Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Apologies if this was posted, but "The Business of Being Born" is pretty great. I watched it last night and really enjoyed. :nws: for titties and babies popping out of vaginas. Unsure if it's online for free, but you can watch with a free trial of netflix.

If anyone knows any other good birth/baby related documentaries (other than Babies, and In the Womb), I'd love to hear.

Seconding "Business of Being Born." I also watched it last night (are you me?!) but I would've liked a little more information on hospital births. I felt like it was EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE HOME BIRTHS YEAH. I might have been seeing bias where the was none, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

kittiesgomeow posted:

Seconding "Business of Being Born." I also watched it last night (are you me?!) but I would've liked a little more information on hospital births. I felt like it was EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE HOME BIRTHS YEAH. I might have been seeing bias where the was none, however.

More like :nms: for seeing babies fly out of Ricki Lake's cooter in a bath tub...

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
My Flesh and Blood

This one is available on Netflix.

It tells the story of this single woman who adopted 11 children along with her 2 natural children and is raising them by herself. However, all of the adopted children have major mental or physical disabilities, some of them terminal.

This is no disney-esque single mother triumphs against all odds thing. The life she has chosen is not an easy one, and not easy for the kids either. My worst parenting day is like a vacation to Hawaii in comparison.

Its been a long time since I have cried from watching a movie, but this one had me sobbing. At the same time there are a lot of happy inspiring moments.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Begby posted:

My Flesh and Blood

This one is available on Netflix.

It tells the story of this single woman who adopted 11 children along with her 2 natural children and is raising them by herself. However, all of the adopted children have major mental or physical disabilities, some of them terminal.

This is no disney-esque single mother triumphs against all odds thing. The life she has chosen is not an easy one, and not easy for the kids either. My worst parenting day is like a vacation to Hawaii in comparison.

Its been a long time since I have cried from watching a movie, but this one had me sobbing. At the same time there are a lot of happy inspiring moments.

I ended up giving this one up half-way through. The mom seemed like a basket case who was lonely, missing her husband, and using the children to fill the void. Add to this the fact that she has no income and survives (from what I saw) on the government aid given to her children. Plus she makes her for reals daughter do all of the house work while she's "out", and that girl never got to choose her life, she's stuck doing all the laundry for kids that aren't hers and aren't related to her.

@kitties: Yeah, it did focus mainly on the home birth side of things, but I think the reason for this is that there are SO many shows on television that show you exactly what it's like to give birth in a hospital.

I didn't really mind that they went through so much trouble to show how things are with a midwife and a doula instead of doctors. I love that they bring up the fact that doctors seem to think that women are incapable of giving birth at home, when the majority of the world does it primarily that way.

I always wanted an epidural and to be given pitocin and an enema so I didn't poor on anyone, but I changed my mind years ago after taking a class taught by a midwife. I'm probably going to end up with one of those baby-pools in my living room, they seem nicer than trying to do that poo poo on your back (gently caress you gravity!) in the tub.

V I watched Thin on my own and had to watch it again for a class. I love it, and I really love that it gets at all the reasons people become anorexic. They all do so well in the clinic and mess up when they go back home out of that rigid environment. Polly died after it was filmed, I remember.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 24, 2010

Krasnaya
Sep 21, 2009

I'm surprised I didn't see this in the OP but maybe somebody already posted it, but I love the HBO Documentary Thin by Lauren Greenfield.

Here is the Wiki for information on the documentary.

Here is the link to Part I, you can find the rest in the related videos.

I suffer from an eating disorder and I just absolutely LOVE this documentary. It explains so much that many people do not understand about eating disorders. I also love the age variation--there's Brittany, who was 15 years old, and then there's even Polly who was nearly 30. It truly shows how eating disorders can be so much more than pro-ana teenage girls on LiveJournal.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Does anyone have any good documentaries on Canada or Canadian culture? I have Souvenir of Canada and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

Canada: A People's History

It's 17 episodes and 32 hours long or so, came out about 10 years ago or so. I'm not canadian and it held my interest back 6 years ago when I stumbled across it. I don't know where you'd find a copy, mine was :filez:.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Tiny Faye posted:

More like :nms: for seeing babies fly out of Ricki Lake's cooter in a bath tub...

That sounds like she speaks.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Just watched a great little documentary called The Cruise.

It's in HD on Netflix Streaming.

It follows a tour guide operator in 1998 New York as he talks about the city and his life philosophy in general. It was a lot more insightful than I thought it'd be. He has a great way of verbalizing of what it's like to live in an organism like NYC.

