Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Thanks for the thoughts on RE -- sounds like I'll be good starting with 4. Maybe I'll check out the others afterwards. I haven't played a survival horror game since the original Alone in the Dark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Mobius posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on RE -- sounds like I'll be good starting with 4. Maybe I'll check out the others afterwards. I haven't played a survival horror game since the original Alone in the Dark!

Some quick things to know about RE4 specifically:

-Unlike the other versions of RE4 that require to aim the laser sight after you draw the gun, you can use the Wiimote to aim your gun before drawing it, allowing you to pull off nearly instantaneous headshots. It's really fun.

-Even if they take up a good amount of room early on in the game, you should keep at least one or two flash grenades in reserve in case you get surrounded by enemies. They're also very useful against a certain type of enemy that crops up fairly early into the game.

-If you're just starting out, you should definitely consider buying a treasure map. The treasures are often in tricky places, and you money you'll get from finding them more than make up the money you spent for the map.

-On the topic of treasures, never sell the small jewels. They combine with other treasures to become much MUCH more valuable.

-Don't be afraid to use the crows as target practice. They usually have stuff on them that makes it worth your while.

-Speaking of target practice, you should make an effort to finish every shooting minigame you come across. One of them gets you a moderately useful weapon, and the others earn you useful bundles of cash if you complete them.

-Most importantly, if you're fighting against individual enemies, use the knife on them when they're down on the ground. It's very useful for saving ammo. You should also use the knife to open crates and barrels, but take care to swipe twice when opening the smaller ones, because a specific enemy occasionally lurks inside them.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Blastinus posted:

-Don't be afraid to use the crows as target practice. They usually have stuff on them that makes it worth your while.

Crows drop ammo, money, and herbs, while fish in the lake offer a massive health boost. Make sure to shoot a few in the lake when you get to it, as you can't pick up live fish and it will be awhile until you go back.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blastinus posted:

-Most importantly, if you're fighting against individual enemies, use the knife on them when they're down on the ground. It's very useful for saving ammo.

Actually, you don't realy have to bother with this. The more ammo you use, the more the game throws at you so its perfectly ok to be blast happy.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

PJStelford posted:

Crows drop ammo, money, and herbs, while fish in the lake offer a massive health boost. Make sure to shoot a few in the lake when you get to it, as you can't pick up live fish and it will be awhile until you go back.

Also take a decent amount of pot shots into the lake itself from the shore. Please SAVE your game beforehand though.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
Anything else for Fallout: New Vegas that wasn't mentioned in the thread? Anything missable, like those few Bobbleheads from Fallout 3?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mobius posted:

Also note that in RE4, if you stun an enemy by shooting certain parts of their bodies, you can execute special melee follow-up attacks if you get in close quickly.

These melee attacks are powerful, fun, and great for crowd control - if you kick an enemy at the front of a crowd, he'll probably knock a bunch of others over as he goes flying, to give an example.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Mystic_Squid posted:

Anything else for Fallout: New Vegas that wasn't mentioned in the thread? Anything missable, like those few Bobbleheads from Fallout 3?

Not sure what was mentioned, but I found these items very useful, and lots of them were easy to miss:
  • Followers Lab Coat: +10 to Science/Medicine while worn. Very handy because it means you can keep your Science at 10 points below each threshold (so 15, 40, 65 and 90) and then just toss the coat on whenever you run into a terminal. You get it by completing all of Julie Farkas's quests in the Old Mormon Fort.
  • Naughty Nightwear: +10 to Speech and +1 to Luck while worn. I generally default to wearing this whenever I'm not killing things, as you never know when a speech check might pop up. Granted, almost every speech check is repeatable, but it's still a timesaver. You can buy (or steal it) from Mick & Ralph's special inventory.
  • The Rebreather: Lets you breathe in any water. I wear this all the time, as it works with most headgear (even the Space Helmet) and it's fun to just never have to worry about drowning. You get it from Jack at Nellis, but you need to have advanced the Volare! quest far enough.
  • Roving Trader Hat/Outfit: The hat and the outfit provide +5 to Barter each, which amounts to +10 when worn together. You should carry this at all times and put it on before dealing with ANY merchant. There's no real single place to find it--sometimes you luck out and a merchant has it in stock, but more often than not you have to kill some poor traveling merchant in the wastes and take it from his corpse.
  • Vault 3 Utility Suit: +5 to Repair and Lockpick while worn, just like in Fallout 3. Another great one to have because you can keep your Lockpick below the thresholds, freeing up more skill points per level-up. You get it from Vault 3 (obviously), which is great because the fiends outside are a pushover and the ones inside won't go hostile if you pass a low speech check.

