Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pielid
Aug 13, 2009

Hey I just finished a Philosophy 101 class here I'll tell you all about it!
Over the past two weeks I have watched 5 and a half seasons of Married With Children. This is really a great show, and it's pretty sad that I relate more to this family than my own. Three cheers for constructing my character and morals from television!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just burned through season 1 of Modern Family in the last three days. Can't wait to start on season 2 this afternoon.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Parks and Recreation

I always thought this series looked stupid, but I saw so many Ron Swanson avatars here my interest was piqued. I was shocked by how good this show is and am really excited for NBC's Thursday comedy lineup.

The first season almost lost me, but I am glad I stuck it out (hell, it's only 6 episodes, so a little over two hours, and I have forced myself to finish worse movies of similar length). I think the second season would not have been nearly as funny without the character groundwork provided by the first season.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I'm watching Boston Legal, I'm almost done with Season 2. I don't believe I haven't watched it earlier. I'm also watching Vengeance Unlimited, a show I saw recommended in another thread and it is terrific, even though getting my hands on it was near impossible, it was worth it. Michael Madsen is awesome.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

My wife and I are most of the way through Spaced. I'd heard about it for years, and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. It's funny as hell, and every character is brilliant.

Good choice. I've watched it many times and it never stops being funny.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but in case you haven't, check out Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. They have a very similar style and many of the same actors.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Greyish Orange posted:

Good choice. I've watched it many times and it never stops being funny.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but in case you haven't, check out Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. They have a very similar style and many of the same actors.

I'd already seen them, which is why I was interested in Spaced. The thing about Spaced that makes it so fun is that it's that same sense of humor but without the constraint of staying on topic for an entire movie. They'll do these awesome little micro-genre-parodies for maybe fifteen seconds and then just move on as if nothing had happened.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I'm on season 7 of Charmed and I'm really liking this Avatar storyline because they're supposed to be antagonist and I know eventually they're going to turn out to be evil, but I can't help liking them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished Veronica Mars, I definitely think that the first season was the highlight but the pilot about her working for the FBI makes me sad at what never was; After wrapping up who murdered her best friend the show seemed to just amble about, but with her working for the FBI it could have been a pretty great crime show about solving crimes with grrrrl power...with ATTITUDE! Of course, I was one of those people who initially dismissed it as "Nancy Drew but in modern times :rolleyes:" so even at its worst the show was better than I expected.

That said, the third season made me uncomfortable with how willing it was to do the whole "victim of rape is actually lying" trope. Maybe it's just because a combination of people under-reporting rapes (a popular statistic is that about 5% of rapes are actually reported to police) while false accusations get over-represented in the media, but I found myself rolling my eyes a lot at the cartoonishly over-the-top feminist man-haters and how in the end they were all lying.

Still, aside from some mis-steps Veronica Mars was great for how it took a premise that could have been juvenile and treated it with a lot more brains and gravitas to make it something special.

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010
I just finished Six Feet Under. I liked the first 2 seasons more than the last 3 (I thought there were points during the 3rd and 4th where the series dragged a little, but the first 2 were basically perfect in my mind) but every season was great and the finale was very fitting for the series. I was actually a little afraid that it wouldn't live up to the praise I saw for it but it totally did. It probably helped that I was really careful to not be an idiot and spoil it for myself like I usually do with things.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I finished season 2 of Veronica Mars and watched the first episode of season 3.

WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE OPENING CREDITS?
:negative:

Talk about the whole dynamic of the show being obviously different right off the bat. I assume that's because it moved to the CW network and they wanted to feel more "adult"?

About the season 2 finale... the whole thing seemed kind of rushed and it didn't feel like it fit the pacing of the rest of the season, or season 1. Hard to explain exactly, but so much happened in what seemed like two minutes and nobody, including the audience, had any time to react to anything at all. Seriously, Aaron Echols gets shot, Cassiday ends up going from innocent sweet love interest teenager to twisted psycho (even changing the way he talks to be more stereotypically evil), we are led to believe Keith Mars dies, and all in an extremely short amount of time. It just felt wrong. Plus they started the episode with that really weird dream sequence where Lily is alive and Veronica never helped out Wallace.

The most messed up thing in my opinion is that they retconned the not-a-rape-anymore from the first season back to being a rape again. And then to start the next season and see everything has a different feel to it, from the font the credits are in, to the general feel of the show, it just seemed... off. And they are making rape a theme of this season once again. I just hope that we haven't met the rapist yet. If we have, it has to be either the crime teacher or his assistant because the rest of the new characters haven't been in the school long enough.

