Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Parker Lewis posted:

Cool idea, I'm going to give that a try with some of my favorite passages. Thanks!
Fun site. Here's a Carl Sagan one (used his Wikipedia page as a source) for space nerds.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

This thing is pretty cool.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

gmq posted:

Are you absolutely sure about this? Do you have a source?
I really want a Kindle and getting it during 2010 would be ideal.

EDIT: Apparently US/Canada and European/International Kindles have different serial numbers depending of what SIM they use.

I ordered my Kindle in Japan from Amazon US at launch. There was no special international version. It was just the Kindle 3, shipped to Japan. This could have changed, but I have no idea why it would have.

fake edit: Guess they've changed it. I tried the exact same checkout process I used and it spits out an error for my shipping address and links me to the "international Kindle" page. Guess you should have ordered sooner!

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
The OP only mentioned Gutenberg and Feedbooks as places to get free eBooks. Is there anywhere else?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The OP only mentioned Gutenberg and Feedbooks as places to get free eBooks. Is there anywhere else?

Feedbooks is just nicely-formatted version of PG stuff. For old public domain books, pretty much any other site is going to be taken from PG originally.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

withak posted:

Feedbooks is just nicely-formatted version of PG stuff. For old public domain books, pretty much any other site is going to be taken from PG originally.

Awesome, thanks. Is the Amazon store the best place to find free modern books?

Also, is it worth looking into those ebook lending libraries? They feel kind of pointless to me with all the free ebooks available, but I'm not sure.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

[Illegal site] was great, but he had to pull everything down due to expense.

e: fair nuff!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 2, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That site is illegal as hell, and even shadier if he is charging for access.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ara posted:

I ordered my Kindle in Japan from Amazon US at launch. There was no special international version. It was just the Kindle 3, shipped to Japan. This could have changed, but I have no idea why it would have.

fake edit: Guess they've changed it. I tried the exact same checkout process I used and it spits out an error for my shipping address and links me to the "international Kindle" page. Guess you should have ordered sooner!

You can still have an American order for you no issue. I guess they want to ensure domestic supply at a priority along with the 3 per person order limit.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

fishmech posted:

There's no special International version now. There was an International Kindle 2 which was the later model of the Kindle 2 though. You should try having someone in the US order to a US address, since there is no delay here, and then have it shipped to you.

I know the two are the same, but Amazon's website redirects anyone shipping internationally to some special international version order page. I was just wondering if it would seriously take 7-9 weeks just to ship.

It seems like they have two piles of the same product but the international pile is empty.

Edit: Guess she shoulda ordered sooner. Oh well, what's another month? :smith:

z0331 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 3, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Awesome, thanks. Is the Amazon store the best place to find free modern books?
Don't know about the best, but if you go to the Kindle store and look for free books, you'll have to wade past pages and pages of romance novels.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don't know about the best, but if you go to the Kindle store and look for free books, you'll have to wade past pages and pages of romance novels.

Roll them dice for Kindle screensavers.

Also, the only good arguments for paper books (or color ebook readers):

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
A recent article in the Wall Street Journal announces the imminent launch of a Google E-Book store called Google Editions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632602305759466.html?mod=djemalertTECH#articleTabs%3Darticle

highlights posted:

Google Editions hopes to upend the existing e-book market by offering an open, "read anywhere" model that is different from many competitors. Users will be able to buy books directly from Google or from multiple online retailers—including independent bookstores—and add them to an online library tied to a Google account. They will be able to access their Google accounts on most devices with a Web browser, including personal computers, smartphones and tablets.
Google says it is on a mission to reach all Internet users, not just those with tablets, through a program in which websites refer their users to Google Editions. For example, a surfing-related blog could recommend a surfing book, point readers to Google Editions to purchase it, and share revenue with Google. Through another program, booksellers could sell Google Editions e-books from their websites and share revenue with Google.

