Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
What are good black leather cleaners and conditioners? I'm in Arizona so I need every bit of protection I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Lowclock posted:

What are good black leather cleaners and conditioners? I'm in Arizona so I need every bit of protection I can get.

Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Lowclock posted:

I'm not really into big/mil trucks like yours, so I don't know if those alts are internally or externally regulated, or if they're self-exciting. Poking around with a multimeter should be able to tell you if it's getting fielded properly or not though.

They're internally regulated. Both of my alternators are good, both my batteries are good.

Would a constantly energized GP relay drain 2 red tops in 4 hrs or less?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
What's the harm in a 20/80 mix of AF/H20 in cold climates for a week?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

extreme_accordion posted:

What's the harm in a 20/80 mix of AF/H20 in cold climates for a week?

How cold is "cold"? EG based coolants at that mixture ratio are only good to around like 15f, while PG is only a couple degrees more. If it freezes, your motor/rad can possibly be totally hosed. I'd say drain out some and replace it with straight uncut antifreeze to get back closer to 50/50. 20/80's not really doing poo poo for you anyways.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 29, 2010

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Lowclock posted:

How cold is "cold"? EG based coolants at that mixture ratio are only good to around like 15f, while PG is only a couple degrees more. If it freezes, your motor/rad can possibly be totally hosed. I'd say drain out some and replace it with straight uncut antifreeze to get back closer to 50/50. 20/80's not really doing poo poo for you anyways.

Yeah totally forgot the wife was running round on mostly water. She's hauling it in for a rad flush tomorrow. Ran the motor for an hour today and poo poo seems to be running fine although the car will not survive the winter on it's current mix. -20F or greater can be expected from time to time inClimates. my local climate.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 29, 2010

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
2001 Toyota Echo with a dead battery, me and my roommate's car charged it enough to get the car started, made the mistake of turning it off before letting it charge all the way, now it wont start again but the interior lights will come on and everything - just now when I turn the key I get this loud clicking noise.

Did I gently caress up a spark plug or something? Do I need to charge it again and for longer? Am I hosed?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jefferoo posted:

2001 Toyota Echo with a dead battery, me and my roommate's car charged it enough to get the car started, made the mistake of turning it off before letting it charge all the way, now it wont start again but the interior lights will come on and everything - just now when I turn the key I get this loud clicking noise.

Did I gently caress up a spark plug or something? Do I need to charge it again and for longer? Am I hosed?

The battery has enough charge to run the interior, but powering the starter motor takes significantly more. The click is the starter engaging, but that's as far as the battery can push it.

Either put the battery on a charger, or jump the car and drive it for half an hour on the highway.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Enh, this is random, but my friend offered me his no longer used license plate, it's just two letters and that's cool, I guess, but I wonder if there's some spergy license plate collectors out there that will buy it? I know there are a lot of retards who buy the old numbered plates...

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My 91 Celica GT-Four developed a rather weird problem this morning.

At speeds over about 20km/h the speedo completely stops working, going slower than that though it works fine. To make it more interesting the odometer starts and stops along with the speedo so I don't think its the actual speedo itself.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what I should check to find the problem?

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009

Grashnak posted:

My 91 Celica GT-Four developed a rather weird problem this morning.

At speeds over about 20km/h the speedo completely stops working, going slower than that though it works fine. To make it more interesting the odometer starts and stops along with the speedo so I don't think its the actual speedo itself.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to what I should check to find the problem?

The speedometer cable may be sticking, the gear that connects to the transmission is worn, or a failing speed sensor if it's an auto.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Piano posted:

Enh, this is random, but my friend offered me his no longer used license plate, it's just two letters and that's cool, I guess, but I wonder if there's some spergy license plate collectors out there that will buy it? I know there are a lot of retards who buy the old numbered plates...

Depends on the state. In Delaware you can sell your old ceramic black and white plates. In MD you're supposed to turn in plates back to the DMV.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Piano posted:

Some states have special rules that let you activate original issue plates, or just plates from the vehicles year of manufacture to run on antique cars. Are the "retards" you're talking about doing that?