It's a little bit ego, little bit mental illness, and little bit brilliant!

It's got a 7.6/10 at IMDB. Pretty good.

The end with his confrontation with the Fire Door was loving awesome.

That's Tim Levitch, who's a pretty well-known (at this point) NYC personality. If you enjoyed the film, check out his turn in Waking Life, which for me is one of the highlights of the movie.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
Its about a old Afghan tradition of pederasty called bacha bazi where underage boys are made to dress as girls and dance at parties. If you've read The Kite Runner you may be familiar with it. Link goes to Frontline but its also available on Netflix if you prefer.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dancingboys/

Also for those who have Netflix, Brother's Keeper is incredibly good. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death. A police investigation and Medical Examiner's autopsy suggested that Bill may not have died from natural causes and Delbert was arrested on charges of Second-Degree Murder. Under questioning by police, Delbert appears to have waived his rights and signed a confession, but this film suggests that he may not have been competent to do so. The film explores possible motives for the crime, from 'mercy-killing' (Bill was ill at the time) to progressively more bizarre hypotheses. It also shows how residents of the rural community of Munnsville, NY rallied to the support of one of their own residents (previously considered a social outcast), against what they felt were intrusive 'big-city' police and District Attorney tactics.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Casca posted:

The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan
Its about a old Afghan tradition of pederasty called bacha bazi where underage boys are made to dress as girls and dance at parties. If you've read The Kite Runner you may be familiar with it. Link goes to Frontline but its also available on Netflix if you prefer.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dancingboys/
I met an afghan refugee who came to Canada on a Christian refugee status. He went back to Afghanistan for his wedding and mentioned one of the guests brought a "dancing boy" to it. He explained it as kind of a concubine/stipper/shared boy type deal and there wasn't much you could really do if a guy showed up with one.

Later on a watched this and it's a great documentary but holy Christ is it a terribly horrible subject.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

After watching "A State of Mind," I've been really interested in finding more DPRK documentaries. The NatGeo Explorer episode was good, and after a little searching I ran across Kimjongilia. I really recommend that movie. It's available on Netflix WI.

Netflix posted:

Marked by a long history of repression and information control, North Korea continues to scrupulously monitor the activities of its citizens. This exposé reveals daily life under a totalitarian regime as well as the stories of prison camp survivors. Filmmaker N.C. Heikin draws on her artistic sensibility as a dancer and performer to craft a stylish documentary that bears a surprising message of hope and inspiration.

Composed of mostly interviews with defectors, it was much more insightful than the Explorer episode I thought, where the crew was followed by government workers, making sure they saw only the best of North Korea. Also, I really liked the dancing which was used during the film, but some people might find it unnecessary. My favorite North Korea documentary so far.

kittiesgomeow fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 26, 2010

5inc
Nov 24, 2010

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

Does anyone have any good documentaries on Canada or Canadian culture? I have Souvenir of Canada and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

There's a very good TV series called "Working Over Time", produced by a company named Primitive Entertainment. It came out in 2008, has 4 1-hr. programs, and stars the dude who played Joe in Molson's "I Am Canadian" ads a few years back. It's very similar to the "Worst Jobs in History" series that Tony Robinson hosted in Britain, with the host trying his hand at various occupations from different periods in Canada's history under the guidance of historical experts - things like voyageur, stone mason, Jesuit priest, pre-Contact native, and so forth. It doesn't seem to be anywhere online, but Netflix might have it - it was originally broadcast on the History Channel, if that helps at all.

There's a more contemporary version in the show "Ed's Up", starring Ed Robinson of the Barenaked Ladies as he flies his small plane around the country, trying out various jobs from infantry training to tree-planter. It's into its third season on the Outdoor Life Network. First season at least is up on Google video - here's episode 1. http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-821015839189571093&q=ed%27s%20up#docid=8124919992247549712

Hope that's the sort of thing you were after.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

kittiesgomeow posted:

Composed of mostly interviews with defectors, it was much more insightful than the Explorer episode I thought, where the crew was followed by government workers, making sure they saw only the best of North Korea. Also, I really liked the dancing which was used during the film, but some people might find it unnecessary. My favorite North Korea documentary so far.

Really enjoyed this one as well, although the dancing was a little off putting for me personally.

edit. The old lady in that documentary has one of the most depressing life stories I've ever heard

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Again, 'cause this thread is too long, if this is a repeat I am sorry.

I was surfing around on netflix and this documentary popped up called The Cove, I wasn't interested in it from the title, but it really was a fantastic documentary.

