Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Bavius posted:

Sweet. I'll be sure to post up my first model once I get the airbrush. I've got a stompa that is staring at me as I type. Also have a baneblade that I dreaded putting together just because I couldn't fathom painting it.

First suggestion is to get some plasticard and practice with it. Practice spraying wide, spraying small, and most importantly, spraying evenly. Learn what consistency works best with your favorite paint.

Airbrushes are great. You'll never have to pay for overpriced varnish again, you'll never dread painting tanks, and once you get good enough you can make and spray your own primer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I have 22+ tanks, 3 Sentinels, and a Valkyrie to paint. I'm a beginning painter so detail isn't really what I'm shooting for, and the army is Steel Legion so the camo scheme isn't going to be too crazy. Would the airbrush he linked be good for me? Besides how the paint is fed and the needle size are there really any differences between airbrushes?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
From what I've been hearing and reading, you want the dual action. How it feeds doesn't seem as important, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from those who took the time to struggle through it first.

Masking tape and poster putty should be pretty slick for helping out with camo. That's straight out of the GW painting tanks book.

EDIT: Just bought it. Excited.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 26, 2010

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

I have 22+ tanks, 3 Sentinels, and a Valkyrie to paint. I'm a beginning painter so detail isn't really what I'm shooting for, and the army is Steel Legion so the camo scheme isn't going to be too crazy. Would the airbrush he linked be good for me? Besides how the paint is fed and the needle size are there really any differences between airbrushes?

There are huge differences with different kinds of airbrushes. If you're just starting out, don't go super cheap but don't spend $500. You want to look for something that's double action, internal mix. Gravity fed vs bottom fed is up to you. I have a bottom fed airbrush but I'm beginning to think a gravity fed one would suit me better. Airbrush kits that come with a compressor, pressure regulator and a water trap are also great for beginner.

As long as you don't get something that uses air cans and is single action you should be good to go.

There's a pretty good airbrush guide that I wrote here. Again I remind you that I'm far from an expert. I just do a lot of reading and playing with my current airbrush. But it's a good starting point.

Now that I re-read that, I realized I never wrote the guide on how to make your own glossy/matte/flat varnish. I should get on that soon.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

HKR posted:

Now that I re-read that, I realized I never wrote the guide on how to make your own glossy/matte/flat varnish. I should get on that soon.

Would be very interested in this!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished another one. Only 2 more to go :negative:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey dudes here is a deff dread:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Baller.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
I want it inside of me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hell yes

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Been working on this fella recently getting kinda bored now :(
I have been trying to use washes as much as possible with this fella, armour, flesh, flames, scroll and weapons were all washed.

Also been experimenting with some Matt medium and its really starting to grow on me, think I will start using it with pretty much all my mixes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

HKR posted:

There are huge differences with different kinds of airbrushes. If you're just starting out, don't go super cheap but don't spend $500. You want to look for something that's double action, internal mix. Gravity fed vs bottom fed is up to you. I have a bottom fed airbrush but I'm beginning to think a gravity fed one would suit me better. Airbrush kits that come with a compressor, pressure regulator and a water trap are also great for beginner.

As long as you don't get something that uses air cans and is single action you should be good to go.

There's a pretty good airbrush guide that I wrote here. Again I remind you that I'm far from an expert. I just do a lot of reading and playing with my current airbrush. But it's a good starting point.

I love you HKR for this guide but where do you buy your Mr. Surfacer 1200 and Mr. Color Leveling Thinner? I can't find that poo poo anywhere

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Phyresis posted:

I love you HKR for this guide but where do you buy your Mr. Surfacer 1200 and Mr. Color Leveling Thinner? I can't find that poo poo anywhere

Places that deal in a lot of japanese models tend to sell em, as Mr. Hobby is a japanese brand. Us distributors get kinda boned because they all get their Mr. Hobby supplies from one distributor, and the entire nation tends to run of out stock before they get restocked.

There's a few sellers on amazon that have some.

Hobby Wave has 1200 in stock, but no leveling thinner.

When I find a place that has a batch of both I tend to buy as much as I can afford since I don't know when I'll be able to get another supply.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

HKR posted:

Places that deal in a lot of japanese models tend to sell em, as Mr. Hobby is a japanese brand. Us distributors get kinda boned because they all get their Mr. Hobby supplies from one distributor, and the entire nation tends to run of out stock before they get restocked.