If your friend's aren't that old, just hang them up in the garage like everyone else

tkNukem
Feb 12, 2005

Are there any major problems with running an engine that misfires due to fuel injectors not spraying? I understand running a misfiring engine that's got spark/ignition issues is bad because of the fuel dumped into the catalytic converter and crankcase... but can an engine limp, on say 7 out of 8 cylinders, as long as the problem with the 8th cylinder is a broken injector?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

enginedriver posted:

Hi guys just experienced a weird braking problem tonight. When I put the breaks on the cars just started making a noise like a pencil hitting an empty coke can or metal pencil case. Just one hit each time I break. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Two months or so ago I go new brakes and discs on the front and new brakes on the back, as I had a problem with a grinding noise caused by corrosion on the brake discs at the front. Am I being paranoid or just unlucky with my brakes? It would appear my car hates cold weather! It also seems to do it more at sub 30mph speeds but since its only been doing it since this evening I can't be sure. Any ideas?

A backed-out caliper bolt could cause a noise like this, among other things. I'd definitely get the brakes inspected.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Despite living in a dry garage, my MG hates to start now that it's getting chilly. It cranks strong until the battery can't give any more. I usually end up jumping it with my roll around charger, then it fires right up and as long as the engine is the tiniest bit warm, it'll start easily the rest of the day.

Weber carb conversion (because I know how hard it was to start ZS-equipped car in the cold) manual choke, fresh plugs and wires, new distributor with a Pertronix kit and new coil.

The only idea I have is to bypass the ignition resistor, hoping to get a slightly hotter spark. Is there any problem with that theory?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 29, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

eddiewalker posted:

Despite living in a dry garage, my MG hates to start now that it's getting chilly. It cranks strong until the battery can't give any more. I usually end up jumping it with my roll around charger, then it fires right up and as long as the engine is the tiniest bit warm, it'll start easily the rest of the day.

Weber carb conversion (because I know how hard it was to start ZS-equipped car in the cold) manual choke, fresh plugs and wires, new distributor with a Pertronix kit and new coil.

The only idea I have is to bypass the ignition resistor, hoping to get a slightly hotter spark. Is there any problem with that theory?

To answer my own question, yea, that sounds like a terrible idea for coil longevity, and I need to check for a "starting spark" connection between the starter solenoid and the coil as seen in this generic diagram:
http://www.mossmotors.com/forum/forums/thread/5684.aspx

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I have a 1964 Ford Falcon and I cannot find what type of carburetor it is running. I am pretty sure it isn't the stock one and the only identification I've found is this tag on the side.

As far as I can tell, the tag reads:

Motorcraft
DOPFK
A7F2O

But every search I do gives me vague or contradictory information.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is there any sort of free canadian used car price directory that lists values (ie a blue book equivalent)? I'm looking at replacing my 2 older used cars with something a little more recent but it's hard to shop when prices are all over the place for the same cars.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Crustashio posted:

Is there any sort of free canadian used car price directory that lists values (ie a blue book equivalent)? I'm looking at replacing my 2 older used cars with something a little more recent but it's hard to shop when prices are all over the place for the same cars.

If you're looking for KBB, and don't want to pay for it, check the Library. Or maybe try Lemonaid, also at the library.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Eponine posted:

I've had this same problem for 6 years, but the car otherwise drives great and I love it and I miss it when I have to drive other cars.

I drive a 1997 Toyota Corolla with a little baby 4-cyl, 1.6L (I'm pretty sure) engine, standard transmission. But none of that matters because my problem lies in a belt somewhere. When I start it up in the morning, or when its been sitting in the same place for awhile (as short as just a couple of hours), especially in the cold, it squeals for about 200 feet. It only does this under load (i.e., when I start it up in the morning and let it "warm up" for two minutes while I clear off snow or whatever, it is just as silent as usual.) But, even after letting the engine run for a minute or two, when I pull out of the driveway, it makes this terrible squealing.

I've had the car for 6 years and everyone in my family has driven it at some point and everyone says the same thing. We do maintenance on the car, my dad and I change the oil, so we've each been under the drat thing and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I feel like if it was a serpentine engine belt issue, 1) it would have broken and 2) it would be doing it all the time, right? I work for GM in a call and service advice center and I asked some of the engine guys if they had any idea and they are stumped, too. Also, working in a car place makes any problems you have with your car seem really terrible because people make comments.

