Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mune posted:

I'm looking for an RPG where you preferably can control a group (or at least exert some control over a group) in battle, and not turn-based. Preferably light on the story, and hopefully where you have huge customization options.

Ideally I'm looking for a combination of Icewind Dale II and FFXII (for PC, PS3, or 360) but maybe a little faster paced. Man, I wish I had a better way of describing it.

You would probably like Neverwinter nights 2 or Dragon Age: Origins though the latter tends to be a lot heavier on storytelling.

I'm looking for either a more recent PC or PS3 shooter with a solid local/lan Co-op outside of Borderlands, Resident Evil 5, Mercenaries 2, Saints Row 2, and Resistance 1. Resistance 2 coop really isn't conductive to 2 player coop and demands more people to do well.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

mune posted:

I'm looking for an RPG where you preferably can control a group (or at least exert some control over a group) in battle, and not turn-based. Preferably light on the story, and hopefully where you have huge customization options.

Ideally I'm looking for a combination of Icewind Dale II and FFXII (for PC, PS3, or 360) but maybe a little faster paced. Man, I wish I had a better way of describing it.

Dragon Age: Origins although it is very story heavy from what I've seen there's a lot of customization.

e: Beaten.

e2: By 16 and a half hours, how the hell did I do that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

mune posted:

Have you explored the western space operas KOTOR 1/2, Mass Effect 1/2? They do a great job of letting you build your team and control as much as you want in battle, but the settings are far from your examples

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mune posted:

You could try Darklands. It may be an old DOS game, but it's still awesome to this day. It had an innovative for the time real-time + pause system that gave you full control of your party. You could completely customize every character in detail when creating them, using a really cool and never once copied character creation system where you build a character's history from scratch, adding 5 years to their life each time. The older you make them, the more experienced they are, but the more frail they get after a while and they can actually die of old age in game.

There's a plot there, but it isn't really even apparent when you start the game. At the beginning you're more or less a small band of do-gooders who travel around, killing bandits and such until you run into the plot. Or you can ignore it completely. It's an open world game that takes place in late medieval/early Renaissance Germany/Holy Roman Empire, and in most ways it's actually historically accurate to that. The difference is that what was myth and believed by the villagers of the era is real. So you'll find some witches, you don't cast spells but pray to saints for divine intervention or hurl potions made by an alchemist, there's no magical fairly lands or elven archers but if you go deep enough into some caves you might find some grotesque dwarves, etc.

Cool gameplay, cool setting, really awesome game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Are there any cheap/free alternatives to Popcap-like games which are at least decent?

I'm looking for something like bejeweled/big money/chuzzle/astro pop/other BALL games but which would come a bit closer to popcap game polish than the numerous lovely online knockoffs you can find everywhere...

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm looking for weird, unique games for the 360, PS3, Wii, and DS. Basically anything that makes you go, "Whaaaa....." or something like that.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Parallax posted:

I'm looking for weird, unique games for the 360, PS3, Wii, and DS. Basically anything that makes you go, "Whaaaa....." or something like that.

Katamari. Any of them.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Quibb posted:

Katamari. Any of them.

Yeah, I've played most of the Katamari games. I meant to use it as an example of weirdness, but I don't exclusively want Japanese weirdness. Although that kind of weirdness is good as well. (Also I have heard of Noby Noby Boy)

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
No one was ever able to recommend a game similar to Champions:Return to arms other than the regular Torchlight and another D2 Clones, :smith:

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Parallax posted:

Yeah, I've played most of the Katamari games. I meant to use it as an example of weirdness, but I don't exclusively want Japanese weirdness. Although that kind of weirdness is good as well. (Also I have heard of Noby Noby Boy)

Deadly Premonition for the 360. Silent Hill, crossed with a cohen bros movie, crossed with... GTA? The combat is kind of awful though. Check out the thread for it over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270379

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008
I'm looking for something similar to the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games. Something that takes skillful play where you can get into a flow and build up combos, but you don't have to worry dying and replaying large sections of levels.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Parallax posted:

Kinda old but, Psychonauts? Gameplay is ordinary (and sometimes frustrating) but story and levels are weird as gently caress.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
If I wanted to start playing Assassins Creed, can I skip #1 and start with #2? Will I be lost in the story?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
I'm trying to find more games that MY GIRLFRIEND and I can play together, but don't have many games that have co-op play. She hates zombies (so RE5 was out) and overly violent games in general, though seemed to take a liking to Fable II (which I think is pretty boring). I'm limited in consoles, with just a PC and a 360. Anyone able to help me out?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Arzy posted:

If I wanted to start playing Assassins Creed, can I skip #1 and start with #2? Will I be lost in the story?