There's a few sellers on amazon that have some.

Hobby Wave has 1200 in stock, but no leveling thinner.

When I find a place that has a batch of both I tend to buy as much as I can afford since I don't know when I'll be able to get another supply.

Awesome bro. Do you have any tips for using Mr. Surfacer to actually fill gaps for 40k models? This is completely new territory for me here. I'd like to fill the gaps in my Rhinos and such.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Daaaaaaamn.

That Deffdred is amazing.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
If I clearcoat my minis because I think they are done, then decide I want more detail on something later, can I just paint over the varnish? (I'm thinking about things like the gems on my Menoth minis.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pfhreak posted:

If I clearcoat my minis because I think they are done, then decide I want more detail on something later, can I just paint over the varnish? (I'm thinking about things like the gems on my Menoth minis.)

I do this all the time. Just varnish them again afterwards.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Phyresis posted:

Awesome bro. Do you have any tips for using Mr. Surfacer to actually fill gaps for 40k models? This is completely new territory for me here. I'd like to fill the gaps in my Rhinos and such.

Sure thing. I'm building a Baneblade right now and I'm using Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer (Akin to Mr Surfacer 500)to fill gaps.

Here are the notorious fuel barrels on the Baneblade. To fill that gap, GW suggests you use greenstuff, which is not the best tool for this job (Greenstuff is great for filling gaps in metal models, or for sculpting, not for filling small gaps on plastic).

The best thing to do is glue the pieces as tight as possible with plastic glue, letting the plastic melt and bond the pieces as best as possible. After it dries, paint on a line of Mr Surfacer (Or any other liquid gap filler), let it dry, then sand.

If the gap line is still visible, add another layer of surfacer and try again.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If any U.S. dudes have a Michael's near you, they have a pretty nice Ottlite adjustable desk lamp for $22, marked down from $60. Nice bright, natural light and super adjustable. Also has a nice weighted base which helps when my klutzy rear end inevitably bumps it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HKR posted:

Sure thing. I'm building a Baneblade right now and I'm using Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer (Akin to Mr Surfacer 500)to fill gaps.

Here are the notorious fuel barrels on the Baneblade. To fill that gap, GW suggests you use greenstuff, which is not the best tool for this job (Greenstuff is great for filling gaps in metal models, or for sculpting, not for filling small gaps on plastic).

The best thing to do is glue the pieces as tight as possible with plastic glue, letting the plastic melt and bond the pieces as best as possible. After it dries, paint on a line of Mr Surfacer (Or any other liquid gap filler), let it dry, then sand.

How long until GW has its own liquid gap filler but at three times the price and only half the volume?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

How long until GW has its own liquid gap filler but at three times the price and only half the volume?

Never because the poo poo is highly toxic and you can probably get high off the fumes.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

HKR posted:

Cool, I can get Tamiya stuff from the local hobby store. I'm pretty sure they have Liquid Surface Primer.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I need a gimmick to stuff inside this baneblade. There is way too much empty space in it to not use it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HKR posted:

I need a gimmick to stuff inside this baneblade. There is way too much empty space in it to not use it.

Fill it with Boston Cream.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any idea what this metal thing is?

It'll make for a nice "destroyed chemtank" thing I think, but I have no idea wtf it is. I'd like to get one or two more unbroken ones for additional scenery. The broken one I have, my wife found half buried while doing some yard work.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phyresis posted:

Cool, I can get Tamiya stuff from the local hobby store. I'm pretty sure they have Liquid Surface Primer.

Tamiya also sells a white paste that I'm sure is the same thing, but for filling larger holes. I would use it to fill the gaps on Gundam kits.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fyrbrand posted:

It'll make for a nice "destroyed chemtank" thing I think, but I have no idea wtf it is. I'd like to get one or two more unbroken ones for additional scenery. The broken one I have, my wife found half buried while doing some yard work.

Looks like an old metal cap for something, probably an electrical junction box cover meant for exposure to weather.

