Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not a car but I just had to post this....

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/trp/2086928267.html

quote:

NEED HELP FINISHING AND TUNING MEGASQUIRT IN MY CAR. ITS A 83 PORSCHE 944. HALL EFFECT TRIGGER. I WILL PAY CASH.

Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudgeFerrariBravo
Apr 2, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Alfa made a car with a boxer motor? Why do they insist on trying to get all of my money/sanity?

Yup, they made several. Dating from the 80's right up until 1997, when they got canned in favour of the T-Spark units. Used to the the staple of smaller four cylinder Alfas: the Sprint, Alfasud, 33 and more recently the 145 and 146 all had boxer engines, with the V6's reserved for the GTV and the bigger saloons.

My Dad had an Alfa 146 with the 1.6 boxer engine quite a few years back. Noisy as hell for a small four cylinder hatchback, but it was a fantastic noise.

As far as I can remember, there were 1.3, 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 16v variants. I don't think there was a 1400cc one though. so I think that one is actually a 1.3. Also, worth bearing in mind that even a decent one is only worth about $1000 anywhere outside the US.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Gnaghi posted:

I was bored so I did the "Invested" search on CL. It did not disappoint.

Click here for the full 1248x640 image.

Click here for the full 1250x638 image.

64K Invested!!

Click here for the full 1253x640 image.

Why would someone do that? I mean? Why? :psyduck:
Also, the first time I read that, I read farad capacitor as Flux capacitor. I am disappointed that is not capable of time travel. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey lets all go broke together.

http://bringatrailer.com/

quote:

This 1962 Alfa Romeo Sprint Giulietta has extensive SCCA race history in the Midwest, and was last raced in 2005. It includes two logbooks as well as a Washington title. Find it here on Craigslist in Friday Harbor, Washington for $17,500. Special thanks to BaT reader Rich C. for this submission!

quote:

This 1968 Fiat 850 Berlina is a model seldom seen in the USA but is very cool looking thanks to the stubby trunk and rounded grille-less nose. We would take the Abarth scheme down a notch on this one, losing the hood graphics and the top stripe if possible. Then we’d mount up the stock 12″ steel wheels (included), or even consider widening them first. Find it here on Craigslist in Salem, Oregon for $8k. Special thanks to BaT reader Craig F. for this submission!

gently caress getting a Vette or Porsche for $70k.

quote:

Even in a world overfilled with tupperware Cobras and ‘32 Fords, we can still find time to appreciate an interesting limited production track-driven replica. This custom build does a reasonably good job of replicating a Ferrari P4 body, but the best part is what’s inside. It is powered by an Alfa Romeo V6 with straight pipes and has a full tube frame. The sound alone would likely sell us on this car if we encountered it in the pits, but amazingly it is also street registered. It is available near Chicago, Illinois for $75k OBO. Contact us at mail@bringatrailer.com if you are interested.

They also have an under $20k section.

http://bringatrailer.com/category/under-20k/

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Searching for 'invested' delivers again:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2082661875.html

CUSTOM CHEVROLET AVALANCHE 70K INVESTED 36K MILES - $45000 (PORTLAND)
Date: 2010-11-27, 3:54PM PST

quote:

CUSTOM 2007 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A ONE OF A KIND RARE 6 PASSANGER AVALANCHE 4X4 WITH 36K MILES. THIS IS MY BABY OVER 70K INVESTED. ADULT OWNED, NEVER OFFROAD, BEST OF EVERYTHING AND NO EXPENSES SPARED. HERE IS A LIST OF CUSTOM PARTS:

RANCHO 6" SUSPENSION LIFT CUSTOM 2" BODY LIFT
35" TOYO MT MUD TERRIANS WITH KMC ROCKSTAR WHEELS
RHINO LINED UNDER CARRIAGE AND BED
FLOW MASTER EXHAUST
REAL FREIGHT TRAIN HORN WITH 5 GALLON AIR COMPRESSOR
5.3L V8 WITH 4:56 GEAR CHANGE
SUPER CHIPS UPDATABLE ELECTRONIC CHIP
IRON BULL FRONT AND REAR CUSTOM BUMPERS
BUSHWACKER FENDER FLARES
PIAA LIGHTS FRONT AND REAR
WARN WINCH (NEVER USED)
10K STEREO WITH DUAL DVD PLAYERS: KENWOOD NAVIGATION
MTX SUBWOOFER AND ALPINE SPEAKERS THROUGHOUT
CUSTOM PAINTED GRILL AND LIGHTS TO MATCH COLOR
CHEVROLET ONE TON MIRRORS
LIMO TINTED WINDOWS THROUGHOUT
CUSTOM HEATED SEATS
CUSTOM LEATHER SEATS WITH ORANGE STITCHING
RARE 6 PASSANGER FRONT AND REAR BENCHES
TRAILER BRAKE
DUAL BATTERIES
7 YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS DONT HESITATE TO ASK. IS THIS A SHOW/SEMA TRUCK? NO, BUT IS IT THE NICEST REGULARLY DRIVEN AVALANCHE YOU WILL EVER FIND. IT TURNS HEADS WHERE EVER YOU GO. BRING ON YOUR DIESELS THIS TRUCK FLAT OUT PULLS AS FAST AS YOU WANT TO GO! CALL OR TEXT BRENT 971-645-0971. 45000.00 OR BEST OFFER

