Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
The real mystery is why ITV have 4 channels, when they don't have enough decent programming to fill one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Ein Bear posted:

The real mystery is why ITV have 4 channels, when they don't have enough decent programming to fill one.

As long as they make 1000+ more episodes of Jeremy Kyle, im happy.

butch thumperton
Jun 30, 2003

a pwn cocktail posted:

So this seemed like the best thread to ask this in...

Does anyone know why there's a 1 hour delayed repeat channel for ITV2 but not for ITV1?
ITV1+1 is launching on all digital platforms early in 2011. It has taken this long because of contract rights issues, and because there's 22 regional variations of ITV1 with different adverts, unlike ITV2/3/4 which are the same across the country.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
ITV: Twentytwo times shitter than the average channel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

feedmyleg posted:

Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

For radio, it'd be worth giving Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue a try.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

feedmyleg posted:

Search Youtube for a show called Space Cadets.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

cloudchamber posted:

Search Youtube for a show called Space Cadets.

As in the Johnny Vaughn presented reality show which sent a the winning members of the public into space?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

feedmyleg posted:

Have I got News For You, it is nominally a topical news quiz but don't let a lack of familiarity with our news put you off. It's good.

Never Mind The Buzzcocks is a music flavoured panel show, and is often sublime. The first few seasons are pretty ropey though.

Many, many episodes from both can be found on youtube.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I would skip straight to the Bill Bailey episodes of Buzzcocks, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the Irish team captain (middle of the right team) was just poo poo.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Meltdown321 posted:

Did anyone watch an odd little show on CITV called Roger and the Rottentrolls? It was a bit past my time on children`s TV but a friend had it on once and it`s a work of genius.

Yes, I remember this being brilliant for its time. Very clever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Raeg posted:

For radio, it'd be worth giving Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue a try.

When something doesn't seem to make sense, listen for a few more episodes, then you'll get it.

Been a while since I last saw a forum game of Mornington Crescent, good times.

You'll probably also like "Would I Lie To You", similar concept to the Unbelievable Truth but with more in common with normal panel games rather than being monologue-based, and has David Mitchell as a team captain. Gets similar participants to 8 Out of 10 and QI as well.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

butch thumperton posted:

ITV1+1 is launching on all digital platforms early in 2011. It has taken this long because of contract rights issues, and because there's 22 regional variations of ITV1 with different adverts, unlike ITV2/3/4 which are the same across the country.

22? That seems too high. I'm pretty sure it used to be 16 or 17 until last year when they've merged some regions for cost-cutting/news purposes and now there are 10. There may be some sub-opts in some regions to facilitate more directed advertising.

Either way, it's bollocks these days. I miss my Granada G, goddammit.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BizarroAzrael posted:

When something doesn't seem to make sense, listen for a few more episodes, then you'll get it.

Been a while since I last saw a forum game of Mornington Crescent, good times.

You'll probably also like "Would I Lie To You", similar concept to the Unbelievable Truth but with more in common with normal panel games rather than being monologue-based, and has David Mitchell as a team captain. Gets similar participants to 8 Out of 10 and QI as well.

I'll just repost this because it made my goddamn year when it was posted in the last thread: An archive of every Clue show from 1972 till 2002.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another solid tip if you like banter-based panel shows is, well... Banter.

Does exactly what is says on the tin. Richard Herring, Russel howard, Will Smith and others.
http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads-banter.htm

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT. That may be in large part due to having to design a video game around a heavily "banter-based" panel show and getting frustrated and having to ask people to quantify what "a bit of banter" actually means from a gameplay perspective. poo poo those were some long design meetings.

Oh and back to US sitcoms for a minute, is it just me or is Everybody Loves Raymond just... soul crushing? It's the slow breakdown of an unhappy marriage set to a laugh track. It's so grim and depressing. I don't know why the gently caress it ran for so long. Who laughs at that? I guess Robert makes a funny face or shouts every couple of episodes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Akuma posted:

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT. That may be in large part due to having to design a video game around a heavily "banter-based" panel show and getting frustrated and having to ask people to quantify what "a bit of banter" actually means from a gameplay perspective. poo poo those were some long design meetings.