I've looked online and it looks like it might be the power steering belt? I thought it might have been wear sensors on the brakes, but it seems like in 6 years and two kids learning to drive on it, the brakes would have just gone. Plus, it definitely sounds like a belt noise, that kind of rotating squeal. If its the power steering belt, do I need to fix it?

tl;dr my car makes a terrible squealing noise under load for about 200 feet after its been sitting for a few hours. Advise?

I had this problem and it was a bad (read: old and falling apart) alternator belt. Large chunks of the ribbing had come off over time, and so it wouldn't make a solid connection to the pullies. After driving it for about 10-15 seconds, the belt had warmed up enough that it could get good traction on the pullies and the sound would stop. It also only happened with throttle or under load, so the symptoms are the same.

Also, as for your question about if a belt would last that long, mine was like that for several months and several thousand miles simply because I thought it was a symptom of a completely different problem. When I finally managed to fix that problem, the noise was still there, so I found the belt problem and fixed it. If a belt deteriorates just right, it can last a lot longer than you'd think before it completely fails.

If changing the belt(s) out doesn't fix it, I've also heard that small vacuum leaks, either from a vacuum line or a gasket on your intake side, can cause the same problem (air leaking causing a vibrating of material similar to buzzing a blade of grass or something) and the noise goes away after a short time for a similar reason (the material warms up and mostly seals the hole). If it's a not-too-terribly-essential vacuum line or a small leak in your intake gasket, you probably won't notice much of a performance hit. Then again, fixing the problem, if it is that kind of problem, since it's been going on for so long, you might not know that you've taken a performance hit since you're so used to driving with it.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
My friend wanted studded snow tires for his wife's car, however he only wanted two since it's a front wheel drive car. Every tire place in town only sold them in sets of four, because according to some of the places, it's dangerous or a liability to have them mixed with older tires. He was absolutely incensed he had to buy a set of four, but I can see why the tire places do that.

What specifically, though, is dangerous about it? My knowledge of snow tires is pretty much "good ones = my car handles better"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

padijun posted:

My friend wanted studded snow tires for his wife's car, however he only wanted two since it's a front wheel drive car. Every tire place in town only sold them in sets of four, because according to some of the places, it's dangerous or a liability to have them mixed with older tires. He was absolutely incensed he had to buy a set of four, but I can see why the tire places do that.

What specifically, though, is dangerous about it? My knowledge of snow tires is pretty much "good ones = my car handles better"

He puts two high grip tires on the front and the rear slips out and spins the car. He puts two high grip tires on the rear and the front never gains any traction.

Also, I'm assuming he will put the two tires he took off back on in the spring. At that point, he'll have two tires with drastically different thread wear than the other two, which means replacing two tires sooner and, again, having two tires with drastically different thread wear. Leads to the kinda of situations described above.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

padijun posted:

It just makes for a huge imbalance in traction between the front and back. My friend managed to find a place that would let him do what you're suggesting, and after like the third time he pulled a 180 from braking at any kind of slight angle, he went back and got the other two.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I ended up using a microfiber towel and Stoners Invisible Glass on my windshield and i think I solved the residue problem.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho
Is it true that in a car accident a windshield will only crack if it is either chipped or has a chip in it? My insurer is being such a tremendous oval office it's actually unbelievable...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spaseman posted:

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon and I cannot find what type of carburetor it is running. I am pretty sure it isn't the stock one and the only identification I've found is this tag on the side.

As far as I can tell, the tag reads:

Motorcraft
DOPFK
A7F2O

But every search I do gives me vague or contradictory information.

Pulling some of this out of my rear end, but this is what I've turned up searching for D0PF-K.

Should be a single barrel made by Holley for Ford, Holley/Autolite 1940, made in 1970. I'm at a loss on the A7F20, but the 1940 line appears to be for Ford inline 4/6 engines up to 233ci. That particular carb isn't original, but it's likely dealer installed. Looks like rebuild kits are still floating around.

Some sort of manual?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 30, 2010

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

taupoke posted:

Is it true that in a car accident a windshield will only crack if it is either chipped or has a chip in it? My insurer is being such a tremendous oval office it's actually unbelievable...

Absolutely not. If the accident deformed the frame around the windshield the stress on the glass can cause a crack without shattering it, the actual jolt of the accident may crack it, a piece of flying debris from the accident may strike the windshield and crack it, in some vehicles the air bag going off can crack the windshield, etc. That's assuming you mean a single or branching crack and not shattered.

