souls.

It could not be closer to what you're looking for. The game, which by the way is modern and has incredible graphics, absolutely will not hold your hand even for a moment. The game is very hard, but very fair. You will likely die a lot, a whole lot, but none of those deaths will be bullshit deaths, and when you die, you'll likely know exactly why you died and how you can avoid it next time.

There's even a handy dandy Demon's Souls thread right here on the forums to help you out when you need it.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

GreatGreen posted:

Do you have a PS3? Because if you do, you should race to your nearest video game store, running old people off the road and children off the sidewalk if you have to, and you should buy Demon's Souls.

It could not be closer to what you're looking for. The game, which by the way is modern and has incredible graphics, absolutely will not hold your hand even for a moment. The game is very hard, but very fair. You will likely die a lot, a whole lot, but none of those deaths will be bullshit deaths, and when you die, you'll likely know exactly why you died and how you can avoid it next time.

There's even a handy dandy Demon's Souls thread right here on the forums to help you out when you need it.
There is also a sequel coming up that will be on xbox360 also.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

smokyprogg posted:

Yeah, i've hear nothing but good (albeit frustrated) things about it. I just love a challenging game that's not unfair. Ninja Gaiden 2 gave me so much happy points every time I got past a level. During the level I would kick and scream my way through, but the satisfaction at the end is incredible for me.

Sounds like Monster Hunter is right up your ally. Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii, or Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP are your best bets.

I have never been so frustrated/happy at the same time. No bullshit, just you, a big gently caress-off monster, and your trusty weapon.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bleusilences posted:

There is also a sequel coming up that will be on xbox360 also.

I just checked and you're right. It's under the working title "Project Dark."

Thank you, you just made my goddamn day.

Acid_Burn
Nov 20, 2008
I currently have a laptop with no mouse and a crappy touch pad, so maybe someone could recommend some games (leaning towards RPG) that only require a keyboard. I've been playing ADOM but it's pretty tough and a little too complicated for me to really get deep into. I like the story aspect of JRPGs but the combat is usually too boring/slow for me to keep playing the game.

I'd like to play a game with better graphics than your standard roguelike, though a good text based thing would be interesting too. Basically something tactical where you can control the pace of the gameplay, with an interesting story/atmosphere. And of course, able to be played with just the keyboard, or at least minimal mouse dependency.

Pretty specific I know, but maybe someone can help me out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you want an easier to get into roguelike with better graphics than ADOM, then you can always try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, it's really solid.

Have you considered just downloading an SNES emulator and playing some old JRPGs?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
It seems like there was recently either a free RPG/free game/indie RPG (or something like that thread) that recommended a shitload of free JRPG style games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh yeah, and try Recettear! (there's a demo) It's a whimsical shop-keeping/dungeon-crawling RPG that will keep you addicted for a while. Pretty sure you can play entirely with a keyboard or gamepad.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Violent J Mascis posted:

Alundra is more of a Zelda clone, a very good one at that, than an RPG.

It's also not very short, but I agree, fantastic game. One of my favourites.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Acid_Burn posted:

I currently have a laptop with no mouse and a crappy touch pad, so maybe someone could recommend some games (leaning towards RPG) that only require a keyboard. I've been playing ADOM but it's pretty tough and a little too complicated for me to really get deep into. I like the story aspect of JRPGs but the combat is usually too boring/slow for me to keep playing the game.

I'd like to play a game with better graphics than your standard roguelike, though a good text based thing would be interesting too. Basically something tactical where you can control the pace of the gameplay, with an interesting story/atmosphere. And of course, able to be played with just the keyboard, or at least minimal mouse dependency.

Pretty specific I know, but maybe someone can help me out.

Try Desktop Dungeons, it's a pretty cool rogue like which isn't as hard as others I've played.

Sidmae
Oct 2, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

If you have a PS3, I really recommend checking out Echochrome and Flower.

Echochrome is about helping a character traverse the landscapes inspired by M.C. Escher paintings by altering the perspective of the player. Depending on your perspective, a staircase may connect to a platform, or abruptly end, causing the character to either fall to his death or turn around.

Flower is an even less traditional puzzle game that is more about the emotional response elicited from a puzzle's completion, rather than the difficulty of the puzzle itself.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I'm looking for an RPG where you preferably can control a group (or at least exert some control over a group) in battle, and not turn-based. Preferably light on the story, and hopefully where you have huge customization options.

Ideally I'm looking for a combination of Icewind Dale II and FFXII (for PC, PS3, or 360) but maybe a little faster paced. Man, I wish I had a better way of describing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

mune posted:

I'm looking for an RPG where you preferably can control a group (or at least exert some control over a group) in battle, and not turn-based. Preferably light on the story, and hopefully where you have huge customization options.

Ideally I'm looking for a combination of Icewind Dale II and FFXII (for PC, PS3, or 360) but maybe a little faster paced. Man, I wish I had a better way of describing it.

I haven't personally played it, but I'm sure someone can vouch for the Wizardry games.