Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Good to hear. $387 for an i7 2600K that I won't upgrade for another few years sounds good to me. I think I paid maybe around $300 for my E6600 and that has been working just great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm kind of annoyed that Francois Piednoel from Intel still hasn't shared either code or specs for the transcoding ASIC with the x264 developers, like he said he would.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are these going to be the prices in the US as well or will they be cheaper? I'm thinking they would be cheaper because we don't have a VAT over here. I'm still hoping against hope for a i5-2500K for ~$200.

I also have a question about the K edition processors. You can only overclock them by increasing the multiplier right? If that's the case wouldn't you run into a bottleneck at the base clock since that cannot be increased at all? I just figured a 4 or 5GHz overclock would have a bottleneck at the unchanged base clock speed or am I getting mixed up with the older Core 2 chips and their external FSB?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

spasticColon posted:

Are these going to be the prices in the US as well or will they be cheaper? I'm thinking they would be cheaper because we don't have a VAT over here. I'm still hoping against hope for a i5-2500K for ~$200.

I also have a question about the K edition processors. You can only overclock them by increasing the multiplier right? If that's the case wouldn't you run into a bottleneck at the base clock since that cannot be increased at all? I just figured a 4 or 5GHz overclock would have a bottleneck at the unchanged base clock speed or am I getting mixed up with the older Core 2 chips and their external FSB?
baseclock doesn't actually carry data, its just to sync the various clocks to. memory bus to RAM (controller is on die), PCI-E to add-in cards (and/or on-die GPU), DMI to southbridge (link is onboard), etc.
$200 even is a bit low, Id like to see $210 but $220-250 is more likely.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I understand it now I think, thanks for clearing that up. $250 would be acceptable if I can get a 5GHz overclock on air cooling.:pcgaming:

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Is this a normal Intel release (which means that the budget parts come last)? Because I'm shopping a laptop for my spouse at $500-600 pricepoint. In Finland, that money gets you a dual-core Celeron or AMD M320 and an integrated chipset. If we wait for a couple of months, would SB or the AMD equivalent be available at that price point (a full-sized laptop)? She's happy as long as she can watch SD resolution Flash video and DVD's but if it really performs that much better we might wait until next year.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Not much info. on BD yet. "1 module = approx. 80% the performance of 2 cores" and that they're taking a "speed demon" (P4-esque) approach is about all we have still. Unless AMD screws up it should be a decent chip, but late. Depending on which rumors you look at its either coming late Q2 or late Q3 2011.

That's disappointing. We're getting a yearly $1000 stipend from work now the first of every year to spend on computer parts for our home PCs. I was hoping to do an upgrade soon.

I hope AMD gets to the market quickly so I can make a decision I won't regret...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
And here's an article with the supposed launch pricing in US$. It's consistent with the Swedish prices we saw earlier, but lower, and in-line with current Lynnfield pricing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
$294 for the i7-2600 seems like the perfect landing spot

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
By the time the 2600K reaches retail channels it will be $500+ I'd wager (nothing)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is hyperthreading really necessary for games? If not, I'll be getting the 2500K if is indeed $216.

Edit: grammar

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 27, 2010

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No, not really. Most games don't even use more then two physical cores. Engines even have issues: Source has wildly swinging levels of compatibility (L4D2 works great, TF2 still doesn't work properly). Starcraft 2 tops out at 2 cores. GTA4 would be the best example as its heavy in its multicore requirements.

I'd want the proc for its sweet, sweet L3 cache.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Raptop posted:

Sandybridge definately supports OpenCL
From what I've read, their OpenCL implementation will use SSE and AVX, not the integrated GPU.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

incoherent posted:

No, not really. Most games don't even use more then two physical cores. Engines even have issues: Source has wildly swinging levels of compatibility (L4D2 works great, TF2 still doesn't work properly). Starcraft 2 tops out at 2 cores. GTA4 would be the best example as its heavy in its multicore requirements.

I'd want the proc for its sweet, sweet L3 cache.
I have found a lot of newer games, like Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 do run noticeably faster on quad core machines vs. dual core.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

You Am I posted:

I have found a lot of newer games, like Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 do run noticeably faster on quad core machines vs. dual core.

Depending on how smart the scheduler is, likely boring system services and such are eating up other cores whilst the game abuses its chosen cores. On *nix I know you can force the kernel to a specific CPU/core leaving the others for your delicious user apps.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently considering a hardware upgrade, since my 8 year old Opteron is starting to show its age. I'm considering an i7-980x for one good reason (I could really use the two extra cores for simulations I run) and one bad one (I'm tired of my work PC being faster than my home PC, the 980x would solve this issue).

