Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
In case this was directed at me, i haven't said with a single word that i think the consumption is bad. I have no problem running 3 operas at 2+gb each for days (that's what i bought the hardware for), i'm just curious which tabs (besides videos) would consume that much memory.

Anyway, the tab stacking so far has been great, but some of the drag n drop behavior in and out of stacks is rather unintuitive. I usually just keep all stacks closed and select tabs using the hover-previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Matlock, BRB posted:

You have several full screen tabs open, and the current one has a Flash plugin (like Youtube) that you have focus on (you clicked the Youtube video to pause or mute it or whatever).
Now change to another tab by using right mouse button+mouse scroll.
This is an old standing bug with gestures. Just rightclick onto plain html when that happens and the flash loses focus.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

thrawn86 posted:

speaking of less memory, its using 655 megs right now for <10 tabs. combined with another instance of 10.63 that almost 1.5 gigs about 20 tabs tota.

I'm using 1.15 GB ram overall, with 500 in physical memory, on a 4GB machine. My tab bar looks like this:

Click here for the full 1920x52 image.

It may not use memory PERFECTLY well when you don't have a lot going on, but it scales ridiculously well when you go up. Plus: I can get it down to 32MB physical used just by minimizing the window.

Complaining about Opera's memory use is very misguided.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I hate that important things are announced/decided on twitter, so I share them with you so you don't have to.

Movable extension buttons are coming:

quote:

@opvard Is there any prospect of extension buttons being moveable? So that we sort them/ place them elsewhere? Or can we do this now?

@iangoggin Our UX team is looking into what we can do about extension buttons.
about 20 hours ago via web in reply to iangoggin

I don't have much opinion on this either way but if you do, twitter him:

quote:

Poll: Should all other tab stacks be collapsed automatically when you click to expand a stack? #Opera11

More news about stacking:

quote:

@petternilsen has been doing some work on tab stacking. Now new tabs open inside the stack.
about 20 hours ago via web

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

There's only one single answer possible for that poll: Make it a drat option.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Fair enough. Voted for that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Matlock, BRB posted:

Does anyone else experience this?
Used to happen frequently enough to me that I got in the habit of always clicking on a page after switching to it via the scroll wheel.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Lately M2 and my work's mail server (which I admin) are not playing nice. I get a lot of "The connection with the IMAP server was unexpectedly interrupted." errors with no real explanation of why this is happening. All of my other accounts are to GMail, whereas this is to Dovecot.

I can delete the account and it will resync again; it only happens after the account is fully synced. We are an ISP and host a good bit of email and nobody else is having issues. I've done packet dumps to confirm traffic is normal and the server logs show I'm authing fine. I have no explanation of why this is happening, but when I use M2 while I'm at work it's fine as well (same Opera version, too).

If someone can speak up that they're seeing this as well I'll be quite relieved; I'm not in the mood to dig into my home firewall (OpenWRT) or start bugging the cable company about it because it's definitely not my desktop (FreeBSD).

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Mithaldu posted:

I'm using 1.15 GB ram overall, with 500 in physical memory, on a 4GB machine. My tab bar looks like this:

Click here for the full 1920x52 image.

It may not use memory PERFECTLY well when you don't have a lot going on, but it scales ridiculously well when you go up. Plus: I can get it down to 32MB physical used just by minimizing the window.

Complaining about Opera's memory use is very misguided.

well gently caress me. I wasn't necessarily complaining since I have plenty of memory and it doesn't seem to affect my system. More just curious if that was normal. I actually tried 6 tabs in chrome, that got me up to about 300mb.

I remember I used to get upset about aim using 12mb of memory!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
By the way, if you don't like Opera 11 hiding the full URL, the setting is appropriately called "Hide URL Parameter".

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Riso posted:

By the way, if you don't like Opera 11 hiding the full URL, the setting is appropriately called "Hide URL Parameter".

Oh hey, that's new too. Thank you for pointing it out.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Riso posted:

Ah, thanks. I've been interested in this. It hasn't bothered me yet but it's good to know where to go to disable it.

Lakitu7 posted:

More news about stacking:

Yay. :neckbeard:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Wheany posted:

Hey, guess what?

Apparently Opera can do that (in the latest beta)

:)
This is why I love Opera
I was trying the FF4 beta bexause of their new tab grouping feature, but I was having such a miserable time. I haven't tried the beta yet, but I have great hopes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

In case anyone hasn't seen it, their page for the Opera 11 Beta cracked me up.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Seems the Beta tops out at 97 on the http://acid3.acidtests.org/ check. Probably completely meaningless, just made me wonder since earlier versions used to get 100.

