Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Is the sponge thing in that Jeter fanfic supposed to be an allusion to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Mornacale posted:

Is the sponge thing in that Jeter fanfic supposed to be an allusion to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ?

Derek Jeter was offered $45 million (that's forty-five million guaranteed dollars on top of the $200 million or so he's earned already) for our sins.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning. They were talking about tonight's Cavs Heat game and Mike Golic said "the actual game is the least interesting part of this story."

I thought that summed up ESPN and sports journalism nicely.

he's right though

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Noel Murray of the AV Club wrote a pretty great article that came out today - Why does most modern sports broadcasting suck so hard?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/why-does-most-modern-sports-broadcasting-suck-so-h,48708/

quote:

One night this past summer, Bob Costas broadcast a baseball game on the MLB Network, with former Atlanta Braves all-star John Smoltz as his color commentator. Throughout the game, Smoltz used his iPad and his MLB At Bat app to keep tabs on the other games going on around the league, and at one point a confused Costas asked Smoltz what he was doing. Smoltz tried to explain that an iPad was like a big iPhone, so Costas picked up the iPad and held it up to his head like a phone, intending to illustrate how ridiculous modern technology is—and not, say, how a certain once-youthful and plugged-in sports broadcaster had become embarrassingly out-of-date.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That is a very good article. I didn't know they had Smoltz following the games on At Bat during a broadcast. If he was actually keeping up that's very cool, because that's exactly how a lot of us on the forum are also following the games. TV on, laptop open to mlb.tv, twitter on the phone. Even if it's just a product placement for both At Bat and the iPad, I definitely got that connection the way the author described it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Smoltz just got a hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. Not that he wasn't cool or whatever to begin with.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Smoltz just got a hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. Not that he wasn't cool or whatever to begin with.

He is really bad in the booth even if he's not a bad guy, but if he's trying like that it gives me hope he'll get better. David Cone wasn't good his first year and then he was awesome and then he was gone :(

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/08/sports-illustrateds-tom-verducci-slams-a-blogger-but-i-heartily-approve/

I wanted to be clever and make this a funny post but im too excited! Tom Verducci destroys Murray Chass. Repeatedly refers to him as a blogger. Very funny.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/08/sports-illustrateds-tom-verducci-slams-a-blogger-but-i-heartily-approve/

I wanted to be clever and make this a funny post but im too excited! Tom Verducci destroys Murray Chass. Repeatedly refers to him as a blogger. Very funny.

The best part is that a bunch of bloggers are now getting pissy about how Verducci dismissively calls Chass "the blogger" over and over because they don't get the joke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Larry Anderson was terrible his first like five years and the became great. Well. Good.

Color analysis is a difficult gig. It is hard for me to criticize all that much.

Edit

Referring to him as the Blogger is hilarious,

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2010

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Joe Posnanski eviscerates Murray Chass:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/13/blogger-ethics/

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Zeeman posted:

Joe Posnanski eviscerates Murray Chass:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/12/13/blogger-ethics/
"Lovely. Now, Chass was obviously emotional about Miller missing the Hall of Fame — it seems that before he was a New York based blogger he spent some time working in the mainstream media and covered Miller."

lmao, Joe Poz is so much fun

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Bill Simmons apparently went through his book for the paperback release and excised references to people who wrote negative reviews of his book. This includes writer Charles P Pierce and (apparently) the Free Darko bloggers.

He also started a public twitter feud with Pierce.

quote:

Hey CPP: took you out of TBOB cuz you trashed it without ever mentioning that you used to email me all the time until I told you to eff off.

quote:

I just thought it was dishonest. You came off like a spurned lover in that piece. But seriously, good luck with your red-hot career.

I'm not a person who rushes to talk poo poo on Simmons, but he comes off like a little baby here.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
the only person who's a bigger baby than Simmons is Heyman, who is hilariously thin-skinned when someone attacks him on twitter.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charles Pierce responds in a particularly terrible piece of writing.

What a horrible shtick this guy has.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Guess who wrote the ultimate in hyperbolic articles, claiming that Cliff Lee not signing with the Yankees is a bigger blow to New York than LeBron signing with Miami was for all his various suitors, presumably including Cleveland?

Ian O'Connor, leokitty preemptively wins the prize for guessing right

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quote:

Philadelphia pulled another Rocky Balboa and threw one of the most improbable punches in the history of the great American sport known as free agency.

