Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ladymikochan posted:

Around 4:30 Visa/MC apparently have had it with trying to keep up with the massive amount of credit/debit transactions freezes up and and takes up to 10 mins to process a transaction.

It wasn't Visa/MC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I worked from 4:30 to 3 on Black Friday at RadioShack.

We were scheduled to open the doors at 5:30, but around 5:20 we noticed that all of my co-workers had shown up, the store was priced, clean, signs all up... and it was 25 degrees outside with a line of 10ish people, so we opened the doors about 10 minutes early. Predictably, the best deals (a $179 netbook, $349 notebook) sold out instantly. A customer showed up at about 5:30 and said "WHERE'S ALL THE NETBOOKS? YOU GUYS OPENED EARLY I DESERVE A NETBOOK YOU NEED TO GO FIND ONE FOR ME." We had two of that $179 netbook in stock. The first two customers bought them. It took me five minutes to convince the lady that she had absolutely no chance to get one regardless of when we opened.

Also:

Customer: I want a cell phone upgrade! It's been something like FOUR YEARS since I last got one!

Me: Well, let's go ahead and check your eligibility.
*sign onto account*
Last upgrade: 10/11/2010
Phone model: iPhone 4

Me: It says here you last upgraded in October to an iPhone 4. You aren't eligible for an upgrade for 2 more years.

Customer: That is SUCH BULLSHIT I pay AT&T $200 a month I deserve a new phone whenever I want a new phone I've been such a good customer for them I always pay my bill on time I've had them for TWENTY YEARS and they're going to lose me as a customer if they don't let me upgrade RIGHT NOW

Me: What kind of a phone do you have?

Customer: *shows me iPhone 4*

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
How did you respond? I mean, did you calmly explain to him that you are incapable of time travel?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I worked from 4:30 to 3 on Black Friday at RadioShack.

We were scheduled to open the doors at 5:30, but around 5:20 we noticed that all of my co-workers had shown up, the store was priced, clean, signs all up... and it was 25 degrees outside with a line of 10ish people, so we opened the doors about 10 minutes early. Predictably, the best deals (a $179 netbook, $349 notebook) sold out instantly. A customer showed up at about 5:30 and said "WHERE'S ALL THE NETBOOKS? YOU GUYS OPENED EARLY I DESERVE A NETBOOK YOU NEED TO GO FIND ONE FOR ME." We had two of that $179 netbook in stock. The first two customers bought them. It took me five minutes to convince the lady that she had absolutely no chance to get one regardless of when we opened.

Also:

Customer: I want a cell phone upgrade! It's been something like FOUR YEARS since I last got one!

Me: Well, let's go ahead and check your eligibility.
*sign onto account*
Last upgrade: 10/11/2010
Phone model: iPhone 4

Me: It says here you last upgraded in October to an iPhone 4. You aren't eligible for an upgrade for 2 more years.

Customer: That is SUCH BULLSHIT I pay AT&T $200 a month I deserve a new phone whenever I want a new phone I've been such a good customer for them I always pay my bill on time I've had them for TWENTY YEARS and they're going to lose me as a customer if they don't let me upgrade RIGHT NOW

Me: What kind of a phone do you have?

Customer: *shows me iPhone 4*

Dude, we still have people asking about that loving netbook.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
Kohls is running a series of ads now that I'm pretty sure were scientifically designed to cause seizures in retail workers. They basically go like this:

Store worker:*says something completely reasonable and in a polite way, like "We can't accept this item for a return without a receipt/If you damage this dress you can't return it."*
Narrator: "Want returns without the hassle? Come to Kohls!"

It really pisses me off because I've seen about three of those ads now and the "evil" store workers don't ever say anything that is particularly draconian or unreasonable, but Kohls seems to be predicating their marketing strategy on people going "My god! Not being able to return a year old dress that I've worn and spilled ink all over? What madness is this?!" It's just this attitude of literally bending over backwards while the customer fucks you in the rear end that I hate about retail.