I forgot how bloated and disgusting these loving trucks are. 35" tires look *tiny* on that monstrosity.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I think it is an improvement

I am pretty sure it is because I am used to seeing them with plastic cladding.

Also, I'm pretty sure those aren't 35" tires, unless the doors are over 3 feet tall below the window.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 1, 2010

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

akeidolon posted:

Searching for 'invested' delivers

fiero spotted

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't lie, you'd drive the poo poo out of it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/2079666642.html
$50k invested.
(impossible to screenshot the ad it's all in big gently caress off font with a picture every line)

I also saw another one, it's not worth linking but mildly funny:
Porshce 944... over $17k invested... $4400 obo.

Poor 944 owner :smith:

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

NOTinuyasha posted:

fiero spotted

Oh, Jesus, what an amazing way to die.

And so close... :smith:

E: Oh wait, that says $25,500, not $2,550. :lol:

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

NOTinuyasha posted:

fiero spotted

Man if you custom fabricated something like that Ferrari P4 from a few posts up this would be the baddest whip around.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

NOTinuyasha posted:

fiero spotted

Oh hey, someone found a clever way to sell off their gimmick gokart project. You see these kinds of monstrosities all the time on eKarting. Someone hears that people run a CR125, and they figure any 4-cycle Bike engine will do.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

slidebite posted:

Invested search again.

Sadly, pretty much the state of 99% of all existing CRXs

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1986-Honda-CRX-Hatchback-for-sale-or-trade-W0QQAdIdZ244203327

Bahahaahaha $4300 for an 86' CRX?

I bought a near perfect condition 00' Si for less than that. This guy is insane, but I guess that is pretty obvious because...drat just look at that loving thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

electricsugar posted:

Bahahaahaha $4300 for an 86' CRX?
Everything about that poor car is a joke.

Even though I'm completely aware that buying the following car would be the equivalent of financial suicide, am I a bad person for still wanting it?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-BMW-8-Series-850i-red-black-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ213468385

quote:

Recent maintenance cost over $13,000. Yes it is true, you will be buying the car for less than the money put into the car in the past 6000km.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slidebite posted:

Even though I'm completely aware that buying the following car would be the equivalent of financial suicide, am I a bad person for still wanting it?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-BMW-8-Series-850i-red-black-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ213468385

Hell no. One of my colleagues has a metallic purple 850i and it's abso-loving-lutely glorious in every way.

Of course, 99% of the time he rides to train to work, dunno why, though ;)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

You can pick up a Japanese import one for less than that, and it will still be left hand drive and not have a complete suspension replacement including control arms (!)

In fact, I'd wager that that's exactly what this one is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In fact, I'd wager that that's exactly what this one is.

I can pretty much guarantee it is as well, but in the "brief bit" of curiously looking that I've done, you would actually have a hard time importing one for less than this, not including any work needed before it can get registered in Canada.

Not that I'm seriously considering it.

Or am I? :ohdear:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I also saw an 850i for sale in Montreal when I was shopping for a car, and it was about same year and same price. My spidey sense told me that I would probably spend nearly as much as the purchase price every year in maintenance, so I let it slide.

Also it's gotta cost a mint to insure a sports coupe with a V12 engine.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

slidebite posted:

Hey, buddy, nice Supra!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

I can pretty much guarantee it is as well, but in the "brief bit" of curiously looking that I've done, you would actually have a hard time importing one for less than this, not including any work needed before it can get registered in Canada.

Not that I'm seriously considering it.

Or am I? :ohdear:
I heard the V8 models are a far better car to live with daily. But the 8 Series was the best impression of a Jaguar that BMW could do.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

There's been one of these for sale here in Ottawa for at least a year for 4k more with more than twice the KM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

I heard the V8 models are a far better car to live with daily. But the 8 Series was the best impression of a Jaguar that BMW could do.

Exactly.

Based mostly on the 7-series so parts are hideously expensive.

Except for the parts unique to the 8-series. Those are downright apocalyptically expensive.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I'm not sure why this car is only $3k, but right now I wish I had $3k in my bank account

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/2088693011.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

slidebite posted:

Buy it and post a trip report or open blog about it!

No really, buy an 840 instead. Almost the same horsepower, less weight, and a more common V8 to deal with instead of the crazy V12.

An 850CSi is my dream car, though.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2090132463.html

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

Shouldn't that be 6 wheel off-road?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cop posted:

Shouldn't that be 6 wheel off-road?

I don't think anyone publishes that magazine.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I don't think anyone publishes that magazine.

They should. I'd subscribe to it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pilsner posted:

An 850CSi is my dream car, though.

Alpina B12 5.7 Coupé :swoon:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Gnaghi posted:

I was bored so I did the "Invested" search on CL. It did not disappoint.

Ha, I just tested this on mine and apparently we're in pretty much the same area (CNJ?) cause that Aries was the first thing that came up. I thought maybe it was a scam they posted widespread but checked back to yours and it's posted in Hamilton as well. What are the odds?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

1966 Thunderbird - $900

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2093927663.html

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Harmburger posted:

1966 Thunderbird - $900

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2093927663.html

Fuuuuuu... I wish I had $900. And lived nearby. I would buy the gently caress out of that just for the engine to power my '64 Country Squire.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

akeidolon posted:

Fuuuuuu... I wish I had $900. And lived nearby. I would buy the gently caress out of that just for the engine to power my '64 Country Squire.

It's in my neighborhood, but my experience with working on cars has been purely cosmetic. I have no garage and it's going to be cold as hell for the next 6 months or so.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

You Am I posted:

When I worked at a BMW/Acura dealership, their master tech said the best way to find a good German car mechanic was look for a shop with a running 850i out front. Oddly enough, last year I found a really good mechanic for my S4 and one time when I brought my car in, he had a freshly fixed 850Csi someone had brought in.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Muffinpox posted:

When I worked at a BMW/Acura dealership, their master tech said the best way to find a good German car mechanic was look for a shop with a running 850i out front. Oddly enough, last year I found a really good mechanic for my S4 and one time when I brought my car in, he had a freshly fixed 850Csi someone had brought in.

Troubleshooting these really isn't that bad. The nice part about the M70 V12 is that it is built and managed like 2 I6s joined at the crank - there's two of everything, including ECMs. Got a problem with one bank? Start swapping sensors over. If the problem follows the thing you just changed, bam, you found the cause. Can't really do that with other engines. Common V12 trouble spots and symptoms are all over the 8 series forums, and there are write ups on how to do just about everything. There is nothing about these motors that make them special - they are an old design, not really any fancy tech or electronics involved. This motor was first used in the 7 series in the late '80s. Their biggest claim to fame is that they are IIRC BMW's first attempt at drive-by-wire. Mine has a V8 though, which I prefer - although, if I ever move to a place with more room and have the itch to buy another, I'd like to get one of the V12 cars to play with.

The cars are loaded up with early - mid '90s electronics though. There are computers and modules for just about everything. I had a seat control module fail on mine last year - the logic somehow got scrambled so that the seat controls worked in reverse. :wtc: Lots of the electrical gremlins you hear about in the 8 series can be traced back to old / dying batteries. Maintaining good batteries is absolutely critical with these, as old batteries can cause all sorts of wacky electronic behavior that most people wouldn't think could be caused by a stupid battery. If you're not familiar with this quirk of these cars, you might start throwing (expensive) parts at it which won't fix the problem. This alone has probably caused lots of people (and mechanics) to dismiss it as an "unreliable, unfixable piece of poo poo."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Does a dying (or just anything-less-than perfect?) battery cause permanent damage, or is it something that is fixed when the battery is replaced?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Does a dying (or just anything-less-than perfect?) battery cause permanent damage, or is it something that is fixed when the battery is replaced?

999/1000 times the problems go away once the batteries are replaced. That said, there is some speculation that dying batteries may cause permanent damage in certain cases. I have a feeling this is what hosed up my seat computer. I had let the batteries go flat over the winter, as I had the car apart to work on it and got caught in the cold. I resumed the project in the spring, and tried moving the seat when the batteries were still really low - this is when I noticed that the controls were reversed (it was fine when I had started working on it). The seat never worked right after that, until I replaced that module. Could have been coincidence, but I don't know.

Content:
No pic, but maybe actual gold? '90 E30 vert, 55,000 miles, broken timing belt. $1000.
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2070931812.html

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

No pic, but maybe actual gold? '90 E30 vert, 55,000 miles, broken timing belt. $1000.
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2070931812.html

Ugh no. $500. A 55,000 mile bent valve is still a bent valve.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Jorsh posted:

Ugh no. $500. A 55,000 mile bent valve is still a bent valve.

Right, but I'd rather have a 55k mile car needing a rebuilt engine than a running 200k mile car with who-knows-what kind of history on it...and the no rust thing is a pretty big deal for a 20 year old car up here in the land of salt. I figure he could probably be talked down at least a couple hundred as well. Would be an excellent starting point for a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Do we know it is an interference engine?