Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.

Well, the car's owner (who is totally not my mom because that would be the gooniest thing) decided to replace the entire transmission "just to be safe". The tech who did the work took my old one home and plans to crack it open to see what's what, but we both already suspect the diff.

Oh, and I finally fixed an exhaust leak I've been putting off for far two long; the leftmost two bolts on my manifold backed themselves out and left the stage. Pulled the mani, turbo and downpipe out to put in a Corksport downpipe... only to find out that my wastegate won't close all the way. It's not the actuator, the arm retracted fully when I pulled it off the gate lever, and the gate wouldn't seat no matter how I fiddled with it. As far as I know, internal wastegates can't be replaced, so if I want the turbo to spool as quickly as stock (to the mindblowing pressure of 6.5 psi), I'll need to pony up 3 grand for a new turbo. :suicide:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Stories of Subtle Mechanical Failures.

Getn Rod atAnimecon posted:

This happened a few months ago to my protege. Is it an easy fix or do I have to use a jackstand and an engine lift?
Jackstands for the car, I did mine in my school's garage, so I had a lift. A jack to support the engine, preferably with a 2x4 or something to spread the load so you don't crush your oil pan.

The passenger's side and front are fairly easy, just have to twist them to get around obstructions. Driver's side (technically the trans mount) is a bit more involved, have to pull the airbox off, but still not too bad. The one on the firewall, however, will make you want to kill yourself. I had to take off the intake up to the throttle body, and it's still a tight squeeze to get onto the engine bolt so you can crank the nut loose from beneath. The three nuts holding it to the car are even worse, they are blocked from the sides by the walls of the mount, and from above by a harness bracket, which is held on by two nuts... one of which is just above the mount nuts. Rough diagram:

E: Uhhh... new page... here's this again:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fucknag posted:

Well, the car's owner (who is totally not my mom because that would be the gooniest thing) decided to replace the entire transmission "just to be safe". The tech who did the work took my old one home and plans to crack it open to see what's what, but we both already suspect the diff.

Oh, and I finally fixed an exhaust leak I've been putting off for far two long; the leftmost two bolts on my manifold backed themselves out and left the stage. Pulled the mani, turbo and downpipe out to put in a Corksport downpipe... only to find out that my wastegate won't close all the way. It's not the actuator, the arm retracted fully when I pulled it off the gate lever, and the gate wouldn't seat no matter how I fiddled with it. As far as I know, internal wastegates can't be replaced, so if I want the turbo to spool as quickly as stock (to the mindblowing pressure of 6.5 psi), I'll need to pony up 3 grand for a new turbo. :suicide:

Dude, the wastegate is a freakin metal flap on a hinge. It should be pretty easy to diagnose what is wrong. Either it got bent somehow, or there is some debris/gunk in the way. I would not recommend spending 3k without at least trying to fix it first.

I've even seen someone go so far as to cut off the stock flap, bore out the hole and weld in a bigger flap, in an effort to reduce boost creep. It can be fixed.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

CaptBubba posted:

From the link posted earlier it looked like the piston jammed in the sleeve somehow, causing a portal to Hell to open and allowing the demon hands of Beelzebub to reach through and do that to the lower connecting rod.

I find those factory photographs really entrancing but it took me a bit to realize why. Yes there are giant engine parts everywhere giving a strange mixed sense of scale, but I was really just struck at the lack of visible safety equipment. I'm so used to seeing shielding and brightly colored easily accessible kill switches on machinery and people wearing ear and eye protection that the images just hit me as very odd.

I couldn't find the link on that page but it looks like a crosshead bearing failure. Large marine diesels don't have a direct connecting rod link as the piston travels straight up and down, so the connecting rod is split in half with the reciprocating rod and the stationary rod connecting by a crosshead joint and bearing. If that fails/seizes this is the sort of thing that happens.

BTW these engines typically develop several thousand HP per cylinder, so you can imagine the forces involved.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 23, 2010

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Dude, the wastegate is a freakin metal flap on a hinge. It should be pretty easy to diagnose what is wrong. Either it got bent somehow, or there is some debris/gunk in the way. I would not recommend spending 3k without at least trying to fix it first.