/rant

Anyway, I'm slowly moving up the ladder of the bookstore food chain- my boss recommended me to train as a cashier, which basically means I'd be upselling memberships all day. It means more hours though, so I'm pretty excited about that, considering that right now I'm still at ten hours less than what they hired me on as. *sigh*

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

kdc67 posted:

That's right. She took a $2 donation back from needy children and an organization that has nothing to do with the store all because she couldn't read a sign properly. I'd like to think there's a special level of hell for that sort of move.

Quoted from a few pages back, but I worked at Office Depot for a couple months earlier this year and I had a similar experience with easily the douchiest customer I've ever seen. He bought a case of paper and I checked him out. He was a little impatient and obviously a bit self-important but nothing major. A few minutes later he comes back in with two different cases of paper that he pulled from a different spot, saying that the two cases were on sale for cheaper and that it was stupid for him to pay extra. Taking his word for it, I start to do an exchange, but the two cases are ringing up for the same price as the first one, and there doesn't seem to be a discount applied to them. A couple other employees come over and upon closer inspection, it appeared that the sale price he saw was for single reams of paper, and the sale sign was supposed to be placed on a stack of reams that had been pulled from their cases. Someone had forgotten to pull the reams out, so on first glance it appeared that each case of paper was on sale for the same price as a single ream (which would be a huge discount). He got a little angry and said something about the sign being misleading, and two of my coworkers ganged up on him saying "That's why the sign says at the bottom exactly what the product is," and things just escalated from there, with the customer saying "So do you read every little thing on the sale sign?" One of my coworkers said "Yes, I do," and the guy goes "Well, I guess that's why you work here," in the most smug, condescending tone I think I've ever heard.

Obviously, that started a shitstorm with him saying he would never shop there again, managers getting involved, etc. My coworkers totally antagonized him and I empathized with the guy for thinking that the sign was misleading but he was such a douche about it, and that line was just such a privileged, middle-aged white guy thing to say. Thankfully I've worked retail before so I have a thick skin and I was able to laugh it off as some dude having no understanding of the humiliation and dehumanization that comes with a retail job, but a few years ago it would have really hurt me.

Speaking of retail, I'm going into Barnes and Noble for an interview tomorrow, to work nights and weekends in addition to my full-time office job. Wish me luck, I guess :(

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
To be fair I have seen some totally misleading signs for sale prices in retail stores:

1) Saying things are "Two for $5" and when ringing up it turns out to be $2.50 for each. Of course occasionally it actually requires two so the consumer is left to either buy more than they might need, risk not getting the sale price, or taking two to the register and only buying one if that is all that is needed.

2) Buying a frozen pizza the other day and I saw a sign "$2 off this pizza". I was pumped as that was a pretty big discount so I loaded up a few of them in the cart. Checking out was going pretty quick and I didn't see the individual pizza being scanned but then when she handed me my receipt I got three, $2 off coupons for next purchase of pizza. Of course this after I had already paid so by then it was a total pain to undo.

Practices such as these piss the consumers off and unfortunately the front line for the store are the cashiers.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Duck_King posted:

How did you respond? I mean, did you calmly explain to him that you are incapable of time travel?

I let him vent his anger and told him that he had to wait like everybody else to get a new phone. He didn't take that kindly, and said that he was going to go call AT&T and complain about my manners. I pity the poor AT&T phone jockey that caught his phone call.

invision posted:

Dude, we still have people asking about that loving netbook.

The best part is the really snotty customers in the last couple days that have been demanding that I substitute something else for the sale netbook at the same price.

Customer: Do you have any of those netbooks on sale from your ad left?

Me: No, I'm sorry, we ran out on Black Friday.

Customer: Oh, well, can you give me something else for the same price? Like... that computer? *points at $700 HP notebook*

Me: I apologize, but we can't do any substitutions.

Customer: Go get your manager. I'm sure he'll let me buy that computer for the sale price.

My manager comes out, and says to the customer,

Manager: Are you insane?

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

alreadybeen posted:

To be fair I have seen some totally misleading signs for sale prices in retail stores:

1) Saying things are "Two for $5" and when ringing up it turns out to be $2.50 for each.

