Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

So no Thick of It this year, I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Smeep posted:

So no Thick of It this year, I take it?
I haven't heard anything about them even thinking about writing a new series. I assume Armando Ianucci helped write those Alan Partridge shorts, I'm not sure if he's doing anything else right now.

So probably not, no.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hoops posted:

I haven't heard anything about them even thinking about writing a new series. I assume Armando Ianucci helped write those Alan Partridge shorts, I'm not sure if he's doing anything else right now.

So probably not, no.

He's got several films in the pipeline.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Afterdark posted:

For a soap it was good, wouldn't consider it piss poor.

Yea, I was really impressed by it. Although when it flopped up and down after the crash it was a bit perculiar.
We at first thought the explosion was all that was going to happen and were really disappointed. I'm glad that it wasn't!

And Rita didn't die when those things fell on her, she's totally trapped. They wouldn't kill Rita in something like this. It'd be like killing Norris or Emily Bishop.

HOT BRITISH SEX
Jun 12, 2007

She's just coming, sir.
Dunno if there's been discussion about it before, but I want to put on record how much I enjoyed The Trip. Brave decision to go ahead with it, but it's some of the best TV I've seen in 2010.

Also Stewart Lee is brilliant.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
It was a bit of a fast paced clusterfuck, this google 3D makes it a bit more clear what happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnKnoC8DTb4
The bit it flopped down was the part i went holy poo poo at, my first thought that the explosion was it as well.

Also I went to Youtube to getup to speed on corrie since I have never saw it before in any real sense and I came across Jack Duckworth's final scene and quite possibly the best comment on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4rZLPLfnSk

24 race pigeons for sale, shed included.

Manchester area.

Contact Molly or Tyrone on 01612345678

They even got the area code right.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just watched the final episode of The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, thought it was brilliant. Can see why a lot of reviews have said it's trying to be too clever etc, but for me the reality of the relationship between the two characters works really well and creates the moments of pathos that any great comedy requires. Brydon's happiness in his life contrasted with Coogan's desperate desire to be taken seriously is excellent, and the ongoing rivalry and competition between the two works brilliantly to highlight their differences. Overall one of the better bits of television I've seen this year.

Would be interested to see what anyone else thinks, for anyone who hasn't seen it I think all six episodes are still up on iPlayer.

e: Oh yes, a comment two posts above my own. I read good.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 7, 2010

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Afterdark posted:

They even got the area code right.

To be fair they probably live around here. I don't know many southerners that watch Coronation Street.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Hoops posted:

So probably not, no.

I would have sworn I read about a new series, based on the last election. Or maybe it was just a special.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
I thought that Corrie was brilliant, the effects were definitely laughable but for a soap it was bloody good.

I swear the tram made the same noise as the monster from Lost when it came crashing down on the cabin!

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Smeep posted:

I would have sworn I read about a new series, based on the last election. Or maybe it was just a special.

He's definitely doing a HBO show called "Veep" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Sounds like The Thick Of It USA.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

keveh posted:

I thought that Corrie was brilliant, the effects were definitely laughable but for a soap it was bloody good.

I swear the tram made the same noise as the monster from Lost when it came crashing down on the cabin!

As the tram died and its tailed lashed out into the Kabin, burying Rita under the sherbert lemons, it let out an audible groan.

"twas beauty killed by the sweets" --Ken Barlow

SARSattacks
Apr 17, 2008

HOT BRITISH SEX posted:

Dunno if there's been discussion about it before, but I want to put on record how much I enjoyed The Trip. Brave decision to go ahead with it, but it's some of the best TV I've seen in 2010.

Agreed. Has to go down as one of my all time favourite comedies.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

SARSattacks posted:

Agreed. Has to go down as one of my all time favourite comedies.

Really? I mean seriously... it had its moments but I do not consider 3 hours of Rob Brydon repeating the same 4 impressions ad nauseum the pinnacle of comedy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

slotbadger posted:

He's definitely doing a HBO show called "Veep" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Sounds like The Thick Of It USA.
As far as I know, its a pilot that hasn't been filmed yet. I heard a radio interview with him recently, and he said that the Partridge movie script will be done in about 4/5 months. As soon as thats completed they'll start to push towards filming it.

As for the Thick of It, gently caress knows. He seems to love it though, I can't see him giving up on it. Its just a matter of when he has the time left to do it.

I'm quite happy to wait, as long as its good. I'm glad his career is taking off in a huge way, hes one of the best comedy writers this country has produced in a very long time.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
I went to a talk by him a month or two ago. He mentioned the HBO show about the Vice President's office and said he didn't want to do any more of The Thick Of It until he felt the true character of the coalition was known. I seem to recall he gave a time frame of another year or so before he'd do it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I could have sworn I'd heard there was going to be a Thick of It special airing at the time of the election, but obviously that didn't happen.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Junkenstein posted:

I could have sworn I'd heard there was going to be a Thick of It special airing at the time of the election, but obviously that didn't happen.

No, I definately read that too.
In fact, I seem to remember reading that they were filming 2 episodes of which only one would be used, depending on the results of the election, but the coalition threw a spanner in the works.