Sure it's more likely to crack where there is a chip, but how would they prove an unfilled chip was there before the accident and didn't happen during? If there was a filled chip there's no problem.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

zamin posted:

I had this problem and it was a bad (read: old and falling apart) alternator belt. Large chunks of the ribbing had come off over time, and so it wouldn't make a solid connection to the pullies. After driving it for about 10-15 seconds, the belt had warmed up enough that it could get good traction on the pullies and the sound would stop. It also only happened with throttle or under load, so the symptoms are the same.

Also, as for your question about if a belt would last that long, mine was like that for several months and several thousand miles simply because I thought it was a symptom of a completely different problem. When I finally managed to fix that problem, the noise was still there, so I found the belt problem and fixed it. If a belt deteriorates just right, it can last a lot longer than you'd think before it completely fails.

If changing the belt(s) out doesn't fix it, I've also heard that small vacuum leaks, either from a vacuum line or a gasket on your intake side, can cause the same problem (air leaking causing a vibrating of material similar to buzzing a blade of grass or something) and the noise goes away after a short time for a similar reason (the material warms up and mostly seals the hole). If it's a not-too-terribly-essential vacuum line or a small leak in your intake gasket, you probably won't notice much of a performance hit. Then again, fixing the problem, if it is that kind of problem, since it's been going on for so long, you might not know that you've taken a performance hit since you're so used to driving with it.

I talked to my dad and we're going to fix it some weekend, unless the directions are like "take engine out of vehicle." My dad swears he got the belt changed a few years ago and the problem stopped for awhile, but its obviously back. In terms of performance, I don't expect much out of the vehicle but it still gets combined about 37 mpg.

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

pienipple posted:

Absolutely not. If the accident deformed the frame around the windshield the stress on the glass can cause a crack without shattering it, the actual jolt of the accident may crack it, a piece of flying debris from the accident may strike the windshield and crack it, in some vehicles the air bag going off can crack the windshield, etc. That's assuming you mean a single or branching crack and not shattered.

Sure it's more likely to crack where there is a chip, but how would they prove an unfilled chip was there before the accident and didn't happen during? If there was a filled chip there's no problem.

There is no chip that can be found by the assessor as well... What I've learned about car insurance is that you have to fight these cunts every single step of the way as they'll come up with any excuse to not pay. They are replacing the windscreen but only because the assessor handled my case really badly and they're doing me a "favour" to make up for it. gently caress you Santam, you loving sharks!

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Eponine posted:

I talked to my dad and we're going to fix it some weekend, unless the directions are like "take engine out of vehicle." My dad swears he got the belt changed a few years ago and the problem stopped for awhile, but its obviously back. In terms of performance, I don't expect much out of the vehicle but it still gets combined about 37 mpg.

One of the very first things I learned to do on a car was change a serpentine belt, and even learning how to do it, it took maybe 20 minutes. And this was back when changing the oil was something I had only an idea of how to do. Granted, that was on a 94 S10 V6 so there was a lot of space to work, which your Corolla might not have. This is one of those jobs that costs you $15 tops for a new belt and then 10 minutes of your time if you have any sort of mechanical inclination at all.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

zamin posted:

One of the very first things I learned to do on a car was change a serpentine belt, and even learning how to do it, it took maybe 20 minutes. And this was back when changing the oil was something I had only an idea of how to do. Granted, that was on a 94 S10 V6 so there was a lot of space to work, which your Corolla might not have. This is one of those jobs that costs you $15 tops for a new belt and then 10 minutes of your time if you have any sort of mechanical inclination at all.

Its a small car and even for a 97, there's not a ton of room under the hood. The person who responded first was right, its a transverse-mounted engine, so the belt is right against the wheel. I'm minorly mechanically inclined, I can show you how an engine works with some inappropriate hand gestures, and I mostly know what happens when poo poo goes bad. I'm more worried about the brute force involved because I'm *~*just a girl*~*. Like when I rotate my tires, I stand and jump on the wrench to get the bolt to break.

