Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

What stadiums are these? How can they possibly sell tickets for a game even a few years from now, let alone 20?

e: or are you referring to stadiums that have long term contracts with ticket agencies or something? In which case, that's hardly sold out since those ticket agencies buy thousands of tickets with the intent to resell.

In the nineties, the waiting list for season tickets for the Washington redskins was 40 years or some such nonsense. In order to inherit season tickets from yer dead father, you had to bring the will in to the ticket office.

NFL fans are basically insane in some cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Wedemeyer posted:

On that note, would it be weird to give him a holiday card/gift? I mean, I don't talk to him or anything other then to say thanks once in a while, but we do see each other every day.

Holiday gifts for service people should always be money.

Seriously. Money in a card.

Everyone likes money, and there is no need to deal with food allergies, dietary restrictions, etc. And they can hide it from their bosses.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wedemeyer posted:

On that note, would it be weird to give him a holiday card/gift? I mean, I don't talk to him or anything other then to say thanks once in a while, but we do see each other every day.

When I worked as a postman, getting Christmas presents from customers was one of the most awesome things. I assume the same applies to bus drivers. But don't go with anything overly specific. I got wine, chocolate and money, but anything more than that might seem weird. Also, you are a great person for even thinking of it!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

When I worked as a postman, getting Christmas presents from customers was one of the most awesome things.

Being in Minnesota, I was thinking of getting my postal carriers a box of those chemically activated hand/foot warmers. Would this seem like a good gift, or do they usually already have stuff like that provided to them from the post office?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

BonHair posted:

When I worked as a postman, getting Christmas presents from customers was one of the most awesome things. I assume the same applies to bus drivers. But don't go with anything overly specific. I got wine, chocolate and money, but anything more than that might seem weird. Also, you are a great person for even thinking of it!

I live in a building where there's a wall of 70 or so mailboxes for each unit, with two of the boxes having slits for outgoing mail. If I put some cash in an envelope with a note, and just write "To the Postman" on it, will they see it? Or do you think they'll just grab the outgoing mail and toss it in a bag or something without looking through them?

V I'm not sure how enforced that is. I'm pretty sure my dad's been giving $50-100 to the mailman at Christmas for the last 20 years.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 7, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They'd see it but you could get them fired if they take it. :laugh: They're allowed to accept gifts worth up to $20 but not cash.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Elijya posted:

I live in a building where there's a wall of 70 or so mailboxes for each unit, with two of the boxes having slits for outgoing mail. If I put some cash in an envelope with a note, and just write "To the Postman" on it, will they see it? Or do you think they'll just grab the outgoing mail and toss it in a bag or something without looking through them?

V I'm not sure how enforced that is. I'm pretty sure my dad's been giving $50-100 to the mailman at Christmas for the last 20 years.

I always put the card I give our post lady in my mailbox, at the very back so she sees it when she opens my box to put my mail in. It hasn't failed me yet!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe it's because Canadians are so drat polite, but I thank every person and tell em to "have a good one" at the end of basically anything. Doesn't hurt to be polite dude.

Have a good one!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Being in Minnesota, I was thinking of getting my postal carriers a box of those chemically activated hand/foot warmers. Would this seem like a good gift, or do they usually already have stuff like that provided to them from the post office?

It's definitely not provided for them, but we at least got gloves and sweaters and jackets and other warm clothes. Anything for warming feet is a potentially good idea though, especially if there's a lot of outdoors work for your postman (IE no inner city blocks). Generally, we like to keep our hands clear so we can shift through letters and stuff.

I have no clue where you would leave the presents though, I mostly got from shops and businesses, in person and all. But I intend to leave some cookies at the mailboxes this year. But be aware that anyone collecting mail probably wont read the envelopes at all, unless you put it somewhere else where it's obvious that it's for him.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Any idea where I can find a nice, cushioned, and supportive pair of tennis shoes on the cheap? Preferably something solid and simple and that comes in plain black (I may have to wear these to a work place that ordinarily does not allow tennis shoes).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

Any idea where I can find a nice, cushioned, and supportive pair of tennis shoes on the cheap? Preferably something solid and simple and that comes in plain black (I may have to wear these to a work place that ordinarily does not allow tennis shoes).
Check Yelp/the yellow pages in your area for NURSE SUPPLY STORES. Nurse stores have really, really comfy and conservative-looking shoes in plain black and plain white.