If I want the extra cores, is there any reason to wait for Sandy Bridge? For cost comparisons, is it safe to say that performance of the i7-2600 is going to be comparable to the i7-875?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think it was on tech report, but they were showing the new SB i5s as fast as the 980x in most all situation except where it could use the extra cores and hyper threading, so I would wager a bet that the i7 ones will be just as insane and without the price premium that the 6 core beasts have.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Alereon posted:

And here's an article with the supposed launch pricing in US$. It's consistent with the Swedish prices we saw earlier, but lower, and in-line with current Lynnfield pricing.

These are wholesale prices correct? One would assume they would be much more expensive on the retail level or no?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

demonachizer posted:

These are wholesale prices correct? One would assume they would be much more expensive on the retail level or no?
Those prices are at the retail level as far as I understand. At least the Swedish site that was referred to earlier was a retailer.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Marinmo posted:

Those prices are at the retail level as far as I understand. At least the Swedish site that was referred to earlier was a retailer.

Well it says wholesale on the link that is why I am wondering.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

demonachizer posted:

They are wholesale, but that's the price you pay for CPUs if you shop somewhere like Newegg that doesn't add a ridiculous markup.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Nodoze posted:

$294 for the i7-2600 seems like the perfect landing spot

How much do you guys think a motherboard with support for this will go? I don't need/want crossfire/SLI.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SRQ posted:

How much do you guys think a motherboard with support for this will go? I don't need/want crossfire/SLI.

Somewhere around $200 I would imagine. Asus and Gigabyte for example are pretty predictable about stratifying their product lines. You will have a base model, barebones (I don't remember if the 6 series chipsets have USB 3.0; if they don't, the base model boards may not give you a NEC controller or something) that will lack RAID, maybe cut down on the number of ports. Then you'll have a midrange model, which is usually the sweet spot.

Then there'll be some high-end, fuckoff board with 4 Ethernet jacks, two BIOSs (or two EFI ROMs), BlueTooth, 3 actual x16 slots (48 motherfucking lanes), integrated RAID, FireWire, and tons of poo poo.

Just don't skimp on the mobo, whatever you do. Asus and Gigabyte are safe bets for sure.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
I'm planning on buying a 2500K when it's released on January 5th, just in time for the big early January holiday sales season. I wonder what are the chances that I'll end up regretting not getting Bulldozer over this. Say, if Bulldozer is released in June 2011 and has 30%+ more price/performance.

This Q6600 has been sitting in my PC for 3 years now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My planned build is a 2500K & GA-P67A-UD4. I'm hoping to get both for <$450. Already have the rest of the build on the way or being recycled.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ilkhan posted:

My planned build is a 2500K & GA-P67A-UD4. I'm hoping to get both for <$450. Already have the rest of the build on the way or being recycled.

Should I buy DDR3 now or wait until January?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I'm planning on buying a 2500K when it's released on January 5th, just in time for the big early January holiday sales season. I wonder what are the chances that I'll end up regretting not getting Bulldozer over this. Say, if Bulldozer is released in June 2011 and has 30%+ more price/performance.

This Q6600 has been sitting in my PC for 3 years now.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20101105133510_AMD_to_Start_Production_of_Desktop_Bulldozer_Microprocessors_in_April.html posted:

Production candidates should be ready by February and the initial production of the company's first desktop microprocessors powered by the long-awaited Bulldozer micro-architecture is scheduled to start in April next year. Probably, the launch of the chip will occur around the same timeframe.
Now first, that is a site I've never ran across before, so I don't know how much you should trust it - I got there by google. I seem to remember that Q3 2011 was mentioned here as a release date for bulldozer but I may be mistaken. Second, no one seems to have any idea how Bulldozer will perform, while SB already has been tested to a certain performance. Perhaps Bulldozer will smash it to bits but that would be very surprising to me at least. I don't really see it being worth the wait (probably "famous last words" here), especially since thinking like that would make you never buy anything technology-related.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

movax posted:

Id been watching the RAM (G.Skill ECO DDR3-1600/7 1.35v) for months, finally dropped by $10 and jumped.
Prices are dropping, it may be better to wait unless you find a great deal.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I doubt you'll end up regretting Sandy Bridge over Bulldozer. Bulldozer brings 8 cores to the table, but it's unlikely that AMD can close its clock-for-clock, core-for-core performance gap with Intel, and Intel's Turbo Mode is extremely effective at making highly-threaded CPUs very fast with weakly threaded workloads. It's certainly possible that AMD could execute shockingly well and beat Sandy Bridge in terms of CPU performance, but I doubt it.

movax posted:

Wait, prices are still dropping pretty steadily and will be for the near future.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Combat Pretzel posted:

From what I've read, their OpenCL implementation will use SSE and AVX, not the integrated GPU.

