Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

destructo posted:

Which one of you is nannerpus :hf:

also,

I love the door handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I also need to do that, but find that I can't get the shift knob off of my 95M, Whenever I give it and real twist the lever feels like it's starting to flex and scares me out of doing anything. This is also a problem because of my previously mentioned radio issues, because if I can't get the knob off I can't yank the console to release the rest of the console to change the head unit.

Any ideas? Two pipe wrenches? I'm at a loss, myself.

Is it the Nardi knob? It has a little set screw underneath the wood part of the shifter. Just pull down the rubber and it takes a very small little hex wrench.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It is a nardi knob but it's leather, not wood. I'll look and see if it has the set screw tomorrow though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

n8r posted:

Is it the Nardi knob? It has a little set screw underneath the wood part of the shifter. Just pull down the rubber and it takes a very small little hex wrench.

Which Nardi knob has this?

I have the hockey puck one. And it doesn't have a set screw.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My '92 black and tan does.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Ziploc posted:

Which Nardi knob has this?

I have the hockey puck one. And it doesn't have a set screw.

I have the wooden knob (hurr) and it's got the set screw on the collar.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Just got home with the latest aquisition.

'00 with 50k miles, JR supercharger, roll bar, FM stage 2 suspension package. It was owned by a guy who used to race shifter carts and now races a gutted Miata in various classes.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 5, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good stuff. The JRSC has some issues with heat management seeing how it is a positive displacement SC; just be careful and everything should be alright.

Snow: ON
Falken Ziex ZE-912s: ON
Back end: OUT

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Phone posted:

Good stuff. The JRSC has some issues with heat management seeing how it is a positive displacement SC; just be careful and everything should be alright.

Snow: ON
Falken Ziex ZE-912s: ON
Back end: OUT

Hah. Last time I was in a snow belt state with snow tires on my Miata, I got stuck just pulling out of the parking lot. A sheet of black ice had formed under the shadow of the building, and I was well stuck for over 30 minutes on the incline, grinding and pushing while a multitude of Camrys, Accords and SUVs passed by, gawking and staring.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
If I was still in Minnesota I would never have even considered buying a Miata.

Extra Info: It also has a sweet-rear end Kenwood head unit, a manifold-back magnaflow exhaust, and the FM chassis brace kit. It has 205/50-15 Falkan Azenis tires and I'm not exactly sure what wheels they are, all they say is "Force F1-Light Racing Tuner" and they're dual-pattern. Enkei? (edit: wishful thinking, they're 'Drag DR-9', whatever they are.)

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 5, 2010

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I put my snow tires on and have been winter driving ~*MY MIATA*~ for a few years and have never gotten stuck. And I'm up in this arctic wasteland you call Canada. You guys must be doing it wrong :canada:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Going to keep the summer tires on until I spin out a few times, because I'm (retarded and) gonna try to save that $300.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Some human being busted my taillight while I was snowboarding today for 3 hours.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He couldn't understand why it's in MOMA.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Phone posted:

He couldn't understand why it's in MOMA.

Perhaps it was a carefully executed artistic statement? The fragility of all that we find beautiful.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FireTora posted:

Some human being busted my taillight while I was snowboarding today for 3 hours.

Lack of other damage suggests that they might have been trying to break in to the trunk. Smash the left-hand light in, then pull the cable release. It's the easiest way in without a key...

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

meltie posted:

Lack of other damage suggests that they might have been trying to break in to the trunk. Smash the left-hand light in, then pull the cable release. It's the easiest way in without a key...

Doubt that, there's like 3 miatas in alaska, people don't know the tricks with them up here. My cable release is cut anyway, only way into the truck is with the key. Think it was just some loving locals

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I have a buttload of spare tails around, let me know if you're interested.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

I have a buttload of spare tails around, let me know if you're interested.

lol

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Guinness posted:

Very nice. Now that it's winter, I'm incredibly envious of your PRHT. Haters gonna hate, but since my Miata is a DD I'd kill for a PRHT.

What's up NC buddy?

:hf:

Go ahead and budget for tires before you hit 15000 miles...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

What's up NC buddy?

I actually have a 95M, but have given some consideration to buying an NC PRHT. :ssh:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So the cable that controls the direction of air/heat (head/feet/defrost/etc) in my NA is hosed. It's frayed near the top so I can't change to to defrost which is killing me this winter. Anyone know where I can score a replacement? Right now I just have the cable completely disconnected and hanging by the driver footwell so I can manually pull the cable to change the direction, but ughhhhh it's a pain.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Guinness posted:

I actually have a 95M, but have given some consideration to buying an NC PRHT. :ssh:

Well crap...I clicked the wrong post :argh: We do have something in common though -- I also cry when I masturbate :ssh:

My '09 is MX-5 #4 for me...I had a '97, a '99, and an '02 prior.

I avoided the PRHT because it has fractionally less headroom...at 6'3" that fraction was kinda important. I also found it didn't really make any improvements in wind or road noise -- but it would come in handy living in a high crime area (which I do).