*Marquee free agent signs in large market city for huge cash*

"WHAT AN IMPROBABLE PUNCH!"

edit: Wait what

quote:

Of the three free agents who signed deals in excess of $100 million this winter, two signed with the Red Sox, and the other jilted the Yankees like they haven't been jilted since Marilyn Monroe divorced Joe D.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 14, 2010

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Someone stop Ian O'Connor before he similes again

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ignoring the creepy 'Marilyn Monroe deserves to be boned by a True Yankee' subtext, 'jilted the Yankees like they haven't been jilted' is about the most awkward turn of phrase I've read in a while.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

toadee posted:

Ignoring the creepy 'Marilyn Monroe deserves to be boned by a True Yankee' subtext, 'jilted the Yankees like they haven't been jilted' is about the most awkward turn of phrase I've read in a while.

Ian O'Connor is a Bad Writer even as bad sportswriters go.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Lee of course would have been a good signing for the Yankees but nonstop hyperbole is coming out of asses across the area today, he's just following the trend.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Also who's the second free agent Boston signed for 100million+ ...?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

leokitty posted:

Also who's the second free agent Boston signed for 100million+ ...?

I assume he's referring to Adrian Gonzalez, neither a free agent nor extended yet.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I assume he's referring to Adrian Gonzalez, neither a free agent nor extended yet.

That still makes his statement wrong because then there'd be four deals.

God I hate him.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Tender Bender posted:

*Marquee free agent signs in large market city for huge cash*

"WHAT AN IMPROBABLE PUNCH!"

Every time a Philadelphia-related sports article references Rocky in some fashion, take a shot~~

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder how Heyman is going to reconcile this tweet with his bragging about #mysteryteam.

Jon Heyman posted:

hearing from multiple sources there is indeed #mysteryteam in on cliff lee. hear its not the #phillies, always a threat

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
phillies still not in on lee? not true, although they might try not to hesitate to enter the talks if signing him doesn't remain a possibility, which it's not. look for an announcement by before this weekday. #justinbieber

mystery team may add a second year if seventh year option is too short to avoid an extension. texas? thoughts? #freddiemercury #liveaid

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
how will lee signing affect AL east leverage w/canseco, who has lifetime .692 against francoeur? might affect #beltre deal if cashman budges. wrigley? #sweetarts

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In the grand scheme of things, the Cardinals trading Brendan Ryan is irrelevant. Doesn't stop columnists like Jeff Gordon from writing dumb things, though!

Jeff Gordon posted:

Last year’s Cards lacked grit, focus, perserverance and a variety of other attributes hard to quantify with a calculator. The team played fine against elite opponents, but struggled against lesser foes.

I can quantify the missing attributes!

Hint:
1.) A 3rd baseman that wasn't Pedro Feliz
2.) A 2nd baseman that wasn't Skip Schumaker
3.) A SS that OPSed above .600
4.) Colby Rasmus on the bench in favor of Jay-CF/Stavinoha or Winn-RF
5.) A suddenly porous bullpen
6.) With Rasmus on the bench, only 2 full-time players who had a SLG above the league median. This might've not been so bad if not for
7.) the fact the team was really loving slow and full of Thurstonesque baserunners

Brendan Ryan being kind of silly had nothing to do with ANY of the above problems. Brendan Ryan being kind of bad only had to do with ONE of the above problems.

Oh, but that's just a convenient excuse for statheads. poo poo, man; you don't need to be a stathead to see all the horrible flaws in the team last year.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

Bill Simmons apparently went through his book for the paperback release and excised references to people who wrote negative reviews of his book. This includes writer Charles P Pierce and (apparently) the Free Darko bloggers.

This is great because Simmons is so petty he'll take out a few words from one footnote in a 700 page book over a somewhat negative review. You'd think somebody friends with MALCOM GLADWELL or CHUCK KLOSTERMAN and hangs out on Sunday afternoons at KIMMEL'S HOUSE wouldn't care what one guy thinks.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FairGame posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the Cardinals trading Brendan Ryan is irrelevant. Doesn't stop columnists like Jeff Gordon from writing dumb things, though!

I can quantify the missing attributes!

Hint:
1.) A 3rd baseman that wasn't Pedro Feliz
2.) A 2nd baseman that wasn't Skip Schumaker
3.) A SS that OPSed above .600
4.) Colby Rasmus on the bench in favor of Jay-CF/Stavinoha or Winn-RF
5.) A suddenly porous bullpen
6.) With Rasmus on the bench, only 2 full-time players who had a SLG above the league median. This might've not been so bad if not for
7.) the fact the team was really loving slow and full of Thurstonesque baserunners

Brendan Ryan being kind of silly had nothing to do with ANY of the above problems. Brendan Ryan being kind of bad only had to do with ONE of the above problems.