I have a friend who watched the whole series and he said that the last couple of episodes end with an interesting mystery so at least I have that to look forward to. Anyone care to back that up without use of spoilers?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Superrodan posted:

I finished season 2 of Veronica Mars and watched the first episode of season 3.

WHAT DID THEY DO TO THE OPENING CREDITS?
:negative:

Talk about the whole dynamic of the show being obviously different right off the bat. I assume that's because it moved to the CW network and they wanted to feel more "adult"?

About the season 2 finale... the whole thing seemed kind of rushed and it didn't feel like it fit the pacing of the rest of the season, or season 1. Hard to explain exactly, but so much happened in what seemed like two minutes and nobody, including the audience, had any time to react to anything at all. Seriously, Aaron Echols gets shot, Cassiday ends up going from innocent sweet love interest teenager to twisted psycho (even changing the way he talks to be more stereotypically evil), we are led to believe Keith Mars dies, and all in an extremely short amount of time. It just felt wrong. Plus they started the episode with that really weird dream sequence where Lily is alive and Veronica never helped out Wallace.

The most messed up thing in my opinion is that they retconned the not-a-rape-anymore from the first season back to being a rape again. And then to start the next season and see everything has a different feel to it, from the font the credits are in, to the general feel of the show, it just seemed... off. And they are making rape a theme of this season once again. I just hope that we haven't met the rapist yet. If we have, it has to be either the crime teacher or his assistant because the rest of the new characters haven't been in the school long enough.

I have a friend who watched the whole series and he said that the last couple of episodes end with an interesting mystery so at least I have that to look forward to. Anyone care to back that up without use of spoilers?

They definitely are, the last few eps of season 3 were a good note to end on because it reminded me of season 1 a lot; after the over-arching plots of schoolbus sabotage, mayoral election, and rape it was good to go back to rich people ruining each others' lives for fun and profit again. Especially after the way the feel of the show had changed; they even have a "very special" episode that ends with the cast members out-of-character talking about child soldiers and how you can help :doh:

Also, I was pretty :geno: about the ending of season 2, but I really liked the dream sequence. The way it just cold-opens and takes you a bit to realize what's up was great, and I liked the return to the juxtaposition of how her pre-murder life was that they used so much in season 1.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, I was pretty :geno: about the ending of season 2, but I really liked the dream sequence. The way it just cold-opens and takes you a bit to realize what's up was great, and I liked the return to the juxtaposition of how her pre-murder life was that they used so much in season 1.

I'm fairly certain it didn't cold open with that though. Didn't they have a bit of Keith Mars telling Veronica some info about tracking down the mayor, then she went to bed, then they did the dream sequence? Maybe I am remembering wrong but I recall being aware immediately that it was a dream since they switched from normal Veronica to dream world, and it seemed pretty pointless.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I binged through Heroes and it was horrible, just... horrible.

I binged through Dead Like Me and it started out amazing, then it was pretty good until then end. Then the movie was horrible, just... horrible.

Now I'm binging through Huff and I can't believe how good this show is. It's a shame it only lasted two seasons, but at the same time I can understand it; a lot of casual TV viewers probably don't want to tune in once a week to watch a show that can be so relentlessly brutal in exposing its characters' petty flaws.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I went through Firefly again!

Now why did I do that?! :smithicide:

Shortly afterwards I learned that Whedon designed the show to go for seven seasons. :suicide:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Currently in the middle of Season 4 of Dexter. Overall a pretty drat good show though I wish it had kept building up on the 'craziness' of Season 2 instead of toning it down. I also don't understand how the Missing Persons Dept. hasn't made some pretty obvious connections.

Six Feet Under enqueued.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

Currently in the middle of Season 4 of Dexter. Overall a pretty drat good show though I wish it had kept building up on the 'craziness' of Season 2 instead of toning it down. I also don't understand how the Missing Persons Dept. hasn't made some pretty obvious connections.

I found Season 3 had a real dip in quality, but stick with 4, it's brilliant.

Just finished the Wire, I'm not sure I can ever watch anything again, that was too amazing to be followed - though I might move onto King of the Hill for a change.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

Six Feet Under enqueued.

Well that was the most goddamn depressing thing I've ever seen. I want to go shoot myself now.

Season 5, here I come.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 24, 2010

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks
Bored to Death. In the Boardwalk Empire thread, the OP said that Bored to Death is mediocre at best, or something like that. It pisses me off to this day and I felt like I needed to vent.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mattimer posted:

Bored to Death. In the Boardwalk Empire thread, the OP said that Bored to Death is mediocre at best, or something like that. It pisses me off to this day and I felt like I needed to vent.

