Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

keveh posted:

I quite enjoyed the Morgana show, Lady Gaga going past on a lawn mower had me in stitches.

I saw Frankie Boyle live last week, his show was literally parts of his stand up with poo poo sketches thrown in. Very disappointed. Infact I wasn't too impressed with his stand up, he still did jokes about Jade Goody for god sake.

Did he have the Canadian guy doing the support? I found the Canadian much better than the main attraction to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

keveh posted:

I saw Frankie Boyle live last week, his show was literally parts of his stand up with poo poo sketches thrown in.

I don't know if 'literally his stand up with sketches in' is really grounds for complaint. It's a pretty common format for comedians, even Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was the same.

I'm sure the actual show was poo poo, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stewart Lee, at least, had an entertaining stand up show and the sketches were relatively well thought-out. This is just bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

John Charity Spring posted:

I don't know if 'literally his stand up with sketches in' is really grounds for complaint. It's a pretty common format for comedians, even Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle was the same.

I'm sure the actual show was poo poo, though.

It is if he releases the standup DVD at the same time and plugs it during the show. I used to like Boyle, but everything he's said in the papers, and his first stand up DVD have really put me off him. He just comes across as having an ego that massively outweighs his ability.

He likes to act like the old man on the mountain dispensing wisdom about when other comedians aren't funny, turns out he's a poo poo one trick pony who gave up his golden ticket.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I like frankie Boyle on panel shows and don't think Mock the Week has been the same without him but on his own he is just a bit repetitive and thinks he is a lot edgier than he actually is.

There's quite a few comedians like that who are strongest in back and forth but sadly they get swept up in their own hype and go off to do solo stuff that never lives up.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I thought it was pretty funny. Wish I hadn't watched his new DVD last week though. Almost every bit of stand up (except the first 10 minutes maybe) were lifted directly from his last tour.

Loose Women Iran was the best bit by far.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I watched Tramadol Nights too, and am similarly unimpressed. I used to find Frankie Boyle hilarious and refuse to believe my comedy sensibilities have changed much since he left mock the week. I'll watch it again but i only laughed at the kitt sketch last night. shock humour's just a bit poo poo i guess?

edit: actually that loose women Iran was pretty good, yeah

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

There's quite a few comedians like that who are strongest in back and forth but sadly they get swept up in their own hype and go off to do solo stuff that never lives up.

I kinda feel like Russel Brand fits this - he was really good on Big Brother's Big Forum (before Big Brother's Big Mouth) where he chaired the panel and he mostly had to come up with witty retorts.
When he had control of the show it was loving wank, though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Did he have the Canadian guy doing the support? I found the Canadian much better than the main attraction to be honest.

I suspect you're talking about Stewart Francis by the way, and yeah, he's really good.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

BizarroAzrael posted:

I suspect you're talking about Stewart Francis by the way, and yeah, he's really good.

Is that the one-liner guy from Children In Need Mastermind?

keveh posted:

I'm in Horwich, I remember watching the Bolton Evening News website stream of it when it was happening.

I was a bit 50/50 about it all. At some points the police were unfair on people and some looked like they were out for scrap, the words they used at times were threats waiting to be reacted upon.

But after watching the whole series I'm not sure that I can blame them to be honest. They don't half put up with a lot of crap from the public, there were some perfect examples last night. No doubt there have been 'events' like this in the past where things have gone horribly wrong, so they just have to go off what they've experienced in the past.

The people who were trying to pass legal advice cards to the newly arrested seemed willfully obstructive. If you feel you know enough about the law and legal practices to go around trying to help people, surely you'd know that all arrested in the UK will be informed of their legal rights at the station. But then the flipside of that is the copper in a previous episode who was dismayed that suspected criminals had any human rights.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Padje posted:

Is that the one-liner guy from Children In Need Mastermind?

Not seen it but he is very much a one-liner guy. Sounds like he's channelling Steve Martin a lot of the time.

"I do tell a lot of racist jokes, but that's okay, all my friends are racist too."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried watching the Stewart Francis DVD after being recommended it in work. Can't say I found what I saw of it to be that great. Fast burst jokes can be OK but they have to either be very clever/slightly surreal (like Steven Wright) or utterly groan worthy. Francis' material just sits in the middle and doesn't work amazingly well.

There's at least 20 of these 'just in time for Xmas' discs and none of them appear to hold a candle to Lee or Herrings efforts from earlier in the year. Al Murrays and Sean Locks seem alright, but nothing special, Boyles is the usual c-grade material interspersed with sometimes amusing audience participated call outs and while I'll give the rest a shot there's not many which make me think 'ooh this might be good.'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

The pHo posted:

Tried watching the Stewart Francis DVD after being recommended it in work. Can't say I found what I saw of it to be that great. Fast burst jokes can be OK but they have to either be very clever/slightly surreal (like Steven Wright) or utterly groan worthy. Francis' material just sits in the middle and doesn't work amazingly well.

There's at least 20 of these 'just in time for Xmas' discs and none of them appear to hold a candle to Lee or Herrings efforts from earlier in the year. Al Murrays and Sean Locks seem alright, but nothing special, Boyles is the usual c-grade material interspersed with sometimes amusing audience participated call outs and while I'll give the rest a shot there's not many which make me think 'ooh this might be good.'

How about the new Bill Bailey DVD? Anyone checked that out yet? I was pretty disappointed by Tinselworm, but he's had a few years since then to come up with new material, and hopefully will avoid making lame George Bush jokes this time.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's the name of the standup who has really messy mop top hair, big thick glasses and does a standup routine about how he got over his stuttering by tapping out the syllables of words on his thigh? Think Stewart Lee mentioned how good he was during his bit on one of those top 100 comedian things.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

BizarroAzrael posted:

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

No, it wasn't him although I do really like Stewart Francis.

The support was Canadian but it was Craig Campbell.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

I don't know if 'literally his stand up with sketches in' is really grounds for complaint.

It is if half of his stand up was poor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

keveh posted:

It is if half of his stand up was poor.
Also, he's being paid to make his own TV programme featuring stand up and is using stuff that he's selling to punters at the same time.

He's like a Scottish Peter Kay.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hey, who remembers muslims eh ? Ach they were funny weren't they ?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

thebardyspoon posted:

What's the name of the standup who has really messy mop top hair, big thick glasses and does a standup routine about how he got over his stuttering by tapping out the syllables of words on his thigh? Think Stewart Lee mentioned how good he was during his bit on one of those top 100 comedian things.
Daniel Kitson

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He's like a Scottish Peter Kay.

No, he's the Scottish Jimmy Carr.

Kevin Bridges is so obviously the Scottish Peter Kay.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jimmy Carr is funny though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Perfect Element posted:

How about the new Bill Bailey DVD? Anyone checked that out yet? I was pretty disappointed by Tinselworm, but he's had a few years since then to come up with new material, and hopefully will avoid making lame George Bush jokes this time.

Ah yeah forgot I watched that. I never made it through all of Tinselworm, it just wasn't hitting with me at all. Dandelion is better, but not classic Bailey to me. I think he absolutely peaked with Part Troll Been a fan ever since C4 aired a cut down version of Bewilderness in the 90s. Glad he's doing really well now, the audience for that show is huge, but there doesn't seem to be much progression between his shows now.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

No, he's the Scottish Jimmy Carr.
Jimmy Carr has released a DVD in early November every year since 2004. I've watched a few of them, but I gather from this that a lot of his stuff is recycled?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Some Strange Flea posted:

Jimmy Carr has released a DVD in early November every year since 2004. I've watched a few of them, but I gather from this that a lot of his stuff is recycled?

I don't know, I've only seen one of Carr's DVDs. They're just similar in that they both do short, punchy gags in a deadpan style and have stupid laughs.

Boyle is terrible for reusing the same material all the time, I doubt Jimmy Carr is as bad in that respect.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hey, who remembers those loving muslims eh ? Ach they were as funny as the rotting body of jade goody being shat on by a coked up john leslie ?

I have fixed that for you to be more realistic.

Tinselworm

Never mention Tinselworm

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Leyburn posted:

I don't know, I've only seen one of Carr's DVDs. They're just similar in that they both do short, punchy gags in a deadpan style and have stupid laughs.

Boyle is terrible for reusing the same material all the time, I doubt Jimmy Carr is as bad in that respect.

While he does reuse the same one-liners in interviews, as far as I know each of Carr's DVDs has been a new act.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Oben posted:

Daniel Kitson

People talk about this guy being the best comedian ever, but he refuses to do anything for TV so I've never been able to see him. It's pretty annoying. I think he needs to get over it.

It's much better than the last one, which was way too bombastic and extravagant, but it's still not as good as the old stuff. He has some pretty good stand-up sections, but the songs just aren't as good as the old ones.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Jimmy Carr is funny though.

Hahaha. Guess who writes a lot of Jimmy Carr's material!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Your mum ?

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

fuf posted:

People talk about this guy being the best comedian ever, but he refuses to do anything for TV so I've never been able to see him. It's pretty annoying. I think he needs to get over it.

To add to the annoyance, he was easily the best stand up I have ever seen.

I think Peter Kay has given him nightmares about working on TV.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Dara 'O Briains DVD is really good, hes the happy medium between comics like Michael 'Gosh aren't I nice and boring' McIntyre and Frankie 'I'm so edgy...you oval office!' Boyle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Aww, Getting On is over already?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

keveh posted:

I've seen Kitson twice. The first, he just kept going on about food and how it welded with his relationships, and it was so endearing. The second was about a flat he rented in London and seemed to serve as an allegory for a girlfriend he had. It was also great, sacrificing humour for being touching, and was more of a one man play. No recycling at all, and I'd definitely see him a third time.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

keveh posted:

I think Peter Kay has given him nightmares about working on TV.

The GoFasterStripe guys should approach him about recording a show for DVD, they did it for a bunch of Richard Herring stuff that worked really well as well as one Stewart Lee show that was presumably a bit much for HMV (anyone who's seen it will know why)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

reflir posted:

Hahaha. Guess who writes a lot of Jimmy Carr's material!

Who?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Good thing the topic is about standup at the moment because that's what I came here to ask. Stewart Lee is my favourite standup artist going and I love his brand of alternative comedy. In that regard I love Richard Herring's shows too due to it being a different kind of humour, aside from the usual observational standup.

What I want to ask is which alterative standup artists I look into next, with Stewart Lee being a favourite? I know he's getting quite popular again but his style is still really something else (and I absolutely loving love it).

Speaking of Jimmy Carr, I did watch his latest the other day, as by now you can go into his show with reasonable expectations knowing it's going to be an easy-watching one-liner fest, and is it just me or was he really struggling with his style this tour? There's so much recycled material, poor jokes and basically no evolution (understandable) or actual improvement of jokes from his previous works. He was also way softer on the audience.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

A5H posted:

Who?

Jimmy Carr.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

A5H posted:

Who?

Frankie Boyle!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Idioteque Dance posted:

Good thing the topic is about standup at the moment because that's what I came here to ask. Stewart Lee is my favourite standup artist going and I love his brand of alternative comedy. In that regard I love Richard Herring's shows too due to it being a different kind of humour, aside from the usual observational standup.

What I want to ask is which alterative standup artists I look into next, with Stewart Lee being a favourite? I know he's getting quite popular again but his style is still really something else (and I absolutely loving love it).
His style is not really similar to Stewart Lee's at all but Hans Teeuwen has a really good "alternative" standup show, it's often really weird and I've not seen anything like it but it's very funny. One of the few standup acts I really like, check out his Live in London dvd I think some of it is on youtube for a start

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Stand-Up chat: Gina Yashere is a billion times funnier live than she ever was on Mock The Week. Greg Davies is a loving masterful storyteller, unrealistically nice man and would actually probably make a great motivational speaker. I went to the Birmingham Glee Club last month and saw a stand-up called Adam Bloom who had me shrieking with laughter, but he doesn't seem to do any television stuff.

Rufus Hound performed at my university a couple of times and each time brought the house down, but he was kind of a dick afterwards. I also saw Russell Kane and he was great too, but he's a bit poo poo on the telly for some reason.

On the negative side, I saw Reginald D Hunter a few weeks back and his warm-up act was really boring, plus Hunter's set was nothing special either. He did make a comment about not being used to the size of the theatre (Warwick Arts Centre), though.