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but if two items each cost $2.50, they're 2 for $5. It's not misleading, unless the sign doesn't say that they cost more if you only buy one.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

A Dapper Man posted:

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but if two items each cost $2.50, they're 2 for $5. It's not misleading, unless the sign doesn't say that they cost more if you only buy one.

I didn't make it clear. I meant when it says two for $5 and really they are just selling them at $2.50 each. The sign makes you think you need to buy two, but you don't.

Sadsy Kitten
Sep 12, 2009

alreadybeen posted:

I didn't make it clear. I meant when it says two for $5 and really they are just selling them at $2.50 each. The sign makes you think you need to buy two, but you don't.

I usually assume that it's $2.50 each unless there's a stipulation on the sign that says "Must buy two for discount to apply." Depends on the store, I guess, but I feel like most of the time they make a note of it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I let him vent his anger and told him that he had to wait like everybody else to get a new phone. He didn't take that kindly, and said that he was going to go call AT&T and complain about my manners. I pity the poor AT&T phone jockey that caught his phone call.

As an ATT phone jockey, the direct answer would have been no, you upgraded in October. Maybe if I'm nice, I'll put you on a hold to talk to someone that will also say no.

Also, there are no records of ATT before the Cingular take over. Almost everything from that point was written off.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
My manager made both registers at least $50 short on Saturday.

She is no longer allowed to touch them until our sale is over. This goes on until Christmas Eve.

Long story short: We're having a holiday sale with tiered discounts. Spend $35 and you get an additional 5% off; $60 nets you an additional 10% and so forth. A couple bought some stuff in one transaction, then came back with some more stuff and wanted to add it to their previous transaction so they could get a percentage off for the sale.

Now, this is annoying in itself, but we'd normally just refund the first transaction and then ring it up all as one. But no, my manager can't do it that way. She rings up the second transaction, tries to refund the difference to the card, and colossally screws everything up by making both registers short.

Oh, and we all agreed not to put Christmas music on until December 1. What did she do? Turned it on on Black Friday to "put us in the mood."

:smithicide:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Man, I have an interview tomorrow at one of the stores frequently mentioned in this thread. :/

I think I'll just do my best and if they offer me the job, turn them down.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Man, I have an interview tomorrow at one of the stores frequently mentioned in this thread. :/

I think I'll just do my best and if they offer me the job, turn them down.

If nothing else an interview is practice.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
So, retail in general makes me crazy, but I work in a store that literally sells everything. Do not come up to me and ask me about some weird unknown item, especially when you see that I work in a department no where near where that item would be housed. I work in the clothing department guy, I don't know poo poo about rat poison or paint or plumbing supplies, just get out of my face!

Also, if I answer the phone and say "Thank you for calling Evilhellstore" do not immediately ask me "Oh is this Evilhellstore?"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

The best part is the really snotty customers in the last couple days that have been demanding that I substitute something else for the sale netbook at the same price.

Well this gps was $99 dollars the other day so i want a discount now.

I dunno man. Like, on one hand, I actually kind of enjoy working there, but on the other hand...

It's really not that bad. Our DM is really rude though, and I absolutely loathe or POS system. It's the most complicated outdated poo poo ever.

Also, since we sell those wall chargers with interchangeable tips:

"Hey which charger do i need for my 1973 Voyager CB Radio Desktop Set with headphones? Yeah, it's at the house. What do you mean you don't know? You work here, you're supposed to know. Where's the manager. Get me the manager. I DONT CARE IF HES SICK CALL HIM JESUS CHRIST! WHAT? YOU DONT HAVE HIS PHONE NUMBER. OH MY loving LORD ALMIGHTY YOURE loving WORTHLESS GOD ILL GO TO BEST BUY gently caress IT IM NEVER COMING BACK"

P.S. how am i supposed to upsell phone acessories to people when we dont even carry them? Like, we sell the Kyocera Loft, but we don't have any cases or anything for it. We have 180000 blackberry cases, but if you have anything else, you're hosed.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Insignificunt posted:

... I work in the clothing department guy, I don't know poo poo about rat poison or paint or plumbing supplies, just get out of my face!

