Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

eating only apples posted:

Anyone watching Macbeth? It's good so far. Patrick Steward is bloody good.

Saw this production on the stage too, and this is a bloody great adaptation. I hope it's on iPlayer so I can recommend it to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Noreaus posted:

I hope it's on iPlayer so I can recommend it to people.

I hope it's on iPlayer because the only telly in my household has been playing XFactor for the past two hours, and every time I so much as look at the remote control I get sat upon and threatened with extreme violence by my mother and sister.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Irisi posted:

I hope it's on iPlayer because the only telly in my household has been playing XFactor for the past two hours, and every time I so much as look at the remote control I get sat upon and threatened with extreme violence by my mother and sister.

You need another telly.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Gram-O-Phone posted:

You need another telly.

I'm normally in my own house, where X-Factor is banned, but I was helping decorate at my mums' all today. You would think that such a selfless act would have meant we could have compromised and maybe watched Sherlock on BBC3 but noooo, we absolutely needed to watch 5 excitable Justin Bieber clones, a grubby-looking bloke and a pretty lassie dressed up like a giant Quality Street chocolate sing badly at Simon Cowell.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just a few more years until those shows run out of steam, a few more years!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You/we are all in luck, it is listed as coming soon.

Rank Bajin
Mar 21, 2005

Eureka! In a few minutes I shall be free of the pull of the earth's gravity.

Noreaus posted:

I hope it's on iPlayer so I can recommend it to people.

Coming Soon!

Edit: pffffffff

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just saw a trailer for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

:aaaaa:

how did I not know about this

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

X Factor and BGT are contracted to run until 2013.

So, uh, a few more than a few more years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some Strange Flea posted:

X Factor and BGT are contracted to run until 2013.

So, uh, a few more than a few more years.

The term few to me means more than two, it differs from person to person.

I have my fingers crossed one day they let in a bloody psychotic thinking it is an act until he hacks off one of the judges heads.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or this could happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKOJnMh8Zqo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oben posted:

I think the wheelchair girl is actually disabled, so whatever she can do her character can do.

I've met her, she's definitely disabled. Or really committed to her character!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wickles posted:

Or this could happen

ahahaha oh my god this is glorious.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

wickles posted:

Or this could happen

Incredible.

Edit: content! I just marathoned The Trip, fantastic show, you have until tomorrow evening to see it on iPlayer.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

wickles posted:

Or this could happen

They should have sent a poet. With a assault rifle.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Is Any Human Heart worth watching? The write up sounds pretty interesting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

cloudchamber posted:

Is Any Human Heart worth watching? The write up sounds pretty interesting.

It really is. The last episode aired last night, and the way it resolved itself left a lump in my throat. I wouldn't say it was perfect - I thought sometimes it became a little melodramatically overblown - but every episode was really engaging, and the acting was pretty brilliant across the board.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Take Me Out is hideous programming, but so compulsive. I caught half a round of last saturday's one, and loved how the girls turned their lights out on a not that bad looking guy based on his face alone (even though you can take yourself out of the game later on, no problems), and then about 5 went off when they showed him driving a car that wasn't a sports car.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Perfect Element posted:

It really is. The last episode aired last night, and the way it resolved itself left a lump in my throat. I wouldn't say it was perfect - I thought sometimes it became a little melodramatically overblown - but every episode was really engaging, and the acting was pretty brilliant across the board.

I'll second that, I don't usually watch those kind of dramas but Any Human Heart was very engaging. Pretty depressing at times, but Jim Broadbent is excellent in it.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

eating only apples posted:

I just saw a trailer for Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

:aaaaa:

how did I not know about this

I hadn't heard about it before either but it looks good - press release :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
does the new bbc comedy ident with charlie brooker imply he's got a new show airing soon?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The Perfect Element posted:

does the new bbc comedy ident with charlie brooker imply he's got a new show airing soon?

He's got a new show called How TV Ruined My Life coming out soon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've invented a history comedy panel show in my head and both team captains are Rory McGrath and Tony Robinson (Terry Pratchett also as one of the rotating team members) but I cannot figuire out a good host for it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've invented a history comedy panel show in my head and both team captains are Rory McGrath and Tony Robinson (Terry Pratchett also as one of the rotating team members) but I cannot figuire out a good host for it.

Marcus Brigstock?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Giles Brandreth

Or as an out-there suggestion, Brian Sewell

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Catching up on the weekend's telly in a post-ATP haze. Is it wrong that Take me out is first on the list?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Brian Blessed.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

God, ITV player is pretty much unwatchable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

Brian Blessed.

Okay, all the suggestions have been pretty great but I can just imagine the joy Brian Blessed would get choosing to dress up as Historical characters every week.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Okay, all the suggestions have been pretty great but I can just imagine the joy Brian Blessed would get choosing to dress up as Historical characters every week.

As if he needs an excuse!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SeanBeansShako posted:

I know you're aching for it, so go on - let's have the horrible title pun.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

David Mitchell, I think he has a history degree but I may have dreamed that.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

Junkenstein posted:

God, ITV player is pretty much unwatchable.

I haven't used it in a while but the STV player used to work better and had a lot of the same programmes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

David Mitchell, I think he has a history degree but I may have dreamed that.

I think he mentioned it on QI once.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Richard Herring did History at Oxford!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Royality posted:

And he got a 2:1

He's not that great on panel shows though. I think he needs to really know his co-presenters and not have to self censor to really give his best.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Herring's a weird one in that he's really best when he does his podcasts. He's great as the unruly bully next to level headed Andrew Collins, and I love the self referential wankery of AIOTM, but I've always thought his standup is fine at best. And he's not really cut out for the panel show format. It's hard to do great soundbites and one liners when lot of what you do revolves around stuff that isn't broadcastable, or recurring jokes that take several separate set ups to really get going.

Mind you, him and Andrew are good on six music as well but that's mostly due to having genius set pieces like the recurring poetry smackdowns featuring stuff they wrote when they were teenagers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCNZF5Q5DBE

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

Royality posted:

With Al Murray apparently (wiki). It's scary how inbred comedy is.

Also it's kind of been done with Annually Retentive but I don't know if that counts.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If Janine hasn't killed a baby by new years, Eastenders has dropped the ball

Also, the fertility rate in Albert Square seems to rival most African countries at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

If Janine hasn't killed a baby by new years, Eastenders has dropped the ball

Also, the fertility rate in Albert Square seems to rival most African countries at the moment

This year promises to be an epic clusterfuck, they have so many people about to ruin their lives.