What you read is bullshit; it really does use the Gen core. I wrote that after sitting through a technical presentation by the compiler team working on it

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Supposedly AMD may be able to get single threaded core i7 levels of performance but they won't meet or beat SB. Multi threaded may still be as good or better but even that is just rumor mill gristle at this point. What AMD may be able to offer is better bang for the buck, but for straight performance Intel is almost certain to have the lead.

Personally I like AMD since I tend to shoot for bang for the buck, but I'll probably get SB too. ~$215 for the K version of SB i5 will offer some pretty bad rear end bang for the buck if you can get anywhere near 5Ghz like the one Intel has been showing off.

I would think you could get a "budget" SB mobo for around $140 at launch, the OC'er ones, sure they'll cost around $200 easy. At least it'll still take DDR3, and with the K versions you just use the multiplier to OC, so I can technically save some money there. Jumped at the 8GB DDR3 1333 for $90 a while back. I don't think it'll get much lower than that really. e: yea its gone up to $100 for the same kit. It might drop down again but I doubt it.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 8, 2010

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Alereon posted:

Wait, prices are still dropping pretty steadily and will be for the near future.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where? I've seen limited 2gb pairs for $50 on sale in the past week or so, but I could have swore that this was the normal price this summer. Most I see is still in the $70-80 range for 4gb. Even the deal I got from newegg went up to $60 the next week.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Ryokurin posted:

Maybe I'm missing it, but where? I've seen limited 2gb pairs for $50 on sale in the past week or so, but I could have swore that this was the normal price this summer. Most I see is still in the $70-80 range for 4gb. Even the deal I got from newegg went up to $60 the next week.
The DDR3 DRAM market is in a steady price decline that isn't expected to end until the first or even second quarter of 2011. Granted wholesale DRAM price isn't the price you pay at Newegg, but they're related like the price of gas is to the price of oil. In the first half of the year the wholesale price of 2GB of DDR3 was $46.50, by the beginning of November it was down to $25, and the price is expected to fall to $20 by the end of the year.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

The DDR3 DRAM market is in a steady price decline that isn't expected to end until the first or even second quarter of 2011. Granted wholesale DRAM price isn't the price you pay at Newegg, but they're related like the price of gas is to the price of oil. In the first half of the year the wholesale price of 2GB of DDR3 was $46.50, by the beginning of November it was down to $25, and the price is expected to fall to $20 by the end of the year.

Awesome. The reason I inquired was that I didn't want to miss the price valley before DDR3 prices started climbing again. Guess I'll order that kit come January along with new mobo and CPU.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is a special motherboard going to be required to utilize the K edition processors? A mid-range board for around $100 would be nice and I don't need SLI, Crossfire, RAID, or USB 3.0 just the ability to utilize the unlocked multiplier. And two accessible PCI slots for my wireless card and sound card which probably means a full ATX board since my video card has a two-slot cooler. One more question, will that Cooler Master Hyper 212P work with the new socket 1155?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spasticColon posted:

Is a special motherboard going to be required to utilize the K edition processors? A mid-range board for around $100 would be nice and I don't need SLI, Crossfire, RAID, or USB 3.0 just the ability to utilize the unlocked multiplier. And two accessible PCI slots for my wireless card and sound card which probably means a full ATX board since my video card has a two-slot cooler. One more question, will that Cooler Master Hyper 212P work with the new socket 1155?

Likely not, but you'll want one that lets you have granular control of voltages and the FSB along with ratio splits and all that other fun stuff. Just wait until they're out for a bit and see what people recommend because in addition to those features some boards will be better suited for going above spec ratings.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The coolers do share the same mounting holes so should fit.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ryokurin posted:

Newegg is showing 1x4GB chips fro 50 bucks a pop most with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ICE&PageSize=20

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Blargh. If I want the variants with bigger cache, I also get hyperthreading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Blargh. If I want the variants with bigger cache, I also get hyperthreading.

Yeah I'm not sold on HT, especially for gaming, but you can usually switch it off in BIOS.