I had something similar happen a day or 2 ago. I work at Superstore in the produce department, and a guy asks me where marbles are. I let him know where the toy area is, but that's not good enough, he asks me to show him. Fine, I walk with him all the way to the toy area, then he asks me where specifically in this area marbles are...

As much as I'd love to have everything we sell in this gigantic building mentally catalogued sometimes it isn't even possible to keep track of where things are in my own department

Der Kaktusfreund
Apr 4, 2010
Hi there. This is my first retail job (pharmacy tech in training) and it's been a difficult past few months. But today I think I'm onto something. After a weekend of reading this thread and pondering quitting, I came into work today totally carefree. My shift never felt so relaxed yet I got so much done. The pharmacist even complimented me at the end of the night. I'm still not sure how to handle the fixed, angry glares from waiting customers though.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Der Kaktusfreund posted:

Hi there. This is my first retail job (pharmacy tech in training) and it's been a difficult past few months. But today I think I'm onto something. After a weekend of reading this thread and pondering quitting, I came into work today totally carefree. My shift never felt so relaxed yet I got so much done. The pharmacist even complimented me at the end of the night. I'm still not sure how to handle the fixed, angry glares from waiting customers though.

Simple answer to that one - You gotta learn to tune them out. They're never going to go away. If there's one thing people hate, it's waiting. Apparently, people's time is far more important that that life-saving drug they need.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

invision posted:

P.S. how am i supposed to upsell phone acessories to people when we dont even carry them? Like, we sell the Kyocera Loft, but we don't have any cases or anything for it. We have 180000 blackberry cases, but if you have anything else, you're hosed.

It gets better, man - We're expected now to sell an average of $11 in accessories on a prepaid phone. Who is going to buy $11 in accessories on a $14.99 Tracfone? Postpaid is a minimum of $16, so now instead of being lazy and selling clearance poo poo, we have to actually try. A lot of stores are now doing this trick to make their attaches look better:

1) Sell phone to customer who wants no accessories whatsoever.
2) On the same ticket, attach a $99 bluetooth (or $24.99 car charger, whatever)
3) Pay for the bluetooth in cash, charge customer whatever the phone normally costs.
4) Refund the bluetooth a few tickets later. Notice that even after refunding the accessory, it doesn't come off the accessory attach reports so it looks like your store did great that day.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

It gets better, man - We're expected now to sell an average of $11 in accessories on a prepaid phone. Who is going to buy $11 in accessories on a $14.99 Tracfone? Postpaid is a minimum of $16, so now instead of being lazy and selling clearance poo poo, we have to actually try. A lot of stores are now doing this trick to make their attaches look better:

1) Sell phone to customer who wants no accessories whatsoever.
2) On the same ticket, attach a $99 bluetooth (or $24.99 car charger, whatever)
3) Pay for the bluetooth in cash, charge customer whatever the phone normally costs.
4) Refund the bluetooth a few tickets later. Notice that even after refunding the accessory, it doesn't come off the accessory attach reports so it looks like your store did great that day.

holy poo poo.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So it's effectively fraud, but really really awesome fraud.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

People got fired for pulling commission fraud at Verizon all the time...be careful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well then, I sent an email to my boss to confirm all my stores, and guess what I get as a reply?

quote:

I was able to get someone to do the whole East Bay bundle.

Thanks for checking in.

I can't loving believe this, and its all because I wont drive off to Oakland or San Fransisco cause A: I'll only be making 11 bucks at each place and B: They wont pay me for traveling, so I'm not gonna drive out there and lose money for gas.

Now lets assume I didn't check in, lets assume tomorrow I just got up, started driving around and auditing stores, signed off my paperwork and turned it in. Would they tell me "Oh we took you off, so we can't pay you for this"? Would they feel like a bunch of assholes and tell this other person "Don't go to these stores cause we're morons and didn't tell the guy beforehand he was off the list cause someone else would like to lose money while they worked and he went on to do the job we told him he could do"?

