Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mobo85 posted:

MAD is only 15 minutes long.
!

I retract my statement and stand in full support of MAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

So was Firebreather any good? I caught a couple seconds here and there, and the dragon/dad walking animation was embarrassingly bad.

I also saw a preview where the kid was running from some bullies, and he was leaving them in the dust with his superhuman agility while somehow they were simultaneously almost catching up with him.

You've obviously never seen any parkour movies. That's always how it works. E.G. District B13.

Anyways, I enjoyed it. There's some difference from the comic that bugged me, and the animation is a bit odd at times, but as a whole it was entertaining.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Really? Mr. Bigot? How do they cram that character into a kids' cartoon?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My favorite is how they follow Mr. Bigot with The Sneaky Arab :allears:

Really? I thought he looked more like a Sneaky Jew--ah, but he's a genie, so you're right.

Well, either way, he's a Sneaky Semite.

Oh, and I'll be damned, but MAD actually made me chuckle with the Avatar and Bambi parodies. The incessant yukking over Justin Beiber needs to stop, though, because it's gotten old.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 30, 2010

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Really? I thought he looked more like a Sneaky Jew--ah, but he's a genie, so you're right.

Well, either way, he's a Sneaky Semite.

Oh, and I'll be damned, but MAD actually made me chuckle with the Avatar and Bambi parodies. The incessant yukking over Justin Beiber needs to stop, though, because it's gotten old.

I heard this applied to something else, so I can't take credit for it, but it applies for Mad as well.

Watching Mad is like digging through poo poo to find diamonds. In the end you're covered in poo poo, so nobody sticks around to see your diamonds.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Magnus Condomus posted:

I heard this applied to something else, so I can't take credit for it, but it applies for Mad as well.

Watching Mad is like digging through poo poo to find diamonds. In the end you're covered in poo poo, so nobody sticks around to see your diamonds.

I think I dig through the poo poo because the diamond on the other side is Robotomy ;).

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Alright, I mostly really like Mystery Inc, but there's a glaring problem that makes it hard to enjoy, and I didn't realize it until just recently;
Velma is completely unlikable.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

The Steak Justice posted:

Alright, I mostly really like Mystery Inc, but there's a glaring problem that makes it hard to enjoy, and I didn't realize it until just recently;

You know, I think you're exactly right. While I sort of enjoy the Velma, Shaggy, Scooby triangle, Velma just seems to be too desperate for it to be cute anymore.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
I only read 4-5 of the 21+ pages of this thread. But The Penguins of Madagascar is drat funny.

It's not subtle or anything, just a guilty pleasure, it's like the Burn Notice of cartoons.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

The Steak Justice posted:

I think the big problem with the show is that it's trying too hard to make fun of the Scooby formula and focus on the relationships between the characters that the basic "four kids and a dog solving mysteries" premise is given the backseat to it. For a show with "Scooby-Doo" in the title, Scooby himself- usually the comic relief- is given surprisingly little to do.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to watch the new My Little Pony show. It's not the best animated thing out there, but it is cute, has decent voice acting, and is way better than it deserves to be. :shobon:

Turns out Lauren Faust is responsible for it, so that explains why it has a Powerpuff Girls-ish look to it. Check it out if you have some time to kill.

I read through this whole thread and I don't believe I've seen any mention of Mighty Max. Has anyone else here watched it? It was pretty hardcore for a kids' show and was pretty heavy in the end. The toys were pretty :black101: as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Liam Acerbus posted:

I read through this whole thread and I don't believe I've seen any mention of Mighty Max. Has anyone else here watched it? It was pretty hardcore for a kids' show and was pretty heavy in the end. The toys were pretty :black101: as well.

The magic reset button "here we go again!" ending loving sucked though.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

raditts posted:

Oh, definitely. I guess in theory, Max knew more than he did to start out with, so he could change how things go down as the series repeats.

It's a shame we weren't given a Mighty Max movie. I believe one was in Development Hell for a while.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Liam Acerbus posted:

Yesss, I actually went back and watched some old uploads on Youtube and I am really glad that it was so good, because I loved it as a kid. Also, the toys were absolutely brutal, so needless to say I collected them all, though I could never find the Dragon's Keep playset.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The mighty max toys looked awesome but were not very fun. You can't do much with that little space, man. I need BIG ADVENTURES not pocket-sized adventures

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Sockser posted:

The mighty max toys looked awesome but were not very fun. You can't do much with that little space, man. I need BIG ADVENTURES not pocket-sized adventures

With enough imagination they were fun as hell. They made up for their size by being so numerous.
Also there were the playsets that were basically action figures so you could use them with your bigger toys.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Annie Award nominees are up

Also, according to that list Peter Chung directed Firebreather :psyduck:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

bondster posted:

I haven't put much trust in the Annies after they started selling out to whoever sponsors them/and or buys the most votes.

Just looking at their sponsor list, we can pretty much expect Dreamworks to win in most of their categories, and Nickelodeon to win in theirs.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Disney boycotted the Annies in part because they thought they were biased against DreamWorks. So it's odd that they still have some nominations.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

mobo85 posted:

Disney boycotted the Annies in part because they thought they were biased against DreamWorks. So it's odd that they still have some nominations.