I've even seen someone go so far as to cut off the stock flap, bore out the hole and weld in a bigger flap, in an effort to reduce boost creep. It can be fixed.

I wouldn't recommend spending $3K on a turbo anyway. Is it made out of unobtainium or something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

I wouldn't recommend spending $3K on a turbo anyway. Is it made out of unobtainium or something?

Its like made of titanium or something

Sybok
May 25, 2006
Reason my civic wants to have smoke breaks.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sybok posted:

Ouch, goodbye bearings

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

Oh, I'm certainly not spending money on something like that anytime soon, don't you worry. Didn't appear to be bent or gunked, it was as if the flap was... hanging, I guess? too far down from the hinge, so that rather than sealing flat, the inside edge contacts the body, leaving a gap at the far edge of about 1/4 inch. I'm not too worried about it all things considered, it does still build boost, it just spools and peaks more slowly than stock.

Comedy option: I recently picked up a freshly rebuilt T3/T4 from a friend for $80. Slap that thing on there, crank up the boost and haul rear end for two miles before I throw a rod through the block!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

No poo poo, I've priced out rebuilds for the turbo on my MS3 (as I'm now out of warranty, if it ever smokes the turbo seals it's my problem) and they seem impressively cheap to me at around $500 (as a a first time turbo owner). I think even if you don't have one to send in it's like $700.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I've priced out rebuilds for the turbo on my MS3 (as I'm now out of warranty, if it ever smokes the turbo seals it's my problem) and they seem impressively cheap to me at around $500 (as a a first time turbo owner). I think even if you don't have one to send in it's like $700.

Yeah, if you know what the specs are for all the parts (which isn't hard to do if it's from a known manufacturer), you can even rebuild the drat thing yourself on a table. They aren't really complicated devices, they're just very high precision.

This is of course assuming that you're just replacing the seals and such, not that you decided it was hungry and needed to ingest some metal.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Oh, I'm certainly not spending money on something like that anytime soon, don't you worry. Didn't appear to be bent or gunked, it was as if the flap was... hanging, I guess? too far down from the hinge, so that rather than sealing flat, the inside edge contacts the body, leaving a gap at the far edge of about 1/4 inch. I'm not too worried about it all things considered, it does still build boost, it just spools and peaks more slowly than stock.

This is probably something where a picture would serve best. There's something out of spec or bent that's probably causing your problem, and it's likely really easy and cheap to fix.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Sybok posted:

Is there a reason why so many needle bearing cages seem to be made out of the metallic equivalent of Chinese plastic? (I know why, $$$$, I just really loving hate how cheaply things are made now)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeyTsi posted:

This is probably something where a picture would serve best. There's something out of spec or bent that's probably causing your problem, and it's likely really easy and cheap to fix.

I agree, it's a bit hard to convey with words. The manifold, turbo and downpipe have to be removed as an assembly, and the radiator has to be removed for that to come out; for removal and reinstallation, it's about 6 hours of work (for me at least), and I don't have access to the school's lift like I did last week, nor a driveway of my own to do the work in.

Once I do get a chance, I will throw some pictures up here and see what the goon collective thinks. The turbo's leaking coolant out of the banjo fitting for the return line, so I may have to pull it pretty soon anyway to get that sorted.

Oh, and last night the tube on my charge pipe that the BOV attaches to snapped off. I have it superglued for now, but I've got a new one on the way. Aftermarket saved my rear end, because Mazda list price for the stock replacement was $560, because the Speed models are scarce and therefore parts cost 10 times what they should.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fucknag posted:

I agree, it's a bit hard to convey with words. The manifold, turbo and downpipe have to be removed as an assembly, and the radiator has to be removed for that to come out; for removal and reinstallation, it's about 6 hours of work (for me at least), and I don't have access to the school's lift like I did last week, nor a driveway of my own to do the work in.

Once I do get a chance, I will throw some pictures up here and see what the goon collective thinks. The turbo's leaking coolant out of the banjo fitting for the return line, so I may have to pull it pretty soon anyway to get that sorted.