And in NV there are skill books and implants instead of bobbleheads. There are 12 implants (1 for each SPECIAL attribute, 1 bonus to DT, and 1 bonus to health regen), and there are roughly 4 skill books per skill (which each give a +3 to a skill, or +4 if you take the Comprehension perk). The implants are very expensive, while the skill books are free (but difficult to find, and you usually have to steal them).

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any specific tips I should take into account for Dragon Age: Origins. Bearing in mind I'm an elf mage. I've just arrived at Redcliffe and I'm enjoying the game. The only thing surprising me is I'm enjoying the plot far more than the combat which is fun but feels a bit too hectic.

I'm playing on Normal with Alastair, Morrigan and some Rouge womam whose name I forget. Any particular tips on breaking the game by going a Blood Mage or similair tips?

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

If you can find the Gamecube remake of the original, get it but only on the grounds that it owns. You really don't need to play any others in the series before 4 and honestly playing them might turn you off of 4, which is a completely different and superior game from the rest.

VV EDIT: I had no idea what Umbrella Chronicles actually was. I just really like REmake :v:

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Archives-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00269DXXO
You can get a brand new copy of REmake for 17 bucks on Amazon. There are 'some' differences in controlling it with the Wiimote, but not anything extensive like in RE4.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Ramagamma posted:

Any specific tips I should take into account for Dragon Age: Origins. Bearing in mind I'm an elf mage. I've just arrived at Redcliffe and I'm enjoying the game. The only thing surprising me is I'm enjoying the plot far more than the combat which is fun but feels a bit too hectic.

I'm playing on Normal with Alastair, Morrigan and some Rouge womam whose name I forget. Any particular tips on breaking the game by going a Blood Mage or similair tips?

Personally, I don't think that Blood Mages are the way to go, unless you've got the Awakenings expansion and you have specialties to burn. But considering you get two specializations no matter what, the only thing that matters is that you take Arcane Warrior as one of them.

In terms of party configuration, Alistair is a good tank so make sure you pump his shield skills, then have him pick Champion as his second specialization. If your PC is a mage, then I think Morrigan is best swapped out with Wynne (who joins your party as part of the Circle tower quest). Wynne's a healer, which definitely reduces the frantic pace of combat, since you no longer have to worry about health potions. Plus, Morrigan has poo poo spells no matter what kind of mage you want her to be (offensive, healer or support). Leliana (your rogue) is ideal because she starts with a few ranks in lockpick, while the other rogue, Zevran, does not.

And then here's some other advice:

If you're willing to spend a little bit of extra cash, you should grab the Soldier's Peak DLC. There's a short quest, but the reward is a chest that you can store items in. You don't get one in the basic game, and it's a huge relief to be able to store good items instead of selling them to make space in your inventory. Also, if you leave items in the chest long enough, their quality (aka their tier) will increase with your level, until everything you put in the chest will become tier 7.

Along those same lines, buying the Awakening DLC nets you a merchant who will sell a book that lets you completely respec your characters, PC or party-members. It costs about 6 gold per book, so it's not cheap but they are unlimited. Using it lets you redistribute EVERY skill, talent and attribute point you've received since level 1, even points you gained through quests (like in the Fade for the Circle quest) or from skill tomes.

Abuse the "Hold Position" option. Most fights in the game will go from next-to-impossible to merely challenging by ordering your party to stay still. The game is pretty good at broadcasting the locations of fights, which allows you a chance to prepare. Since the majority of levels in the game are dungeons with long hallways and large rooms full of enemies, you can make most battles much more manageable by telling your party to hold position in the hallway, sending your tank into the room, then having him run back out when the enemies spot him.

During any encounter, your priority should be on killing or disabling the mage (if one is present). Ideally, you should set some of your party's tactics to do this automatically. So have your spellcaster set to cast Crushing Prison (or Petrify, or Sleep/Horror/Waking Nightmare) the moment he spots an enemy mage, or set your tank to stun him with Shield Bash or whatever stun/knockdown skill you use.

Your mage should be one of the biggest damage dealers in your party (if not THE biggest), but you should also concentrate on crowd control. Spells like Winter's Grasp, Cone of Cold, Force Field, Crushing Prison, Sleep/Horror, and Mind Blast will all serve you well by completely disabling most enemies during combat. Cold spells have the added benefit of shattering enemies if you do enough damage to them while frozen. Crushing Prison is great because, unlike Force Field, you can still damage the target while the spell is active on them. Fireball has an excellent knockdown effect and the friendly fire damage is negligible if your tank is wearing Wade's armor.

