Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, I will renege on calling her terrible. That's a bit much, you got me there. However, I do still feel this outburst is more than just her acting rashly because Renard dissed her dad.

Currently she's not winning any new friends and is actively driving away existing ones. Granted we have had a lot of chapters recently that really have very little to do with her, so we're stuck with snippets from months ago. We've been shown she can be quite cruel when she feels slighted, we've been shown and told multiple times she has no empathy for pretty much anyone else in the court, and most of the time she has such a neutral demeanor as to practically be a cipher.

But maybe I am just thinking about this too much because it has been quite a while since we've had a decent chapter focused on character development of the main character, and I am kind of bummed that it has started off on an "everyone is a total rear end in a top hat" kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I think this chapter is about how Annie's gone from being a pre-teen to a proper teenager over the course of the comic. She started in what, year 6? And it's year 8 now. Two years is a pretty long time at that age.

Annie's discovered a boy and been incredibly awkward around him, and now she's owned the poo poo out of one of her friends over a perceived slight. She'll probably regret it later, but did it anyway because the parts of her brain that control empathy and judgment are awash in adolescence chemicals.

Kat had a crush on Alistair and has been "kind of a butt" over Teen Angst recently; it makes sense that Annie would be a bit of a late bloomer. I mean, this chapter has her straight up tell Reynard :mad: YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD :mad: so it seems a pretty clear interpretation of what's going on.

Welcome to Puberty, Population: Lonely

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
I really wonder what this will mean for Annie and Reynardine's relationship long term. Any trust they had is now gone, I don't know how they could rebuild that relationship. That is unless Annie just orders Reynardine to pretend like nothing ever happened.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Psych posted:

That is unless Annie just orders Reynardine to pretend like nothing ever happened.
I don't think that could work, she owns his current body but not his mind/soul/ether/whatever.

FredT.E.C.
Dec 28, 2006

I'm the shounen-prophet
I doubt their long term relationship would be all that damaged. Reynardine still loved Surma regardless of whether or not she felt the same. He is emotionally attached to Annie because of that love, and would be more than likely to be willing to forgive Annie's outburst. Annie will be able to forgive Reynardine because it's impossible to stay mad at an adorable stuffed animal.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FredT.E.C. posted:

I doubt their long term relationship would be all that damaged. Reynardine still loved Surma regardless of whether or not she felt the same. He is emotionally attached to Annie because of that love, and would be more than likely to be willing to forgive Annie's outburst. Annie will be able to forgive Reynardine because it's impossible to stay mad at an adorable stuffed animal.
I don't know; Surma was definitely encouraging Reynardine's love. Finding out love is one sided is one thing, finding out that the entire relationship was a forced facade with malevolent intentions is another. I doubt that it'll cause a permanent rift, but it's going to cause temporary hard feelings at the very least. Unless he just refuses to believe it, which is what seems to be happening to begin with.

vv: General consensus is Annie's being a bluh bluh huge bitch, only real debates are whether it's justified and what the outcome will be

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 25, 2010

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Oh god is some of this the same as the "Rose is Evil" stuff from the Homestuck thread?

Because it'd be just as terrible here as it is there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mike McC posted:

Oh god is some of this the same as the "Rose is Evil" stuff from the Homestuck thread?

Annie is a dark wizard
Rose is a robot.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Mike McC posted:

God I sure hope not, observing that Annie is being deliberately mean is different from "she was brainwashed by the dark gods to do their evil bidding!" For one, observing that Annie's being cruel is accurate <:mad:>

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal

FredT.E.C. posted:

I doubt their long term relationship would be all that damaged. Reynardine still loved Surma regardless of whether or not she felt the same. He is emotionally attached to Annie because of that love, and would be more than likely to be willing to forgive Annie's outburst.

That is bullshit, Reynardine's love for Annie's mother could be the foundation of a relationship, but not the entire basis of one. If that's all the two of them have going then there is little hope that they can maintain their friendship.

Also let's not forget that Annie's 'outburst' involved using super natural control over Reynardine to torture him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mike McC posted:

No-one's saying Annie is evil. They're saying she's an emotionally stunted bitch.

The first part is definitely true, the second, nah. She's just doing teen angst stuff. It'll all shake out.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 25, 2010

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Annie is emotionally closed-off and prone to bottling things up. She's also a teenager. When those two collide, outbursts happen.

And Reynardine was being a presumptuous, possessive dick.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Annie also has had issues with one person claiming another in the past. Remember her reaction to Mort when she thought he'd given her the blinker stone as a token of love? She said something pretty cruel about him, too.

It's a small part of her character that I'm hoping gets elaborated on. It might even have something to do with her mother, which would explain her outburst. She started to get really upset when Reynardine referred to her as "my Surma" and implying her dad tricked her away from him.

So combine that with her love/respect of her father and the bad mood she'd already been in and it's not surprising she's completely blown her top.

That said, I feel like in the next few pages she'll get some form of reality check, step back, and feel EXTREMELY guilty she's acted this way.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
So does anyone else have any guesses on what they think Renard was going to finish his thought with before Annie shattered his world in the previous strip? "What sort of man would-" makes me think that he's going to continue bashing him in front of Annie, but I think that he also could have brought back to Annie with something like "What sort of man would abandon his daughter after that?", or something like that. It feels like an important distinction where the cutoff was made, but maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
"What sort of man would become a surgeon when his name is Carver?"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Probably just a sentence there to be interrupted for dramatic effect.