Oh, but that's just a convenient excuse for statheads. poo poo, man; you don't need to be a stathead to see all the horrible flaws in the team last year.

Wrong. Here is why they were bad: Last year’s Cards lacked grit, focus, perserverance and a variety of other attributes hard to quantify with a calculator. The team played fine against elite opponents, but struggled against lesser foes.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
GODDAMN IT motherloving caluclators!!! Ruining my baseyball

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does Cowherd believe any of the things he says? This is a honest question as I can't tell if he's loving with me, trying to make people mad, or if he actually thinks he's right.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Does Cowherd believe any of the things he says? This is a honest question as I can't tell if he's loving with me, trying to make people mad, or if he actually thinks he's right.

I'd bet on a combination of the three.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cowherd's a troll that fell for his own trolling at some point.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

For people who don't read the Baseball Hall thread, I thought this was a good insight into some of the bizarre bad thinking of baseball journalists.

If you're lazy contrast the bolded paragraph with the finalists.

quote:

I'm going to mail out my Hall of Fame Ballot later this week and I would like to get some input from you, the reader.

First of all, let me preface all of this by saying that in my opinion, the Hall has been watered down so much that it doesn't have the true meaning anymore that it once did.

To me there is only one category of ball players that should be considered for the Hall of Fame. That category consists of those once in a generation type ball players that were dominant at their position during the era they played in for an extended period of time. These are players who changed the way the game was played and managed.

For hitters it meant that that you didn't want to pitch to them; you would rather walk them and concede the base runner. And if you did pitch to them, in hindsight, you regretted not walking them.

For pitchers it meant that you didn't want to hit against them; you altered your lineup, advised your players to alter approach at the plate, and in the end, none of it mattered anyway.

While only considering all time, once in a generation dominant players of their era extremely limits those that would be considered for the Hall of Fame, I'm not totally inflexible about considering players whose dominance existed for a shorter period of time. While there is no specific time period I have in mind as a cut off, the shorter the time, the more dominant the player would have had to be to be inducted. I like to call this the Sandy Koufax category. Sandy was so dominant for the 5 year period between 1962—1966 that his Hall of Fame status can't be denied.

In short, the MLB Hall of Fame should be reserved for the immortals of the sports. In 1936, when the hall of fame was created five "immortals" of the sport were inducted; Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson. If you take that bar and only induct players with the prowess of those individuals, there certainly would be many less players in the Hall.

Here's the list of thirty three eligible players on this year's HOF ballot. I've scratched out the obvious players who are eligible, those who were never considered one of the best who played at their position to begin with. I've also scratched out the compilers; unless they were dominant and feared...., no cigar. 25 years of average or even above average play that places a players cumulative statistics among the all time leaders is not excellence, it's simply a good MLB player who was able to play for a long time.

Of the guys remaining, you tell me who fits the criteria I laid out.

After we narrow this down, we can then talk about whether the steroid issue should affect any of those still not crossed out.

Roberto Alomar, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Lenny Harris, Bobby Higginson, Charles Johnson, Barry Larkin, Al Leiter, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Raul Mondesi, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Kirk Rueter, Benito Santiago, Lee Smith, B.J. Surhoff, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker.

(Former beat writer for the Expos) http://www.athbaseball.com/2010-archives/december/2011-mlb-hall-of-fame-ballot-help.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what in the everloving christ is that list

edit: that list is so loving bad i don't know where to begin

edit2: i'm inclined to believe that he just selected that list by doing a P(Yes)=1/3 random selection

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 16, 2010

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Haha that list owns because it makes no sense to either of the two typical sides to the argument

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm sorry Visual C# Express but you have just never been dominant. You can never make the Hall of Fame. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I love when people with lovely reasoning have really strong convictions because they just go on and on trying to justify their arguments and they just talk themselves into corners and then do these bizarre hat tricks to pull more poo poo out of their asses and the entire article becomes word salad.

Dominance is more than being an above-average, or even below-average player. It takes a certain level of play that goes beyond playing at that level and beyond the attitude it takes to make it without that level. 500 HRs used to be a thing of the past, but when players like Roberto Alomar are retiring with 2500 hits, that tells you that the game has changed and the standards for elite play are more than what we used to think they weren't. That's why I'm voting Carlos Baerga: Because not only does he exemplify those abilities, he dominates them.