Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Tim Westwood hosting buzzcocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty Pi
Nov 5, 2005
Yum

LE0N posted:

My favourite character was "bombhead"... :words:

My recollection of how he left the series was also pretty nuts: I think he found his father (or possibly extended family) after his mum's funeral were in a travelling circus so he joined the them as a clown.

At least I think this is what happened. If it were any other soap I'd put this down as something I dreamt, but as this is Hollyoaks it is highly likely.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Atomic Dog posted:

Tim Westwood hosting buzzcocks!

Oh Westwood how I hate you.

phujck
Apr 24, 2010

I keep coming here out of some misplaced sense of history, but I don't /want/ to be here.

Brown Moses posted:

I saw Stewart Lee in Leicester a few weeks ago, and unknown to me he was supported by Simon Munnery, who was very funny even though most the audience had no idea who he was.
I'm hoping Stewart Lee's material about his Japanese hating, crisp loving grandfather makes it to his new series, along with his David Cameron story.

I saw this at Warwick Arts Centre!

Did he happen to go on an extended rant about Russell Howard there too?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

eating only apples posted:

Lee's back now, you know! And he's probably the best character in it.

Oh my god, are you kidding!? AHHH! im going to start watching it again now.

Also apparently lee otway is a massive oval office in real life.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Don't know if anyone's still up, but how long does it usually take for stuff to go up on 4oD? Missed Misfits tonight and don't want to ask in that thread, trying to avoid spoilers

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Phoon posted:

Oh Westwood how I hate you.

He's so weird... it's like watching a man slowly succumbing to brain damage.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

So, has QI come up in here yet? I've gone through a few pages and didn't see it mentioned. If it has then I guess there's no reason to talk about it more.

Living in the US, I've obviously never seen or even heard of it before. I randomly came across a clip of it on youtube several weeks ago and promptly proceeded to binge on it. I've always loved Stephen Fry whether he's doing comedy or being a smart and smug bastard. The other comedians are usually pretty great. A lot of cultural references (especially when referencing government or famous people) fly over my head, but two seconds later I'm laughing about something else.

I really hope this show is as popular as I've come to assume it is. :ohdear:

I've noticed it's bounced between all the BBC stations, so I don't know what that means. But dang I want this show to go through every letter of the alphabet.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brokyn posted:

So, has QI come up in here yet? I've gone through a few pages and didn't see it mentioned. If it has then I guess there's no reason to talk about it more.

QI is pretty popular over here, that and HIGNFY are the most mainstream (and I think best) of all the panel shows and I can't see it ever being cancelled.

But one thing that popped into my head the other day is could anyone other than Stephen Fry host it? His place as national treasure and comedian and certifiable genius as well as having complete composure and confidence in himself is pretty unique to him. Can anyone else think of who would be a good replacement if one was needed?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hookerbot 5000 posted:

QI is pretty popular over here, that and HIGNFY are the most mainstream (and I think best) of all the panel shows and I can't see it ever being cancelled.

But one thing that popped into my head the other day is could anyone other than Stephen Fry host it? His place as national treasure and comedian and certifiable genius as well as having complete composure and confidence in himself is pretty unique to him. Can anyone else think of who would be a good replacement if one was needed?

I'm sure they could find a replacement if they had to. Hell, they've kept ISIHAC going even after Humph's departure (from this world). There might not be anyone as suited for the role as Fry is but there are plenty of competent people who could have a shot at filling in for him.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

hookerbot 5000 posted:

:ughh: why'd you have to go and give me another show to binge on

I've only watched a few minutes of one episode of this HIGNFY thing and I guess I can see myself getting into it. It seems like John Stewart meets... uhh... a panel show. "Intellectual" comedy covering current events. If it's all about UK politics I probably won't get sucked into its vortex like I did QI, though.

And you're absolutely right, QI wouldn't work without Fry. There is literally nobody else on this planet that is as smart, as confident, and as inherently funny as him. To be fair though, I'm not entirely sure if it would have the same appeal without Davies either.

So what's up with you guys and panel shows? I've noticed you have a treasure trove of them. I'm trying to think, but I'm pretty sure we don't have a single panel show over on this side of the pond (and I'll be embarrassed as hell if I'm wrong). Which is odd because I think they could definitely fill a good niche here. Moreso if our censors were as loose as yours.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

7seven7 posted:

Get the gently caress out. Gina "I'M NIGERIAN DON'T YOU KNOW" Yashere is like a loving comedy black hole. Any time she has opened her incredibly gummy mouth it has been as if humour as a concept has been nullified.