Also, nice Dogbert mug. :smugdog:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Looks like it could be what's left of a small motor, like so:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

HKR posted:

A small mp3-player with a speaker. You can get some engine noise on tape or play ride of the valkyrie or something the crew would listen to while you drive the tank around. Some russian choir music would sound pretty imperialistic.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

HKR posted:

Fill it with lead shot, glue it all so that it doesn't rattle. That way it can crush terrain and lesser minis, and you can throw it opponents who get too beardy.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Fyrbrand posted:

it's your sump pump. your basement is now filled with your poop. congrats.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So this is how my cold ones are looking at the moment.

Imagine this x8 for the whole group and you get an idea of what they are looking like. I am thinking of doing one more highlight on the fleshy bits. The flesh is Chardonite Granite (or whatever it is called, the foundation paint) base, adding Coat D'Arms Putrid Green (Rotting Flesh GW) for the highlights.

I still haven't decided how to paint my acrtual dark elves, so that is why I started with the cold ones because. I am thinking black highlighted with green, sort of like the new dark eldar are done, or with purple.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Big Willy Style posted:

Imagine this x8 for the whole group and you get an idea of what they are looking like. I am thinking of doing one more highlight on the fleshy bits. The flesh is Chardonite Granite (or whatever it is called, the foundation paint) base, adding Coat D'Arms Putrid Green (Rotting Flesh GW) for the highlights.

I still haven't decided how to paint my acrtual dark elves, so that is why I started with the cold ones because. I am thinking black highlighted with green, sort of like the new dark eldar are done, or with purple.

That looks awesome, is it just drybrushed? Works well on that sculpt if so. For your actual elves I would go with purple, the cold ones have those yellow undertones which complements purple well. Green might look a little christmas-y.

To the guy a few posts above trying to identify that terrain piece: Looks like a pump to me too, you could probably pick up a few for really cheap from a plumbing supply store. If they don't have them I guarantee you will walk away with something anyway, plumbing shops have so much poo poo that is perfect for terrain and bits.

AbdominalSnowman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 28, 2010

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Big Willy Style posted:

These own.

And yes, use a purple. Green will look too jarring.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

~Cross posting from the SA Mart~

I've recently gotten into Warhammer Fantasy and want to sell my Malifaux stuff since no one at my shop plays it.

Click here for the full 1024x627 image.

Sorry for the poor-quality photo.

Models:
1 Dr. Victor Ramos
1 Steamborg Executioner
2 Steampunk Arachnid Swarms

1 Rasputina
1 Ice Golemn (I still to glue his arms on, as seen in the photo)
3 Ice Gamin

1 Injun Joss
1 Electrical Creation
1 Brass Arachnid
2 December Acolytes

Rasputina's not in the photo since she's the only model not assembled / painted. I've also got a few spare bases I can throw in, in addition to some crappy self-made arachnids. I've never used green stuff before, and now after trying to make stuff I probably never will use it again. Looking for $50 for everything.

Post back here if you're interested, I don't have the PM upgrade for the forums.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just wrapped up another Iron Warriors squad:

Closeup of the OSL on the plasma gun:

Can see that lighting a bit better here:

And here's another closeup of the glow from when the model was still WIP:

I'm super happy with the gold, and the OSL was an interesting thing to try out. I don't think I'd do it for every model, but it's pretty fun! Next up are a rhino and a Warsmith.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
^^
Really digging those Iron Warriors. I think the models would stand out a bit better if you had a lighter shade of base. Maybe chardon granite drybrushed with lgiht greys then dheneb stone would do the trick.

AbdominalSnowman posted:

That looks awesome, is it just drybrushed? Works well on that sculpt if so. For your actual elves I would go with purple, the cold ones have those yellow undertones which complements purple well. Green might look a little christmas-y.

To the guy a few posts above trying to identify that terrain piece: Looks like a pump to me too, you could probably pick up a few for really cheap from a plumbing supply store. If they don't have them I guarantee you will walk away with something anyway, plumbing shops have so much poo poo that is perfect for terrain and bits.

The scales are essentially just drybrushed/overbrushed, the rest is layered. I am toying with a gold armour at the moment, with green and purple washes and dark purple cloth to compliment I think. It is essentially yellow and purple colour combo then, and that should be fairly striking.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 29, 2010

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Those are some sweet Iron Warriors dude, keep up the good work!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hey. Who likes Tau? I like Tau. Let's get some Tau in here.

I just finished a bunch and thought you all would enjoy a Tau Bomb. No? Well, too bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NecronSchmecron posted:

This Catachan is the coolest guy.

• Locked thread