Oh, and last night the tube on my charge pipe that the BOV attaches to snapped off. I have it superglued for now, but I've got a new one on the way. Aftermarket saved my rear end, because Mazda list price for the stock replacement was $560, because the Speed models are scarce and therefore parts cost 10 times what they should.

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about, I just finished replacing the turbo on my car. Speaking of, I've got a T-25 with a perfectly good wastegate flapper on it, and as an extra bonus it'll send out Spy Hunter-like clouds of smoke whenever you drive!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
From the turbo nova LS thread as requested by meatpimp
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301210

B4Ctom1 posted:

Here is the damage. This is a 8.5 inch (216mm) ring and pinion.

Without a doubt the extra 1/4 inch (6.35mm) offered by a 12 bolt here would not have helped. He said something about cryo process on the next set of gears but knowing him I would be surprised to see a Dana 60 in it when it comes out next.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I changed my brother's spark plugs the other day when he came to me complaining about a misfire.

WHAT THE gently caress

Those are the original MotorCraft Ford Factory OEM plugs. Did I mention the car has 83k on it?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Beach Bum posted:

I changed my brother's spark plugs the other day when he came to me complaining about a misfire.

WHAT THE gently caress

Those are the original MotorCraft Ford Factory OEM plugs. Did I mention the car has 83k on it?
They're platinum plugs, though; they still have 17,000 miles left!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

grover posted:

They're platinum plugs, though; they still have 17,000 miles left!

Hell yeah, set the gap and put em back in till the 100K service.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Beach Bum posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I must confess I never got round to changing the plugs on my 11 year old 140,000km Nissan. Still ran 100% fine the day I sold it so I'd never thought about it.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Where I work I had one of the E-450 v-10 vans come in with a misfire. The gap on half of the plugs was almost big enough to stick the tip of my pinky finger in. I guess individual coils work.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Those look like the plugs at 115k on my '01 Focus.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I know it's a bit tame for this thread, but what could cause this to happen to a spider gear from a Hyundai Elantra?

It started acting up in September before there was any ice on the road, but I guess my brother could have hooked the tires up after spinning out on an oil spot or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm going with neutral drops.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That seems like something he might do. Whatevs, I got paid to replace the transmission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Snapped this one today at the local Home Depot parking lot:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Well at least my ball joins failed at Home De... oh.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

incredibull posted:

Well at least my ball joins failed at Home De... oh.
Nothing a little duck tape can't fix.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Once he gets the other three wheels done, though, it's going to look so stanced, dude.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, isn't that a beam axle up front?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hella flush.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I really wish I would have gotten a picture, but when I was driving home from Ypsilanti yesterday I saw a truck going on the freeway that three of the tires were like that. Only one still at full height was the driverside rear. Thing looked like a god drat death trap.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Drivers are mechanical failures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At least there's not a severed foot in any of the pictures.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

warcake posted:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

Drivers are mechanical failures.

Lambo doors on a semi? :mmmhmm:

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does that sticker say F1 Race Factory?

Edit: Oh I see it's a go-kart track

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Godholio posted:

At least there's not a severed foot in any of the pictures.

I didn't get a picture of the one that had a nice head shaped dent in the front quarter panel from a cyclist. The bike was a mess, although the police took that and also came to take pictures of the truck.

EDIT: Also forgot to get a pic of the guy driving round one of those with the cab tilted over because he didn't want to put it down to move it 10 foot.

warcake fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 20, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whitey Ford posted:

Does that sticker say F1 Race Factory?

Edit: Oh I see it's a go-kart track

Yes and yes. Curiously this truck was also a long ways away from F1 Race Factory - it's near downtown Phoenix and this was way out on the east side of town.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

InterceptorV8 posted:

Wait, isn't that a beam axle up front?

GM has had a hard-on for Control-Arm IFS on their 2500 & 3500 model trucks for a good long time. That truck shouldn't have a beam.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

trouser chili posted:

Hella flush.

VIP style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehein
Nov 11, 2010

this is/was the center section from a ford 9in out of my 71 bronco. although it had seen better days it did drive onto the trailer.