I would love to send in my two week if any places would loving hire me.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I'm sure lots of places would hire you

for retail :(

That's the crux of the problem.. once you're stuck in retail, the only jobs you can run to are jobs that are just as miserable, until you either stick with a miserable place long enough to become an rear end in a top hat manager, or get a degree and move into non-menial fields.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Kaninrail posted:

That's the crux of the problem.. once you're stuck in retail, the only jobs you can run to are jobs that are just as miserable, until you either stick with a miserable place long enough to become an rear end in a top hat manager, or get a degree and move into non-menial fields.
Or you could do what I did, and take a college-level IT course and move into office administration instead. Obviously that's not suitable or affordable for everyone, but it's a possibility.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Big Taint posted:

People got fired for pulling commission fraud at Verizon all the time...be careful.

The problem is that RadioShack will fire you if you don't pull commission fraud.

The thing I hated the most about working there is that sales targets were based on LAST YEARS sales. Anyone who's ever had a cell phone knows that contracts are TWO year contracts. So the history of our store looked like this.

TEAM A sells 30 cell phones in the month of March 01
TEAM A sells 10 cell phones in March 02, many people from TEAM A are fired, or they quit because RS demoted them to part time, and the manager usually gets store transferred or demoted, because they failed to meet their sales goals.
TEAM B is hired, and sells 25 cell phones in March 03, which the DM lavishes praise upon them because they "totally rocked last years numbers!" while failing to see that they didn't actually do as good as 01.
TEAM B falls into the same cycle in March 04, where they failed to meet their goals and the store ends up getting new people.

The highest commission making people in our district seriously were the guys who requested store transfers to get into the "good stores", and worked in one or two different stores in a year. They usually were good to the customers, cutting deals that I would have gotten written up for, but they could get away with. Since the customers liked these sales people (there are two guys I can think of off the top of my head who made like $75 grand a year) customers would follow them to their new stores to get their upgrades. The DM liked them because it made his numbers look good, while the DM continued to shuffle lower performing managers around the lovely stores.

The sad thing was I actually liked working there at first, and helping people with their 'solutions'. The customers weren't as bad as the management.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

To be honest, I wouldn't care if I have to do even more retail, if at the very least my hours are more secure then "Whenever we want" (Out of this year, I worked a grand total of 30 days). I'd happily work 10 hours a week as long as I'm getting some form of income.

Hm I should have another story, about crazy women in the workplace and why you shouldn't even get close to them.

Last year during the Longs to CVS remodel, CVS had my company and another company help them out. One day during break a girl from the other company came over and asked me about my company, our pay and whatnot. So we bullshitted during the week, and in store the CVS team lead would try to put her on my aisles but she would do that "Haha no no" laugh and try to get away. At the end of the week I finally asked her for her number (I just moved to the Bay Area, so I didn't know anyone. Might as well get a few numbers right?). The next month we would text and call each other, till we ended up being in the same store again.

At this point I'll come clean and say my mom and her husband also work for my company, and incidentally were both my team lead and second lead.

Anyway at the store when she first saw me as I was literally bending over to lift off a shelf she hugs me. She would always hug me when we see each other. I went into the back to print out tags and she stopped me in front of the door and said I couldn't go in until I hugged her. At first I thought why not, its non threatening. Then while we were talking on the phone I hear a kid talking, and she says its her kid. A three year old. She's 19. I'm 18. Instantly I'm not interested in being anymore then friends, cause I'm way too young to deal with a kid and I pretty much raised my little brother since I was 10 (I still am practically), so ya gently caress that I'm not gonna deal with another kid.

However, that wouldn't mean I would ignore her or refuse her hugs. But then my team leads (once again, my parents so I hear this poo poo at home as well) tell me to stop hugging at work or I'm gonna be fired. So I tell her "Even though we are in different companies, we are working in the same store, we can not show any affection to each other and that includes hugs. My mom and her husband can't even call each other dear during work". She didn't like this, at all. She kept texting me during work and getting me in trouble, so I told her to knock her poo poo off and stop being a bitch about it.

She told me I was a rude fucker, never talk to her again. Next week I'm under investigation for sexual harassment :smithicide:

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 1, 2010

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

The problem is that RadioShack will fire you if you don't pull commission fraud.

