Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Ned posted:

The short answer is no. The long answer is yes.

Basically you have to check if the post has a thumbnail associated with it. If it doesn't, do it the old way, otherwise, do it the new way.

You can always parse the content of old posts and pull out the first image.
Thanks, I added some logic to the template to detect if it has a thumbnail, and if it doesn't, does it the old way, just have to teach the people in marketing how to use the featured image thing now (admittedly, a bit more complicated than the old way, but it's ok).

Won't work since the posts don't have featured thumbnails, but thanks regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
Does anyone have any recommendations on a preferred naked theme/framework? I've found some lists and most of them seem to have been written before 3.0 was even out, so i'm just wondering if there's a new favored one.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Serfer posted:

Thanks, I added some logic to the template to detect if it has a thumbnail, and if it doesn't, does it the old way, just have to teach the people in marketing how to use the featured image thing now (admittedly, a bit more complicated than the old way, but it's ok).

Won't work since the posts don't have featured thumbnails, but thanks regardless.

Ah, I always code my themes to use the first image if no featured is set as featured.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Hello word press guru types.

I'm in need of some help as I've never created anything but a basic site before and my coding skills haven't really ever taken me into the realm of web stuff before (and I honestly don't have time to spend eons on it now)

I basically need to create this or something similar as my header, the option to have text superimposed in a stylish way would not be unappreciated but isn't necessary:

This is something the designer played with after looking at ThePremiumPress.com and is just a ballpark. The top left will have an unfinalized logo (about the height of the current blue bar.) Below the header will just be a standard two column wordpress site with the events calendar plug in as the only other major thing at the moment.

IDEALLY, the images will be easily changeable through the wordpress admin interface as I don't want to be emailed everytime she needs them changed and she's not techie at all.

The budget for this is nill as it's a family member starting a business on a shoestring, so ideally a plug in that would make this possible, but I'm not averse to buying a theme either as long as it's sub-$50 (unless a bit more money will get her exactly what she wants.) The current site is using the minimahl theme and this is pretty close to what she wants under the header.

Thanks in advance for any help you can toss my way.

Toast fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2010

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Nimrod posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a preferred naked theme/framework? I've found some lists and most of them seem to have been written before 3.0 was even out, so i'm just wondering if there's a new favored one.

I've been doing child themes based on Twenty Ten but a developer I know says he likes the new version of Starkers, which appears to be also based on Twenty Ten. So it might be worth a look: http://starkerstheme.com/

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

cocteau posted:

I've been doing child themes based on Twenty Ten but a developer I know says he likes the new version of Starkers, which appears to be also based on Twenty Ten. So it might be worth a look: http://starkerstheme.com/

http://starkerstheme.com/demo/

It's interesting what they did with that. Is it really necessary?

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

I've recently had a real estate company task me with improving their "SEO". Something which reappeared in the meeting about 20 times. I intend to build a Wordpress installation but I'm not too familiar with SEO companies, one of which they want to hire; is something like the HTP Company legitimate or should I just tell them to drop those guys because they link bait?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I've seen from SEO people are either obvious things (mod_rewrite, use alt text for images, type a description, sitemap, meaningful links, headers) or superstition (change the class names in your CSS, change Javascript comments)

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

rt4 posted:

All I've seen from SEO people are either obvious things (mod_rewrite, use alt text for images, type a description, sitemap, meaningful links, headers) or superstition (change the class names in your CSS, change Javascript comments)

That's what I figured. I didn't know if they had any voodoo wizardry involving Google results or whatever that realtors would want to use.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's SEO plugins for every CMS. Probably couldn't hurt to install one and make sure it's configured well.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Be extremely cautious with clients who focus heavily on SEO, especially if they're not very well informed about it. I've had that come back to bite me in the rear end ("Sure we're the first result for Company Name and a few other things, but we want to be in the top 10 for all these extremely general terms too! You said you could help us with our SEO!").

Make sure they know what to reasonably expect.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I've got a weird bug/glitchy thing going on with one of my test codes.

I'm using an Event Calender plugin for local events. On the main "events page", I've got a WP query set up to fetch 5 upcoming events and spit them out. To do this, I've set a meta key (event_num) to each event (post) in the format of YYYYMMDD, so they are fetched by event date, not the publish date.