It's good to give your party one high- to mid-ranked tactic that instructs them to target whatever enemy the controlled party member is targeting (this prevents you from having to manually select the entire party and redirect their attention during combat). The tactic is "Enemy: Target of controlled party member." Just be sure that you instruct your party to use an offensive talent on the enemy instead of setting them all to the nondescript "Attack" instruction. If you set them to attack, every character will ONLY use their basic attack and will never use their talents. So have your warriors and rogues use their cheapest talent (as it's most likely to regenerate the fastest) and have your mages cast Arcane Bolt. That way, they'll use the talent and the enemy will stay targeted so the party will start moving down their list of tactics (especially ones like "Enemy: Nearest visible" or "Enemy: Any").

You will want to keep your eyes peeled for the following items: Love Letters (you need 12), Scrolls of Banastor (5), Corpse Galls (9, OR 18 for a better reward) and Garnets (10). It's very easy to miss them early on if you don't know that you should be looking for them.

There are four types of items that you should always check to see if merchants have any in stock:
  1. Backpacks. Each backpack increases your carry capacity by 10, to a maximum of 120. They start out fairly cheap (roughly 50 silver) and then skyrocket (to close to 10 gold). Still, they're rare and you want to buy the maximum sooner, rather than later. Remember, if you have to hold off on buying armor/weapons to buy a backpack, it'll even out in the long run as the increased carry capacity will let you sell more loot.
  2. Recipes. If you have a character with any ranks in Herbalism, it's likely that they'll only know how to make three potions: Lesser Health Poultice, Lesser Lyrium Potion, and the Mabari Crunch. To make more and different potions, you need to buy potion recipes from merchants. Random potion recipes are fairly cheap and/or useless, but good recipes (Injury Kits, Health Poultices, and Lyrium Potions) will cost anywhere from 5 to 10 gold. They're worth every penny, too. Keep in mind that more potent versions of the same potion require the same ingredients, just larger quantities. Stronger versions will also require things like Distillation Agents, so hang on to those as well. Bodahn Feddic (the dwarf merchant in your camp) should have an unlimited supply of most potion agents, as well as flasks, and various merchants have unlimited supplies of the various ingredients (Circle Tower has unlimited lyrium dust, the Dalish elves have unlimited elfroot, etc.).
  3. Gifts. Merchants are the best way of acquiring gifts. You'll find plenty in dungeons, but you'll find a lot more from merchants. Just buy every gift you see, unless you're short on cash in which case you should only buy the character-specific gifts (as opposed to generic gifts like jewelry). Of course, once you have the DLC gifts become pointless. The only ones you want to watch out for are ones that trigger conversations or quests like Morrigan's Golden Mirror or the Black Grimoire. Otherwise, you can just buy the unique gift for each companion from Feddic, and it'll boost their disposition by 50.
  4. Skill tomes. These will all have different names, like Tome of Skill and Sundry or Tome of the Mortal Vessel. They may or may not have restrictions (like "Only usable by the PC" or "Only usable by mages"). Using them gives you one or more of: attribute points, skill points, talent points. They're finite and won't restock, but they're also pricey so you may have to note their location and return when you have the money. Don't miss out on them, though, as they'll substantially increase your characters' abilities.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 6, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mobius posted:

Just so you know, it isn't survival horror. 1-3 are, 4 and 5 are straight up action.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Astfgl posted:

[*]Roving Trader Hat/Outfit: The hat and the outfit provide +5 to Barter each, which amounts to +10 when worn together. You should carry this at all times and put it on before dealing with ANY merchant. There's no real single place to find it--sometimes you luck out and a merchant has it in stock, but more often than not you have to kill some poor traveling merchant in the wastes and take it from his corpse.

The easiest and earliest way to score this set is to shoot the guy who tells you about the star bottlecaps in the face. Plus, he's carrying some star bottlecaps. win-win

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Anything for Just Cause 2? I bought the Black Market Aerial Pack but I somehow lost my JET PACK PARACHUTE after I bought it, any clue why that happened?

Alca
Sep 7, 2005
8D
Any tips for Superman on N64? I heard it was a bad game but come on its superman it cant be that bad!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alca posted:

Any tips for Superman on N64? I heard it was a bad game but come on its superman it cant be that bad!