Dreamworks has like 15 nominations. Disney/Pixar has like 3.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bondster posted:

The Simpsons, really?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

It's a fairly clever way to end a show that loops endlessly in syndication, though: they're not reruns kids, it's just Max and his friends continuing their adventures!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a fairly clever way to end a show that loops endlessly in syndication, though: they're not reruns kids, it's just Max and his friends continuing their adventures!

You'd think that Max would slowly go insane after going through the same adventures and watching all his friends die over and over again. It'd be pretty awesome if they made a few runs of the show that were basically the same episodes, but Max started getting a little off-kilter, until eventually he's mouthing along to Skullmaster's grandiose speeches.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
This is going to be an actual cartoon on Cartoon Network.

It's like they've decided Flash is too costly and they went all the way down to MS Paint to animate this.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Circutron posted:

It's like they've decided Flash is too costly and they went all the way down to MS Paint to animate this.

Is this from Matt Furie? The originator of the "Feels Good, Man" strip? Looks just like his style.

FAKE EDIT: Looks like it's not....Totally looks like it though. That aesthetic is all him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Circutron posted:

They've had worse poo poo on As before, 12 Oz Mouse and Tom Goes to the Mayor for example. This is for AS right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Circutron posted:

Looks about on par for most Adult Swim poo poo to me.
I think this is the first time I've seen a Youtube video with more dislikes than likes.

Life is Eat and Die
Apr 15, 2001
Reading the knee jerk youtube comments makes me sad. Haters gonna hate. Is Problem Solverz for everybody? No. But at least CN is trying different things. If they hadn't hit rock bottom in 2009 they probably never would have given an undeground dude like Ben Jones his own show. The artistic risks they're taking are ballsy as all hell.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

IRQ posted:

They've had worse poo poo on As before, 12 Oz Mouse and Tom Goes to the Mayor for example. This is for AS right?

Wikipedia says it used to be called Neon Knome and was going to be on AS, but was retooled for Cartoon Network.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Really, this show doesn't bother me that much, its just the premise seems like it's trying to be a really low-budget Adventure Time. Also, Jesus, I don't care if the character designs are terribly hideous, could they turn down the neon a bit on that show? I'm having to re-adjust my monitor settings to not burn out my eyes.

fake edit:

Magnus Condomus posted:

Wikipedia says it used to be called Neon Knome and was going to be on AS, but was retooled for Cartoon Network.

Suddenly it makes sense now. It was going to be Adventure Time for AS, but apparently at some point... now it isn't?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TwoPair posted:

Also, Jesus, I don't care if the character designs are terribly hideous, could they turn down the neon a bit on that show?

See, all I'm thinking when I watch it is, "The writing isn't so hot, but at least it's...intensely colorful to look at? :350:"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The writing might not be the best but it doesn't just have the characters repeating two or three phrases at an extremely slow pace for fifteen minutes and is thus nowhere near as bad as many of its Adult Swim original counterparts.

edit: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 11, 2010

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

righting

Look at this, just watching that Youtube clip has made you dumber.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Strange Matter posted:

Wasn't there a kid who bolted out of the entire temple when a temple guard caught him/her?

Yes, and they were the one who posted the "Ask me about being on NICK Game Shows" thread a while back

Diabolik900 posted:

I just found out earlier today that every episode of Beakman's World is now on Netflix Watch Instantly. This was some of the greatest news I ever heard because a) this was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and b) they answered a question of mine once, and even after 15 years, syndicated re-runs, and the power of the internet, I never managed to see it until now. Beakman even made a stupid rhyme out of my last name!

I can't be the only one here who liked Beakman better than Bill Nye, can I?

Holy balls on ice, I need netflix now

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 12, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I didn't see the Problem Solverz link so I googled Neon Knome and found it online and it is scary. I thought that was what they were going to show to children and it would cause nightmares for a generation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Life is Eat and Die posted:

Reading the knee jerk youtube comments makes me sad. Haters gonna hate. Is Problem Solverz for everybody? No. But at least CN is trying different things. If they hadn't hit rock bottom in 2009 they probably never would have given an undeground dude like Ben Jones his own show. The artistic risks they're taking are ballsy as all hell.

I think it's hilarious. Also who does the voices of the main dudes, they all sound familiar.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Liam Acerbus posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to watch the new My Little Pony show. It's not the best animated thing out there, but it is cute, has decent voice acting, and is way better than it deserves to be. :shobon:

Turns out Lauren Faust is responsible for it, so that explains why it has a Powerpuff Girls-ish look to it. Check it out if you have some time to kill.

I unironically really like that show. Part of it is my animation nerd self geeking out over Lauren Faust and the great use of Flash, part of it is being impressed with how they're making one of those very rare shows aimed at girls that's not only well written, but delivers morals about friendship to kids without being kitschy or saccharine about it, and part of it is the fact that it's just plain funny and endearing on a level I'm a little weirded out to discover.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I enjoy something as cute and colorful as this. I even added a couple of MLP toys to my yearly Christmas toy donation, just because I wanted to support the show. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Question: when and where can this pony show that is apparently pretty good be found? I haven't seen any advertising anywhere.