Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just a picture will do, most of us can recognise paper and suchlike.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Steakandchips posted:

Just a picture will do, most of us can recognise paper and suchlike.

See the OP. Honestly, I miss the labelings from earlier this thread.

fake edit: my fav

JudgeFerrariBravo
Apr 2, 2010

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Kind of a repost but i recently bought some LED strips to light things up

Really happy with how it turned out

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Isn't it supposed to be more ergonomic if the top surface of the screen is eye-level? I imagine it's quite uncomfortable having to stare at a monitor on a raised platform..

When I had my monitor that way, I noticed I was always slumping in my chair. I raised the monitor so my eye is even with 3/4s of the way up the screen and it works great.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Randuin posted:

Kind of a repost but i recently bought some LED strips to light things up

Really happy with how it turned out

Any link to the product you used? I like the idea of using a low-wattage LED strip instead of my corner lamp with 40W CFLs in it. Not sure how I'll use it, though, sine I don't have a keyboard tray.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I actually made it through Black Friday without spending money. Unfortunately, I was not as lucky early Saturday morning.

(Yes, I need to dust and paint this room)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ok furniture nerds, I need some help.

I just moved my equipment onto a new workspace and I'm looking for some kind of single shelf/desk riser that I can put on top of my desk and will give me another plane of desk space on top while giving me a little storage alcove below. I've got a big MIDI keyboard that I'd like to store on my desk top but can only make it fit if there's something I can stack my monitors on to.

Anyone have any suggestions? Preferably the desk riser would run the length of my desk and would elevate thing maybe 6 or 7 inches. Is there a particular name for this kind of desk accessory? Been looking everywhere and can't find what I need. Thanks!

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Click here for the full 979x586 image.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Part of your office appears to be merging with the Underverse. :ohdear:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
having a mr coffee on your desk prolly owns
at the office its like being the guy with the nice bong at his place

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

B-Nasty posted:

Any link to the product you used? I like the idea of using a low-wattage LED strip instead of my corner lamp with 40W CFLs in it. Not sure how I'll use it, though, sine I don't have a keyboard tray.

Some LED lightstrips I found for clearance at Albertsons, was 17 for the longer strip in the keyboard tray and 14 for the shorter one which I command stripped to the back of my 30" ACD. All turned out very pleasing

Easymode
Dec 18, 2005

Valve: "The DOTA community is not "toxic", almost entirely "hardcore".
So much
living like poo poo
:fry:

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Abe Froman posted:

I actually made it through Black Friday without spending money. Unfortunately, I was not as lucky early Saturday morning.

(Yes, I need to dust and paint this room)

So, how the hell do you use that? Playing games on a big TV up close is loving death on my eyes. (Looks like a 32"?)

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

Randuin posted:

Some LED lightstrips I found for clearance at Albertsons, was 17 for the longer strip in the keyboard tray and 14 for the shorter one which I command stripped to the back of my 30" ACD. All turned out very pleasing

Forgive my ignorance, I found a site that sells LED strips by the reel. I'm interested in purchasing some, but how do you power them? I just see the reels for sale. I'm completely ignorant in this category. Obviously they need some sort of power source? Also a switch to turn them on/off? How does that work?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

When I had my monitor that way, I noticed I was always slumping in my chair. I raised the monitor so my eye is even with 3/4s of the way up the screen and it works great.

This is about right. Specifically you are supposed to put the monitor top a couple inches above eye level so you can look straight on. if you put the top at eye level you still have to look down a lot.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Forgive my ignorance, I found a site that sells LED strips by the reel. I'm interested in purchasing some, but how do you power them? I just see the reels for sale. I'm completely ignorant in this category. Obviously they need some sort of power source? Also a switch to turn them on/off? How does that work?

The ones I got were for under cabinet lighting and they have a switch on them and you just connect them to a standard power socket

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Juriko posted:

This is about right. Specifically you are supposed to put the monitor top a couple inches above eye level so you can look straight on. if you put the top at eye level you still have to look down a lot.

Yeah but that's the point, looking down is supposed to be more comfortable than looking straight ahead..

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'm assuming this would be the thread to ask: does anyone have any solid gaming desk recommendations for a 30 inch monitor?

Baby needs a new pair of everything.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Le Sean posted:

I'm assuming this would be the thread to ask: does anyone have any solid gaming desk recommendations for a 30 inch monitor?

Baby needs a new pair of everything.

Depending on how big you want/can fit the desk, the ikea fredrik would do that just fine.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

JerseyMonkey posted:

So, how the hell do you use that? Playing games on a big TV up close is loving death on my eyes. (Looks like a 32"?)

