Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They also film a lot more than gets broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Angus still kicks arse in Nighty Night, not seen him in anything new lately though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They should either cancel HIGNFY or get a new permanent host and new team captains. As great as Hislop and Merton have been in the past I'm just really fed up with them doing the same old poo poo every week.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Just watched the opening title sequence to Michael McIntyre, it seems that the man drawer really is the new garlic bread.

Edit: and it's just the same loving jokes over and over again. Thousands upon thousands of standups in the country and this is what we get at 9pm on a Friday night.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2010

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Catzilla posted:

My memory might be failing me, but I think the topical jokes were added in to the meeting/round up bit at the start of the show, with the odd reference put in occasionally throughout the rest of the show. The actual story of the episode was written in advance. So I think it was filmed on the day of the evenings show.
Yeah, the A-plot about the characters was written in advance and the topical stuff was added in for flavour. The voice over on top of the end credits was the other regular topical bit.

It was mostly filmed during the week with the last few scenes the day before. They only occasionally filmed on the day of broadcast (like when Robert Maxwell died).

Drop the Dead Donkey was awesome and it's amazing how well it's aged.
I've always wondered what would have happened if it had still been going in September 2001.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
One of my favourite films, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, is on iPlayer currently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3v0w/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly/

Very affecting film, I remember coming out of the cinema in a daze. Highly highly recommend it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Tsaedje posted:

They also film a lot more than gets broadcast.

They need to air QI 3XL.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

thehustler posted:

And that's why people ended up feeling sorry for him. He took it well, but ultimately, he couldn't present the show anymore because he'd become such a figure of fun.

Merton says as much in his brilliant Parkinson interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXiR089ARQ

drat man, that beard makes Merton look suave as gently caress. Why would he ever go fresh faced after sporting that monster?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

marktheando posted:

They should either cancel HIGNFY or get a new permanent host and new team captains. As great as Hislop and Merton have been in the past I'm just really fed up with them doing the same old poo poo every week.

If I remember rightly didn't Merton leave for a series or 2? Mind this was probably 15ish years ago. Was he focusing on stand up, then decided HIGNFY was easier?

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I'm currently halfway through a HIGNFY binge, I started on the newest ones and am working backwards, just watched Angus's scandal last night. If any non brits are worried they won't get a lot of the references or know the people being talked about, don't worry, the comedy is enough to enjoy yourself and you will quickly learn everyone from Ken Livingston to John "two jags" Prescott.

As all ready mentioned we have some panel shows here in Australia but they are mainly awful, the only descent ones are often stacked with British comedians, like Spicks and Specks, which is our version of Buzzcocks.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

lionlegs posted:

One of my favourite films, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, is on iPlayer currently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s3v0w/The_Diving_Bell_and_the_Butterfly/

Very affecting film, I remember coming out of the cinema in a daze. Highly highly recommend it.
I've been meaning to watch this for a long time

<3 iplayer

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Roidweiser posted:

If I remember rightly didn't Merton leave for a series or 2? Mind this was probably 15ish years ago. Was he focusing on stand up, then decided HIGNFY was easier?

He left for one series (replaced by Eddie Izzard long before he turned poo poo) because he was getting bored. He was a successful comedian before doing TV work, so I don't know what you mean by deciding HIGNFY was easier. It's not like it was a fallback after failing as a standup.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

General Apathy posted:

As all ready mentioned we have some panel shows here in Australia but they are mainly awful, the only descent ones are often stacked with British comedians, like Spicks and Specks, which is our version of Buzzcocks.
Is this one of the ones that seems to have Ross Noble on a lot? I've searched for some of his stuff in the past and he turns up a lot on Australian panel shows.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.
Speaking of Ross Noble and Paul Merton, ITV made a show called something like Thank God You're Here based on an Australian version that Ross used to show up on alot. Did they ever make more than one series? It was hilarious.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I have a bit of a crush on Sarah Millican. That is all

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

LE0N posted:

Also apparently lee otway is a massive oval office in real life.

Yes, he is. He used to strut his stuff in the many nightclubs of Wakefield. He is most definitely a oval office.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Uncertain Frog posted:

Speaking of Ross Noble and Paul Merton, ITV made a show called something like Thank God You're Here based on an Australian version that Ross used to show up on alot. Did they ever make more than one series? It was hilarious.

Speaking of Ross Noble, I'm seeing his stand-up tonight :smug:

Wiki says there was only the one series and it didn't perform well. Offhand I will attribute this to being too good for ITV.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

fuf posted:

I actually made this exact point in this thread a few weeks ago. I thought maybe panel shows were a uniquely British thing, but apparently there are European versions of QI, and I've seen an Australian show that was kind of like Mock The Week (and it was terrible, sorry Australia).

A Finnish version of HIGNFY has been running for 12 years now and is really popular, but that's about it over here.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I don't want to worry anyone, but I think The Joker may have taken over the channel Yesterday. Instead of back to back repeated documentaries interspersed with Cathrine Cookson, its back to back Carry On films.

I am not sure if this is good or bad, but I just guiltily enjoyed Carry on Camping.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

marktheando posted:

I think that Paul should become the host and they should get someone far less Daily Mail than Ian "I don't understand football - look at audience, lean head" Hislop to replace Paul as team captain.

Stewart Lee - but he hates doing panel shows

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should just video the News Quiz

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Watched Freak Like Me on iPlayer earlier, pretty stupid premise and lovely show, but holy gently caress is Russell Kane punchable.