-Play on the easiest difficulty until it wont let you progress, then when it takes you to the main menu, change the difficulty a level up and then select Last Game and it will take you to the level you left off at.

-Its much more efficient to just fly into most enemies to kill them rather than punch them

Its a pretty straightforward game that I happened to rent like 3 different times for some odd reason.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
A few tips for The Last Remnant since I've just wasted the last month or so of my life on it:

- Your battle rank goes up as you kill monsters, and certain enemies and fights will scale up with your rank. I only had trouble with one fight because of it though, so it's not a big deal.
- If you're having trouble with a fight with lots of monsters, try putting Dave in charge of a union. Occasionally he pulls a special move that will literally kill everything on the field. Similarly, a few other leaders get special moves that they only use when in charge of a union.
- A huge number of areas and quests in this game are missable. The only real way to make sure you don't miss something important is to visit every Pub and speak to everyone with a red bubble on their heads before you go to advance the plot. Every time you advance the plot. With a couple of minor exceptions, there's almost never a reason to talk to anyone without a red bubble.
- Characters get better at using arts by using them. Even if the attack is queued and never fires, the character will still get some XP for it. This means you should never just choose straight attack, always get your guys to use arts, regardless of how weak an enemy is. Note that the union leader is far more likely to use arts than anyone else.
- Choose a weapon type for Rush and stick with it, just about everything works, though sword and board or dual wield seem best for an all rounder.
- This game has the most ridiculously overcomplicated crafting system I have ever encountered, you will end up with literally hundreds of different components. Many components will only be dropped after you get a particular magazine as a quest reward for completing a guild task.
- If a character explicitly asks for a component, that means it is somehow possible to get it without advancing the plot. It may not be worth the hassle however of explicitly looking for it though, since occasionally the characters change their minds about the items they want for no apparent reason.
- Look out for rare monsters (they have green names when you select them) early on they may obliterate you, but it's always worth trying to kill them. Many union tasks require you to kill rares and trying to get them to spawn deliberately can be an amazing pain in the rear end.
- Look out for the characters you recruit hanging round in the town you recruited them in. If you find one, then speak to them, go back to the world map and then go speak to them again. Repeat until you feel your sanity beginning to crack. After a while, they'll show red bubbles, and after enough red bubbles you'll get a special stat bonus for them. Sometimes they'll give you a quest first, and you need to speak to them again after doing it to get the bonus. Also, sometimes you'll need to advance the plot to a certain point before you can get their bonus/quest. For a couple of people, doing their quests will unlock their supermoves.
- If you're a completionist, you will need this website:

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide

You'll also need the patience of a saint and vast amounts of time.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 7, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Foul Fowl posted:

Anything for Just Cause 2? I bought the Black Market Aerial Pack but I somehow lost my JET PACK PARACHUTE after I bought it, any clue why that happened?

The parachute goes away when you die unless you mod the game to always have it.

Hijack jet -> shoot at oil rig -> get paid.

Opening your parachute so close to landing that you're still in the "opening" animation when you hit doesn't kill you. Try this on mountains or buildings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Opening your parachute so close to landing that you're still in the "opening" animation when you hit doesn't kill you. Try this on mountains or buildings.

There's nothing quite as awesome as slamming into the ground full force at 150 miles an hour, bouncing around like a ragdoll for a second, then just getting right up, brushing yourself off, with Rico muttering out a "sheesh." All because you were reaching for the parachute cord at the moment of impact and that's good enough for the game!

I loving love Just Cause 2.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's nothing quite as awesome as slamming into the ground full force at 150 miles an hour, bouncing around like a ragdoll for a second, then just getting right up, brushing yourself off, with Rico muttering out a "sheesh." All because you were reaching for the parachute cord at the moment of impact and that's good enough for the game!

I loving love Just Cause 2.

If by for a second you mean for 10 seconds as you roll down the side of a mountain, I agree.

Edit: \/\/Yes, New Vegas is basically Fallout 3 with a ton more polish. It's still pretty buggy, but it's basically better in every way.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 7, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm considering buying Fallout: New Vegas, but am not sure if I should. I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 3, since it seemed to have a lot of Bethesda's trademark Lack of Polish(T), with characters and questlines that weren't very interesting, a number of useless skills, and a maximum level that was achieved way too drat fast. From what I've heard, New Vegas is a more polished, tightened up Fallout 3 game, is this the case? I'm not opposed to the gameplay, just what Bethesda did with it, if that makes sense, so I might have an interest in this title.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morpheus posted:

I'm considering buying Fallout: New Vegas, but am not sure if I should. I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 3, since it seemed to have a lot of Bethesda's trademark Lack of Polish(T), with characters and questlines that weren't very interesting, a number of useless skills, and a maximum level that was achieved way too drat fast. From what I've heard, New Vegas is a more polished, tightened up Fallout 3 game, is this the case? I'm not opposed to the gameplay, just what Bethesda did with it, if that makes sense, so I might have an interest in this title.