It feels good to read someone else saying this, as opposed to simply hearing myself think it as I'm binging on Mock the Week episodes on YouTube. Always makes me feel slightly racist for some reason, which is pretty stupid of me but there you go.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Cabbit posted:

It feels good to read someone else saying this, as opposed to simply hearing myself think it as I'm binging on Mock the Week episodes on YouTube. Always makes me feel slightly racist for some reason, which is pretty stupid of me but there you go.

Ain't nothing racist about it man, bad jokes in a Nigerian accent are still bad jokes. And almost all of her humour is centred around being Nigerian. I get it, that's a big part of her identity, that's cool. But come on woman, there are other avenues of comedy to explore. 

I think that might be why I don't really find Julian Clarey all that funny. He's gay and he can celebrate that fact and that's a beautiful thing. But dude, is there nothing else to you? It's so one dimensional. 

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

7seven7 posted:

Ain't nothing racist about it man, bad jokes in a Nigerian accent are still bad jokes. And almost all of her humour is centred around being Nigerian. I get it, that's a big part of her identity, that's cool. But come on woman, there are other avenues of comedy to explore. 

I think that might be why I don't really find Julian Clarey all that funny. He's gay and he can celebrate that fact and that's a beautiful thing. But dude, is there nothing else to you? It's so one dimensional. 

The weird thing is, I can still find Julian Clary quite funny on occasion, yet I can't stand Graham Norton or Alan Carr who does the same camp shtick.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Brokyn posted:

I've noticed it's bounced between all the BBC stations, so I don't know what that means. But dang I want this show to go through every letter of the alphabet.
It's not been bounced so much as upgraded. It started out with new episodes being shown on BBC Four, with the episode then being repeated on BBC Two a week later. Due to it's success, it was eventually moved to the main channel, BBC One. It's often repeated on the channel Dave (a commercial venture, in which the BBC own half)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brokyn posted:

:ughh: why'd you have to go and give me another show to binge on

I've only watched a few minutes of one episode of this HIGNFY thing and I guess I can see myself getting into it. It seems like John Stewart meets... uhh... a panel show. "Intellectual" comedy covering current events. If it's all about UK politics I probably won't get sucked into its vortex like I did QI, though.

It's been running for 20 years so a big backlog if you do get into it :)

One thing is that it can change a lot depending on the guest host. They got rid of their permanent host years ago after a cocaine and prostitute scandal which was a bit sad but kinda had to be done because it's hard to take the piss out of MP's doing skeezy things if prostitutes are selling stories about you. So since then they've had a different host every week and some are definitely better than others or the appeal of them lies in understanding their place in politics. So definitely watch a couple of episodes to see what you think rather than writing it off because the host wasn't very good that week.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brokyn posted:

I really hope this show is as popular as I've come to assume it is. :ohdear:

There will be 18 more series, people will watch all of them :)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

phujck posted:

I saw this at Warwick Arts Centre!

Did he happen to go on an extended rant about Russell Howard there too?

Yeah, I think that was in the bit he said would be on TV in some form or another.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

One thing is that it can change a lot depending on the guest host. They got rid of their permanent host years ago after a cocaine and prostitute scandal which was a bit sad but kinda had to be done because it's hard to take the piss out of MP's doing skeezy things if prostitutes are selling stories about you.
HIGNFY S23E06 Angus Scandal Episode Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDYlOEVSaI

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Good grief, does American TV just go into complete hibernation from early December to mid January? all the threads for my US shows are talking about breaks and hiatuses and waiting ages for the next ep.

Meanwhile, PROPER telly (...Eastenders) is just starting the slow painful crawl up the ramp of pain and misery ready for the traditional Christmas bellowing fest.

Anyone wanna bet on what the main Xmas storylines are going to be this year in Londons favourite slum? I've heard the main one is Stacy Slater based, presumably either involving Jenine finally tipping over from borderline to completely psychotic and killing a baby or some kind of stunning confession about that murder she done that one time. Apparently there's something coming up involving stolen babies involving Kat and Ronnie, because we all know women just go mad when there's babies involved, but that might be after Christmas. Also seems to be some kind of Masood based explosion on the horizon involving abortive affairs, wife burnings and possibly the Gay. Not sure how you do messy Christmas drama with a Muslim family, but if anyone can find a way to first make the day important to them and them have it come crashing down around their ears, it's good old Eastenders. Maybe they'll save that one for new years.

