Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Hey skate thread, let me know if any of y'all find wheels under 48mm, tia.
(Brian Lotti styleeeee.)

e;snype pics.

Hurm. fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

iRoNgHosT posted:

So my bro had a new video out on the Huf website, and I know you guys liked his stuff before, so here he is, doing more of what I could never do. Then again, his wrists are so hosed he could never play guitar like me. Sibling rivalry at it's best?

http://blog.hufsf.com/?p=1293
Your brother is seriously very, very, very good. Here's hoping he breaks out big.

WHATEVS SISTER fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 22, 2010

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

maxmars posted:

Looks ace.. What kind of board is that? Also, those look like reverse kp trucks but with square hangers. Is it the illicit son of a Bennet and a Randal?

I don't know the model or anything other than approximate specs, and that it has full radial concave and a little bit of rocker. Trucks are Radikal Talons on Randal baseplates, wheels are Orangatang

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This thread needs life! Just cause its getting cold doesn't mean you can stop skating!
I'm back on board after about a month because of being diagnosed with diabetes, and then having a severe blackage in my small intestine. I'm finally starting to get my energy back and I'm back to doing what I love.

I'm really stoked to be working with an internet acquaintance to design a small topmount downhill/freeride board. We are both fans of smaller topmounts and have similar tastes, and he knows a small builder he helps design for. We've had a few discussions and now have the rough specs we want, with every aspect of the board sized to fit us both perfectly =D
I hope to soon have a board in my hands that I helped to create, and will fit my style and stance perfectly... its going to be a great feeling.

Also really stoked that Surf Rodz is once again putting out a remarkable product: a precision (CNC machined billet aluminum) conventional geometry truck with space-able axles. They took the longboard market by storm with precision reverse-kingpin trucks priced at around $200, which is very affordable for CNC'd trucks.
The first big innovation is the axle system: Surf Rodz use a 10mm removable axle that threads into the hanger itself with heli-coil insert, and then a set-screw to lock it in. The system allows them to use different length axles, and simple steel spacers to change the effective length of the trucks. The reverse-kingpin trucks can be spaced out either 10mm or 20mm wider than the actual hanger, and the new conventional geometry INDeeSZ (name is kinda lame) will be space-able up to 40mm, in 10mm increments. Hangers will be 127mm (space-able to 137, 147, 157, and 167mm) and 177mm (space-able to 187, 197, 207, and 217mm)
The second, and biggest innovation on the conventional geometry "INDeeSZ" is that the hanger and pivot (and bushing seat) are actually separate pieces, and screw together. This means that if a hanger is worn down from grinding, bent from huge airs, or otherwise damaged, you can simply buy a new one, screw it on to the pivot piece and then screw your existing axles in. It also means that with one set of trucks, and two sets of hangers, you can have a single set of trucks that can be changed from 127mm, to 217mm (in 10mm increments) in a matter of moments.
Its been made more for the longboard market, but I could see this crossing over into vert with some people
Heres some pictures:

The website is https://www.surf-rodz-trucks.com if anyone is interested in looking into them more.
Surf Rodz puts out some quality products and the prices are phenomenally low for CNC trucks

Theres one more update from the longboard world for you all... happy skating

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 2, 2010

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Hey thanks for the link, I am shopping for a new board, will look into that.
As for not stopping skating, very few moments compare with skating during lunchtime in autumn. I just cruise around whenever it doesn't rain and it's a sight to behold.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

maxmars posted:

whenever it doesn't rain

When is that?

suadeo
Aug 3, 2007

Haven't skated in like 9 years. I just picked up a blank board with some blank wheels and thunder trucks from CCS. Anyone else who just started getting back into skating again feel a bit like an embarrassed old timer? Feels good just skating an empty parking lot again though.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
My dad is 46 now but used to skateboard when he was a teenager. He took me out to Niagara Falls and I brought my longboard along for some scenic riding. He decided to take it out for a run, and tore poo poo up. I was kinda blown away.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

suadeo posted:

Haven't skated in like 9 years. I just picked up a blank board with some blank wheels and thunder trucks from CCS. Anyone else who just started getting back into skating again feel a bit like an embarrassed old timer? Feels good just skating an empty parking lot again though.

I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago. I skated a lot growing up then from 18-22 kind of off and on and then no skating at all until I was 31 and started up again.

I started back in an empty parking lot too getting the basics back. It took a couple of months of soreness but now I get out as much as I can. It really helped that a nice cement park was finished with in 15 minutes of my house about a year ago. I go there as much as my schedule allows.

At this point I'm better than I ever was as a youngster and I feel like a retard for not skating all the years I didn't. It is really great for the body and mind.

edit: So keep at it, it will get easier!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 3, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago. I skated a lot growing up then from 18-22 kind of off and on and then no skating at all until I was 31 and started up again.