You'll catch up and fill in the gaps. I Couldn't stand the first game, but I love 2 and Brotherhood so far.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Arzy posted:

Not really, plot summary: Abstergo are the Templars, pieces of eden are powerful relics, you get an apple of eden at the end of the game, lucy is actually an assassin, also the guy before you (Subject 16, Desmond was 17) went crazy and wrote all over the walls in his own blood. To be honest the plot doesn't start properly until the second game.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I used to be a big fan of first person shooters but I got tired of them. The last FPS I really played a lot online was the original call of duty and the original day of defeat. I was pretty good actually but just got tired of the genre, though I've played plenty of single player shooters since.

What are first person shooters with active multiplayer communities my fellow goons would recommend to me?

Edit: I did play battlefield 2 for a while, I liked it.

It seemed that every FPS was the same with minor variations, most of them were just not creative or added anything new at all and I got bored of them. I like slower paced first person shooters. I was a big fan of team fortress classic but I did not like Team Fortress 2 at all, the maps were too slow and it was too fast paced for me.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 28, 2010

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Parallax posted:

- Nier.

- Killer7 (Gamecube, so you'd need a controller/memory card to play it on Wii, but gently caress me if it isn't worth it)

- Breakdown (Original XBOX)

- Killer7

- KILLER7

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deadly Premonition pretty much fits all your qualifiers, especially the "Whaaaa...." part.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Parallax posted:

I'd reccomend Nanashi no Game if it were translated. It's got a lot of Eternal Darkness-esque mindfucks.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

Luminaflare posted:

Not really, plot summary: Abstergo are the Templars, pieces of eden are powerful relics, you get an apple of eden at the end of the game, lucy is actually an assassin, also the guy before you (Subject 16, Desmond was 17) went crazy and wrote all over the walls in his own blood. To be honest the plot doesn't start properly until the second game.

Are the pieces of Eden Spread throughout History? Are they all Apples?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arzy posted:

Are the pieces of Eden Spread throughout History? Are they all Apples?

Various pieces have been used throughout history. They're not all apples. Although actually, I'm not sure that the first game went into even this much detail. You'll definitely learn all about the pieces, who used them, and why, through playing AC2. Make sure you find and read all the glyphs (the first one has to be done in the course of the plot, the rest I think are optional).

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Diogines posted:

I used to be a big fan of first person shooters but I got tired of them. The last FPS I really played a lot online was the original call of duty and the original day of defeat. I was pretty good actually but just got tired of the genre, though I've played plenty of single player shooters since.

What are first person shooters with active multiplayer communities my fellow goons would recommend to me?

It seemed that every FPS was the same with minor variations, most of them were just not creative or added anything new at all and I got bored of them. I like slower paced first person shooters. I was a big fan of team fortress classic but I did not like Team Fortress 2 at all, the maps were too slow and it was too fast paced for me.

Maybe Red Orchestra? It's a realistic WW2 fighting game with 50 man servers, tanks (done realistically, you can't fire the main gun while driving etc.) and isn't very fast paced. It also has locational damage, you get shot in the foot you'll be slower, in your hand and you'll drop your gun etc.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

smokyprogg posted:

So looking here for stupid hard games. Not I Wanna Be the Guy or Mario romhack stupid. Just really hard, legit games. I love unnecessarily difficult challenge, but not completely unfair (ie. IWBTG, stupid rear end romhacks). Moreso recent games.

Super Meat Boy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Trials HD, Sin and Punishment Star Successor.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Parallax posted:

Flower, Sun, and Rain for DS. Also seconding Killer7 for GC/PS2 (the GC version is better though).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Maybe Red Orchestra? It's a realistic WW2 fighting game with 50 man servers, tanks (done realistically, you can't fire the main gun while driving etc.) and isn't very fast paced. It also has locational damage, you get shot in the foot you'll be slower, in your hand and you'll drop your gun etc.

And in this same respect, Armed Assault 2. There's a pretty decent goon community, last time I checked, and is similarly realistic to Red Orchestra, probably even more so. Slow paced and really fun.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I've been really interested in getting into old school non-graphical games for a while, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could recommend me a good Text Adventure/Interactive Fiction/MUD type game which is preferably free and not too complex since I haven't actually played this type of game before.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Quixote posted:

I've been really interested in getting into old school non-graphical games for a while, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could recommend me a good Text Adventure/Interactive Fiction/MUD type game which is preferably free and not too complex since I haven't actually played this type of game before.

For Windows, just download Windows Frotz. That page also has a link to the IF Archive, which has a ton of IF games listed and ranked. You can also look for Frotz for iOS, which has a searchable game browser built in.

To start out, I would recommend Anchorhead, Lost Pig, and Theatre.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Diogines posted:

Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box is on sale right now on Steam, so now is a great time to get into all of those games.