It's not QUITE as batshit as a good Hollyoaks plot, but it can get pretty close.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

eating only apples posted:

Lee's back now, you know! And he's probably the best character in it.

He was in Emmerdale for a while, and if memory serves his name was Lee in it too, thus making him, in my eyes, the same character. I've always wanted more soap character transplants. Matt Musgrove left Brookside and turned up later in Hollyoaks as the same character with the exact same name, even though they never really had much for him to do (a shame too, because he was incredible in Brookie, selling stolen gravel over the internet.) Jimmy Corkhill would've been a good choice to join Eastenders.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

Apparently there's something coming up involving stolen babies involving Kat and Ronnie, because we all know women just go mad when there's babies involved,

I wish I didn't know so much about the two big soaps but apparently Ronnie's much wanted baby dies of cot death and she swaps her dead one for Kat's healthy one and lets her think her babies dead but I don't think thats the Xmas story since neither of them have had the baby yet. Seems like Eastenders is doing a low key Xmas story like Stacy going down for muder because Corrie is doing the big ol train crash massacre thing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Padje posted:

He was in Emmerdale for a while, and if memory serves his name was Lee in it too, thus making him, in my eyes, the same character. I've always wanted more soap character transplants. Matt Musgrove left Brookside and turned up later in Hollyoaks as the same character with the exact same name, even though they never really had much for him to do (a shame too, because he was incredible in Brookie, selling stolen gravel over the internet.) Jimmy Corkhill would've been a good choice to join Eastenders.

Brookside and Hollyoaks were kinda the same universe though, being that both belonged to Phil Redmond

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I wish I didn't know so much about the two big soaps but apparently Ronnie's much wanted baby dies of cot death and she swaps her dead one for Kat's healthy one and lets her think her babies dead but I don't think thats the Xmas story since neither of them have had the baby yet. Seems like Eastenders is doing a low key Xmas story like Stacy going down for muder because Corrie is doing the big ol train crash massacre thing.

Jesus Christ this is the most ridiculous thing.

I'm getting really sick of HIGNFY. Paul Merton hasn't been funny in years and Ian Hislop just gets smugger and smugger. Also so much of every episode is just funny stuff they've found online its just lazy.

At least Buzzcocks can still be amazing with the right host... :allears: Minchin

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pablo Bluth posted:

To see if you will like this programme watch this episode and then find the episodes guest hosted by Boris (now the Mayor of London, mostly because of his appearances on this) Johnson. If you don't like it after that then it is not for you.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
looking forward to Coronation street's christmas special. It looks loving ridiculous and maybe some of the characters i hate (I hate them all except the dumb one who's going out with wheelchair lady) will die :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Brokyn posted:

So what's up with you guys and panel shows? I've noticed you have a treasure trove of them. I'm trying to think, but I'm pretty sure we don't have a single panel show over on this side of the pond (and I'll be embarrassed as hell if I'm wrong). Which is odd because I think they could definitely fill a good niche here. Moreso if our censors were as loose as yours.

I actually made this exact point in this thread a few weeks ago. I thought maybe panel shows were a uniquely British thing, but apparently there are European versions of QI, and I've seen an Australian show that was kind of like Mock The Week (and it was terrible, sorry Australia).

But yeah it's weird that panel shows don't exist in America. They are probably really cheap to make, and it's a good medium for comedians. I think they're much better than chat shows in a lot of ways, because the focus isn't just on one person so it flows better.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

They got rid of their permanent host years ago after a cocaine and prostitute scandal which was a bit sad but kinda had to be done because it's hard to take the piss out of MP's doing skeezy things if prostitutes are selling stories about you.

Oh man, I will never forget the episode just after that. The tension as we wait to see who will bring it up first, Ian making a bad joke, and then Paul taking it way too far by busting out the t-shirt...

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

fuf posted:

But yeah it's weird that panel shows don't exist in America. They are probably really cheap to make, and it's a good medium for comedians. I think they're much better than chat shows in a lot of ways, because the focus isn't just on one person so it flows better.

I think it has something to do with American audiences being unable to comprehend a quiz where the points don't matter and nobody wins anything at the end. I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

America has always had a greater proportion of comedy through sitcoms and stand-up. There are a lot of hypothoses as to why this is but I'm going to leave them alone because it spirals into that terrible US humour v UK humour debacle. Suffice to say: countries be different.

(There have been numerous attempts to bring shows like have I Got News for You over to America, I believe pilots were filmed, but they've never really gone anywhere.)