I like to sit sorta far from my keyboard and lean back into my chair, so I end up around 3ft away - still taking a little getting used to. It was only a few bucks more than a 32" 720p I was looking at so I figured why not go for 5 more inches and 1080p. The whole point of going large was that my desk is located in a spare bedroom and my plans were to replace the bed with a couch in order to turn the room into more of a den/study, so I wanted it to be large enough for that purpose too. I still may take it back since it is rather big to use as a computer monitor.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Re-post of my desk, now with a proper picture. :)

Noveau bureau.. :) by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 10, 2010

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

IsaacNewton posted:

How is that phone dock working for you? I kind of want to get one for my Droid X at work.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

HandsomeBen posted:

How is that phone dock working for you? I kind of want to get one for my Droid X at work.

It's fine but one thing's bugging me; I don't know why but I can't get the phone to keep the display on when its plugged in my computer. It's ok when It's plugged into the wall outlet adapter though.. *shrug* I like having the phone angled like that with the clock, it's classy! Plus it can also keep a second battery charged. The LEDs on it are loving annoying. I just taped them off like 10 minutes ago.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

My old phone did that - USB thru the PC it would go into some goofy rear end sync mode. PLugged into a wall it stayed OK. Gotta be something going over the other (non-power) wires that triggers it

Anyway, here's my hole

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Cuddly Coach posted:

My old phone did that - USB thru the PC it would go into some goofy rear end sync mode. PLugged into a wall it stayed OK. Gotta be something going over the other (non-power) wires that triggers it

Anyway, here's my hole

I see you tape your contacts on your polycom in the same spot I do.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
Whole:

Click here for the full 1306x868 image.

Particular:

Click here for the full 1774x1180 image.

livin' like poo poo

Yesterday i broke a really cool UV light :(.

lovely pictures, i still have to get used to the camera, but i hope they get they idea across :)

Anyway, some pages back someone brought up a program that let you use 2 pc with only one monitor, as the other pc is a mac i can't use the remote desktop utilty, and i don't want to skim through 80 pages to find the name, so i ask to you guys if someone knows it :).

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Horrido posted:

Anyway, some pages back someone brought up a program that let you use 2 pc with only one monitor, as the other pc is a mac i can't use the remote desktop utilty, and i don't want to skim through 80 pages to find the name, so i ask to you guys if someone knows it :).

CoRD: remote desktop so you can see your Windows screen on your Mac screen.
http://cord.sourceforge.net/

Also Microsoft makes an official one:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Horrido posted:

In addition to chimz suggestions there's Synergy 2.

Edit: Ok, ignore that - mine is the exact opposite of what you want to do (2 computers, 1 keyboard/mouse).

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

So, is it safe to put a 24" monitor on top of an xbox360 ?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bret Hart posted:

So, is it safe to put a 24" monitor on top of an xbox360 ?

I'm not sure I have a picture of it right now (might be one back in this thread somewhere), but I've been running a 24" Gateway on top of my 360 for over a year now. Works really well, to be honest.

E. I don't have a picture of it in this thread, but I can take one when I get home later to give you an idea.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Yeah just wanted to know if it'd make the xbox overheat or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I want to make a monitor stand like the ikea one posted earlier, but I only want it an inch or two off the desk. Can anyone think of a creative idea for me?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

kri kri posted:

I want to make a monitor stand like the ikea one posted earlier, but I only want it an inch or two off the desk. Can anyone think of a creative idea for me?

When I was in college, I used two bricks and a plank of wood. You could probably make something look nicer with a little bit of money or effort.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bret Hart posted:

Yeah just wanted to know if it'd make the xbox overheat or something.

I haven't had any issues like that with mine.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

IsaacNewton posted:

What kind of monitor mount is that? And what are the sizes of those monitors?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

It's an ergotron, dual monitor from 2008 ish, their newer version have a wider desk base which makes them a lot more stable than mine.

The monitors are 24"; Dell U2410. :)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Getting the new desk space organized now that my TV stand (aka desk shelf) came in the mail. Initially I was searching for a "desk riser" on Amazon, just something I could put my laptop and monitor on top of so I'd have more desk space, but after much searching it seemed like a TV stand was what I really needed.

I've got my MIDI keyboard living under there that I can pull out when I record music. Maybe my next improvement will be adding a keyboard tray under the desktop so I can keep the MIDI keyboard out all the time. This desk originally had a keyboard drawer but I ended up removing it because it would squash my knees (I am tall).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleenmaster
Jul 15, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

wandler20 posted:

Got my new desk installed in my little home office today. I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out. So nice to have an actual solid desk. Some minor adjustments/cable management are in order but this is basically it.

Please tell us what desk this is / where you got it.