I started back in an empty parking lot too getting the basics back. It took a couple of months of soreness but now I get out as much as I can. It really helped that a nice cement park was finished with in 15 minutes of my house about a year ago. I go there as much as my schedule allows.

At this point I'm better than I ever was as a youngster and I feel like a retard for not skating all the years I didn't. It is really great for the body and mind.

edit: So keep at it, it will get easier!

Same situation here but I picked it back up last year at 26. When I stopped skating at 20 all I could do were sloppy varials. Now my varial flips actually pop and I catch them and I can hit hit tricks at speed that I could never do when I was younger.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

suadeo posted:

25yo here who started only 3 months ago, I never skated as a kid either. I fall over all the time and feel like a fool but when you start rippin poo poo up you feel AWESOME

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

iCaPpY posted:

25yo here who started only 3 months ago, I never skated as a kid either. I fall over all the time and feel like a fool but when you start rippin poo poo up you feel AWESOME

Almost the same, I started in January and turned 25 in April. I've known skaters my whole life, been around skate culture forever, just never got my feet on a board outside of one or two friend's boards in high school. I used to be such a pussy about getting hurt back then :doh:

Skating is the funnest goddamn thing in the world.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Just gonna put this out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkclYFNBbpA

drat 6 year olds!

I've got a crunch weekend for uni work right now, but after Monday morning I have a whole week to skate. gently caress, yes! :D

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Mincher posted:

Just gonna put this out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkclYFNBbpA

drat 6 year olds!

Holy poo poo, it's like the board is glued to his feet.

You guys are really making me wish I had a non-long skateboard at uni.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It is scientifically proven that if you skate to Kid Cudi you will, in fact, pop the hugest varial flips you've ever done.

My Glif just shipped so hopefully I can start getting some footage with my i4 soon.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

Whalley posted:

Skating is the funnest goddamn thing in the world.

Agree

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Being able to do 180 shove-its at full speed is my new Favorite Thing A Parking Garage Let Me Learn.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
A couple of months ago skatefriendly sent me a bunch of boards to try out with my friends:

Gripped and ready to go

He included grip too which is really awesome, definitely a steal for decks at that price. Usually I'm pretty skeptical with blank boards but the quality on these are awesome. The first thing I noticed when I stepped on the board was how stiff it was. (Bucket Joneses: it is scientifically proven that if you skate a skatefriendly you will, in fact, learn huge 3 flips.)

I usually ride DLX boards or Studio's but I'd definitely get these boards again. The homies were really psyched on the boards and the responses were all positive. The only gripe is that they don't make a board in my size 8.125!

We filmed a small edit with the boards recently, it'll be up as soon as one of us decides to edit it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I've seen that kid down in Venice before. Kid rips.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The season is dying but I've been riding garages with a few guys consistently. Learned how to powerslide tonight! Freeriding becomes more fun everyday.

Landyachtz just picked up a new rider and he owns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7Wl0K-AqY

Really wish I lived near those hills.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Landy getting K-Mart from Rayne is a big deal to them crazy Vancouver skaters. He is one of the best out there for crazy freeride and is amazing a tech sliding too.

I leave for Florida for 2 weeks in a few hours, bringing my slalom board with me for some flat land pumping. Can't wait for the new deck, it ships once I get home

nothing awful
Mar 14, 2009

Sirkus posted:

A couple of months ago skatefriendly sent me a bunch of boards to try out with my friends:

Gripped and ready to go

He included grip too which is really awesome, definitely a steal for decks at that price. Usually I'm pretty skeptical with blank boards but the quality on these are awesome. The first thing I noticed when I stepped on the board was how stiff it was. (Bucket Joneses: it is scientifically proven that if you skate a skatefriendly you will, in fact, learn huge 3 flips.)

I usually ride DLX boards or Studio's but I'd definitely get these boards again. The homies were really psyched on the boards and the responses were all positive. The only gripe is that they don't make a board in my size 8.125!

We filmed a small edit with the boards recently, it'll be up as soon as one of us decides to edit it.

Wow, wasn't expecting this :blush:. I'm so stoked you guys like the decks so much, I'll look into getting 8.125's for the next batch and maybe a design not so minimalistic if i can find a good artist. Thanks for putting a good word in for me. I can't wait to see the new footage, if its anything like your past montages it'll be very fun to watch.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
My newest desire - the 32" Mini Maestro pump deck. I love my Mermaid but I definitely need something a bit more compact for traveling.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you're looking for a smaller board for pumping you might want to just go with a slalom board. Similar setup, but you just need to pump a bit quicker due to the smaller wheelbase.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

If you're looking for a smaller board for pumping you might want to just go with a slalom board. Similar setup, but you just need to pump a bit quicker due to the smaller wheelbase.

faster pumps = lower efficiency, smaller wheelbase = higher deck = lower efficiency. No thx

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RobotEmpire posted:

My newest desire - the 32" Mini Maestro pump deck. I love my Mermaid but I definitely need something a bit more compact for traveling.