Ah well, it didn't occur no matter what was said. shame

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Man, the ending of The Trip was :unsmith: to the extreme.

And I only just got round to watching the Tim Westwood episode of Buzzcocks, he was a lot better than I thought he would be (I loved the interactions between him and his rapper friend especially) and I laughed a lot at his "No one's laughing, I don't know what happened".

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What the gently caress has happened to Question Of Sport? It's full of celebs instead of sports men/women and all the rounds are hosed.

Boo!

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 11, 2018

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Fatkraken posted:

That's the one with pear cider (made with 100% real pear(s)) right? Saw that one live, it was loving stunning.
Yes, it's bloody brilliant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo648qYq4-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0oNT14JWmo

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
Jesus Christ, what happened to Corrie? Last time I saw it it was pretty much a more genteel Northern version of EastEnders, now it just looks like a clone of Hollyoaks with slightly more money to spend on special effects.

Then again, I do love it when soaps just give up all credibility out of desperation for ratings.

:qq: JOOOOOOOOHN :qq:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Benzene posted:

Jesus Christ, what happened to Corrie? Last time I saw it it was pretty much a more genteel Northern version of EastEnders, now it just looks like a clone of Hollyoaks with slightly more money to spend on special effects.

Eastenders is a southern version of Corrie, not the other way around!
And no they're all pretty bonkers nowadays, it's the best way to get ratings.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Taear posted:

Eastenders is a southern version of Corrie, not the other way around!
And no they're all pretty bonkers nowadays, it's the best way to get ratings.

I think the problem with the soaps began when they decided they HAD to be on 4 times a week at least. When they were only on 2 nights a week they were significantly less mental.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010

The Milder comedian show is immense, but you really need to see the whole thing. I think the night before the DVD came out, there was a 15 second ad for it on Dave or Comedy Central and it was just a 10 second clip of Stew saying 'It's a letter...from a pirate...this is meant to the fun bit at the top of the show'.

I don't think that ad increased the sales of the DVD for some reason...

In other, actual TV news, Richard Herring will be on Celebrity Mastermind on Dec 27th, special subject - Rasputin.

birmingha fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 8, 2010

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Do people who watch soaps just not give a poo poo about spoilers? It seems like people are always saying "ooh must watch tonight, so-and-so's gonna die". It seems like the TV guides pretty much tell you exactly what's gonna happen weeks before it actually airs. What's that all about? If spoilers for something I watched were unavoidable I'd be well pissed off.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

nationalista posted:

Do people who watch soaps just not give a poo poo about spoilers?

No they don't, because they tend to be normal people rather than autistic man-children.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010

nationalista posted:

Do people who watch soaps just not give a poo poo about spoilers? It seems like people are always saying "ooh must watch tonight, so-and-so's gonna die". It seems like the TV guides pretty much tell you exactly what's gonna happen weeks before it actually airs. What's that all about? If spoilers for something I watched were unavoidable I'd be well pissed off.

I kind of think that leaking interesting/exciting plot points probaly inflates the audience. I mean, 'working class people, living' doesn't sound thrilling compared to 'Tune in and see X die!'

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Imagine living in a bubble without newspapers or colleagues talking about it, and watching monday night's Corrie not knowing of the impending disaster. You'd poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like to think that people who watch soaps are so handicapped they need a step-by-step guide to what they will be watching in order to understand it.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
My sister loves home and away and will run from the room if I am in her house and an ad comes on for it. We did our Christmas shopping together and I had to line up and pay for her stuff because she didn't wish to see the front covers of magazines that might have spoilers.

One can only assume she sits on the edge of the couch watching it glad not to be spoiled that Alf will say Flaminn' Heck at some point and that loud mouth bitch at the diner will somehow say something inappropriate.

She also emailed me asking to forward her a link to the episodes online so she can rewatch.

My sister is broken.

Of course I sent her the link to the Alf Stewart goes apeshit link and she called me back ranting about how horrible it was.

So yes, there are people who take their soaps seriously and they are to be avoided. If possible.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone watched the documentary Love Me, Love My Face?

It's about a chap with Treacher Collins syndrome and his life and how he's managed to get on. Good stuff I think, gotta the admire the bloke because god drat he just gets on with it and doesn't let poo poo slow him down. It's on the iPlayer at the moment and I fully recommend it.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Its about 5 in the morning, i just got up to have a piss and being a nerd i looked at some of my browser bookmarks, I saw this and im not sure if im having an acid flashback or not, confirm/deny?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That ginger chavvy one is a right knob. Are we supposed to be feeling sorry for him??

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Have they made a coronation street on ice yet?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Ddraig posted:

Have they made a coronation street on ice yet?
A traumatised Gary relives his Afganistan on ice

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Eastenders did a live episode last year. Other than one mildly flubbed line, it worked extremely well

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
What this thread needs is more Alf Garnett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhJwhDtacY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLDY6OC2UVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCmaNQPHRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The Wetherfield AM-Dram league are LIVE now. Will Emily flubb her lines and say " loving Rat's Cocks!"?