Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SatanX posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH342-U2T2H-Server/dp/B003KTN672/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Seriously. 2TB with 3 empty bays. WHS is really nice. The investment is worth it.

Dang, I've been looking for a good solution to replace all the USB externals hooked up to my HTPC. This may be the ticket here. A bit pricey, but not far off the mark with what looks like a solid solution. All the other NASs I have seen that are 'cheap' (Buffalo....) seem to have a lovely connection which renders them useless. Slow transfer speeds even over 100mbit.

Thanks for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also check out netgear's stuff, I have an older readynas NV and it's really nice. Never had an issue with it in my 3-4 years of using it. Easy upgrading the drives too.

http://www.readynas.com/?cat=97

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

TraderStav posted:

Dang, I've been looking for a good solution to replace all the USB externals hooked up to my HTPC. This may be the ticket here. A bit pricey, but not far off the mark with what looks like a solid solution. All the other NASs I have seen that are 'cheap' (Buffalo....) seem to have a lovely connection which renders them useless. Slow transfer speeds even over 100mbit.

Thanks for the link.

It's pricy, but it has an Atom D510 CPU, meaning it will run Vail (Next ver on WHS, it's based on Server 2008. WHS is based on Server 2003).

Spend the extra bucks...

BTW, I stream Blu-ray ISOs from it without issue. BD-50s.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bonzo posted:

I think I would get one of these if they had a SATA connection.

Why do you need sata connectors? USB shouldn't really be a speed bottleneck on it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newegg has like a few of their WHS systems on sale for the Black Friday sale today.
http://promotions.newegg.com/black-friday/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859321014&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105562&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105562&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105563&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105563&nm_mc=BFUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105777&cm_mmc=BFUS-_-386-_-N82E16859105777&nm_mc=BFUS

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Edit:oops.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2010

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cool, that one is only 299 that was linked above! Do I need to load an OS on these suckers or are they plug in and rock?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Cool, that one is only 299 that was linked above! Do I need to load an OS on these suckers or are they plug in and rock?

They're pretty much just standalone network appliances and you just plug em in and go!

Amazingly useful to have and much better than keeping a fullsize PC on all the time to serve media for the boxee.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

They're pretty much just standalone network appliances and you just plug em in and go!

Amazingly useful to have and much better than keeping a fullsize PC on all the time to serve media for the boxee.

Sweet! Think I found my black Friday purchase! Already have three hds to throw in there as well. Golden.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Sweet! Think I found my black Friday purchase! Already have three hds to throw in there as well. Golden.

Make sure you check the Acer website just to see if they have a compatibility list for hdds, you're probably fine but best to know for sure.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just saw on Slickdeals that you can pick this up for $179.99 shipped after using the coupon code FOODCOMA15. Supposedly it's good until 11/29.

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=DL-DSM380&c=CJ

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

priznat posted:

Make sure you check the Acer website just to see if they have a compatibility list for hdds, you're probably fine but best to know for sure.

Im using all western Dig 2TB green drives with the 64 meg cache (and 4k clusters)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SatanX posted:

Im using all western Dig 2TB green drives with the 64 meg cache (and 4k clusters)

Yeah I think there was some issue with the 4K clusters in the older readynas devices but the new stuff (from all manufacturers) is probably fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ordered the NAS, once I get that up and running I'll replace my main HTPC with another Boxee (this one I just bought is for the bedroom) and be good to go.

Will put up the HTPC in SAMart if anyone is interested at that time. It's a solid machine!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

New update is out, updated mine.... subtitles still on by default, despite checking the new setting to turn them off by default :bang:

oh well :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brock Samson posted:

New update is out, updated mine.... subtitles still on by default, despite checking the new setting to turn them off by default :bang:

My confidence in this team to eventually get this to be a solid product and beyond has just increased significantly. It's Thanksgiving and they pushed this out. Granted I think they're in Israel, but still!

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Brock Samson posted:

Was there a UI setting to turn it off by default? I thought that wasn't due out for another week or two.

edit: the new setting says "enable subtitles by default". Did you check it, because I think they're off by default on the new update.

Next-Gen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 26, 2010

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

:( still buggy. Put on a hd version of fight club and it's got a weird frame rate that has the video looking weird. Keeps freezing up or rebooting. Seems like the samba issue is fixed, but opened up other ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boo! Keeps rebooting for no reason. Reverted back to .9 and will see how that works. From what I'm reading, that version is solid as hell. If it doesn't work for me in the near-term, I'm going to return and rebuy when it all gets worked out. Forget my happy-post from yesterday. :(

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Still defaults to stereo when i play a movie, I have to kick the audio up while playing. They REALLY got some work to do.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Sending mine back. Way too many problems with buffering, files that stream fine from computer to computer pause every few minutes or audio drops out for a few seconds. Not going to wait to see if/when they get every last playback problem fixed, along with this slow and crash prone UI.