Funnily enough the long running panel show format in the UK is starting to become stale and audiences are starting to get bored or irritated by them while straight stand up has made a massive comeback through Michael MacIntyre and Comedy Roadshow.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

:psyduck: This is bizarre. Over here, he never would have been allowed to record another episode. Either he would have been fired outright as soon as the allegations came out, or he would have been forced to take a leave of absence to let everything work out (if the accusations were lies).

That being said, it's pretty hilarious. I really like that they don't let him just walk away from it at all.

Flatscan posted:

I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.

I don't think this is the case. Actually, I guess Whose Line was the closest thing we've had to a "panel show". At any rate, I don't remember anyone really having a problem with the fake points. The only thing anybody really complained about was that they didn't get the humor. Improv just isn't for some people.

Brokyn fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 3, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Flatscan posted:

I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.
I think you're probably right, every time I've watched that Drew Carey says many times throughout the show "and remember folks, the points don't matter". I can't remember that ever being said in any panel shows here, they just get on with it

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Brokyn posted:

:psyduck: This is bizarre. Over here, he never would have been allowed to record another episode. Either he would have been fired outright as soon as the allegations came out, or he would have been forced to take a leave of absence to let everything work out (if the accusations were lies).

Really? I mean I see loads of American stars getting caught up in scandals(Charlie Sheen) and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Points tend to be an unimportant part of panel shows because they always film more games/rounds than they use and have to cut some, so the points would be all over the place if strictly counted.

The nearest to a US panel show I could come up with was Lewis Black's Root of all Evil which even then was basically their single-player version of Argumental. It was just a way of packaging stand up comedians, but that's what most panel shows are anyway.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

seregrail7 posted:

Really? I mean I see loads of American stars getting caught up in scandals(Charlie Sheen) and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Sitcoms are usually recorded weeks, if not months, in advance.

I guess I was a little hasty in making that comment though. Whenever our late night talk show hosts get into a scandal like that, they usually comment on it during their monologue and try to move on or make jokes at their own expense. Oh well.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Brokyn posted:

Sitcoms are usually recorded weeks, if not months, in advance.

Off topic, but I LOVE Drop the Dead Donkey, the only example I know of of the topical sitcom. It was set in a newsroom and featured up to the second stories based on the previous weeks news. I don't know if it was largely written in advance and the topical jokes spliced into the script or if it was literally put together wholecloth in a week

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Fatkraken posted:

Off topic, but I LOVE Drop the Dead Donkey, the only example I know of of the topical sitcom. It was set in a newsroom and featured up to the second stories based on the previous weeks news. I don't know if it was largely written in advance and the topical jokes spliced into the script or if it was literally put together wholecloth in a week

My memory might be failing me, but I think the topical jokes were added in to the meeting/round up bit at the start of the show, with the odd reference put in occasionally throughout the rest of the show. The actual story of the episode was written in advance. So I think it was filmed on the day of the evenings show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brokyn posted:

That being said, it's pretty hilarious. I really like that they don't let him just walk away from it at all.

The balls that Angus has are staggering. I love how he knows how horrendous the show will be and how much it's going to hurt, but he still does it. He doesn't even try and squirm out of, he seems perfectly happy to take it. A similar thing happened after this years election when Lembit Opik went on having found out that he'd lost his seat on parliament about 6 hours earlier.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The balls that Angus has are staggering. I love how he knows how horrendous the show will be and how much it's going to hurt, but he still does it. He doesn't even try and squirm out of, he seems perfectly happy to take it. A similar thing happened after this years election when Lembit Opik went on having found out that he'd lost his seat on parliament about 6 hours earlier.

And that's why people ended up feeling sorry for him. He took it well, but ultimately, he couldn't present the show anymore because he'd become such a figure of fun.

Merton says as much in his brilliant Parkinson interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXiR089ARQ

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Flatscan posted:

I think it has something to do with American audiences being unable to comprehend a quiz where the points don't matter and nobody wins anything at the end. I vaguely recall that being a big problem for the yank version of Whose Line Is It Anyway, but I might be wrong.

one of the things that annoys me about QI is the way that the scoring is set up. I get than alan davies is always meant to lose, but he regularly gets -17 and such when I can't see any reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

justcola posted:

one of the things that annoys me about QI is the way that the scoring is set up. I get than alan davies is always meant to lose, but he regularly gets -17 and such when I can't see any reason why.
The "obvious" wrong answers give varying amounts of points depending on how obvious they are, but they do specifically try to catch Alan out.