In truth, I've been thinking about getting ASE certified since clearly college was a bust.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
On any Ford i've ever used, you need 15 and 16mm combination wrenches. You put the properly sized (I forget which one is the actual size) box end of one wrench on the tensioner pulley, then slip the box end of the other wrench over one ear on the open end of the first wrench. Then you push in a clockwise direction to loosen the belt, slip it off and go to town. It requires maybe 15 pounds of force at the end of both wrenches.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I just bought a new front hub bearing and noticed the inner race can slide in and out of the hub a full centimeter. Is this normal?

I always assumed the bearing itself prevents lateral movement of the wheel, meaning if I installed this my wheel will be free to pop out sideways a centimeter whenever it feels like it?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Xy Hapu posted:

I just bought a new front hub bearing and noticed the inner race can slide in and out of the hub a full centimeter. Is this normal?

I always assumed the bearing itself prevents lateral movement of the wheel, meaning if I installed this my wheel will be free to pop out sideways a centimeter whenever it feels like it?

That's definitely not right. That's front wheel drive? If so, you probably shouldn't be able to get the bearings in or out without a press.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

EightBit posted:

That's definitely not right. That's front wheel drive? If so, you probably shouldn't be able to get the bearings in or out without a press.

It's actually not that the entire bearing is sliding in and out of the hub, it's that the bearing's inner race slides side to side in it's outer race. Basically it looks as if someone installed an inner race that's too wide, allowing it to not only rotate on the ball bearings but move side to side as well.

The car's RWD ('97 318i). The bearing came in a National box, which I've heard is a decent brand. Now that I look closely though, it doesn't match the picture on the Advance Auto site at all, and the only identification mark on the hub itself reads 'Koyo' . . . and the hub looks exactly like the one made by Koyo. Which is supposedly another decent brand.

Someone bought a Koyo hub online, realized it was hosed, bought a National at Advance Auto, swapped and returned, and now I got it? :iiam: I'm still not sure if it's really hosed or if it's normal, leaning heavily toward the former though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

97 sunfire gt, really weird issue:

Within 10 minutes of starting the car it would:
-Hit about 3k rpm, cough, shake, sputter, and stall.
-I could get it to continue to cough etc by starting it and putting my foot down, but it'd stall out again in about 10 seconds or less.
-Didn't matter if I was in gear, or just reving in neutral.
-Car shook like crazy during all of this.

Its only done this twice, and it was in the last 1/4 of a tank of gas I got from a seemingly run down gas station. It hasn't done this since I've refilled the tank. Does this sound like bad gas, or should I continue to investigate?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Not really worth starting a new thread for this, but what can you tell me about the 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra? Maybe meatpimp will come out of the ether for this... Coming for the supercharger, staying for the luxury. I know the 3800 is a time tested engine and near bullet proof, but I've heard there can be problems with the transmissions on these. Beyond that, people generally seem to like them. Just wanting to see if an '01 with 93K on the clock is worth it for $6,500.

Osmium Tetroxide
Jan 28, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

It's actually not that the entire bearing is sliding in and out of the hub, it's that the bearing's inner race slides side to side in it's outer race. Basically it looks as if someone installed an inner race that's too wide, allowing it to not only rotate on the ball bearings but move side to side as well.

The car's RWD ('97 318i). The bearing came in a National box, which I've heard is a decent brand. Now that I look closely though, it doesn't match the picture on the Advance Auto site at all, and the only identification mark on the hub itself reads 'Koyo' . . . and the hub looks exactly like the one made by Koyo. Which is supposedly another decent brand.

Someone bought a Koyo hub online, realized it was hosed, bought a National at Advance Auto, swapped and returned, and now I got it? :iiam: I'm still not sure if it's really hosed or if it's normal, leaning heavily toward the former though.

I'd get this fixed as soon as possible. Your wheel could fall off. Is the big castelated nut torqued right? There's a specific method to do so. Unless it's magical BMW engineering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My Ranger's wheels are rusted through. :suicide:

I couldn't figure out where the slow leak was coming from, but it turns out there's a tiny crack in the layers of rust directly opposite my tread, in the "middle" of my wheel. I'm bad at describing this.

So, I need new wheels. My mechanic brother tells me the bolt pattern is 5x4.5, which I hear is very common, but what about offset (or backspace, or whatever the hell)? Where do I find that information?

• Locked thread