I tried to get into Bored to Death but only made it through a few episodes...does it get vastly better or if I didn't like the first four or so episodes is it probably just not a show I'm going to like?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Pielid posted:

Over the past two weeks I have watched 5 and a half seasons of Married With Children. This is really a great show, and it's pretty sad that I relate more to this family than my own. Three cheers for constructing my character and morals from television!!

I'm having a hard time watching Married With Children. I'm up to the end of S3 and I think I'm missing the appeal. Every episode is about how poor the family is and the jokes are pretty much being recycled. I find it kind of boring. Does it get any better?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently binged through some back episodes of The Mentalist. Not really my type of show, but it's watchable.

On another note I've been looking to pick up some new shows. Of shows that are currently airing I'm only watching The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, The Good Wife, Supernatural, Smallville, and Vampire Diaries.

I was thinking of maybe giving No Ordinary Family a shot, since I'm a huge Shield fan, but it looks kind of sitcom-ish. The Event is another one I might try out at well. I also noticed there's no thread for Lost Girl, the promo made it look a bit like Buffy. Anyone watch it yet? Is it any good? Having no thread probably means it's pretty bad.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
I just finished season 2 of Skins. I loved the show, even if it did get a bit over the top. I really thought the character development was great, to the point that I caught myself daydreaming about living in the world they created. I kind of have this nostalgic, sad feeling like I'm missing out on seeing what these characters turn into. It's the same feeling I got when I finished the final Harry Potter book.

I tried watching the first episode of season 3, but the cast change is really throwing me off. I just wanted more Sid and Cassie and Tony. :(

foastwab fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 27, 2010

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Edit: double post. I'm bad with forums.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
EDIT: holy god i keep clicking reply instead of edit. 5:30 am. fuuuuucck.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

foastwab posted:

I just finished season 2 of Skins. I loved the show, even if it did get a bit over the top. I really thought the character development was great, to the point that I caught myself daydreaming about living in the world they created. I kind of have this nostalgic, sad feeling like I'm missing out on seeing what these characters turn into. It's the same feeling I got when I finished the final Harry Potter book.

I tried watching the first episode of season 3, but the cast change is really throwing me off. I just wanted more Sid and Cassie and Tony. :(
It's best to just pretend Skins was over after season 2. Complete loving travesty what they did to an amazing show.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I'm currently going through The Shield which is, of course, fantastic. I'm up to season 5 and I have to say this: Forest Whitaker is either a tremendous actor or the biggest douchebag on the planet, because I'm the least violent guy you're ever likely to meet and I really, really want to puch him in the face every single time he shows up on screen.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
The last couple weeks I recently binged through How I Met Your Mother, it really solidified itself as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The only downside is that the first 1-3 seasons are pretty much a constant stream of condensed hilarity while 4-5 aren't even close.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rueish posted:

The last couple weeks I recently binged through How I Met Your Mother, it really solidified itself as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The only downside is that the first 1-3 seasons are pretty much a constant stream of condensed hilarity while 4-5 aren't even close.

My wife and I absolutely love How I Met Your Mother -- it's one of the only shows we've ever been able to agree on. I hate to sound like a cliche, but we ARE Marshall and Lily, through and through. Unfortunately, we're catching up on Season 5 on DVD now, and despite some random funny moments, I agree that it is nowhere near as consistent as the first few seasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rueish posted:

Agree 100%, and sadly the current sixth season hasn't done much to alleviate my concerns. I really do think it's turning into Scrubs 2.0, and just hope it gets one last awesome season to send it off for good like Scrubs did (season 9 never happened). HIMYM more than any other sitcom in recent memory would have benefited so much from having a nice, tightly written plan of how they would start and end.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Completely done with Veronica Mars now. The last season wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on goon reaction. There wasn't anything in it nearly as bad as the season 2 finale. I didn't like that they ended the way they did (Must not have known for sure they were getting cancelled since they wrapped up every huge loose end but left a few character relationships in shambles).

I thought the dean was awesome, he was an extremely likeable rear end and the fact that he warmed up to Veronica much faster than the principal from the first two seasons was awesome.

Also I would say the one thing I am disappointed in is that they filled me with so much hope when Eli was trying to find a job and Veronica had her father hire him. Then he was an awesome PI and I really wish they hadn't fired him from that job in the same episode. He was fun to watch because he seemed to be happy doing it, and I really like that character a whole bunch. I was hoping he would take over Veronica's spot in the business.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I just finished Veronica Mars.

That said, the third season made me uncomfortable with how willing it was to do the whole "victim of rape is actually lying" trope. Maybe it's just because a combination of people under-reporting rapes (a popular statistic is that about 5% of rapes are actually reported to police) while false accusations get over-represented in the media, but I found myself rolling my eyes a lot at the cartoonishly over-the-top feminist man-haters and how in the end they were all lying.