"Google is going to turn every Internet space that talks about a book into a place where you can buy that book," says Dominique Raccah, publisher and owner of Sourcebooks Inc., an independent publisher based in Naperville, Ill. "The Google model is going to drive a lot of sales. We think they could get 20% of the e-book market very fast."

I hope that there will be a way to download files of the books purchased from Google Editions to a device that can't connect to the internet. But even if the ebooks are confined to the cloud I think I would still use this service on my laptop over the Nook and Kindle software. This sounds very lucrative for Google and very convenient for readers who want access to hard-to-find books.

Mathlete fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 3, 2010

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Guys, I have a PRS-600 with a dead battery.Are there any sites which sells replacement batteries? haven't had much luck in finding one.

I need a reader for reading journal articles in PDF... hence I'm deciding if I shouold get a Kindle 3 but after reading the thread, the only doable way is to use it in landscape mode as the pdf converters messes with the format. Any student goons want to chime in on this?

The next option is to get an iPad but thats like triple the costs of an e-book reader :(

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

The Aphasian posted:

Roll them dice for Kindle screensavers.

Also, the only good arguments for paper books (or color ebook readers):

What is it with Penguin and amazing book covers?

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Wiki comparing the various readers. Shud be in the OP.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully

Guess I won't be getting the Kindle after all. :( The no PDF reflow is a big bummer for me. Looks like I have to scrounge for a batt replacement for my Sony reader.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

cash posted:

Guess I won't be getting the Kindle after all. :( The no PDF reflow is a big bummer for me. Looks like I have to scrounge for a batt replacement for my Sony reader.

Nothing has actual PDF reflow, you can't actually reflow PDF especially image-based ones.

You're far better served by using something that attempts to convert PDF into an actual ebook format rather than wasting money on a Sony reader just for a hacky reflow-esque feature.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully

Point taken. I shall do the Calibre convertion thingy and see if its to my liking.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

madprocess posted:

Nothing has actual PDF reflow, you can't actually reflow PDF especially image-based ones.

You're far better served by using something that attempts to convert PDF into an actual ebook format rather than wasting money on a Sony reader just for a hacky reflow-esque feature.

I'm going to support this post. It is absolutely spot on.

Though even with a conversion you won't get a perfect format. Some of the time there will still be little oddities like text scrunching up on one side or pictures being really, really huge. But it is still not a bad way to do things.

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.
I bought a Kindle on a whim about a week ago and I'm like sort of paralyzed by how good it is. I have a pretty sublime case of technolust and I have to say that I'm more impressed with this little unassuming e-reader than I am with anything I've picked up recently, including my Droid and my Zune HD. There's such a focus on the swiss army knife approach that it's refreshing to see a device focus on accomplishing one task so beautifully.

The advent of broadband/streamy technology has sort of broken my brain, to the point of making me totally indolent towards anything that isn't instantly gratifying. But I think the device has sort of bridged the gap between a sophisticated technological experience and the old, long-form experience that used to be so enriching for me. I'm actually reading again, which is really, really cool. Hopefully I don't get bored and go back to mining Netflix all the time for more shallow distractions.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Mathlete posted:

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal announces the imminent launch of a Google E-Book store called Google Editions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632602305759466.html?mod=djemalertTECH#articleTabs%3Darticle

I hope that there will be a way to download files of the books purchased from Google Editions to a device that can't connect to the internet. But even if the ebooks are confined to the cloud I think I would still use this service on my laptop over the Nook and Kindle software. This sounds very lucrative for Google and very convenient for readers who want access to hard-to-find books.

Wonder if it'll work well in the Kindle browser.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

madprocess posted:

That's not strictly true. The Nook (regular old eink one) has page reflow for PDFs.

It's not full document reflow so it leaves you with half full pages because it only reflows one page at a time and you can get some wonky margins, but you can read the stuff easily.

But no, it doesn't work great with images. Not even a computer can reflow image based PDFs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cash posted:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Wiki comparing the various readers. Shud be in the OP.