Team Fortress 2 has a great community, and is constantly changing with updates for new weapons and game modes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chakram posted:

Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box is on sale right now on Steam, so now is a great time to get into all of those games.

Team Fortress 2 has a great community, and is constantly changing with updates for new weapons and game modes.

Did you stop reading after the first two sentences, or what?

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Danger Mahoney posted:

For Windows, just download Windows Frotz. That page also has a link to the IF Archive, which has a ton of IF games listed and ranked. You can also look for Frotz for iOS, which has a searchable game browser built in.

In addition, the stuff that wind the interactive fiction competition each year tends to be pretty good: http://www.ifcomp.org/

I forget if they have a category on the IF Archive for winners or not, but there's some really cool ones.

Also, I haven't checked out this year's yet. Yay.

EDIT: Some one's I'd recomment are Gun Mute, the IF on-rails shooter,
Violet, a game told in the second person where you have to stop procrastinating and write a paper.
Slouching toward bedlam, a game with... cthulu-ish overtones and time travel and saving built into the narrative.

Residual Toast fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 29, 2010

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
On Thanksgiving I was playing the Scott Pilgrim game on PS3 at my cousin's house, and it brought back the good ol' days of beat em up games. I haven't got a PS3, but I perused Steam and didn't see anything that met the criteria... Anything new and exciting in the beat em up (streets of rage, final fight, the new scott pilgrim game, etc) genre?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JesusDoesVegas posted:

On Thanksgiving I was playing the Scott Pilgrim game on PS3 at my cousin's house, and it brought back the good ol' days of beat em up games. I haven't got a PS3, but I perused Steam and didn't see anything that met the criteria... Anything new and exciting in the beat em up (streets of rage, final fight, the new scott pilgrim game, etc) genre?

There's a freeware remake of all three Streets of Rage games coming out with a big update soon apparently. Don't know much about it.

And if you haven't played God Hand yet, do it. It's pretty much one of the best punch-the-poo poo-out-of-stuff games ever made.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Danger Mahoney posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely give them a try. I've seen a few of the IF threads in Let's Play and something about that style of game really interests me.

a medical mystery posted:

There's a freeware remake of all three Streets of Rage games coming out with a big update soon apparently. Don't know much about it.

And if you haven't played God Hand yet, do it. It's pretty much one of the best punch-the-poo poo-out-of-stuff games ever made.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about the Streets of Rage remake, the blog for the guy making it hasn't had an update since February 3rd, which is a shame since I had really been looking forward to it.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Recommend me a good city build game please

Games I have played:
Anno series
Settlers series
Most simcity games
Stronghold
Cities XL
Tropico 3

thanks.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Vier posted:

Games I have played:
Anno series
Settlers series
Most simcity games
Stronghold
Cities XL
Tropico 3

While I have no advice to offer you, do you recommend Cities XL? I've been eye-balling it forever.

vvv Thank you, very very much.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 29, 2010

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

While I have no advice to offer you, do you recommend Cities XL? I've been eye-balling it forever.

No its awful don't waste your money on it.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Not really new, but I finally got around to grabbing Castle Crashers and it's an awesome beat 'em up, even if it does murder me constantly. Lava town! :argh:

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
My brother recently got a new laptop and he gave me his old desktop, I have a macbook so gaming was never really an option besides warcraft 3 or games like that.

I'm either looking for an FPS or an RTS thats under $20 and is fun. I was thinking of either getting Day of Defeat:Source, but I heard it was dying out? Either that or Team Fortress 2, I played that for a bit already when it first came out.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Sock posted:

My brother recently got a new laptop and he gave me his old desktop, I have a macbook so gaming was never really an option besides warcraft 3 or games like that.

I'm either looking for an FPS or an RTS thats under $20 and is fun. I was thinking of either getting Day of Defeat:Source, but I heard it was dying out? Either that or Team Fortress 2, I played that for a bit already when it first came out.

I'm open to any suggestions though.

If you're looking for multiplayer, you really can't beat TF2. If you want something more co-oppy Left 4 Dead 2 is up for $20 as well and is extremely fun if you have a good team, but extremely frustrating if you have a bad one.

For an RTS, if you don't mind spending a little bit more money, I find that Dawn of War 2 is a really good RTS game if you're not willing to drop the whole $60 on starcraft 2. It's $30 on steam, the single player will last you about 12 hours and plays a lot differently than the multiplayer, you control 4 units and get droppable upgrades from enemies ala diablo 2. The multiplayer community is kind of meh and the matchmaking pretty atrocious, but if you play with goons you can have some good times. The bonus? The multiplayer expansions are inclusive, if you just buy the base game you are limited to the original 4 races, but you can play with people who have the expansion if they play as chaos and whatnot.

*edit* Also DoW2 has full co-op on the single player campaign.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 30, 2010