Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
c-c-c-c-crosspost!

Any painting advice/criticism you can get from the photo I wanna hear it

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

So I've finished painting Lelith, very proud. Unfortunately the only camera I have now is the fairly crappy iphone camera, so yeah :sigh:

Click here for the full 1050x1132 image.

You can't see the blends properly :( I'm especially proud of the skintones, and the make-up

e: by the way bluedini, that tomb stalker is loving rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

c-c-c-c-crosspost!

Any painting advice/criticism you can get from the photo I wanna hear it

That's honestly not going to be much. Color scheme looks ok, if a bit washed out. Hard to say if that's the photo or not, though.

Does your iphone have a macro/closeup setting? That would probably help you get much better focus.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Nope tried again and just as bad, closest it has to macro is a HDR mode that takes 3 exposures and blends the best results. All just as blurry/low def :(

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

If you have a magnifying glass, you can hold that between the camera and the object to help improve macro focus. You'll have to experiment with the distances for each, but it works like a charm to get better focus from crappy cameras on little objects

:science: Biologist trick.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Also cross-posting!

The Great Bluedini posted:

Lots of images incoming! Tomb Stalker is finished for now. I may well add some little details here and there but I'm happy with what I've got so far. Took a few pictures of my other Necrons in store today for scale and colour scheme comparison. Enjoy!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Loaf32 posted:

Golden Fluid Acrylics Primary Magenta #2421 Series 6.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/color/fluid/fldcht1.php

It's fairly translucent, so it works well as a glaze and shows up really rich when layed in multiple thin layers. Used it on some Slaanesh WoC back in the day.

Alright, I got me a tube of this. 59 mL, gently caress yeah. :sicknasty:

Did you put a wash on yours, or was this a long while ago?

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
So I decided I really like modelling and painting. But I don't think I will ever have enough time to field a warhammer army, and I'm not really interested in trying to find other people to play with (the people at my LGS look horrible to be honest). I am a big board game person though so I was wondering if there were any boardgames that had figures of a high enough quality that they would be worth painting. I am trying to track down a copy of Space Hulk without breaking the bank, but other than that are their any good options?

Thanks!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hero Quest is a pretty great game if you're into old-school AD&D style medieval fantasy. The miniatures aren't as eye-poppingly great as space hulk, but I had fun painting them when I was a little kid.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Decent comes readily to mind. The Castle Ravenloft board game has a fair number of minis that come with it. And if you're up for a challenge, Arkham Horror with some of these would be pretty cool.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's a whole bunch of gay pix of my orks. Lot o' painting for what is basically a side project for me.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thassa mighty fine lookin' army, fyrbrand.

I haven't really got the patience for moving hordes in this game, do you enjoy the way it plays?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man. To be honest, they're pretty annoying to play with and to transport. That was a big reason for my move towards a dreadbash list. I've a way to go obviously, but I'm getting there.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
What do you guys think about airbrushes? Worth it or no? I found this little airbrush. I'm willing to throw down 100-300 so long as I won't be upgrading it for something better in a year or two (or have to pay that much in upkeep).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Bavius posted:

What do you guys think about airbrushes? Worth it or no? I found this little airbrush. I'm willing to throw down 100-300 so long as I won't be upgrading it for something better in a year or two (or have to pay that much in upkeep).

Depends on how many tanks you have to paint.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did you put a wash on yours, or was this a long while ago?

Nah. I did an all-over coat over black primer, then did a second layer on the mids, then added something to it 50/50 for highlights. Tentacle Pink, maybe? I don't remember. I think I did an all-over glaze of it after highlights to bring the layers together, though.

edit: If you basecoat with Scorched Brown, it may make the color richer than if you just go straight over black. Never tried it, though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Bavius posted:

Airbrushes are incredibly worth it. That one will be great for base coats, but something with a smaller needle will do insane detail work.

And yes, they really shine best with tanks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

Thanks man. To be honest, they're pretty annoying to play with and to transport. That was a big reason for my move towards a dreadbash list. I've a way to go obviously, but I'm getting there.

That's odd, dreadbash isn't really any less footsloggy. It's the same deal as a green tide with a bunch of AV11 at the front. Have you given any consideration to the noble battlewagon, or the pointsinky bike units?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
What needle size should I shoot for? Ideally I'll be working it into painting everything. But at the moment I have two insanely huge projects. A stompa and a baneblade turned skullhamma.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Content post: Getting back into painting means I had to go through my workshop and figure out what was still good, what I still wanted to work with and what was essentially trash. I spent all day reorganizing it and upgrading my spray booth.

Spray booth now has two very bright LED lights in it, so no more pointing artists lamps at it hoping to illuminate it right. I also tossed in a new air filter and built a little side cubby to hold my bottles of liquids for thinning/varnishing models.