You can also watch it here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cove/

It follows an undercover team of vigilante Dolphin lovers who were out to film Japan's annual slaughter of thousands of Dolphins at a secret cove in Taiji, Japan.

If this makes you think of WHALE WARS, please stash that bullshit at the back of your mind. It's nothing like Whale Wars (beyond the fact that it's white people fighting with the Japanese for most of the film).

If you want to know more about the slaughter of Cetaceans worldwide (you know, our aquatic mammal bros who can recognize themselves, and are extremely intelligent), you will enjoy this film.

So maybe enjoy is not the right word. You'll probably be disgusted, it's really sad, since (apart from all of the blowhole rape) they're pretty nice creatures who save our asses sometimes.

Here's the WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

Seriously, this is one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever watched. It's striking and startling, and even most of the Japanese population doesn't realize they are being duped. All that delicious whale you buy? Yeah, it's probably Dolphin. And laced with mercury you say, at toxic levels? Lovely Japan.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 27, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Again, 'cause this thread is too long, if this is a repeat I am sorry.

I was surfing around on netflix and this documentary popped up called The Cove, I wasn't interested in it from the title, but it really was a fantastic documentary.

You can also watch it here:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cove/

It follows an undercover team of vigilante Dolphin lovers who were out to film Japan's annual slaughter of thousands of Dolphins at a secret cove in Taiji, Japan.

If this makes you think of WHALE WARS, please stash that bullshit at the back of your mind. It's nothing like Whale Wars (beyond the fact that it's white people fighting with the Japanese for most of the film).

If you want to know more about the slaughter of Cetaceans worldwide (you know, our aquatic mammal bros who can recognize themselves, and are extremely intelligent), you will enjoy this film.

So maybe enjoy is not the right word. You'll probably be disgusted, it's really sad, since (apart from all of the blowhole rape) they're pretty nice creatures who save our asses sometimes.

Here's the WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

Seriously, this is one of the most interesting documentaries I've ever watched. It's striking and startling, and even most of the Japanese population doesn't realize they are being duped. All that delicious whale you buy? Yeah, it's probably Dolphin. And laced with mercury you say, at toxic levels? Lovely Japan.

I'm not trying to be an rear end, and the Cove is very good, but is pretty well known so you don't have to sell it that hard :D!

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end, and the Cove is very good, but is pretty well known so you don't have to sell it that hard :D!

I was just afraid that goons would pass it over, because I passed it over many times, if I didn't make it sound as interesting as it is. :downs: I'm learning mountains and mountains of things about Japan and whaling. It's a loving fancy documentary.

I know so many little kids who idolize Japan because of Anime, and I'd love to sit them down and have them watch this.

Also...because it practically begs for it...

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 27, 2010

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

Ahh, the realities of Japan. :allears:

To contribute, again, I don't think I saw This Film is Not Yet Rated mentioned. It had been on my Netflix queue for quite some time and I actually sat down to watch it.

"Kirby Dick's provocative documentary investigates the secretive and inconsistent process by which the Motion Picture Association of America rates films, revealing the organization's underhanded efforts to control culture. Dick questions whether certain studios get preferential treatment and exposes the discrepancies in how the MPAA views sex and violence."

I don't know if it's just me, but I really was ignorant about how corrupt the MPAA is. Although, I always did find it odd that the Saw enterprise only got R ratings...Interesting watch and reminds you why you're a cynic.

Edit: Oh just kidding, it's totally mentioned. Well, watch it anyway!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I love this thread.

Let me drop a little bombshell:

BaBoom - [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/search/results/page/1/sort/dc.date+desc?q=&facet[0]=dc.type%3A%22Program+Video%22[/url]

edit: Why won't this URL encode? Radium :argh:

This is page one of all the Nova episodes - for those who might not know, Nova is a PBS (American public broadcasting) documentary series, and it is awesome.

I have 2 favorites I'll point out, sadly only 1 is viewable on this site, all though the second is available on Netflix.

Fractals - This one features interviews with Benoit Mandlebrot, and like I said in the PYF Fact that makes your brain explode thread, minute by minute features the most mind blowing facts of any doc I can remember seeing:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/hunting-hidden-dimension.html

Dogs Decoded - Not streamable online, but absolutely fascinating for anyone who likes dogs, has seen a dog, knows what a dog is, and/or finds evolution interesting:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dogs-decoded.html

Also, if these videos are blocked outside of the US, please let me know.

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 29, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Scientist posted:

I love this thread.

BaBoom - [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/search/results/page/1/sort/dc.date+desc?q=&facet[0]=dc.type%3A%22Program+Video%22[/url]

This is page one of all the Nova episodes - for those who might not know, Nova is a PBS (American public broadcasting) documentary series, and it is awesome.