Appreciate it, but I already have it there:

duckman2008 posted:

eReaders have exploded and there are way to many to list here, so we are going to cover mostly the popular ones and ones in the US (if you want one added message me). For a full list Wikipedia again comes to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Ponuh posted:

The advent of broadband/streamy technology has sort of broken my brain, to the point of making me totally indolent towards anything that isn't instantly gratifying. But I think the device has sort of bridged the gap between a sophisticated technological experience and the old, long-form experience that used to be so enriching for me. I'm actually reading again, which is really, really cool. Hopefully I don't get bored and go back to mining Netflix all the time for more shallow distractions.
Well, I was in the same boat as you in early September when I got my first Kindle wondering if it was going to be a phase but it hasn't let up yet. Obviously I'm not obsessively reading as much as I did the first couple weeks when I was still on a "new-gadget high". But the convienience factor alone has definetely increased the amount of book reading I regularily do. During my lunch break, in a waiting room, on a bus ride, or any other scenario where I previously would just play a lovely cell phone game for 10 minutes, I can instead pull out an extremely light device from my bag and be at the exact spot I last stopped at in several books I'm reading at the time within seconds. Giving my eyes a rest from all the LCD screen viewing I do can't hurt either.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My Kindle's been freezing and/or rebooting itself fairly regularly. Thought I had a bad unit, but apparently it's the official leather (nonlighted) case that may be the culprit.

I'm going to try it with it off and see if I keep having the issue, but considering--if that is the problem--that it's been shorting out repeatedly for three days, I may exchange it anyway.

Anyone else have issues?

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
The hinges are used to provide power to the light in the cover with the built in lamp. Are the hinges in yours conductive?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RockSmart posted:

The hinges are used to provide power to the light in the cover with the built in lamp. Are the hinges in yours conductive?

Yeah, that seems to be the issue. The non-lit cover still has metal hinges (painted black), but they only barely come in contact when the cover is closed or in rare occasions when it is open. The cover still has >1,000 5-star reviews, so either my cover or the Kindle itself is the odd man out.

Just an FYI if anyone else is having issues; some of the people on the Amazon discussion had exchanged their units 3 or more times.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
A gadget obsessed friend of mine recently upgraded his Kindle 2 to a DX, and gave me his old one. I'm floored by how enjoyable it is to read with, I'd been using my iPhone for the past few years to read ebooks. I loaded it up with all my favorites, and while I had to search a bit, bought a nice, heavily discounted canvas case for it.

I'm still planning on getting an iPad later this year, but I can't imagine reading on anything else at this point as long as I have the choice.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I know it really isn't the point of this thread but thanks to whoever linked that Wordle site. I used it to make this poster for my brother for christmas.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2eg7ac3&s=7

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, got a nook 3g and wifi in the SAMart.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Asus is putting out a 9-inch ebook reader.

quote:

According to the Taiwanese company, the new e-reader is highly portable and has a long battery life. It is less than 10mm thick and weighs just 440g. Its 2GB of internal storage (expandable via SD Card) can store up to 5000 ebooks and the two-week battery life is long enough to read 20 novels back-to-back between recharges.

It's called the Eee Reader DR900, it's using SiPix as it's technology, and it's got a capacitive touch screen. Have not looked up price, but I would imagine it's pricey with a touchscreen that size.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mathlete posted:

It's live-ish (the intro video is currently private?).

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html

Supported devices:

quote:

Web browsers. You can read Google eBooks on any browser with JavaScript enabled.

Smartphones. You can download and install the Google Books reading app for free on any US Android phone (version 2.1 (Eclair) or later) or on the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. (iOS 3.0 or later).

eReader devices. Google eBooks can be read with any dedicated eBook reader that supports the Adobe eBook platform, including the Barnes & Noble Nook™ and Readers™ from Sony. More than 85 devices support the Adobe eBook platform today including Reader™ from Sony devices (PRS-300 - PRS-700), Aluratek Libre, Astak EZ Reader, Barnes & Noble Nook™ and Nook Color™, BeBook, Bookeen, COOL-ER, Elonex eBook, HanLin eBook, IREX Digital Reader, Neolux Nuut, and more. Please see the full list of Adobe eBook Platform supported devices.