Now I've been trying to automate this to have the past events "fall off" when the date passes, instead of manually deleting the meta key. This is the code I've come up with, it's somewhat convoluted, but I won't bother with trimming it until I can have it functioning properly.

php:
<?php $event_date_var date("Ymd"); ?> /* Grabs TODAY'S date in YYYYMMDD" */

<?php echo $event_date_var ?>
<?php
$featuredPosts = new WP_Query();
$featuredPosts->query('meta_key=event_num&showposts=5&cat=5&orderby=meta_value_num&order=ASC');
while ($featuredPosts->have_posts()) : $featuredPosts->the_post(); ?>

<?php $event_arg=get_post_meta($post->ID'event_num'true?> /* Stores the post meta date information as a variable */
<?php if ($event_arg >= $event_date_var) : ?> /*should grab any post that is today's date or an upcoming date */

<ul>
    POST CONTENT
    </ul> 
    <?php else : ?>
     <?php endif; ?>

<?php endwhile; ?>

Now this works when I test it out, but a day later or so, suddenly no posts show up in the query. Sometimes it will only display 4 or 3 posts instead of 5. Anybody have any idea on this? Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do you need more info?

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Sorry if it's been mentioned (a lot of the posts are way more technically-oriented than I am, and it goes over my head), but is there a plugin for polls that everyone seems to like? Ideally I'd like to use the same plugin for a poll on pages (in my sidebar) as well as one I can use in individual posts?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

What's a good event calendar plug in ideally that takes data directly from the post called event rather than a 3rd party calendar like google.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Toast posted:

What's a good event calendar plug in ideally that takes data directly from the post called event rather than a 3rd party calendar like google.

I've tried a bunch out, and i'd have to say my favorite is gigpress. It's fairly easy to work with.

EDIT: if you find one that does exactly what you say, be sure to post it.

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 18, 2010

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Nimrod posted:

I've tried a bunch out, and i'd have to say my favorite is gigpress. It's fairly easy to work with.

EDIT: if you find one that does exactly what you say, be sure to post it.

Will do, it's item 12 on the list of things the site needs at the moment and I have two papers and a presentation to work on, but I'll be looking.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

I use The Events Calendar for a few different sites and it's pretty nice. It will basically turn your %root%/category/events page into an interactive calender than you can style and tweak however you like.

What's really nice though is you can automatically filter events by certain categories, so if you just wanted to see a calender of music events you'd simply go to events/music (or however you have your categories arranged).

I haven't experimented much with the category slugs for customization, but it's a pretty open ended plugin so I'm sure it's possible.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Weirdest Wordpress bug ever, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered it before. It's probably happened a total of 5 times in the past several years of using Wordpress.

Basically, Wordpress decides it hates a certain word. I'll get a 404 error when making a new page or post. So I slowly paste in the content, bit by bit, until I get the error, then I break that piece down until I find the exact word that is causing it.

It's always a different word. It also doesn't have anything to do with a weird character or something funny getting pasted, since I've tried retyping it.

Anyone else experience something like this? I can't fathom the explanation for what would cause a bug like this either, and it's really difficult to explain to clients ("what do you mean I can't use that word?")

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
That seems really crazy. What kind of hosting environment do you have?

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Ned posted:

That seems really crazy. What kind of hosting environment do you have?

Yeah, it does. Are you using the visual or HTML tab to make posts? Is it a regular post or javascript/code heavy?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
John James Jacoby, the guy behind the BBPress re-write (and BuddyPress)that has turned it into a plugin has been hired by Automattic.

http://wpcandy.com/reports/john-james-jacoby-joins-the-automattic-team

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Good for him. I appreciate that Matt hires the best of the community into Automattic and they in turn contribute so much back.

It's an exceptionally unique and effective business model.

The downside of course being that since the guy has three names, he's probably a serial killer or deranged celebrity assassin.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Hey, does anyone know widget logic? Or even just PHP? I'm trying to use it to block a few widgets from multiple categories by modifying the following code:

! ( is_single() && in_category('464') )

To include category 473.

But I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. Can anyone help? Google was of little assistance.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
probably

! ( is_single() && (in_category('464') || in_category('473')))

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Bobx66 posted:

Hey, does anyone know widget logic? Or even just PHP? I'm trying to use it to block a few widgets from multiple categories by modifying the following code:

! ( is_single() && in_category('464') )

To include category 473.

But I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. Can anyone help? Google was of little assistance.

You can also get the TS Custom Widgets plug-in. You can exclude widgets by post/page/categories/tags/authors. I'm using it on a project I'm working on and it's pretty handy.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Thanks so much for the help guys! I was able to figure it out without including both categories but I'm sure I'll need it in the future so I really appreciate it.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Anyone have any ideas as to my previous bug? I have no idea why it isn't functioning as it should, unless I'm trying to do something wordpress just isn't capable of.

Just checked it today, the logic is outputting correctly, but only 4/5 posts are being spit out. What??

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vashro posted:

Anyone have any ideas as to my previous bug? I have no idea why it isn't functioning as it should, unless I'm trying to do something wordpress just isn't capable of.

