Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After my last graphics driver update, my Windows weather widget started looking like this:

What's the deal with the white border? I tried restarting it and adjusting the number of days displayed, but it didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Here's a link to help with display issues with Gadgets: Gadgets are Not Displayed Correctly. If this doesn't help your problem and you need to follow up in this thread, could you please tell us your operating system, video card, and display driver version?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Dandy Cat posted:

Just a google search away? Or do you have any places in particular that you know about?

Sorry to say it that way, but it was a couple of years back, so the information I had, I would not know if it is current, and I simply do not remember the names anyway. Once it healed, I had no further need, and all that.

But like I said, the place I went had a whole bunch of people dealing with cracked tailbones and how to live a normal life until it healed. The doctors I was dealing with were of essentially no use, but the internet had great helpful info.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine
I want to use a theme for my wordpress site that has a slideshow on the front page, but not the kins that automatically shows images from my most recent posts - I want it to just a few specific images that don't change. What is the best (free) theme to use?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

After my last graphics driver update, my Windows weather widget started looking like this:

What's the deal with the white border? I tried restarting it and adjusting the number of days displayed, but it didn't do anything.

Looks like your new drivers are having transparency issues with the shadow effect cast by the widget.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I had surgery and needed an IV hooked up to me for 5 days. Im on my last day. Instead of staying in the hospital, in Canada we have organizations that will bring a nurse to your home once a day to change the bag, clean your dressings and make sure everything is ok.

Second day in, and my IV ran out. Called once an hour starting at 8PM to let them know. The operators said they cant get a hold of the nurse and will keep trying. 3AM rolls around and a nurse finally calls me and tells me she cant make it out, but will tell me how to change my IV myself, along with programming the machine that hangs around my neck.

I stayed very calm and nice through this because its late and I wanted to sleep. I called the next day and complained, letting them know what happened. The nurse didn't know the names of some of the buttons on the machine while I was on he phone with her, and didn't know how to lock the machine so I wouldn't roll on it while sleeping and gently caress with it. I was also the one to figure out how to start the IV - she said just to press the start button (which did nothing) and when she was trying to think of how to actually do it, I already held down the Start button which did work. She said "oh yeah! Hold it down, so sorry!"

They even admitted to being wrong, and come Monday they will launch an investigation into this. I have no problem confronting people when they do wrong, and do not let people push me around, and I want some justice out of this. I told them I am not a nurse or doctor and shouldn't be in charge of doing these things when I'm sick and under painkillers, and regardless of that, the nurse --never showed up--

While I am not money hungry, and am more doing this to set them straight, but wondering if this could lead to any compensation on my part. Imagine I was an elderly man who couldn't read the tiny loving font on the machine, or just someone who wasn't techy in general?

I think I can seek legal aid in this - you guys think its worth it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I know there's a megathread and you might want to ask there. You may have to be able to prove actual damages or malpractice, such as suffering adverse effects from not receiving the medication (or whatever was in the IV) that you needed. I would definitely report it to the head office of the VON (if that's who was providing the service) or the College of Nurses of Ontario, which is their professional governing body. Remember, Canada isn't like the US in terms of suing for damages either.

Edited to add: I hope it wasn't the VON. :ohdear: They were absolutely awesome after my dad was in a car accident and needed dressings changed daily at home.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's Acclaim Health, whom I think used to be called the VON. Not sure. I did find the law megathread after and posted there, thanks.

Like I said, I don't care if i cant cash out, but rather want to make sure I complain to the right person in order to be heard and not have someone else go through what I did in the future.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I used some seriously expired hand soap (didn't even know the poo poo could expire). It's left a horrible smell on my hands that hasn't gone away after a dozen washes. The smell is awful... Like waking me out of a sound sleep over and over awful. I'm wearing gloves over my hands right now because the stink is so awful that it makes me sick. Anyone know anything that might get this off?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Liar posted:

I used some seriously expired hand soap (didn't even know the poo poo could expire). It's left a horrible smell on my hands that hasn't gone away after a dozen washes. The smell is awful... Like waking me out of a sound sleep over and over awful. I'm wearing gloves over my hands right now because the stink is so awful that it makes me sick. Anyone know anything that might get this off?
Try vinegar, baking soda, or salt—but not all at once or you'll make a volcano. Lemon juice might cut it. Supposedly, one can get stink off hands by rubbing them with stainless steel, but I haven't tried it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'd also try rubbing alcohol, since it's useful for just about everything.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A buddy has an IBM NetVista that can't find its OS. I tried the HD in another computer and ti also wouldn't boot. I'd like to get her another hd and squeeze some more life out of it for her, but it looks like it has to be IDE? I keep seeing SATA --> IDE adapters, which would make the HD cheaper, bigger, and give me a few more options as far as ratings on amazon, manufacturer, warranty.

Is it a bad move for some reason? I have limited skills and knowledge about computers or anything else.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Very Strange Things posted:

A buddy has an IBM NetVista that can't find its OS. I tried the HD in another computer and ti also wouldn't boot. I'd like to get her another hd and squeeze some more life out of it for her, but it looks like it has to be IDE? I keep seeing SATA --> IDE adapters, which would make the HD cheaper, bigger, and give me a few more options as far as ratings on amazon, manufacturer, warranty.

Is it a bad move for some reason? I have limited skills and knowledge about computers or anything else.

Best route would be to buy an ATA hard drive. ATA = IDE (sort of). SATA is a newer, faster technology, but you can still buy ATA hard drives (that use IDE cables to attach to the motherboard). Its your safest bet to ensure compatibility.

However - make sure the hard drive is definitely not functioning first. It might not be a hardware problem and you could get some more use out of the current hard drive with a bit of effort.

Looks like NetVista is a pretty old computer though, so odds are the hard drive is dead.

Check newegg.com - Looks like you can buy an 80GB hard drive for $40.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Best route would be to buy an ATA hard drive. ATA = IDE. SATA is a newer, faster technology, but you can still buy ATA hard drives (that use IDE cables to attach to the motherboard). Its your safest bet to ensure compatibility.

However - make sure the hard drive is definitely not functioning first. It might not be a hardware problem and you could get some more use out of the current hard drive with a bit of effort.

Looks like NetVista is a pretty old computer though, so odds are the hard drive is dead.

Check newegg.com - Looks like you can buy an 80GB hard drive for $40.

That is exactly what I needed to know I guess. I was skipping over all the ATA stuff because it didn't have IDE in the title and I thought it was the whole different aminal.

Thanks.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dandy Cat posted:

I fell this weekend and busted my rear end. I bruised my coccyx really badly and I'm trying to find a place to buy a donut cushion. Does anyone have any ideas where I can pick one up? I tried looking online at CVS and Walgreens and I couldn't find any in stores. I have to go back to work tomorrow so I need something comfortable to sit on or I'm going to be miserable.

If you're desperate, would one of those neck rest pillows - the ones that are a C shape - be of any use? You could get one from a travel store or again, a pharmacy?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What does "circuit" mean in the context of the American judicial system? Sorry if that's a dumb question (not an American).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Dudebro posted:

What does "circuit" mean in the context of the American judicial system? Sorry if that's a dumb question (not an American).

It's the level of organization one step up from individual districts, bundling them into larger areas of jurisdiction.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If I bring my own travel mug and my own tea (usually loose in a teaball), is it a dick move to ask a coffee shop for hot water and use a dash of their milk to finish it off? I assume no if I'm buying other things, but sometimes I feel like a jerk if I'm not buying anything. OTOH, my tea is better and I don't want to pay to drink crap. :ohdear:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Eggplant Wizard posted:

If I bring my own travel mug and my own tea (usually loose in a teaball), is it a dick move to ask a coffee shop for hot water and use a dash of their milk to finish it off? I assume no if I'm buying other things, but sometimes I feel like a jerk if I'm not buying anything. OTOH, my tea is better and I don't want to pay to drink crap. :ohdear:

Yeah, it's kind of a dick move. It would be less of one if you were buying something else, or accompanying people who were buying stuff, but try to remember that "inexpensive" doesn't mean "free," so you're being a mooch at best.