Amazon Kindle. Currently, Google eBooks are not compatible with Amazon Kindle devices, though we are open to supporting them in the future.

No Kindle, :(. But hopefully soon. I would assume Amazon wouldn't want the competition, but B&N and Apple seem fine with it.

The web reader is pretty nice, just as simple and clean as the rest of the Google aesthetic.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 6, 2010

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Probably works in the Kindle's browser at least. Anyone with a K3 wanna test?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

It's live-ish (the intro video is currently private?).

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html

Supported devices:

No Kindle, :(. But hopefully soon. I would assume Amazon wouldn't want the competition, but B&N and Apple seem fine with it.

The web reader is pretty nice, just as simple and clean as the rest of the Google aesthetic.

You should be able to still convert them with Calibre?

Edit: Gah, nevermind, I see how it sucks.

Just tested reading it in the kindle browser. Not awful, you just position you mouse on the far left and hit enter to turn the page. Browsing for books isn't awful, although I have pictures turned off, just makes it a lot faster. The text of course will not take up the whole page, and zooming in completely fucks it up. So as long as you only want to flip pages forward, don't mind not using your whole screen and taking the time to search for it via the web browser, its ok. Honestly though i see no feature that it offers over Amazon.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2010

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

big mean giraffe posted:

Probably works in the Kindle's browser at least. Anyone with a K3 wanna test?

Actually, not that bad. You can leave the cursor on the right side and just hit the dpad's button for the next page. The next page come up almost instantly over 3G.

Biggest problem is that not much of the screen is devoted to text.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

The Aphasian posted:

I think Amazon would prefer to have the book sales than even the Kindle sales. As indicated by their willingness to support things like iPad/Android tablets. I can't imagine they are making that much money off Kindle's ($130 can't be that much more than manufacturing cost), but it does get it out there so they sell more books.

I don't forsee a "deal" coming. Unless Google prices are way cheaper and/or selection is more extensive, I'm not too concerned about it anyways.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was an interview with Jeff Bezos a while back where he said that they consider the Kindle device and the ebooks themselves to be completely separate markets. They want to sell you hardware if they can but they are also happy to sell you books to read on someone else's hardware.

Anyway, think of this google thing more as software. It doesn't necessarily have to support the Kindle format because many devices that can access this website can also run a native Kindle app. There have also been mentions of amazon making a kindle web app before.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

subx posted:

I think Amazon would prefer to have the book sales than even the Kindle sales. As indicated by their willingness to support things like iPad/Android tablets. I can't imagine they are making that much money off Kindle's ($130 can't be that much more than manufacturing cost), but it does get it out there so they sell more books.

I don't forsee a "deal" coming. Unless Google prices are way cheaper and/or selection is more extensive, I'm not too concerned about it anyways.

Mostly I'm hoping for compatibility with multiple stores to catch the odd book that's on one and not the other, as well as to take advantage of pricing differences/sales in the various markets.

I purged our home library last night, getting rid of mass market paperbacks of public domain works and getting the Gutenberg versions. Only got rid of ~50 out of ~700 (kept the ones with pretty covers), but now I can actually get some of the books off the floor of our library room. I don't think being a book hoarder is a bad thing (will never recover because I will never admit I have problem), but we are looking to move in a year or two and those drat boxes get heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

Mostly I'm hoping for compatibility with multiple stores if only to catch the odd book that's on one and not the other, as well as to take advantage of pricing differences/sales in the various markets.

I purged our home library last night, getting rid of mass market paperbacks of public domain works and getting the Gutenberg versions. Only got rid of ~50 out of ~700 (kept the ones with pretty covers), but now I can actually get some of the books off the floor of our library room. I don't think being a book hoarder is a bad thing (will never recover because I will never admit I have problem), but we are looking to move in a year or two and those drat boxes get heavy.

I have the book problem at my place, and when we move next year my goal is to sell most of them and just keep them all on the Kindle.