You watch a lot of Dave's continuity then? What was the game, if you can tell us?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

You watch a lot of Dave's continuity then? What was the game, if you can tell us?
Yes! That's exactly what gets to me. And no, I can't I'm afraid. It might still happen in a few month's time. I can say, though, that the design ended up as sort of an adventure game set in a panel show context. I was really looking forward to playing it.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

feedmyleg posted:

Radio 4 Panel Shows:
  • Heresy
  • Museum of Curiosity
  • I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
  • Just a Minute
  • The News Quiz
  • Armando Iannucci's Charm Offensive
  • Banter
  • So Wrong It's Right

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Akuma posted:

I'm seconding this, but not merely restricting my hatred to television. "Banter" here at uni has taken on a whole new level, where now it basically means lots of cunts going to a big club and getting wankered, so it's pretty typical to see "£1.50 drinks, free shot on entry and PRICELESS BANTER" or what have you on fliers. Every time I see the word now bile rises in my throat.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Apparently a maternity nurse from the One Born Every Minute Xmas special is giving the alternative christmas message on Channel 4. Dappy's either doing one on T4 or E4 or something like that.

Still, either is better than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

'Banter' is just the latest in a long line of buzzwords/phrases that people mistakenly believe gives them free reign to act like wankers. See also: 'I speak my mind', 'I'm just having a laugh', etc.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

The Perfect Element posted:

PRICELESS BANTER

Well, you wouldn't pay for it, would you? Everyone thinks they're Oscar Wilde when they've had a few drinks, whereas in reality they're barely Jim Davidson (myself included)

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 25, 2010

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Roidweiser posted:

As in the Johnny Vaughn presented reality show which sent a the winning members of the public into space?

Nope. The Sci-Fi quiz show hosted by Greg Proops with Bill Bailey and Craig Charles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFNqN6Pjgk

Look out for the episode with Terr Pratchett.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT.

S... Stewart? Stewart Lee, is that you?

for the record i agree

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2010

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

panel shows

As slotbadger bulletpointed, 'Charm Offensive' is immense. You can find a few shows of CO, along with previously mentioned 'Banter' and 'Heresy' -

http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads.htm

Hell, everyone should just listen to 'Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World' and 'Lee & Herring's Fist Of Fun' fullstop!

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

cloudchamber posted:

Nope. The Sci-Fi quiz show hosted by Greg Proops with Bill Bailey and Craig Charles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFNqN6Pjgk

Look out for the episode with Terr Pratchett.

Ah, well that's OK then, I thought that recommendation was a little out of place.

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
Warwick Davis shows us why "Life's Too Short" will be fantastic, regardless of your taste for Gervais. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amSfV-wA1d8

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Is that his 'Curb your Enthusiasm' style show he mentioned in his autobiography?

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008
If you mean Davis', I would assume so, yes. I wasn't so sure about his comedic talents, after watching that I have absolute faith, his timing is impeccable.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I can't unsee the Bear from Bo Selecta watching this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Has Paloma Faith got a pair of Stan heads from South Park as shoulder pads on Buzzcocks?

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
It woudl appear so.

God i hate Tim Minchin.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

It woudl appear so.

God i hate Tim Minchin.

Bit funny to get Donovan on the show after what Minchin said about Kylie (skip to 2:15) last time.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Misfits was epic tonight, I hope you are all watching it, or planning to very soon.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brown Moses posted:

Misfits was epic tonight, I hope you are all watching it, or planning to very soon.

Waiting to get it in better quality, but better than last weeks?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ibroxmassive posted:

Waiting to get it in better quality, but better than last weeks?

Best episode ever.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brown Moses posted:

Best episode ever.

Dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I can't watch it tonight and some rear end in a top hat on Facebook ruined the big twist for me :( Fuuuuuuck!!