Seriously, he's the most punchable man alive. If I saw him in real life I'd have to try very hard to restrain myself from flying into a blind rage and murdering him.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Watched Freak Like Me on iPlayer earlier, pretty stupid premise and lovely show, but holy gently caress is Russell Kane punchable.

Seriously, he's the most punchable man alive. If I saw him in real life I'd have to try very hard to restrain myself from flying into a blind rage and murdering him.

Judging by that program, just go round his house and start moving stuff 1cm to the left to inflict more pain.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching last nights Buzzcocks. Tim Westwood is a parody of himself.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

goatface posted:

yeah he's ridiculous

still high fived him in a club he was DJing at though, if only to say I had

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

goatface posted:

he is in on the joke, its almost an act. he is also absolutely hilarious and bizarrely well respected in hiphop.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Watching Merlin with my tiny nephew just now, Arthur has just found a Round Table and knighted some prettyboys called Lancelot, Percival and Gawain. :3:

It might be a silly, cheap-ish BBC childrens' drama, and the plots, acting & dialogue might be incredibly daft sometimes, but the story itself is still incredibly strong. The tiny nephew is enthralled.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Irisi posted:

Watching Merlin with my tiny nephew just now, Arthur has just found a Round Table and knighted some prettyboys called Lancelot, Percival and Gawain. :3:

It might be a silly, cheap-ish BBC childrens' drama, and the plots, acting & dialogue might be incredibly daft sometimes, but the story itself is still incredibly strong. The tiny nephew is enthralled.
Still utterly pissed Uthor hasn't bit the godamned bullet yet, that gun's been loaded for at least two seasons now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hounslow rob posted:

he is in on the joke, its almost an act. he is also absolutely hilarious and bizarrely well respected in hiphop.

I liked the bit with Noel Fielding explaining joke rhythm to him.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Irisi posted:

I just finished watching it and that episode was pretty good. I just hope that next series they continue to actually forward the plot instead of Uther still being king for the whole series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's always a few bits of dialogue or plotting in every episode that make me go "really? you couldn't have had the writers do one more rewrite?" but overall I quite enjoy Merlin. It's undoubtedly superior to the similar Robin Hood that the Beeb attempted.

It's picked up a lot this season, with the solid Morgause & Morgana arc in addition to the Monster Of The Week stories. As for cheap; S4 won't be around until 2012, the BBC needed to save money and they didn't want to cut the budget for the show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's always a few bits of dialogue or plotting in every episode that make me go "really? you couldn't have had the writers do one more rewrite?" but overall I quite enjoy Merlin. It's undoubtedly superior to the similar Robin Hood that the Beeb attempted.

It's picked up a lot this season, with the solid Morgause & Morgana arc in addition to the Monster Of The Week stories. As for cheap; S4 won't be around until 2012, the BBC needed to save money and they didn't want to cut the budget for the show.
Hum, maybe if they had killed off someone who had been begging for it since about, oh, half way since season 2, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Scant Consolation
Sep 4, 2006
Good Egg
I watched Merlin for the first time last week, and also watched today's episode, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't get into it earlier. I dismissed it as likely to be another Robin Hood, but it's far, far superior.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
We might all be waiting for Uther to die, Arthur to take the throne and for Merlin to come out the magic closest, but you can't get there too quickly at risk out running out of plot / Arthurian legends.

It's possible that once Arthur rules Camelot, with Merlin by his side, and with the round-table installed, the writers might find a new direction to take the show. However, it's just as likely, if not more so, that it represents the point at which it jumps the shark, and it loses what made it what it was.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Kid Moe posted:

Snap. I don't even know what it is about her...

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

We might all be waiting for Uther to die, Arthur to take the throne and for Merlin to come out the magic closest, but you can't get there too quickly at risk out running out of plot / Arthurian legends.

The thing is that once Merlin comes out the magic closet the threats to Camelot are going to have to all be magic based or any time anything comes along Arthur can just tell Merlin to blast the problem away. Having Merlin have to be sneaky about it means there's a reason they can't just magic all problems away.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I miss Robin Hood. I really loved it and I know I shouldn't have. They did kind of kill Robin, though, so it's kind of difficult to carry it on after that :v:

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

eating only apples posted:

I miss Robin Hood. I really loved it and I know I shouldn't have. They did kind of kill Robin, though, so it's kind of difficult to carry it on after that :v:

They managed fine in Robin of Sherwood.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ratjaculation posted:

I think that Paul should become the host and they should get someone far less Daily Mail than Ian "I don't understand football - look at audience, lean head" Hislop to replace Paul as team captain.

Stewart Lee - but he hates doing panel shows

There are many legitimate criticisms you can level at Ian Hislop but it is in no way fair to call him "Daily Mail".

Ross Noble was great tonight, I've now seen him kill 5 guinea pigs (flogged) one budgie (stomped upon by the UN) and one panda (beaten)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Kid Moe posted:

I'm not usually one to namedrop, but she's a friend of a mutal friend of my sister and myself. This became slightly awkward when watching HIGNFY tonight with my father who claimed he "can't stand that geordie bird". We had to explain that he probably shouldn't share that sentiment around the friend when he comes to visit. My dad then went on the complain about her for another half hour.

Said mutual friend also had a flatmate who went out with Josie Long. He was apparently lucky to do so.