The thing I hated the most about working there is that sales targets were based on LAST YEARS sales. Anyone who's ever had a cell phone knows that contracts are TWO year contracts. So the history of our store looked like this.

TEAM A sells 30 cell phones in the month of March 01
TEAM A sells 10 cell phones in March 02, many people from TEAM A are fired, or they quit because RS demoted them to part time, and the manager usually gets store transferred or demoted, because they failed to meet their sales goals.
TEAM B is hired, and sells 25 cell phones in March 03, which the DM lavishes praise upon them because they "totally rocked last years numbers!" while failing to see that they didn't actually do as good as 01.
TEAM B falls into the same cycle in March 04, where they failed to meet their goals and the store ends up getting new people.

The highest commission making people in our district seriously were the guys who requested store transfers to get into the "good stores", and worked in one or two different stores in a year. They usually were good to the customers, cutting deals that I would have gotten written up for, but they could get away with. Since the customers liked these sales people (there are two guys I can think of off the top of my head who made like $75 grand a year) customers would follow them to their new stores to get their upgrades. The DM liked them because it made his numbers look good, while the DM continued to shuffle lower performing managers around the lovely stores.

The sad thing was I actually liked working there at first, and helping people with their 'solutions'. The customers weren't as bad as the management.

Man reading this RadioShack stuff makes me so glad I quit there. I always had bad cell phone sales numbers because a) I didn't work during the daytime, which was apparently when most of them were sold (schooling is funny like that) and b) I didn't ask every guy who was in for headphones or something similarly cheap if they wanted an upgrade (and yes they really wanted me to do that). The best part was that our district office was literally right in the back of the store and the DM would pretty much always give me dirty looks whenever he happened to be in because if you don't push phones on everybody you ain't poo poo :downs: Funnily enough we weren't actually part of that office's district until a couple months after I started working there.

Oh, yeah, and our store was a neighborhood store in a low income area, so we weren't one of the "good" stores and in the six months or so I worked there we had an almost complete turnover except for the assistant manager who became manager. Amazingly one of the girls that worked with me is still there after over two years, though.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
Jesus Christ Christmas shopping brings out the weird people.

Tonight a guy came into work looking for a parenting/childcare book. We didn't have it, so we offered to special order it for him. He wanted to order it, then he saw the price -- $24.99 for a hardcover, then we'd take 10% off. "$24.99?! Is it signed by the author and illustrator for that price?" :psyduck: $24.99 is the standard price for a hardcover book and is actually a pretty good deal these days since they're getting progressively more expensive. I'd say he doesn't buy many books, but...

... a few minutes later, he wanted to order a hardcover Captain Marvel book that was just as expensive and didn't say boo about that. He wanted to special order it because the one we had on the shelf had very minor shelfwear and it wasn't good enough for him.

About half an hour later, he came back up with some of the single-issue comics we have. These are from the early '90s and are just weird, obscure stuff that we get in discount batches. He refused to let me touch them whatsoever because they were "perfect, and the spines aren't bent because people just cram them back in the racks!" I have to count them to enter them into the register, but no, I couldn't touch his precious comics. Not even to bag them.

Then he had the audacity to ask me who my favorite comic book character was. Although I like comics I really didn't want to talk to him, so I just muttered "Sailor Moon" figuring he wouldn't know who she was and I could avoid having a conversation about which character can beat up whom. Sure enough, he gaped at me for a second and then said, "Oh, HAW! You like them independent comics, don'tcha? Not bashing them or nothin'." Yeah sure, whatever. I made sure to touch his hand when I gave him his change just to annoy him.

Someone else can have the honor of calling him when his special orders come in.

Death Bear fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 1, 2010

Der Kaktusfreund
Apr 4, 2010

Luquos posted:

Simple answer to that one - You gotta learn to tune them out. They're never going to go away. If there's one thing people hate, it's waiting. Apparently, people's time is far more important that that life-saving drug they need.

Thanks, I needed this. At one point last night I had six people in a crowd just standing in front of the register with at least one angry glare. If you make sympathetic eye contact with them you just make your own problems worse. I have a new respect for retail employees.