Generally you're looking at $30-40 for the most comfortable shoes you will ever own. Surprise, surprise: nurses wear very comfortable and supportive shoes, since they stand and run all day.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Huntersoninski posted:

tendrilsfor20’s suggestion about nurses’ shoes is a great suggestion. Another option is to check out the Dr. Scholl’s shoe selection at Wal–Mart. Several years ago I bought black lace-up shoes for waitress work from there. They were very comfortable, inexpensive, easy–to–clean, long–lasting, and not hideous–looking. Back then, all D.S. shoes ran narrow, so local stores only stocked wides. I’m not sure if that is still the case, or not.

e:  Looking at Wal–Mart’s online selection, I noticed TredSafe - Women's Bailey Work Shoes. $25.00!
e2:  Way back in my teenager fast–food employment days, I ordered shoes from Shoes for Crews and really liked them. They are still moderately–priced, too. Shoes for Crews / Women’s Athletic Shoes.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2010

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe Reebok Classics? You can buy them almost anywhere. They are the industry standard for nurses (and geeky IT guys with pagers.)

Meanwhile...
I need to buy an inflatable air mattress. It needs to be fast inflating and very simple to use with a with a built-in pump. I don't care how much it costs; I'm buying it on an expense account for my employer. Please recommend me a specific model, or provide a link, if you can.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

betterinsodapop posted:

Maybe Reebok Classics? You can buy them almost anywhere. They are the industry standard for nurses (and geeky IT guys with pagers.)

Meanwhile...
I need to buy an inflatable air mattress. It needs to be fast inflating and very simple to use with a with a built-in pump. I don't care how much it costs; I'm buying it on an expense account for my employer. Please recommend me a specific model, or provide a link, if you can.

Aerobed. It's about as close as you can get to a regular bed.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Can anybody link me to a site where I can buy a stuffed Nautilus? I have tried googling but have had zero luck.

edit: Or a plush horseshoe crab

Philo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 7, 2010

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
Apologies if this is too dumb of a question to ask here:

I was taking a walk in Mountain View, California, on the so called Stevens Creek trail, it's a little road between the Microsoft and NASA campuses.

I was located roughly here, (it appears the Gooogle people have been doing some on bike streetview testing )

map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1,0.001609&z=20

streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...340.67,,0,50.16

The item in question:

Is this an elevation map marker of some sort? What is it if not? I googled few things to no avail.

it reads:

C MNT VIEW

RCE 15910 (or perhaps 15310)

EDIT: Gracias!

Tangra fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 8, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Philo posted:

Can anybody link me to a site where I can buy a stuffed Nautilus? I have tried googling but have had zero luck.

edit: Or a plush horseshoe crab

http://anwo.com/store/horseshoe_crab_stuffed_plush.htm

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Tangra posted:

Apologies if this is too dumb of a question to ask here:

I was taking a walk in Mountain View, California, on the so called Stevens Creek trail, it's a little road between the Microsoft and NASA campuses.

I was located roughly here, (it appears the Gooogle people have been doing some on bike streetview testing )

map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1,0.001609&z=20

streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...340.67,,0,50.16

The item in question:

Is this an elevation map marker of some sort? What is it if not? I googled few things to no avail.

it reads:

C MNT VIEW

It's a reference point for surveying land.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tangra posted:

The item in question:

it reads:

C MNT VIEW

I think it's a triangulation marker. Guessing "C MTN VIEW" stands for City of Mountain View. Call the city land/survey office and I bet they'll confirm it for you.

Edit: Beaten.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I just got a Pampered Chef unglazed stone baker thing. I can bake a hamburger broccoli casserole in this, right? I assume I can, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Seems like any mention of a casserole also mentions a glazed dish instead of unglazed.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

chachu posted:

I just got a Pampered Chef unglazed stone baker thing. I can bake a hamburger broccoli casserole in this, right? I assume I can, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Seems like any mention of a casserole also mentions a glazed dish instead of unglazed.
I don't really know what all goes in hamburger broccoli casserole, but I wouldn't put anything in an unglazed dish that could stain - so no tomato sauce or stuff like that.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Slashie posted:

I don't really know what all goes in hamburger broccoli casserole, but I wouldn't put anything in an unglazed dish that could stain - so no tomato sauce or stuff like that.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I know the unglazed stoneware discolours a lot anyway with a lot of use so it probably wouldn't bother me. I actually found a card of recipes that came with the dish and it recommends cornbread chili pie, so I went ahead and dumped the casserole in. I mean, I can't think of a reason why it would somehow be worse than chili pie or apple cobbler.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

chachu posted:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I know the unglazed stoneware discolours a lot anyway with a lot of use so it probably wouldn't bother me. I actually found a card of recipes that came with the dish and it recommends cornbread chili pie, so I went ahead and dumped the casserole in. I mean, I can't think of a reason why it would somehow be worse than chili pie or apple cobbler.

Oh well then yeah, go to town. I guess the only concern beyond that would be lingering odors, but if all else fails, try white vinegar.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to globally change the tenses in a document from Future to Past easily? My wife is in a grad class and they made all of the students change the first draft of their documents to future tense because their projects weren't done yet. Now that the projects are done, their making them change back to past tense.