I thought only one of the victims was lying. There were definitely other victims, as Mac's roommate was raped and provided clues, and Veronica found a bunch of hair samples.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Spaced

Pretty loving funny for being a decade old topical comedy. Lots of nerdy references to keep me happy.

drat you Phantom Menace! :argh:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Spaced

Pretty loving funny for being a decade old topical comedy. Lots of nerdy references to keep me happy.

Hawk the Slayer is rubbish!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Nate RFB posted:

Agree 100%, and sadly the current sixth season hasn't done much to alleviate my concerns. I really do think it's turning into Scrubs 2.0, and just hope it gets one last awesome season to send it off for good like Scrubs did (season 9 never happened). HIMYM more than any other sitcom in recent memory would have benefited so much from having a nice, tightly written plan of how they would start and end.
There's going to be a season finale where they finally show how he met the mother. But then the next season premiere will reveal that were only married for a year then got divorced without having any kids. Show will be retooled and renamed "How I Remarried Your Mother".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Phantom Menace was 11 years ago, Tim!

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Borh posted:

I'm currently going through The Shield which is, of course, fantastic. I'm up to season 5 and I have to say this: Forest Whitaker is either a tremendous actor or the biggest douchebag on the planet, because I'm the least violent guy you're ever likely to meet and I really, really want to puch him in the face every single time he shows up on screen.

I just started (I'm on season 1) and I can't believe I haven't watched this show before.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Spaced

The wife and I just finished this series, and we absolutely loved it.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I'd like to share. :)
I occasionally like to enjoy Fantasy/Action television, almost half-serious, because the budgets usually only allow for terrible CG or really facile and uncomplicated confrontations. Everything is smaller scale, you know?
So after I finished Legend of the Seeker (it should really only be watched for Bruce Spence, and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone) and Terminator: SCC (another campy favorite of mine that isn't without big flaws) I decided to start working on Highlander: The Series.
There is sort of a bittersweet nostalgia to everything, because there are still fan-sites and forums dedicated to these shows and others that lasted even less (Highlander at least has 6 seasons, 5 of them reportedly watchable) that are hopeful for renewals or spin-offs, video games, detailing every event and new project that the actors attached to that show are currently doing. It really blows my mind.

So, Highlander. Firstly, there were a few games made for it (Amiga, CDi I think was the animated game) but why not something PSX era and on? It's pretty much a video game plot. There's been 5 movies now, a full-length anime that was quite good, and a cartoon series. The cartoon manages to incorporate Connor (Lambert) being killed in the first episode and was pretty violent for the time, the enemy sometimes remarking that the main character's head will "roll at his feet as did Connor's".
Anyway, I'm kind of getting off-topic because I haven't really found anyone who cares to listen to this, so it wouldn't make me feel bad if you skipped it. About the show anyway...

- It's 90's as gently caress. Ponytails, purple shirts, turtlenecks, jorts, green leather jackets, sweet guitar riffs, and overt humor circa 1992.
- It's one of the last and only TV shows to actually be released in it's entirety on VHS with 2 episodes per tape (there's around 117 episodes, so that's alot of loving tapes).
- It has a reputation as one of the most violent shows of the day, and a pretty good reputation despite 7.5ish scale on IMDB.
Guys, if you've never watched the show, you should. It's pretty entertaining for the time. I tend to get bored whenever the show isn't focused on "The Game" and Immortals and swordfights, but it doesn't disappoint. It's one of the strangest shows I've seen --

The potential for the concept is so great, though. Since the main character has lived 400+ years blending into mortal society (way more effectively than any vampire fiction you've seen/read probably) there are a ton of great flashbacks to different eras. Adrian Paul was hired because he's a martial artist and not an actor, so the choreography tends to pretty good, and there are a ton of weird "celebrity" guests (the lead singer from the Fine Young Cannibals for example...)

Watching this show is like a fever dream sometimes. I'm only at the end of season 1, but inexplicably in the middle of the season after introducing a bunch of minor characters in the fictional portmanteau of "Seacouver" (Seattle+Vancouver), the ENTIRE SHOW ups and moves to France. FRANCE. Not just the setting of the show, but production itself, so now all the actors are European.

Digital Scumbag fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 30, 2010

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Currently going through Burn Notice, Lost Girl and Rubicon.

They're respectively entertaining, disappointing and stylish.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just started on Better off Ted and Breaking Bad. I quite like them both. But for some reason each episode of Breaking Bad seems 3 hours long, and I can't seem to get through it in one sitting, even though I am enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I just finished Planetes which is definitely one of the better animes that I have seen. Now, I think I'll probably watch the rest of Cosmos and after that, The X-Files.

Planning ahead!