Leal -- drat that sucks. It's like entrapment. Good luck.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Kohls is running a series of ads now that I'm pretty sure were scientifically designed to cause seizures in retail workers. They basically go like this:

Store worker:*says something completely reasonable and in a polite way, like "We can't accept this item for a return without a receipt/If you damage this dress you can't return it."*
Narrator: "Want returns without the hassle? Come to Kohls!"

It really pisses me off because I've seen about three of those ads now and the "evil" store workers don't ever say anything that is particularly draconian or unreasonable, but Kohls seems to be predicating their marketing strategy on people going "My god! Not being able to return a year old dress that I've worn and spilled ink all over? What madness is this?!" It's just this attitude of literally bending over backwards while the customer fucks you in the rear end that I hate about retail.

Just work at Nordstrom's for a day. You'll love it!

People can return poo poo from 20 years ago, and they do.

edit: Does any other company rank the schedule based off of "merit"? I'm interested in hearing about this especially with commissioned positions

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 1, 2010

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

elf pr0n posted:

edit: Does any other company rank the schedule based off of "merit"? I'm interested in hearing about this especially with commissioned positions

The store I used to work for always threatened to do this, and I think they sort of did actually. They had to have something to hold over our heads since the wage (7.50) was hardly much motivation and we didn't make commission. I can't say about company-wide; I think it was up to the GM/scheduling manager of each store.

Fake edit: I assume what you're talking about is that people who get more sales (or in our case, more store credit cards) get more hours and more say in when those hours are scheduled.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
Guess who just got fired because his part-time availability as a student wasn't good enough for management?

This guy :smith:

In a bitter piece of irony, at this point attending college next semester won't work because my loans aren't big enough to pay for it, and I don't qualify for unemployment as I'm a student. :(

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid

TheBandOffice posted:

Guess who just got fired because his part-time availability as a student wasn't good enough for management?

In a bitter piece of irony, at this point attending college next semester won't work because my loans aren't big enough to pay for it, and I don't qualify for unemployment as I'm a student. :(

gently caress this gay earth. I'm in the same position, barely scraping up a pittance as someone's part-time nanny. That position is about to end, however, since my employer will be working better hours at a different hospital.

At least I'm not stuck at Jewel though, god drat that was a lovely job.

Der Kaktusfreund
Apr 4, 2010

TheBandOffice posted:

My condolences.. I wouldn't be surprised if I was fired myself for the same reason, if our store wasn't so desperate in terms of help. I don't understand this. If someone is skilled and experienced, and they can work, why not just let them work for however much they can? We're getting paid by the hour anyway.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

Der Kaktusfreund posted:

My condolences.. I wouldn't be surprised if I was fired myself for the same reason, if our store wasn't so desperate in terms of help. I don't understand this. If someone is skilled and experienced, and they can work, why not just let them work for however much they can? We're getting paid by the hour anyway.

Similarly, at my retail job the GM griped that he and the other managers were having difficulty hiring because they found that many people in our area of the age range they wanted (18-25) didn't need to work (which I guess implies a lack of flexibility, work ethic, eagerness, etc. on the part of applicants). I might've sympathized with him--yeah, there are a lot of spoiled college kids here who have mommy and daddy pay for everything--except that what I really wanted to ask him was, "Given that you are having difficulty hiring quality people, wouldn't it make sense to not treat the [quality] people you already have like poo poo? v:shobon:v"

My sympathies for y'all TheBandOffice and sarsbar. :( Good luck and goonspeed.

Der Kaktusfreund
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah I hear you. I don't even need the money myself but it's a good life experience. I'm thankful that we have some awesome old school pharmacists who take care of us when it comes to management. But today, the one I always work with has officially retired, his reason being: "I've had enough of this poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
:unsmith: okay....the manager I liked just called me and said he doesn't want me gone and will work around any schedule I want. He's on the same level as the manager that termed me. I'm back on for now pending a review by the manager above them. That, if it goes against me, I get to appeal again to the manager above them. And then HR.