Just checked it today, the logic is outputting correctly, but only 4/5 posts are being spit out. What??

Try putting the post status in there? It might make a difference. Otherwise print_r on $featuredPosts and see what is in the object.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Man I'm trying to wrap my head around wordpress, but it's weird.

So let's say I've created a page template. It is a form with a simple field, with a submit button.
And then I've created a page using that page template.
How do I post the form to another page, get the query string on the other page then use that information?

I'm just trying to do a slightly dynamic "Page of Posts" thing. :(

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Oh poo poo. I screwed up and I need help. I've never really posted for help, so if this is the wrong place, please have mercy?

Here's the situation. I run a self-hosted blog. I have the site stats set up to be connected to my WP.com blog.

I am also the administrator of my company's self-hosted blog. I wanted to install the wp.com site stats plugin. I created a wp.com account for the company blog.

I then accidentally put in the wrong (read: my personal) API key.

Okay, no problem. I found the tutorial on how to remove it.

Somehow I screwed up.

As it stands now, when I sign into my externally hosted blog and check the site stats, it's telling me that the wp.com I should have associated with it does not have access.

On the wp.com account for my company's blog, I see all my stats for my externally hosted blog as a "linked blog." I see no way to transfer this.

At this point, I don't care about site stats on the company blog. It can keep my drat API. I just want to get my personal blog stats OFF of my company's wp.com account and I want to be able to check my stats from my externally hosted blog.

Help?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So some of the messages in my spam filter seem to be trying to leave comments on an image file, not a post. I have no idea what is going on, but none have passed Askimet's filter.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Eris posted:

At this point, I don't care about site stats on the company blog. It can keep my drat API. I just want to get my personal blog stats OFF of my company's wp.com account and I want to be able to check my stats from my externally hosted blog.

Help?

Do you have a personal API key you can reset? You should check out the settings for the wpstats plugin on your blog I guess.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Tars Tarkas posted:

So some of the messages in my spam filter seem to be trying to leave comments on an image file, not a post. I have no idea what is going on, but none have passed Askimet's filter.

If you can't find anything online, and can't find anything on the Askimet website, I would definitely email them. That sounds like the kind of thing they should know about and be able to fix.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I read through the last several pages and I didn't see anything pertaining to my question so I will take the risk of asking. I am working in Social Media for a company and while most of my focus is on Facebook, twitter, YouTube, foursquare, I would like to get a few blogs going for us. I want to use wordpress as the base for the blogs but after spending the better part of the week digging thru different themes and testing them out, I can't find anything that doesn't look generic/fits my needs.

My actual question is, are there any goons that are available to make a simple theme based on what (I think) I need? I would use the same template for all of the blogs, so I only need one theme. Even modifying a theme that already exists would be fine, I just don't want something boring and plain. Thanks in advance guys!

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
There are many goons that can help, you just need to post your budget so they can figure out what they can do for you.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Whoever managed/designs your company website should design your company wordpress theme to match, only makes sense.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bojanglesworth posted:

My actual question is, are there any goons that are available to make a simple theme based on what (I think) I need? I would use the same template for all of the blogs, so I only need one theme. Even modifying a theme that already exists would be fine, I just don't want something boring and plain. Thanks in advance guys!

Can you get a designer to come up with a layout you like or create a wireframe? There are a few of us here who can probably build whatever you want.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

mcsuede posted:

Whoever managed/designs your company website should design your company wordpress theme to match, only makes sense.

They don't want it to look exactly the same. The point of social media is to have a personal touch and feel to it, not a stamped out version of the same website.

I can come up with a quick design of what I want and the features I need/want. A goon already PMed me earlier and we are talking about my needs so it looks like I am good for now. I will be in here frequently though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So I'm very new to Wordpress (as in I had never messed with it before today) and I have some question for you knowledgeable goons....

We are wanting to do a site for my company (I work for a well known monster truck racing team) and a buddy introduced me WP today. He used a premium template that looks nice, and is very easy to edit.

My question - Are there plugins available to do something like a 3d photo rotation?

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm very unfamiliar with Wordpress. I'm going to keep thumbing through this thread, but does anyone have any recommended template sites that are fully customizable?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. But I am a total beginner and I just bought some hosting to put my basic wordpress blog on. And I am already stuck. I have raised a few tickets but I'm unable to understand their simple replies.

This was their reply after my question.

I've downloaded and extracted the WordPress application to your website folder. Next steps: (1) create a database via SQL > MySQL Manager, (2) use the db name created, login "lostaruban", account password, and hostname "localhost" when it asks for configuration information, and (3) setup a password for the administrative login to WordPress.

And I am still stuck there.

I know this is a very basic question. But I'm stuck. Can anyone help? Thanks.