New Vegas is much more polished and has a ton of interesting characters and questlines. I'm not sure about the max level issue though, I'm a ways into the game and leveling up extremely quickly. If the idea of Fallout 3 appealed to you but the execution fell flat, then you'd probably enjoy New Vegas.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Morpheus posted:

You advance levels faster in New Vegas than FO3. On the whole, though, the gameplay is much more challenging than Fallout 3's, so you never feel too overpowered until you hit the level cap (or unless you're playing on Very Easy).

I think you'd find the game to your liking if what you're interested in is a complex, story-oriented RPG with distinct, memorable characters and setpieces. The main quest is vastly more engaging and original than Fallout 3's, and the world feels and looks more diverse (even though it also feels smaller). New Vegas is more of the spiritual successor to Fallout 2 than FO3 was.

But if you're expecting a polished game that isn't riddled with bugs, this isn't it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I just picked up Drakes Fortune 1&2 and Dead Space, so anything about these three games I would appreciate!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm a tiny bit into Metro 2033, and wondering if there are important things that new players may miss. I also have never played through Knights of the Old Republic, and I got a copy of that real cheap recently, wondering if there is any advice on that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

I just picked up Drakes Fortune 1&2 and Dead Space, so anything about these three games I would appreciate!

For both uncharted games (Note that drake's fortune is the subtitle of the first game) they're extremely straight forward third person cover shooters so theres really nothing to say. You cant even pick your loadout or anything, so just kill bad guys.

For Dead Space, How many guns you carry is vastly going to affect the difficulty. If you've ever played RE4 you're familiar with this design, drops are carefully controlled so you're rarely totally out of ammo. What this means though is if you carry only one gun you will have more ammo than you know what do with. Carry 4 and it gets kinda spread out and you'll run out of ammo on different guns alot. Personally I found 3 to be a sweet spot.

Also are you playing it on PC? If so disable in-game vsync, the game caps your mouse movements to the framerate so it'll be extremely sluggish if you do. If you really need vsync, use your graphics card's control panel.

Ularg posted:

I'm a tiny bit into Metro 2033, and wondering if there are important things that new players may miss. I also have never played through Knights of the Old Republic, and I got a copy of that real cheap recently, wondering if there is any advice on that.

I havent gotten far enough into metro to give advice but for KOTOR all I can say is stick it out through Taris. It's seriously the worst but the game gets better immediately upon leaving.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ularg posted:

Metro 2033 is totally linear but still has two endings. To unlock the secret "good" but arguably much worse ending you'll need to find/do a subset of random tasks ranging from the logical, say goodbye to your father at the beginning of the game, to the random, play this lyre no not that one, to the non-sensical, smoke this weed.

Other than that, buy a silenced, scoped handgun as early as possible. Don't worry about assault rifles/shotguns as you'll find better ones or have the top-tier one forced on you by the endgame.

As for KOTOR: There is no reason to not have a 3 jedi party. Regardless of alignment you should take force healing. If you go lightside, the force power that makes you go faster (FORCE SPEED -Correction by RagnarokAngel) is a complete game-breaker.

The opening, Taris, is fairly long and sort of sucks. Tatooine should be the first planet you visit since you get HK 47 there and, while the most worthless character class, he is a goddamn loveable murderous droid.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 7, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

^^^ It's Force Speed. And yeah take it. The first level just makes you faster but 2 and 3 are hilariously absurd because they give bonuses to practically everything.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Just enjoy the top-notch writing and humor. I've heard some goons say that, for the first game at least, it's a lot more fun on harder difficulty because it goes from Whack-A-Mole with guns to a ceaseless gauntlet of guys suicide charging you so you have tons of fisticuffs and are constantly moving about and fighting people.

Also, in Drake's Fortune 2 there's one part where you find a pool atop a building. Swim in it. Trust me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ularg posted:

As mentioned above the "good" ending involves you discovering a bunch of poo poo you'd never possibly think of achieving. There's really nothing important you can miss (and all the best guns show up in the last shop although that's oddly near the middle of the game) so all I can suggest is grabbing the pump harpoon gun (sorry, forgot the name) because it will save your life in a level with nigh invincible enemies.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've heard some goons say that, for the first game at least, it's a lot more fun on harder difficulty because it goes from Whack-A-Mole with guns to a ceaseless gauntlet of guys suicide charging you so you have tons of fisticuffs and are constantly moving about and fighting people.