Emptied out the drawers and got rid of a ton of crap, nothing really to see here.

Oh god it took forever to sort this. I have to say one year old gw paint doesn't hold up well compared to three year old tamiya paint.

Basically I'm a huge workspace nerd and love organizing workspaces as much as I like painting. It'd be cool if you guys posted yours every now and then?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
my workspace looks like a hobby store threw up all over a couple of desks

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hosting gonna poo poo itself this month, but here's all my Salamanders.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I take it you like green

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

my workspace looks like a hobby store threw up all over a couple of desks

My workspace looks like a giant pewter rabbit took dozens of giant pewter shits all over the place and then tried to hide most of it from its wife.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

HKR posted:

Basically I'm a huge workspace nerd and love organizing workspaces as much as I like painting. It'd be cool if you guys posted yours every now and then?

Here it is. This is where the :hist101: happens.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I uh... I really need a desk for this stuff so that the :hist101: isn't in the way of Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

^^ Nice Shasta, got a Rush mix tape in there too?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mondian posted:

^^ Nice Shasta, got a Rush mix tape in there too?

I guarantee you he has got a Rush mix tape in there, too.

Like a boss.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
2112 was already stuck in my head. Weird.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We moved to Boston, so we ended up in a much smaller apartment and I lost my workspace. Now I have some shelving to store things and a folding table I put out when working on something. :smith: On the plus side, we're hoping to move to somewhere a bit bigger in the spring, so maybe I can reclaim some space.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fyrbrand posted:

Here's a whole bunch of gay pix of my orks.

You're right. It is pretty gay.
love 'em.

Tadhg posted:

Here it is. This is where the :hist101: happens.

That looks terrible. Shasta? Gross.
Also: beaten (sort of) by :fry: references. :argh:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

So I take it you like green

Not really sure what would give you that idea. :confused:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

HKR posted:

Content post: Getting back into painting means I had to go through my workshop and figure out what was still good, what I still wanted to work with and what was essentially trash. I spent all day reorganizing it and upgrading my spray booth.

Feel like sharing how you built that and the cost involved? I still have to wait a few weeks for my compressor so I may as well have everything ready when it comes.

Edit: Love the Sallys.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cost of the box was nothing because it was scrap wood I had laying around. The fan and the housing for the fan were something like $30 and the tubing was another $10 or so. The lights were fairly expensive at $25 a piece, but they should last me a long while.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think you should put some saran wrap or something over the lights, for easy cleanup when they're inevitably spraypainted.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So Fyrbrand, are you willing to admit that while alone you have lined up both of your armies up on your new table with terrain and made pewpew noises? Perhaps even rolled some dice?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant posted:

So Fyrbrand, are you willing to admit that while alone you have lined up both of your armies up on your new table with terrain and made pewpew noises? Perhaps even rolled some dice?

who hasn't? what a nerd :c00lbert:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Mondian posted:

Nice Shasta, got a Rush mix tape in there too?

Sole.Sushi posted:

That looks terrible. Shasta? Gross.
Also: beaten (sort of) by :fry: references.

Shasta is the king of cheap sodas. It comes in every flavor you could want, and a few you don't want. Froofy cane sugar microbrew rootbeer is for delicate enjoyment, and has its place; Shasta is fuel for gaming binges, and has an entirely different place.

Also, that episode first aired during my freshman year in college; my friends and I saw it together (pineapple Shasta in hand, Atari t-shirt on, and Rush CD in my stereo) and I never heard the end of it. Doesn't change the facts that Rush is awesome, Shasta is the best gaming soda in existence, and retro video games own. :colbert: Haters can hate.

enri posted:

who hasn't? what a nerd :c00lbert:
This. If you haven't done this with your plastic space barbies, then you haven't truly enjoyed warhammer. Haters can hate. :c00lbert:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

Hosting gonna poo poo itself this month, but here's all my Salamanders.

Love em. I love em all.

here's mine with my display board. I did not paint the volcano, I hired someone due to time constraints. :ohdear:

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 25, 2010

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

HKR posted:

Airbrushes are incredibly worth it. That one will be great for base coats, but something with a smaller needle will do insane detail work.

And yes, they really shine best with tanks.

What size needle do I want? Going to purchase one online tonight - pretty excited to try airbrushing out.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Bavius posted:

What size needle do I want? Going to purchase one online tonight - pretty excited to try airbrushing out.

That one you linked earlier will be perfectly fine for you. In fact the airbrush I still use is a 3mm, and it's lasted me three years. I'm only now just starting to feel comfortable enough with it to want to get something smaller/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Sweet. I'll be sure to post up my first model once I get the airbrush. I've got a stompa that is staring at me as I type. Also have a baneblade that I dreaded putting together just because I couldn't fathom painting it.

• Locked thread