Now that's an interesting board, I love minis!

Just got myself this Gravity LB 33":

..for the very same reason (plus the LBL Humu was "confiscated" by my kids). I put there Randals 150, which I never rode before.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I love minis. I want to buy myself a Ceviche for kicking around the 'hood.

It's been around for a while now and it's kind of pricey but I love every second I've ever been on one. Perfect for doing everything I can't on my go fast deck.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I love the ceviche, I am hoping to find someone willing to swap my dervish for one.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Finally a sunny day!

.. You can always find something unexpected in your neighborhood.

Click here for the full 2048x1530 image.

What do you call the metallic dude with the Bertlemann?

"Art" .. Sorry I got nothing :/

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Is anyone here both kind of lovely and near the Köln/Düsseldorf area of Germany? One of my mates and I took up skating (again) a couple months ago and he got a job in Germany starting Feb, wants to keep skating but doesn't know anyone or the area.

I figure it's probably a long shot but goons.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Slap's 'One In A Million' has been running for about a week and so far it's been awesome: http://www.slapmagazine.com/tag/one-in-a-million-2010

They pick a handful of up-and-comers, bring them to SF and spend the week skating. The dude that does best wins a spot on the flow team of a bunch of different companies. This year has a particularly great reality-show drama vibe to it thanks to one of the skaters, Forrest Edwards, being a complete rear end in a top hat (but an amazing skater). The last two episodes also feature one of the gnarliest hill-bombs ever.

Here's what's up so far:

Episode 1: Introducing the skaters.
Episode 2: Stair session
Episode 3: Gaps / rails / stairs / hills!
Episode 4: Rail / bumb session. Day 1 review.
Episode 5: Tranny spot / crazy hill-bomb cliffhanger.
Episode 6: Hill-bomb aftermath / downtown session.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Tenterhooks posted:

Slap's 'One In A Million' has been running for about a week and so far it's been awesome: http://www.slapmagazine.com/tag/one-in-a-million-2010

They pick a handful of up-and-comers, bring them to SF and spend the week skating. The dude that does best wins a spot on the flow team of a bunch of different companies. This year has a particularly great reality-show drama vibe to it thanks to one of the skaters, Forrest Edwards, being a complete rear end in a top hat (but an amazing skater). The last two episodes also feature one of the gnarliest hill-bombs ever.

Here's what's up so far:

Episode 1: Introducing the skaters.
Episode 2: Stair session
Episode 3: Gaps / rails / stairs / hills!
Episode 4: Rail / bumb session. Day 1 review.
Episode 5: Tranny spot / crazy hill-bomb cliffhanger.
Episode 6: Hill-bomb aftermath / downtown session.

That was really fun to watch but that last hill is nothing, it's only gnarly because they're all loving idiots without a lid.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Tenterhooks posted:

This year has a particularly great reality-show drama vibe to it thanks to one of the skaters, Forrest Edwards, being a complete rear end in a top hat (but an amazing skater).

I was a little unsure about the amazing skater bit but this episode today really cemented it. Definitely someone you could love to hate but respect.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
His sponsor-me video is also ridiculous. Last few tricks in particular are nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxMJHAwtyo

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

Tenterhooks posted:

His sponsor-me video is also ridiculous. Last few tricks in particular are nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxMJHAwtyo

Stairs, rail, stairs, rail, stairs... gently caress that and gently caress him.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cirofren posted:

I was a little unsure about the amazing skater bit but this episode today really cemented it. Definitely someone you could love to hate but respect.

:smug: My go to tricks aren't gay :durr:
So can anyone name any notable skaters who are competitive assholes?
gently caress that guy.

edit: Maybe Steve Rocco?

Forrest doesn't skate transition? What is he even doing in this? That's pretty lame. It seems like that should be some sort of requirement as long as we are making skateboard competition reality shows.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

:smug: My go to tricks aren't gay :durr:
So can anyone name any notable skaters who are competitive assholes?
gently caress that guy.

edit: Maybe Steve Rocco?

Forrest doesn't skate transition? What is he even doing in this? That's pretty lame. It seems like that should be some sort of requirement as long as we are making skateboard competition reality shows.

What about Mango? He doesn't seem to skate anything.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Sirkus posted:

What about Mango? He doesn't seem to skate anything.

He seems to skate things. I kind of like him actually. I like that style some people have where it looks like they are about to bust rear end on every trick.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

God, gently caress Forrest. He's such an unabashed rear end in a top hat and is the face of every rear end in a top hat skater I see. I'm pulling for Reuben or John; Reuben's got a good PR face and seems to just loving love skating, and John seems pretty chilled out. I can't help but like Mango because the little dweeby kids that tear poo poo up blow my mind, but dude needs more face time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
This poo poo is :monocle:
Interactive Tron Skate Ramp