Don't do this if you value your sanity. Uncharted is difficult enough on normal. The first game has a really easy melee system (punch three times and win) but Uncharted 2 throws it away completely (despite beefing up Nate) by making it a button masher followed by an occassional counter button that leaves you open to everyone else. Drake's Fortune has annoying enemies that appear near the end and everyone upgrades to laser sights. Among Thieves' enemies end up turning into suicidal assholes with full body armor and shotguns that casually stroll upon your cover and no amount of gun fire will cause them to flinch or back off. If you play your first game on hard you'll be cursing every known god unless you're awesome at these kinds of games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

As mentioned above the "good" ending involves you discovering a bunch of poo poo you'd never possibly think of achieving. There's really nothing important you can miss (and all the best guns show up in the last shop although that's oddly near the middle of the game) so all I can suggest is grabbing the pump harpoon gun (sorry, forgot the name) because it will save your life in a level with nigh invincible enemies.

The Van Helsing!

The things to get the good ending aren't completely random (some are, especially the ones to smoke the hookahs); most of them involve doing the 'right' thing: letting patrols live that don't need to die, being generous with your money, that sort of thing. Other things involve actions that may let you find a bit of good in the world (if that makes sense), like finding a box of stuffed animals, taking off your mask in a playground, that sort of thing.

Okay it's a little random when it comes to finding them out, but reading the different things on a list shows a recurring theme with the actions.

Man that game is fun, I want another linear, super atmospheric RPG. Good thing the sequel is in development!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thanks for all the help folks with Planescape: Torment.

I'm making good enough progress, but god drat the game is buggy as hell on my system. Every time the game has to load a new area (such as entering a door), there's about a 10% chance it will crash so I have to constantly quicksave. And lately I've run into a lovely little issue where it rapidly pauses/unpauses sometimes, making it unplayable until I reboot my whole computer. That last bit didn't start happening until I reached what presumably is the second disc area. I wonder if it has anything to do with the no-cd patch or whatever was put into that guide posted a few pages back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks for all the help folks with Planescape: Torment.

I'm making good enough progress, but god drat the game is buggy as hell on my system. Every time the game has to load a new area (such as entering a door), there's about a 10% chance it will crash so I have to constantly quicksave. And lately I've run into a lovely little issue where it rapidly pauses/unpauses sometimes, making it unplayable until I reboot my whole computer. That last bit didn't start happening until I reached what presumably is the second disc area. I wonder if it has anything to do with the no-cd patch or whatever was put into that guide posted a few pages back.

You can buy Planescape off GoG for $10 and it runs fine on my computer. With Christmas coming up you might find a good sale.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Never run in Dead Space unless you cleared the room out and have yet to trigger any flags. There are enemies who spawn and kill you for running too long.
Flamethrowers are worthless.
Don't go crazy with spending.

edit: The swarmers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 7, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Never run in Dead Space unless you cleared the room out and have yet to trigger any flags. There are enemies who spawn and kill you for running too long.

What? I've never seen this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

You can buy Planescape off GoG for $10 and it runs fine on my computer. With Christmas coming up you might find a good sale.
Are saves transferable between the 4 CD and GoG versions?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything to take into consideration before beginning the critically acclaimed godsend that is Beyond Good and Evil?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Are saves transferable between the 4 CD and GoG versions?

I believe so, but bear in mind that saves are not transferable between widescreen settings. That is to say, if you install or uninstall the widescreen patch, or change your widescreen settings, and then try to load a save from before you did that, you will get constant crashes.

FWIW, I also have the 4-CD version, followed the same guide, and it ran flawlessly on win7 64-bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ToxicFrog posted:

I believe so, but bear in mind that saves are not transferable between widescreen settings. That is to say, if you install or uninstall the widescreen patch, or change your widescreen settings, and then try to load a save from before you did that, you will get constant crashes.

FWIW, I also have the 4-CD version, followed the same guide, and it ran flawlessly on win7 64-bit.
That guide upon closer inspection actually does warn against using any no-cd patch, so I'll just have to try to undo it (pretty sure I left a backup) and see if that fixes some of my problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bought it on the steam sale and just started it now, any tips for Empire: Total War?