She can't just revert because there were edits made in the interim.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a way to globally change the tenses in a document from Future to Past easily? My wife is in a grad class and they made all of the students change the first draft of their documents to future tense because their projects weren't done yet. Now that the projects are done, their making them change back to past tense.

No. She should woman up and do it properly. It's not like an automatic one would even work well.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Aphasian posted:

I don't know of one beyond search and replace, which be a huge pain in the rear end, but please tell your wife I think that is some bullshit and her professors are jerks.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thanks. I was pretty sure the answer was no, since English is a tricky bitch, but hope springs eternal. Now to fetch her a glass of wine and a sympathetic hug. Only ~50 pages to go...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I need a large, loud countdown timer for tournaments I'm running. It needs to be large enough for people to see from across the room, and loud enough for people to be able to hear over lots of conversation. What's the best, cheapest solution for this? Searches on eBay and Amazon and all that have only led me to massive $500 clocks.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

BJPaskoff posted:

I need a large, loud countdown timer for tournaments I'm running. It needs to be large enough for people to see from across the room, and loud enough for people to be able to hear over lots of conversation. What's the best, cheapest solution for this? Searches on eBay and Amazon and all that have only led me to massive $500 clocks.

Would it be possible to hook a laptop up to a TV? Because then you could do the clock fullscreen and make the sound effects pretty much anything you want.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

skype and windows 7 is annoying as gently caress how do I stop the orange taskbar notifications from showing up every time some one sends me a message in skype or when a firefox download stops?

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Slashie posted:

Would it be possible to hook a laptop up to a TV? Because then you could do the clock fullscreen and make the sound effects pretty much anything you want.

this^ plus laptop on a high spot plus a speaker or two, loud AND visible. Zero dollars spent!

LAN parties? :kiddo:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Tangra posted:

LAN parties? :kiddo:

Aggro Crag? :kiddo:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Slashie posted:

This is what the poker tournaments around here do.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I live in a normal sized apartment that was built in the past 2 years. Its about 25 degrees outside right now. My roommate likes to set the thermostat at 69F. Is this a normal temperature? I find myself waking up shivering when he does this. I prefer it at 70 or 71 and upping it a degree or two makes a world of difference for some reason.

I know its a highly variable and opinion based question, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if 69F is a reasonable/average temperature and I'm just being a pussy.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a tumblr blog or something that just lists the body/kill counts of fictional characters? I'm curious to see the ridiculous >1,000 kills Sam Fisher has gotten in all the games if all enemies are taken out (excepting those that spawn indefinitely or would cause a mission or objective failure). Or Dexter Morgan.

"If I don't stop them, thousands will die." (Proceeds to kill thousands in an effort to stop "them".)

If not, there may be another website I can set up and promptly abandon.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I live in a normal sized apartment that was built in the past 2 years. Its about 25 degrees outside right now. My roommate likes to set the thermostat at 69F. Is this a normal temperature? I find myself waking up shivering when he does this. I prefer it at 70 or 71 and upping it a degree or two makes a world of difference for some reason.

I know its a highly variable and opinion based question, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if 69F is a reasonable/average temperature and I'm just being a pussy.

I think my power company suggests 68° for the heater and 74° for the a/c? I do 71° and find it perfect though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a tumblr blog or something that just lists the body/kill counts of fictional characters? I'm curious to see the ridiculous >1,000 kills Sam Fisher has gotten in all the games if all enemies are taken out (excepting those that spawn indefinitely or would cause a mission or objective failure). Or Dexter Morgan.

"If I don't stop them, thousands will die." (Proceeds to kill thousands in an effort to stop "them".)

If not, there may be another website I can set up and promptly abandon.

http://www.moviebodycounts.com/Top-Movies.htm

They only seem to count deaths that are visible onscreen so sci-fi movies where the Earth gets blown up don't ruin the curve with a score in the billions.

I'm not sure how a videogame chart would work because there are lots of games where you can kill as many enemies as you care to put in the time for, they'll just keep spawning forever (and not just arcade shooters either, the CoD games are notorious for this).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 8, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Do you guys pay directly for heating/cooling costs or is it just automatically in your rent? If you do pay for it its wise to keep it down - in my home we put the thermostat to 68 for evening and overnight and have it go down to 64 during the day when I'm at work, my wife is doing errands, and the kids are at school. It saves a decent chunk of change on the gas bill.

But yeah, putting the thermostat to 67-69 or so during the winter is perfectly common.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

69! You guys need to man up. Mine is at 62.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Jeffrey Colon posted:

This is a common argument in my household. I like the house to be cooler, my husband likes it warmer. I'll tell you what I told him-- it's way easier for you to put on a sweater or a pair of socks or whatever than it is for me to cool off. There's only so many layers I can remove.