I have 2 favorites I'll point out, sadly only 1 is viewable on this site, all though the second is available on Netflix.

Fractals - This one features interviews with Benoit Mandlebrot, and like I said in the PYF Fact that makes your brain explode thread, minute by minute features the most mind blowing facts of any doc I can remember seeing:

Dogs Decoded - Not streamable online, but absolutely fascinating for anyone who likes dogs, has seen a dog, knows what a dog is, and/or finds evolution interesting:

Fantastic! I love NOVA too, here are a couple of my favorite episodes:

Hubble's Amazing Rescue - Fascinating look at how NASA prepares for a big mission like repairing the Hubble telescope.

Absolute Zero - Very interesting story of physicists competing to create the coldest recorded temperature.

Casca posted:

Also for those who have Netflix, Brother's Keeper is incredibly good. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death. A police investigation and Medical Examiner's autopsy suggested that Bill may not have died from natural causes and Delbert was arrested on charges of Second-Degree Murder. Under questioning by police, Delbert appears to have waived his rights and signed a confession, but this film suggests that he may not have been competent to do so. The film explores possible motives for the crime, from 'mercy-killing' (Bill was ill at the time) to progressively more bizarre hypotheses. It also shows how residents of the rural community of Munnsville, NY rallied to the support of one of their own residents (previously considered a social outcast), against what they felt were intrusive 'big-city' police and District Attorney tactics.

I watched this documentary recently and loved it too.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

Fantastic! I love NOVA too, here are a couple of my favorite episodes:

Hubble's Amazing Rescue - Fascinating look at how NASA prepares for a big mission like repairing the Hubble telescope.

Cool. I bet you some of this was filmed in my dad's old building at work. He used to work on the 2nd floor of the building payloads are readied in at Kennedy Space Center.

Have you seen this one?

Astrospies:
http://video.pbs.org/video/980042464/
And yes, it is every bit as cool as it sounds :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm reading a series of articles about life on a container ship. Are there any documentaries about long-haul truckin on the high seas? Definitely not interested in Deadliest Catch, more interested in merchant marines type stuff, modern age or historical. I've seen the Carrier series, as well, it was pretty good, fairly close to what I'm looking for.

http://www.slate.com/id/2274626/entry/2274818/

Carrier, free: http://www.hulu.com/carrier

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

Restrepo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrepo_(film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc

Follows a platoon of the 503rd Infantry Regiment in the Korengal Valley, the name comes from an outpost named after a soldier from the platoon that was killed around the time the camp was made. During one engagement, one of the men performed like a serious BAMF and was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Giunta

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

The Scientist posted:

I love this thread.

Dogs Decoded is streaming on Netflix. Came up pretty recently though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dead Cow posted:

Dogs Decoded is streaming on Netflix. Came up pretty recently though.
This was awesome. I wasn't a dog person until I got a Labrador/greyhound puppy. That fucker is insane. This doc was fascinating.

Judge
Nov 7, 2008
First, I really apologize if this has been said, but its an interesting documentary and this thread is long.

I just watched Disney's documentary The Boys: The Sherman Brother's Story. Its a documentary about the Sherman Brothers (if you believe it or not). A documentary about Robert B. Sherman & Richard M. Sherman, the Academy Award and Grammy-winning songwriters. These two brothers are known for creating some of the most iconic Disney music ever created, including tunes from Jungle Book, Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh. It talks about their work together and their dysfunctional relationship that tore the family apart.

I don't know if its online or Netflix, but for Canadian Rogers customers its on TMNOD.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOQr7fYME34

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

Restrepo

Follows a platoon of the 503rd Infantry Regiment in the Korengal Valley, the name comes from an outpost named after a soldier from the platoon that was killed around the time the camp was made. During one engagement, one of the men performed like a serious BAMF and was later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Excellent flick, there is a book written about the same time period by one of the films producers/directors/whatever. War by Sebastian Junger

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It's a few years old, but if you've ever been interested in rock climbing, or are scared of heights The Sharp End is one of the coolest or scariest movies out there. Goes over the various kinds of professional rock climbing popular today, highlights some well known climbers and climbing locations. Makes your palms and feet extraordinarily sweaty.

Sadly Netflix doesn't even have it. And it looks like it's twenty bucks on Amazon.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDa-je4AQQ

And a couple of clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dxd0z-gWWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqVlUBZ-D8

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
I know this isn't exactly a recommendation thread, but I figured it would be a pretty good place to ask.