Has anybody gotten the "Enable On Demand Plugin" thing to work? Doesn't seem to do anything for me. Works perfectly now. :)

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 27, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Man, i really wish the "remove from current view" stuff is fixed soon. My filters look more and more like complete arse.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I've installed Opera 11 Beta but now it has taken over the default browser setting in Windows 7 from Opera 10, how do i set it back to Opera 10? Setting in in Opera preferences doesn't work.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

LooKMaN posted:

I've installed Opera 11 Beta but now it has taken over the default browser setting in Windows 7 from Opera 10, how do i set it back to Opera 10? Setting in in Opera preferences doesn't work.
Not sure, but you could try setting IE/Firefox/Chrome as your default browser, then setting Opera 10 as default afterwards.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

That doesn't work.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Seems the Beta tops out at 97 on the http://acid3.acidtests.org/ check. Probably completely meaningless, just made me wonder since earlier versions used to get 100.

Well I get 100 on my beta, maybe there's something wrong with your install?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I just lost all my tabs because I had two Opera windows open and closed them both, and it only saved the tabs from one. Is there any way to get them back?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I get 100 also.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Currently on 11.00 1111, so i guess i'll do a proper cleansing and reinstall.

Edit: Done and done, 100 now. :) Guess there was something off in the browser.js...

Been going through opera:config, but i can't seem to find a setting to shorten the "show stack previews" popup delay - it seems to be fixed at 1000ms now and i'd love to get a faster reaction than that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 28, 2010

Captain Tagon
Jun 15, 2005
Back and to the left.

Zero The Hero posted:

I just lost all my tabs because I had two Opera windows open and closed them both, and it only saved the tabs from one. Is there any way to get them back?

There is a autosave.win file in appdata\roaming\opera\opera\sessions, give that a looking at.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Opera is going to resolve a very special bug: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/pulling-our-socks-up

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Anyone know why Opera is flagging Youtube for malware right now? Malwarebytes is showing my system's clean so it's not a redirect on this end, but just entering "www.youtube.com" is bringing up "FRAUD SITE" in the URL bar and malware warnings.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm seeing it too. Obviously there's a cockup on their end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm seeing it too. Obviously there's a cockup on their end.

AVG is on a roll:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/212313/avg_free_update_bricks_64bit_windows_7_pcs.html

e: not necessarily related to that, but AVG supplies Opera's site check.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
So thanks to this thread I've unticked "reuse tabs" to get Search With working without me losing my current tab.

Now is there any way for me to have other UI buttons (Like back/forward/home) open in a new tab when I middle click?

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
So I just started using Opera 11 Beta (most recent build, just downloaded today, on Ubuntu 10.10) and I signed up for this Opera Link service. The problem I'm having is that I accidentally gave it the wrong email address, and now that I've made a new account with the right one via the My Opera page, I can't seem to find an option to change the logged-in account in the browser itself. There's got to be something I'm missing here, help?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I think disabling it and reenabling it will ask you for the login again.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Mithaldu posted:

I think disabling it and reenabling it will ask you for the login again.

I tried that, unless I'm supposed to be disabling it from some menu I haven't found yet, it just autologs me back in.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I got hit with the YouTube malware warning last night. It's only the main page, the rest of the site doesn't set off any flags. This is either a gently caress-up, a malicious change to AVG's database by someone who hates YouTube or the result of questionable choices by YouTube's ad sales department.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Loving the new Opera 11 Beta but I have two issues:

I still can't be totally independent of IE, mainly because my Live Mail can't be accessed in Opera. When I go to https://live.mail.com and login, I get a white screen with just one line of text, saying:

quote:

LiveId authentication code has returned error 0x8004920a, indicating that there is a problem with your server configuration. Please check the Application Event Log for detailed information and correct the problem.

It works in IE, however. Not sure what to do there.

My second problem is with extensions that add buttons to my toolbar. Even with the extension enabled, I can see the button listed in the "Default" buttons list, but the ones added by extensions can't be clicked, dragged, or even diabled by right clicking. Other, Opera native buttons can be moved normally. There are lots of slick extensions with buttons, but I can't use any of them right now!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Meroin posted:

I still can't be totally independent of IE, mainly because my Live Mail can't be accessed in Opera. When I go to https://live.mail.com and login, I get a white screen with just one line of text, saying:

Can't you set Browser Identification to 'Identify as IE' for that site?

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Meroin posted:

I just created an account to live.mail without problems. Quick googling suggests that it's a common problem on any browser.

Maybe your privacy settings are too tight, right click on empty space at live.mail and select "edit site preferences..." Allow cookies, javascript etc. Clear cache, restart Opera and try again.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I just found out about chromes show saved passwords feature. I'm moving back to opera because of it. Can someone confirm opera doesn't show any of the saved passwords in plain text in an options menu.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Unparagoned posted:

I just found out about chromes show saved passwords feature. I'm moving back to opera because of it. Can someone confirm opera doesn't show any of the saved passwords in plain text in an options menu.

It doesn't, but you can get them anyhow. Browse to a page where a password was stored, edit the cache to change the type of the password field to "text", reload from cache, hit ctrl+enter and ESC and there's the password in clear text. Up to you how much of a risk you regard that as.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Alternatively, don't store your passwords.

E: Or do what I do, and use an external program that you trust. Something like TrueCrypt or Keepass or whatever.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

I'm using the LastPass extension for Opera 11, seems great.

Does anyone else notice that smooth scrolling seems abit more laggy in Opera 11 though or is it just me?