Honestly I would suggest you try not to be such a hothouse flower and either deign to drink something that's for sale at the shop you're patronizing, or stop going to shops that don't meet your standards.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Why not order a hot tea and ask them to leave the bag on the side for you to steep yourself? Then you'll be paying the same price you would pay to order tea there. If it's a small shop and you go there often, you might even be able to tell them to just keep the tea bag but still pay for a hot tea.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

It's the level of organization one step up from individual districts, bundling them into larger areas of jurisdiction.

Can you go into more detail? Like the word before "circuit" is usually a number. 7th circuit, 9th circuit, etc...

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Dudebro posted:

Can you go into more detail? Like the word before "circuit" is usually a number. 7th circuit, 9th circuit, etc...

Jurisdictionary.com posted:

Most states are comprised of local governmental units called counties, each with its own courthouse where local judges preside over county courts (usually including small claims courts) and circuit judges preside over more powerful courts known as circuit courts. Each circuit has a chief judge who has authority to command all judges in his circuit, from magistrates hearing small claims cases in the county courts to judges presiding over capital murder cases in the circuit court. The chief judge of the circuit answers only to the justices of the state supreme court. The term comes from the days when judges rode horseback from one county to the next along a continuous route called the circuit, hearing disputes that exceeded the jurisdiction of the local county courts.

source: http://www.jurisdictionary.com/dictionary/C.cfm

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Dudebro posted:

The missouri courts website is pretty comprehensive. Hopefully it explains it properly for you.

http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=321

quote:

Missouri circuit courts are courts of original civil and criminal jurisdiction. That is, cases usually begin in the circuit court, which is where trials may occur. Within the circuit court, there are various divisions, such as associate circuit, small claims, municipal, family, probate, criminal, and juvenile.

Missouri's counties and the city of St. Louis are organized into 45 judicial circuits. There is a court in every county. The circuit court is typically in the county seat (or the city of St. Louis) and may be in additional locations in the county.

So basically, there's not a trial worthy courtroom for every county in a state, that wouldn't make sense because some of the counties are so lowly populated, so they combine several counties into one circuit. Furthermore, the circuits are divided up into divisions in very much the same way that the state is divided up into circuits. The map in the link above should help you see that.

e:f;b

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2010

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dudebro posted:

The term comes from the 12th century, when King James II instituted the custom of having judges ride around the countryside ("ride circuit") each year to hear appeals, rather than forcing everyone to bring their appeals to London. The practice was carried over to the States, and as the country grew, new circuits were created so judges wouldn't have to ride from Maine to Texas, or from coast to coast.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arriviste posted:

Here's a link to help with display issues with Gadgets: Gadgets are Not Displayed Correctly. If this doesn't help your problem and you need to follow up in this thread, could you please tell us your operating system, video card, and display driver version?

That didn't fix the problem. I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series with the latest driver, version 8.791.0.0, which was updated 10/27/2010. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Is there a good website for soccer data/statistics?

I know there is a wealth of information for baseball (sabermetrics) but how about for soccer?

What I am specifically looking for is info on penalty kicks - really detailed info like foot used, type of shot, which way the keep dove, colors of jerseys etc etc.

I am in grad school and want to do a categorical data analysis project on soccer penalties.

Not sure if there is a better thread for this in TRP... but figured I'd ask here first.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
In the movie behind enemy lines one of the guys chasing owne wilson stands on a mine that will go off when he takes the pressure off it, he asks the other guy to help him but he runs away instead. Could the other guy have actually helped him?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

A LOVELY LAD posted:

In the movie behind enemy lines one of the guys chasing owne wilson stands on a mine that will go off when he takes the pressure off it, he asks the other guy to help him but he runs away instead. Could the other guy have actually helped him?

It's possible to disarm a mine, yes. And you don't need to spoiler a movie that came out 9 years ago.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

hooah posted:

That didn't fix the problem. I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series with the latest driver, version 8.791.0.0, which was updated 10/27/2010. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Why don't you roll back your drivers? Was there a reason you updated them or was it just procedural?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

A LOVELY LAD posted:

In the movie behind enemy linesone of the guys chasing owne wilson stands on a mine that will go off when he takes the pressure off it, he asks the other guy to help him but he runs away instead. Could the other guy have actually helped him?