For example:

"I didn't think--"
"No you didn't think!"
:(

I wouldn't look too far into it.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Also even if it was "what sort of man would abandon his daughter?" or something similarly sympathetic to Annie, she still probably would have gotten pissed off. Her dad is a known raw nerve with her and harping on the fact that he's not there is not a good plan at the moment.

EDIT: gently caress we have to wait until Monday to see what comes next?

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 26, 2010

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
So this is the part where Renard reveals to Annie that her Dad caused her Mom's illness, isn't it?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

OurLivesOnline posted:

So this is the part where Renard reveals to Annie that her Dad caused her Mom's illness, isn't it?
It's plot twists all the way down.

Surma tapped too many mountains before summoning Rogat Orjak to return Eglamore from the graveyard to their library.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

OurLivesOnline posted:

Or maybe we will find out Annie caused her moms illness. She is named after a poison after all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I wish Renard had the option to not tell Annie yet just to mess her up but in that form he is obligued to comply.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ka0 posted:

I wish Renard had the option to not tell Annie yet just to mess her up but in that form he is obligued to comply.

No, he isn't.

But I want him to tell her anyway, because otherwise WE don't get to find out.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Why, whyyyy does this have to be posted on Friday... it almost feels intentional, to build up the tension before revealing another tidbit of long-awaited backstory. Gunnerkrigg has gotten so good lately that it's inspired me to start a watercolor illustration of Annie.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
I feel like the room has the best quote for this.

"I feel like I'm sitting on an atomic bomb, and it's about to go off."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Renard has been looking disconcertingly human these last couple pages.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 27, 2010

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My wild speculation is that Surma suffered from some sort of magical illness and Anthony spent his life bloody-mindedly trying to cure her with mundane medicine because he rejected the idea of magic. Bonus pathos points if something magical in the forest or the Court could have cured her instantly.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=109

A little something to reminds us all that Annie and Renard are pals for life.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Ice cold Reynard, ice cold.
Now I can't wait for Wednesday!
Gunnerkrigg, the strip that keeps you on the edge of your seat for an entire chapter.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Holy poo poo.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Good lord.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh God.

Ohhhhhhhh God.

We knew this was coming, but drat--drat, it still hurts.

And it's only going to get worse as the week goes on, I can already tell.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
poo poo, meet fan.

God drat this chapter is awesome. Of course, Tea-san is probably smirking, knowing that future chapters will be even better.

Cannot wait to see how this continues on.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Welp there is pretty much no way this can possibly get any worse.

Jesus, Annie's face. The saddest face. The very, very saddest face.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Annie is going to say a bad word by the end of the week. Major f-bombs here is what I'm saying.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Great page. I love how all the straight lines start to curve in the bottom three panels- very keen way to depict that "the worst thing just happened" feeling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is excellent. I'm glad the conflict didn't get instantly defused; instead, we got far more interesting escalation. Plus we got an answer we'd been seeking for ages. I find this most satisfying.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Renard is an rear end, but that's no surprise.

Wednesday needs to be Annie grabbing him, opening a window, and field goal kicking Renard back into the forest. Or into a furnace!

So when do we then learn that it isn't so much that Annie died because of Surma, but because Surma willingly gave her life to make Annie strong? Maybe she was born weak and Surma put everything she could to help Annie keep going? She seemed pretty at-peace with herself back in the chapter where Annie helped that kid who set his house on fire, and she clearly loved Annie, so there was never resentment over her fate. She knew she was dying, helped Annie along, and probably went with no regrets.

I'm guessing the chapter will play out thusly: Renard shuts himself off, Annie's left to cry, so when Kat and maybe her mom show up to see why she's late, there's a bit of a breakdown before Annie gets told the 'proper' way things happened.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I want to live in your fanfic universe where every story has a happy ending, ChibiSoma :smith:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

I'm guessing the chapter will play out thusly: Renard shuts himself off, Annie's left to cry, so when Kat and maybe her mom show up to see why she's late, there's a bit of a breakdown before Annie gets told the 'proper' way things happened.

While I can buy the rest of your post I really doubt this one, I don't know. I think even if Anja says "your mother willingly gave her life to make you stronger" Annie will still never forgive herself. She loved her mother very deeply and knowing she was responsible for Surma's death is obviously absolutely crushing her.

I do think things are more complicated than this, I just also think we're not going to find out how for a while. Stuff with Renard and Annie has been coming to a head for a long time and it just finally exploded, defusing it too fast would be doing the plot an injustice in my opinion.

EDIT: I think Annie is going to eventually ask for some more of the story from Coyote's end before we find out the whole truth.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thankfully for Annie, most of the adults probably understand that this is just how life goes. If you want to pass on a part of yourself, that will entail sacrifice. Usually the causative link isn't this strong, obviously, but I have a hard time thinking the Donlans, for example, would hold the cost of her life against her. As parents, they'd understand Surma's position: it was this or let the fire die when she (eventually) did, and while Surma would have been justified in allowing that to happen, there's nothing morally wrong with the choice to act otherwise. Annie's life came at an unusual but not excessive price by Surma's standards.

Although this was a pretty remarkable dick move on Rey's part.