Guess I'll go with my first thought and build an xmbc box, had high hopes for the boxee but the problems are just too much to put up with.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I wouldn't return it too quick though. My C-200 was buggy as all hell at first, now it plays anything I throw at it. Give em a few upgrades and it could be a solid box.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

SatanX posted:

I wouldn't return it too quick though. My C-200 was buggy as all hell at first, now it plays anything I throw at it. Give em a few upgrades and it could be a solid box.

I would like to but the return window is only 30 days and the wife wants something that Just Works(tm).

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Brock Samson posted:

Sending mine back. Way too many problems with buffering, files that stream fine from computer to computer pause every few minutes or audio drops out for a few seconds. Not going to wait to see if/when they get every last playback problem fixed, along with this slow and crash prone UI.

Guess I'll go with my first thought and build an xmbc box, had high hopes for the boxee but the problems are just too much to put up with.

I don't have this problem at all. Are you using wireless networking or ethernet? Are these local files or streamed internet files? What is your internet connection like? How big are the files and what format are they in?

Depending on your setup you could still spend $2k on a custom computer and have the same issues...

MTW
Dec 30, 2004

by angerbot
The scanning poo poo needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to rescan every time I add videos to my WHS; it should scan every time I select "files".

The loving WDTV gets this right. Why doesn't Boxee?

MTW fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2010

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MTW posted:

The scanning poo poo needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to rescan every time I add videos to my WHS; it should scan every time I select "files".
This is my biggest problem with my boxee, while its a bit frustrating I'm sure it'll get fixed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MTW posted:

The loving WDTV gets this right. Why doesn't Boxee?

The wdtv doesn't scan anything. It just browses your network share. You can do the same thing on boxee under the main files area.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Citycop posted:

I don't have this problem at all. Are you using wireless networking or ethernet? Are these local files or streamed internet files? What is your internet connection like? How big are the files and what format are they in?

Depending on your setup you could still spend $2k on a custom computer and have the same issues...

Ethernet, local files, roughly 1-1.5gb tv rips. Streams fine from computer to computer so I shouldn't have a problem, just didn't want to spend the money if I could get the boxee to do it all for less. Now that I have a spare machine that is definitely up to the task I have no reason to wait on the boxee updates.

Not bashing the boxee, I really, really liked it when it worked and am sure when they finally get everything ironed out it will be a great device.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yeah, I have noticed much more stability once all of my network drives were scanned and identified. Also was relieved to find out that the video issue I had with Fight Club was the file as other movies are just fine. Really crossing my fingers this stability stays, I want this to work!

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Brock Samson posted:

If you bought it from Amazon, you do have until January 31 to return it (christmas return policy)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Next-Gen posted:

If you bought it from Amazon, you do have until January 31 to return it (christmas return policy)

When does that start? If we preordered?

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

TraderStav posted:

When does that start? If we preordered?

yeah, their return process is tracked by when it ships.

quote:

Items shipped by Amazon.com between November 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010, may be returned until January 31, 2011, for a full refund, subject to our other return guidelines listed in our Product Return Policies Help pages.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Mine seems to have poo poo itself after the latest update. Takes a lot longer to turn on and takes even longer to scrub though xvids. I'm not going to send it back because tonight is the first time that it's given me any trouble at all, but drat if it's not irritating me right now.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003
I'm considering exchanging mine as the fan noise is nearly unbearable. I have one friend that has a loud fan and another that doesn't hear the fan at all...so either his fan isn't working or he has a device that doesn't have the same issue as me.

Does anyone else have a loud fan? Am I going to exchange it and just get another one with a loud fan?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow I didn't even know it had a fan. So no, definitely not a loud one. You should exchange it, mine is totally silent although I haven't stuck my ear right next to it. Definitely a lot quieter than an xbox/ps3 though!

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Mine is quieter than my TV, honestly did not know it had a fan.

ffej
Dec 28, 2003

Citycop posted:

Mine is quieter than my TV, honestly did not know it had a fan.

Well now I am really concerned. I have never heard a hovercraft in real life but I assume the noise my Boxee is making is very similar.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

My Boxee won't send a signal to the TV now. Haven't touched the HDMI cables at all. Boxee turns green and I can hear the fan running (very quietly), but the TV doesn't display any image.

I'll be sending it back either tomorrow or Wednesday as it's pretty worthless if it can't display a picture. Now, I need to decide what to replace it with.

It worked really well for the 1.5 weeks that I got to use it. I had no problems with it until the latest update. I understand that some of these products take time to get working well, but I can't have the thing be completely unusable while the developers figure things out. Terrible quality (also a stupid loving enclosure design) -- will be telling friends and family to avoid it like the plague.

EDIT: I'm thinking that it may have over heated? It just froze up about 1hr 40min into a 2 hour movie.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ffej posted:

Well now I am really concerned. I have never heard a hovercraft in real life but I assume the noise my Boxee is making is very similar.

I live on the water and near a bridge that people like to commit suicide on(from?). The hovercraft that hangs out under the bridge is loud. VERY loud. It shakes my apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

Bought from Amazon and I'm really not impressed. I see where they are going with it and personally, I think they are catering to the wrong market.

Going to send it back, spend the extra $100 and get another C-200.

If they really get it together, Id consider getting it again, but not with the way it is now.

• Locked thread