Are there are great documentaries about the Center for Disease Control and the crazy high-level work they do there? I'm talking about the really nasty stuff like ebola and small pox.

Documentaries on ebola and scary diseases work too.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

Retarded Pimp posted:

Restrepo

There's some more video on the Sal Giunta dude here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If anyone is curious Restrepo is on Netflix streaming now. Just watched it and have to say it's a fantastic war documentary. I feel like I just spent months embedded in the worst parts of Afghanistan.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

If anyone is curious Restrepo is on Netflix streaming now. Just watched it and have to say it's a fantastic war documentary. I feel like I just spent months embedded in the worst parts of Afghanistan.

Many thanks for this; I've been wanting to watch Restrepo for a while now, and I'll be queueing it up this evening!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Collapse Interesting little documentary available on Netflix Streaming.

An avant-garde soliloquy, investigative journalist Michael Ruppert details his unnerving theories about the inexorable link between energy depletion and the collapse of the economic system that supports the entire industrial world. Helmed by filmmaker Chris Smith (American Movie), Ruppert's monologue explains how the lies and political propaganda fed to Americans by big business will eventually lead to human extinction.

Just finished watching this movie and it was incredible, completely captivating, interesting subject. Part conspiracy, part revelation, I suggest this movie to everyone.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
A great hour-long documentary has been created giving a condensed history of Wikileaks and its intentions which includes interviews with Julian Assange and other members

Wikirebels
http://svtplay.se/v/2264028/wikirebels_the_documentary

Its worth a watch if you have an hour to spare and gives those who don't know much about the current events involving the leaked cables some good background information.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can anyone think of any documentaries or even historical based movies about WW1? I think I'm addicted.

The nature of WW1 was that seemingly all of Europe, parts of Asia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, plenty of the Middle East and Africa and eventually the States had just saved up animosity towards each other and the a simple little event against the aging Austrian empire touched of a huge cascade of escalation until all of these powers were involved in the largest stalemated meat grinder the world has ever known. The war wasn't even won in the strictly traditional means; lines were held, more or less, until attrition and lack of trade caused the collapse of the Central Powers.

So I've already watched every single one of these time after time:

(This is the first of the series and they're all in parts)
The Great War - BBC

and this:
The First World War - BBC

I've found that under the video if you click the drop-down box next to the button with the big plus sign that says "Add to" and select "Queue" you can set it up so that the videos choose play continuously - probably everyone already knows about this but I just figured it out recently.

Hoeni
Dec 31, 2006
All I ever wanted.
You might enjoy watching this show then, though I have the distinctive feeling, it was posted already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPcko8XLKE

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
No, I don't think it has. Thanks :cheers:

Although I should probably mention I've also watched some of War Walks episodes with historian Richard Holmes as well, which are really cool.
Are there more than just 2 episodes of this somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcexsYHpNQ

Why do so many really good documentaries come out of the British Isles?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Retarded Pimp posted:

Restrepo

One of the most enlightening things about this is the total disconnect between the US military and the locals. That officer at the shura going on about clean slates and him not being the previous guy in charge... he seemed completely unconcerned that their complaints were about their friends and families being killed. 'Oh come on, are you still whining about that ? That was some other guy in this uniform, nothing to do with me, honest.'

Again later on you see that they don't understand the culture, or even the value of livestock. It's a pretty damning look at the hearts & minds campaign, and the leadership on the ground.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 13, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

The Scientist posted:

Can anyone think of any documentaries or even historical based movies about WW1? I think I'm addicted.

The nature of WW1 was that seemingly all of Europe, parts of Asia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, plenty of the Middle East and Africa and eventually the States had just saved up animosity towards each other and the a simple little event against the aging Austrian empire touched of a huge cascade of escalation until all of these powers were involved in the largest stalemated meat grinder the world has ever known. The war wasn't even won in the strictly traditional means; lines were held, more or less, until attrition and lack of trade caused the collapse of the Central Powers.

The Great War - BBC

and this:

I've found that under the video if you click the drop-down box next to the button with the big plus sign that says "Add to" and select "Queue" you can set it up so that the videos choose play continuously - probably everyone already knows about this but I just figured it out recently.

Here's the first part of a good un about the Somme (don't think this has been posted yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1q-Qp2Klws

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

The Scientist posted:

The Great War - BBC

and this:

there was a new movie released called Beneath Hill 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOpCJCl5L4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarette
Nov 8, 2010

I'M GAGA FOR CHEERIOS

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

The trailer itself has to be the worst thing I've ever seen in my life :cry: