Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Wombot posted:

Finally: Jack stands. I know it's been covered in here before, but I went back 20 pages and couldn't find anything. The prevailing opinion is don't by HF's jackstands, buy something reputable, right? What's a reputable brand? Costco has 3 and 6 ton stands, but they're made by the same Torin company out of China.

US Jack seems decent, but I cannot recommend ordering through jack x change as they double billed me and then took their sweet time fixing it while everyone I talked to had a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Wombot posted:

Finally: Jack stands. I know it's been covered in here before, but I went back 20 pages and couldn't find anything. The prevailing opinion is don't buy HF's jackstands, buy something reputable, right? What's a reputable brand? Costco has 3 and 6 ton stands, but they're made by the same Torin company out of China.

I think the prevailing wisdom is not to buy jack stands that are made of sheet metal but rather have large cast steel pieces with thick sheet metal bases.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Check out what I got today:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.
:smug:

for a whopping:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

:mmmsmug:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So your telling us poor bastards to hit up Goodwill?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The HF stands are fine. The welds don't look pretty but it's made from thick steel and the shaft is cast, not stamped.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FatCow posted:

The HF stands are fine. The welds don't look pretty but it's made from thick steel and the shaft is cast, not stamped.

I sound like a broken record on this I'm sure but yeah, any jackstand that's stamped should be avoided like the plague.

On cordless tools - I've seen more than a few highly reviewed 18V Lithium Ion impact drivers that are apparently beefy enough to spin off a lug nut (as long as it wasn't spun on with a 200 ft-lb airgun first). I've been thinking about switching from my mix of 14V and 18V Black & Decker stuff to a Lithium Ion set, but can't quite decide.

I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee M18 system by starting off with this and adding on other devices later. Except that they don't have much other than drills and impact wrenches, and I'd at least like a hand vac I can run on the same battery system, which has me leaning slightly towards Makitas instead.

Edit: Hmm, just noticed the badass Milwaukee shop-vac.

Thoughts?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 1, 2010

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So your telling us poor bastards to hit up Goodwill?

I think I got this from pure luck. Since it was sitting the electronics section, I'm pretty sure no one had a clue that a $100+ impact gun was sitting right in front of them. If it was stocked correctly, it probably would have been gone.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

IOwnCalculus posted:

I sound like a broken record on this I'm sure but yeah, any jackstand that's stamped should be avoided like the plague.

On cordless tools - I've seen more than a few highly reviewed 18V Lithium Ion impact drivers that are apparently beefy enough to spin off a lug nut (as long as it wasn't spun on with a 200 ft-lb airgun first). I've been thinking about switching from my mix of 14V and 18V Black & Decker stuff to a Lithium Ion set, but can't quite decide.

I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee M18 system by starting off with this and adding on other devices later. Except that they don't have much other than drills and impact wrenches, and I'd at least like a hand vac I can run on the same battery system, which has me leaning slightly towards Makitas instead.

Edit: Hmm, just noticed the badass Milwaukee shop-vac.

Thoughts?

e: You're definitely not going to spin off air gun application bolts with that Milwaukee set. Those are the half capacity batteries and tools. The full sized M18 batteries are twice as thick and the tools that use them are more powerful. Makita has the same thing, except their compact line is white to differentiate it.

Sockington LOVES Dewalt 18v stuff.

I have a few Makita 18v LXT tools, namely the BTD141 impact driver and BHP454 drill. Both really impressed me with their power, especially the hammer drill. I haven't yet come across something that the hammer drill can't power through. It has no problem getting through block walls with concrete bits or through deck posts with spade bits. The side handle makes it really controllable, too. The impact gun is good for what I bought it for, small power equipment and trim pieces. I have attempted to take lug nuts off vehicles with it with no effect. At work today, it also failed to remove two rusted wheel bolts from a 2004 snow blower. It was able to get one of the bolts halfway out, but I think that any more torque on those particular bolts will just shear them anyway. In short, the impact driver I have is good for things that can be broken loose with a ratchet and lots of grunting, or for when you don't want to slap a ratchet back and forth for 45 seconds to get that nylock off.

Makita does make one more powerful model 1/4" chucked impact driver than I have. Their 3/8" drive impact guns appear to have more torque on tap than the 1/4" models. They also make a "high torque" electric impact that is HUGE.

The Makita 18v hand vac and fluorescent lamp are on the christmas list, mainly for camping and laziness in the shop.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Bosch's top end is what's on my "attainable dream" cordless tools list.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
I got a Ryobi 18v li-ion impact (Green body) and it spins off lug nuts with ease. It even took off an axle nut that usually needs a 4-foot breaker. It's a monster, and I think it's only $100 for the bare tool. The other Ryobi tools are also great - and who else lets you use the same battery to power a string trimmer or a chainsaw?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jailbait#3 posted:

I got a Ryobi 18v li-ion impact (Green body) and it spins off lug nuts with ease. It even took off an axle nut that usually needs a 4-foot breaker. It's a monster, and I think it's only $100 for the bare tool. The other Ryobi tools are also great - and who else lets you use the same battery to power a string trimmer or a chainsaw?

Do you have an exact model number and can it be bought at Home Depot?

I have some HD gift cards that have been sitting around for awhile and I need a new cordless drill (it is a drill right, not just a cordless impact wrench?)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So, I've been buying tools while working on my car the last 6 months, as well as buying all the tools on my apprentice list for class/work. Are you telling me that Craftsman now makes lovely Chinese tools? My money! :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So, I've been buying tools while working on my car the last 6 months, as well as buying all the tools on my apprentice list for class/work. Are you telling me that Craftsman now makes lovely Chinese tools? My money! :(

If only you'd tried harder to ruin them, you'd have found out by now. Consider loosening bolts by hitting your ratchets with a sledgehammer more often.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skyssx posted:

e: You're definitely not going to spin off air gun application bolts with that Milwaukee set. Those are the half capacity batteries and tools. The full sized M18 batteries are twice as thick and the tools that use them are more powerful. Makita has the same thing, except their compact line is white to differentiate it.

It's still 1400 in-lb of torque (116 ft-lb), it looks like it's the same unit as this review. As far as I can tell the only difference in the battery is capacity - 1.5 Ah in the compact and 3.0 in the full, and you can use either one on either tool.

No, I'm not expecting to get anything off that went on at 160 ft-lb with an airgun, but I avoid tire shops that do it that way anyway.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If any fellow canucks are looking for tools Canadian Tire has some good deals this week. I picked up a Mastercrapcraft drill press and I have to figure out what I'm going to do for a stand. Any suggestions?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

About 50/50 by now since I looked around on Black Friday at Sears. It seems their raised panel and [maybe] polished combo wrenches are still American made, but any other version of combo wrenches (including ratcheting) are made in China. Screwdrivers are still USA-made, as are most sockets and ratchets I saw, but I would not, under any circumstances, buy a Craftsman ratchet in this day and age. I've never seen such sloppy ratcheting action before. I used one a couple of times and feared I'd not only scrape my knuckles when it felt like it would spin, but thought that I'd lose a finger or two in the process. Craftsman ratchets are terrible. Sockets are still decent quality, though, but that laser-etched poo poo is dumb. Just give me stuff like my old Craftsman sockets with the stamped sizes again.

Global economy, my rear end. Craftsman's just gotten cheap and lovely.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Are A Elf posted:

Global economy, my rear end. Craftsman's just gotten cheap and lovely.

Fixed that for you. The price hasn't changed, just the quality.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

If any fellow canucks are looking for tools Canadian Tire has some good deals this week. I picked up a Mastercrapcraft drill press and I have to figure out what I'm going to do for a stand. Any suggestions?

I just put a big heavy drill press on a two-drawer filing cabinet. I found an old one at Goodwill for $5 (US) and it's heavy as all get-out. Makes a nice cabinet for all my hole-making accessories and the height is better for me than normal bench height.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Fixed that for you. The price hasn't changed, just the quality.

I meant cheap as in whoever is making them now (Danaher?) is making them as cheap (and therefore lovely) as they can with plastic pieces and sloppy ratchet innards and pawning them off as the Craftsman brand that used to be excellent quality at a good price. That, or cheap = "lovely," so I basically said lovely twice.

Now just change Broken to Scraped in your name and you'll catch my drift :v:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Anybody have one of the 13 drawer roller cabinets that HF sells? I'm thinking about picking one up to replace my cheap 3-piece Craftsman box, since I'm borderline outgrowing it. Don't think I'll need a top box yet, but I'll probably pick one up come spring. Looks like a much better quality box than my friction-slide Craftsman setup, plus it'd give me a bit more workspace in the garage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/rolling-cabinets/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
For the price you can get something better at sears or home depot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

I meant cheap as in whoever is making them now (Danaher?) is making them as cheap (and therefore lovely) as they can with plastic pieces and sloppy ratchet innards and pawning them off as the Craftsman brand that used to be excellent quality at a good price. That, or cheap = "lovely," so I basically said lovely twice.

Now just change Broken to Scraped in your name and you'll catch my drift :v:

I hear this a lot and it bugs me. Danaher makes a million different things, among them several tool lines. Like Unilever, manufacturer of (among many other things) Breyer's, Ben and Jerry's, Ocean Spray, Slim Fast and Turkey Hill ice creams, Danaher manufactures tools aimed at different market segments, and quality is going to depend on what line you're looking at. Matco, like Ben and Jerry's, is probably going to have higher production standards than Craftsman, or Turkey Hill in this example. Danaher isn't so much making GBS threads them up as treating Craftsman as a bottom-tier brand. Which, given the other brands on their list, is exactly what Craftsman is.

tl;dr: yes they're making Craftsman lovely but it's because Craftsman isn't the same company anymore (hasn't been since 1991) and you're hung up on how the name is the tool.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Splizwarf posted:

I hear this a lot and it bugs me. Danaher makes a million different things, among them several tool lines. Like Unilever, manufacturer of (among many other things) Breyer's, Ben and Jerry's, Ocean Spray, Slim Fast and Turkey Hill ice creams, Danaher manufactures tools aimed at different market segments, and quality is going to depend on what line you're looking at. Matco, like Ben and Jerry's, is probably going to have higher production standards than Craftsman, or Turkey Hill in this example. Danaher isn't so much making GBS threads them up as treating Craftsman as a bottom-tier brand. Which, given the other brands on their list, is exactly what Craftsman is.

tl;dr: yes they're making Craftsman lovely but it's because Craftsman isn't the same company anymore (hasn't been since 1991) and you're hung up on how the name is the tool.

I'm... not hung up on anything *shrug*. I specifically noted that Danaher makes Craftsman (and is therefore pretty much in name only now). One can simply go to their website and see just how much different stuff they make. I'm also well aware about Craftsman not being the same company it once was. Times change, business and business practices change, established names get gobbled up by conglomerates, said established names are made cheaper overseas by conglomerate, say you, say me, Lionel Richie. Sorry for bugging you, I guess.

I also really wish people would stop doing the tl;dr thing for a short paragraph or when tl;dr doesn't make any sense or is merely a wrap-up sentence (such as here). Actually, tl;dr should just be stopped altogether.

Anyway, looking at that amazing Snap-On Goodwill deal posted earlier had me laughing, because I went to Goodwill earlier today and saw a display by the registers full of air tools. Like a giddy tween girl who just saw Justin Bieber, I move toward them to find that they are all Harbor Freight brands priced at a hilarious average of $89 and up. There were also a few 3/4 sockets that were stamped China and probably came from HF, too. Everything was beat to absolute poo poo, and I slowly backed away disappointed. That Goodwill usually has some amazing deals, but man oh man.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Are A Elf posted:

I'm... not hung up on anything *shrug*.

I used to like Craftsman, because it gave the average guy with a weekend project to have a nice set of tools for a good price. Anymore I have been combing HF, finding that most of the tools there are similar in quality to Craftsman (Not all, but it seems like it) but with half the price tag. The HF store near me never has given me 2 words of grief when they can see that I obviously bent a wrench to make a one time use tool, even with the blackening from a torch. They smiled cheerfully and gave me a new one.

I am glad I still have my wrenches from when my dad passed away, though I wanna find the rear end-hat that stole my 7/16 open ended wrench :argh:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Splizwarf posted:

Little known-fact: Craftsman tools are now made on the same production line as Breyer's ice cream, and with the same machinery. If you lick a new tool, you can often tell what flavor was made the run before.

The reverse is true, too. If you get really lucky, you might find a new socket in your cookies'n'cream!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
This is why I don't eat ice cream any more. :tinfoil:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know if this is the right thread, but could someone recommend me a good MIG welder for welding floorpans? I need one that can work on an older '50s car with somewhat thick metal.

Also Craftsman sucks now? MY TOOLBOX :qq:

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

bull3964 posted:

Do you have an exact model number and can it be bought at Home Depot?

I have some HD gift cards that have been sitting around for awhile and I need a new cordless drill (it is a drill right, not just a cordless impact wrench?)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh7/R-202340589/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Rated for 200 ft-lbs! It's light, small, and can hammer for hours on an Li-Ion battery, which unfortunately costs another $70 or so.

It's not a drill, but it will drive lag bolts or whatever all day. No drill/driver will have enough grunt to take off automotive nuts and bolts.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Does anyone know where I can get replacement original style blue rubber grips for Channellock pliers? I only ask because after 40 years of my dad's old tongue and grooves seeing use as an aircraft mechanic tool (with jet fuel abound), the rubber grips have pretty much disintegrated, and what's left is a sort of vomit green. The pliers themselves also turned black, but I cleaned them up with some Liquid Wrench and a wire brush. Now all that's left are the grips and she'll be beautiful once again.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
You could try something like Plasti Dip http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Suniikaa posted:

I took my fathers Craftsman staple gun in to get replaced because the slide wouldn't lock anymore and they basically told me to get hosed, so YMMV.

They have different policies based on the type of tool e.g. I had a jack that blew a seal and apparently that had a 1 yr warranty vs. the 'lifetime' of the ratchets, sockets, etc.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

oxbrain posted:

For the price you can get something better at sears or home depot.

Really? It's been a while since I've shopped tool cabinets, but everything I find online through Sears or HD is usually quite a bit more for a similar sized chest. The Sears ones are all either smaller ball-bearing chests in the 26" range, or by the time you get up to the 40" range you're looking at $700-800+. HD has one that's the same range and slightly smaller, but it's online-only.

I'm hoping one of the local HF stores has them next time I'm up that way, so I can compare it to the Craftsman BB units. Lowes and HD are on my shopping rounds tomorrow morning anyway, so I'll be able to check out their offerings in person as well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Suniikaa posted:

You could try something like Plasti Dip http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I'm really considering Plasti-Dipping my car.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was going to get some of that stuff for a bunch of my tools but had two problems.

It's almost impossible to find where I live and, because it's classified as toxic, it was stupidly expensive to have shipped.

It was about $30 for a small dipping tin and $50 for shipping.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 5, 2010

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Suniikaa posted:

I might just do that if I can't find the blue grips. I'm really surprised there aren't any grips on eBay or Craigslist, but i'll keep trying with different keywords.

Thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You Are A Elf posted:

I might just do that if I can't find the blue grips. I'm really surprised there aren't any grips on eBay or Craigslist, but i'll keep trying with different keywords.

Thanks.

The original blue grips on tools like Channellock are dipped on like plastidip at the factory which would explain why you can't find replacements.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was going to get some of that stuff for a bunch of my tools but had two problems.

It's almost impossible to find where I live and, because it's classified as toxic, it was stupidly expensive to have shipped.

It was about $30 for a small dipping tin and $50 for shipping.

That sucks, they have both the spray and dip at my local Lowes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, I've been looking to buy a welder for welding some floorpans in a car. I've foung this Miller MIG welder on craigslist. Would this be a good buy for the job? And is it a good deal for such a product?

Here's the ad for it: http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/2087442365.html

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Pretty much anything will weld floor pans as theyre not thick nor do they require the utmost structural integrity. It should definitely work. That said I am in Orlando and have a friend on SA who's dad is selling his cheap wirefed welder which will also do the trick. It is flux core but it'll be a lot cheaper. (If youre the engineering type you can convert it to mig)

I think his ID on here is Skipopatomus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

AnomalousBoners posted:

Pretty much anything will weld floor pans as theyre not thick nor do they require the utmost structural integrity. It should definitely work. That said I am in Orlando and have a friend on SA who's dad is selling his cheap wirefed welder which will also do the trick. It is flux core but it'll be a lot cheaper. (If youre the engineering type you can convert it to mig)

I think his ID on here is Skipopatomus.

Sup Orlando buddy.
Anyways, that's good to know. I'm mostly worried about the amp output though. I'm not sure if it's low enough for this kind of job. That being said, I'm no expert on welding and don't really know what I'm talking about.

Also, I've heard Miller is like the best brand, but would it be a good idea to spend an extra $100 for this? A Lincoln+Tank+cart for $500?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/2085739823.html