And it has eaten tires -- at least the OEM Bridgestones. I had the outer treads at the wear bars in 12000 miles and the inners at the bars by 14000 miles. Granted they only had a 140 wear rating, so I guess I hit that one on the nose. I just put new Continentals on last weekend -- still wearing the molding compound off and it's as cold as a witches tit right now, so I can't really tell how much performance I'm losing in getting a 50000 mile tire.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Never mind I just googled metric thread pitch and feel dumb.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 7, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've got a vacuum leak at the brake booster apparently. How do I fix this?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Is it the line connected to the booster or is the booster itself leaking?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IIRC, the booster line has an internal check valve so if that's leaking get the line from Mazda. Otherwise I would assume you'd have to replace the booster itself.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Goober Peas posted:

Well crap...I clicked the wrong post :argh: We do have something in common though -- I also cry when I masturbate :ssh:

My '09 is MX-5 #4 for me...I had a '97, a '99, and an '02 prior.

I avoided the PRHT because it has fractionally less headroom...at 6'3" that fraction was kinda important. I also found it didn't really make any improvements in wind or road noise -- but it would come in handy living in a high crime area (which I do).

And it has eaten tires -- at least the OEM Bridgestones. I had the outer treads at the wear bars in 12000 miles and the inners at the bars by 14000 miles. Granted they only had a 140 wear rating, so I guess I hit that one on the nose. I just put new Continentals on last weekend -- still wearing the molding compound off and it's as cold as a witches tit right now, so I can't really tell how much performance I'm losing in getting a 50000 mile tire.

Dang, that's really lovely life even for the OEM tires. I went at least 25,000 miles on mine, possibly 40,000 since I'm not sure if the first owner ever got new ones.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GoblinBomb posted:

Dang, that's really lovely life even for the OEM tires. I went at least 25,000 miles on mine, possibly 40,000 since I'm not sure if the first owner ever got new ones.

I would have been more upset if they didn't have such a low wear rating...I had never heard of Max Performance Summer tires until I bought this car. They were definitely grippy -- I couldn't make them squeal the first 10000 miles, even when sliding through corners.

I ended up getting Continental DWS all-seasons as replacements. I can tell I'm giving up some ultimate grip when pushed, but overall I'm pleased so far. I hope to have the car paid off before buying tires again.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Since the last cold period my air bag light started flashing (defective s sensor allegedly). As the air bag in the first gen Miatas has a reputation of causing more injuries than preventing them anyways I decided to just disable all of it instead of getting it fixed (I live in Europe, so an air bag is not mandatory here). Now what I am wondering is if I have to remove that overlapping part of the safety belt which supposedly extends the belt (that's the part near the bottom mount, covered in a sleeve) as well so my pretty face does not hit the steering wheel in the event of an accident or if I'll be fine without tempering with it.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

duep posted:

Since the last cold period my air bag light started flashing (defective s sensor allegedly). As the air bag in the first gen Miatas has a reputation of causing more injuries than preventing them anyways I decided to just disable all of it instead of getting it fixed (I live in Europe, so an air bag is not mandatory here). Now what I am wondering is if I have to remove that overlapping part of the safety belt which supposedly extends the belt (that's the part near the bottom mount, covered in a sleeve) as well so my pretty face does not hit the steering wheel in the event of an accident or if I'll be fine without tempering with it.

If it works correctly it should lock when it's quickly yanked, thus you shouldn't hit the wheel... full force anyway. The air bag is just a secondary layer of protection, the belt is what does most of the work. If you're that worried about your face you should fix the air bag system or get a harness though because if anything does happen to you it'll be your face on the wheel.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

duep posted:

As the air bag in the first gen Miatas has a reputation of causing more injuries than preventing them

More information please.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My aunt's boyfriend's sister's cousin's uncle once

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
An early miata airbag killed Santa Claus. That is why he doesn't come to your house anymore.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
well I heard from this Japanese guy th

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miata is hibernating:

Click here for the full 1098x1836 image.

On a completely different note, Top Gear UK is taking a miata through the middle east(along with a Fiat and a Z3) this year as a special!

Edit: Is $104 the best price /shock for Bilstein HDs? (NA 1994)

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 14, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I yanked on the PCV hose a little too hard and sort of tore it a little at the end (1.8 96'). Rosenthal wants $34 for the kit that has the little hose in it(and includes a bunch of other crap I don't need, it's not sold by itself as far as I can tell), but is it just another thing that can be replaced with standard vacuum hosing of the proper size?

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Yes. Bulk hose is fine for the PCV. The PCV gromit that sits in the valve cover can also be found in the "misc/help" section of your local autoparts store too.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

iscariot posted:

Yes. Bulk hose is fine for the PCV. The PCV gromit that sits in the valve cover can also be found in the "misc/help" section of your local autoparts store too.

OK woot thanks.

On inspection, I also managed to break the actual PCV, I think, the base sort of came apart, but that's no big deal, like $16 and $3 for the grommit.

I like having a car now that I'm always like *something breaks* "well this probably costs hundreds" *checks internet* "oh, it's only $25"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Went
Aug 21, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Cross posted from the "You put what on your car" thread.

Found downtown in San Francisco.