Yes because in the real world one of two things has happened: The mine misfired or was a dud. I don't have anything to back it up at the moment but I think the movie portrayal of mines comes from a couple things.

1. If a mine misfires after you stepped on it, it's probably best to stay really friggin still and wait for EOD to help.

2. Some mines do have a short delay between tripping the fuse and it firing.

What movies would have you believe that most all mines are detonated by the release of the pressure once tripped and not the downward pressure. I think you can see why that really doesn't make much sense. (at least for an antipersonnel mine)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know of a page that details the processes by which an ordinary film (like Titanic) would be converted to 3D (as James Cameron said is being done)? I've looked on Wikipedia and googled a bit but not found anything specific about the method.

And here's a really obscure question:

In The Bill, the UK TV series, I was sure that Mark Kermode played a baddie who Rod Skase was involved with, but I can't find anything supporting my memory. Does anyone know anything?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2010

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I asked Rain (the Korean pop star) if he could send my girlfriend an autograph and this was his reply. :shobon:

기간지

What does it mean? I tried Google Translate/Babelfish etc., but it just seems to mean 'for the duration' or 'during this period', which doesn't make much sense.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Why don't you roll back your drivers? Was there a reason you updated them or was it just procedural?

Rolled back and everything's back to normal. And yeah, I just kinda update drivers out of habit.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the answers on the circuit question. It was just confusing to hear that thrown out there in conversation when really you wouldn't know what they were talking about unless intimiately familiar with the state court system. I guess it's one of those TV legal drama things. I suppose there are some really well-known circuits though (where major cities are located?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal
How does a rice cooker work? You don't have to tell it how much rice you put in, it just has a single "cook" button that magically stops at the right time.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

haveblue posted:

How does a rice cooker work? You don't have to tell it how much rice you put in, it just has a single "cook" button that magically stops at the right time.

There's a temperature sensor at the bottom. As long as liquid water remains in the pot, the temperature won't go above 100C. When the excess water is gone, the temperature rises and trips the thermostat to the "done" state. Use more water for softer rice, less water for firmer rice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Rolled back and everything's back to normal. And yeah, I just kinda update drivers out of habit.

I take it back. The white border has returned.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Dudebro posted:

Thanks for the answers on the circuit question. It was just confusing to hear that thrown out there in conversation when really you wouldn't know what they were talking about unless intimiately familiar with the state court system. I guess it's one of those TV legal drama things. I suppose there are some really well-known circuits though (where major cities are located?)

Attorneys who commonly practice in those courts will be familiar with the general demeanor and leaning of that court. Additionally, in many states certain district/circuit courts only hear certain types of cases, so the 61st court might be a Family Court while the 125th might be a criminal court. Technically, either court could hear either type of case, but they structure the docket so that the judges are more familiar with what they'll hear.

You're exactly right - it's a TV thing. Two attorneys who live in the same area might talk about "the 61st" and the "125th," which is why you'd see that on legal dramas. It's the legal drama equivalent of medical lingo on the doctor shows.

I really can't think of a single circuit that an ordinary person would be familiar with, big city or no. The 9th Circuit in the Federal system is regarded as the most liberal and thus is a little better known; even then, I'd wager that less than 5% of Americans could tell you that.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

change my name posted:

What's the best way to get a free acoustic guitar? I really want to learn how to play but I have absolutely no room in my budget.

Check the obituaries for dead young men and then go to their parents pretending you were their friend; happen to notice the acoustic guitar and make up a story about a great memory you had of jammin' out around the campfire and how he always said he was gonna teach you to play. Look away real quick so they don't see you wiping a tear from your eye. Wait a bit.
vvvv
edit, re: craigslist:
I've never done it, but in theory you could set up an RSS feed that would alert you if "free" AND "guitar" ever showed up on craigslist. Otherwise, if one ever does show up it will be gone within minutes.

There's kind of a begging-for-poo poo section on there somewhere, isn't there? I recall someone posting something once about people effectively begging for poo poo on craigslist. I'm sure womens have more luck with that.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

change my name posted:

I doubt you'll find one for free. I'm seeing them as cheap as $50 on Craigslist, but I'm in a big city, so you might not be so lucky.